Are there any other plus size and pregnant mama's out there?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 40 Old 05-30-2009, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I have just found out I am pregnant and I happend to be plus sized. I was wondering where to find some nice maternity clothes for women my size. I usually need shirts that are longer and I would like to find some nice "nature-y" looking dresses... sort of "hippy-ish" I guess you could say... clothing made out of patchwork, organic, and even hemp. Does anyone know where I can buy maternity clothing like how I described?

winner.jpgbftoddler.gif2ndtri.gif Catholic Mama to Liam, Rowan and one on the way! Wife to an amazing man. familybed1.gif blogging.jpg

#2 of 40 Old 05-30-2009, 04:17 PM

I have been wearing regular plus-size shirts (the ones that are longer than usual) with a bellyband like band around my belly underneath. They are great because you don't need to buy maternity clothes and it gives a very nice layered look.

For pants and skirts, I don't remember what you have in the US, but you sure have more options for plus-size mamas than we do over here
#3 of 40 Old 05-30-2009, 05:49 PM

It's difficult to find plus sized maternity clothes (real plus sized stuff anyhow). I've always found it kind of tough to find regular (non-maternity) plus size stuff like you describe. For basic stuff I've always had the most luck with ebay. ALso sometimes as a plus size mama you don't need too many maternity type pieces (particularly if you're looking for dresses and shirts).

Good luck!

Be, happy momma to Liberty (12-31-02), Henry (3-17-07) and Prudence (7-02-09)
#4 of 40 Old 05-30-2009, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Well, buying a bellyband is def. on my list this pregnancy. I wish I would have known about them in my last pregnancy. I guess I was just hoping to find a nice patchwork maternity dress or something. I'll keep looking or maybe i'll just make one myself ... who knows. Thanks for all the advice mamas.

winner.jpgbftoddler.gif2ndtri.gif Catholic Mama to Liam, Rowan and one on the way! Wife to an amazing man. familybed1.gif blogging.jpg

#5 of 40 Old 05-30-2009, 11:21 PM

Not pregnant *anymore*, but I am plus-sized, so thought I'd chime in...

I bought all of my maternity pants at Motherhood Maternity, but I pretty much live in jeans. I bought most of my tops either at MM and Target. Both have cute clothes that do not look like mumus and they have good sales. I got the majority of my tops for $8-15 a piece, and all of the clothes I bought fit me the entire pregnancy, though since I went to 42w1d, the tops got a little bit short in the last few weeks. Can't offer any advice on patchwork/hippyish clothes, but I am rather alternative in my style (goth-inspired) and was able to find plenty to suit my tastes, even in rather mainstream stores.

-
#6 of 40 Old 05-30-2009, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice!! I will have to check out target sometime soon.

#7 of 40 Old 05-30-2009, 11:31 PM

I picked up my pants at Motherhood Maternity off the clearance rack. They're the only ones I could find that were comfy & didn't feel like they were cutting into me.

I did get a couple tops that were longer at Macy's, I was pretty surprised but they're comfy & stretch to boot. Target had a few tops I liked too.

No idea on the dresses, I just don't wear them sorry

Sahm to 2 girls (17 & 15)& Cody (7/09).
#8 of 40 Old 05-31-2009, 12:06 AM

FWIW, I used rubber bands on my pants until about 12 weeks, at which point I bought the Bella bands, and then went to maternity pants at 15 weeks. The Bella bands seemed nice at first, but they kept rolling down/up and were a PITA to re-adjust every time I went to the bathroom or stood up from long periods of sitting. Maternity pants were much easier to deal with. I will be selling my Bella Bands b/c I won't want to use them again next pregnancy. Some people swear by them, though.

-
#9 of 40 Old 05-31-2009, 01:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I found it very difficult to find actual maternity clothes when I was pregnant. I stuck to larger plus sizes that were long or had gathering at the bust (which is quite popular right now). For bottoms I did find a couple of maternity items & the others were just larger sizes again.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#10 of 40 Old 05-31-2009, 02:51 AM
Banned

Me! I'm a 16 usually, sometimes (rarely) an 18. If you do find plus size clothing like what you described, let me know becuase I'm pretty well convinced it doesn't exist. You could try buying custom items from esty, though.

However, in general empire waisted blouses and dresses will fit you through pregnancy even if they are not maternity. Lots of hippie moms also swear by those thai fisherman pants.

Personally, I'm a fan of the yoga pant. I wear them all the time, with everything. By the time I get to around 6-7 months they are all that really is comfortable. I got most of my maternity stuff given to me from friends and my step mom found me a boatload of stuff from garage sales. But I did buy some stuff with our tax return form Gap Maternity. I also bought like three things from A Pea In The Pod (same company as Motherhood). I also like Japanese Weekend.

I saw this dress today at Old Navy, it's pretty flow-y (I saw it during an ill fated trip to see if their cheap bathing suits would fit my pregnant figure...hahahahaha no). However, even though Old Navy carries plus sizes, they don't seem to go up very high for their maternity stuff, (a trend I see a lot unfortunately. Apparently plus size women don't get pregnant according to the fashion industry...). But if you're a 20 or under it should work.

http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/produc...d=1&pid=653497
#11 of 40 Old 05-31-2009, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I like the dress (from old navy) I'm like a size 18-20 there...the thing is I have HUGE boobs. They dont fit into anything with a pretty top....I mean i'm just in my first trimester and I already bought a nursing bra because my underwire was hurting me and this nursing bra is a DDD (triple) and they are only going to get bigger. So basically if something fits me in my waist area...half the time my boobs wont fit the top... It pretty much sucks. :

#12 of 40 Old 05-31-2009, 03:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplemamaturtle5 View Post
Thanks. I like the dress (from old navy) I'm like a size 18-20 there...the thing is I have HUGE boobs. They dont fit into anything with a pretty top....I mean i'm just in my first trimester and I already bought a nursing bra because my underwire was hurting me and this nursing bra is a DDD (triple) and they are only going to get bigger. So basically if something fits me in my waist area...half the time my boobs wont fit the top... It pretty much sucks. :
The top of it has elastic I think...the XXL should fit you.
#13 of 40 Old 06-01-2009, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplemamaturtle5 View Post
Ahhh, I remember those Triple D days fondly, and wish that I were that small again! Sigh. That was before I was pg w/ my ds. I'm on to #2, and they've gone up in size yet again (they never really went down much between the two pgs).

Surprisingly, I have been able to find a couple Old Navy tops that actually are loose on me (in size XXL). The looser/flowy types of tops that are in style right now are helping that a bit- 2 years ago when I was pg w/ ds everything was still really tight in maternity (as in the style, not just because it didn't fit!).

With longer tops being in style too, I've found a few tops at Lane Bryant in my reg size that have been working as maternity tops, and I'm 8 months along now. I wore one of their summer dresses to church this morning. They also have some nice khaki-like capri pants that have an elastic waist- I bought them in all three colors (chocolate brown, dark green and light khaki), I'm able to wear them now (at 8 months) and I'll be able to wear them PP.

As for the specific style that you're looking for...I do wish you really good luck in finding them! It is a big PITA trying to find attractive maternity clothes in ANY style, muchless a specific style. I have not had good luck at Motherhood this season- their plus-sized tops aren't fitting me so well this pg, and most of them are so hideous I wouldn't wear them anyway. But, I'm not looking for career clothes this time, more casual.

As for yet another opinion on Bella Bands...I personally LOVE the 2 that I have. I don't find it a bother having to re-adjust it when I go to the bathroom because I've got to readjust my pants anyways. I've got a system down- and I'm just happy that I've got something that helps keep my pants up.

Married to my favorite man, homeschoolin' mama to a question-asking bug hunter (6) ; a twirling, shy, silly girl (4); a hurricane of boy energy (2), and expecting #4 in April 2014.
#14 of 40 Old 06-01-2009, 01:26 PM

The only plus-sized maternity clothes I've been able to find is JC Penneys. Target around here doesn't carry crap. But Penney's run small. The 2x tops, which should be big on me at 24 weeks are already tight, and not going to last the rest of the pregnancy. Yet my 2x non-maternity tops still fit except in the length.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#15 of 40 Old 06-01-2009, 01:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
The only plus-sized maternity clothes I've been able to find is JC Penneys. Target around here doesn't carry crap. But Penney's run small. The 2x tops, which should be big on me at 24 weeks are already tight, and not going to last the rest of the pregnancy. Yet my 2x non-maternity tops still fit except in the length.
Yeah, Target has the worst selection of maternity clothes EVER. There is a decent amount on the website (though not much over a size 16/18), but NOTHING In the stores. I don't get that, we're in the midst of a huge baby boom. I just went there to buy a maternity swimsuit, which was really expensive for Target prices I thought...and I had to get the bottoms in the plus size department becuase they didn't have any maternity ones. Apparenly, they run small (they are the teenybopper Xhiliration brand bottoms), my size 16-behind needed a 3x. Usually a 1x is on the large side for me.

I don't need any more clothes, but if I did I'd definitely check out Penny's. The weird sizing in maternity is so annoying though. Sometimes an XL is ginormous on me, other times, I can barely fit into it. In fact, I have a few XL tops from Motherhood that were given to me which I totally grew out of...at 7 months
#16 of 40 Old 06-01-2009, 05:29 PM

I don't like the bella/belly bands at all. I had morning sickness during the time that they would have been useful, and I couldn't stand anything tight around my belly. What a waste of money!

I found most of my maternity wear at resale/thrift shops. Since my hips widened, I have purchased many dresses (I can't find pants that I would wear in public except some maternity gaunchos from Walmart online). Half of the dresses I have are from the regular plus sizes, but have enough fabric/flow to work for maternity.

Happily married mom to DS (Aug 09) and two furry troublemakers.

#17 of 40 Old 06-01-2009, 05:35 PM

It depends on "how" plus sized you are? 1X and under is decently easy to find online, but anything 2X and over is very hard.

And if you are 3X and above it is VERY hard to find.

And most retailers "plus" sizes run rather SMALL. :

Lane Bryant is no longer selling maternity clothes, which were some of the "nicest".

I too vote for finding bigger sizes of the same clothes you wear.

Resistance is futile Matey
#18 of 40 Old 06-01-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thystle View Post

Lane Bryant is no longer selling maternity clothes, which were some of the "nicest".

I too vote for finding bigger sizes of the same clothes you wear.
BUMMER! I loved LB's maternity line. I have quite a few peices from my first pregnancy. I will reuse those and try to do some second hand shopping. I also recommend Motherhood Maternity-good for t-shirts and comfy pants...

Liz ~wife to an amazing man~mama to 2 beautiful sons~trodding through babylon~ loving JAH~rainbow1284.gif

#19 of 40 Old 06-01-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula Fairie View Post
Yeah, Target has the worst selection of maternity clothes EVER. There is a decent amount on the website (though not much over a size 16/18), but NOTHING In the stores. I don't get that, we're in the midst of a huge baby boom. I just went there to buy a maternity swimsuit, which was really expensive for Target prices I thought...and I had to get the bottoms in the plus size department becuase they didn't have any maternity ones. Apparenly, they run small (they are the teenybopper Xhiliration brand bottoms), my size 16-behind needed a 3x. Usually a 1x is on the large side for me.
I actually find quite a few maternity things at my Target, but I live in a fairly large town. The pants, I agree, run small, so I didn't buy any there, but I loved the tops!

-
#20 of 40 Old 06-01-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filiadeluna View Post
I actually find quite a few maternity things at my Target, but I live in a fairly large town. The pants, I agree, run small, so I didn't buy any there, but I loved the tops!
That's the crazy thing, I live in a major metro area, with a very *large* population, and the plus sized women's clothes are a joke at Target... and plus-sized maternity is non-existant (the entire maternity section is the size of my very small bathroom).

Which is sick, because the Target where I used to live (in a city, but not one near the size where I live now) had a great plus-sized section, and a large maternity section.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

#21 of 40 Old 06-01-2009, 10:18 PM

I'm plus sized, I wear a 20-22/2x normally. I found a pair of super stretchy maternity jeans at Kohls in a size XL that are very comfortable for me. They are my 'going out' pants, and I wear my yoga pants at home. I found a couple plus sized tops at Walmart that are gathered and somewhat fitted on the top but loose from the bust down and tie in the back. I just got them a size up from what I normally wear and I think they will last me through this pg. I ordered some XXL tops from Old Navy but I have doubts that they will fit when they get here. I want to order some things from Motherhood's plus size site but it's soooo expensive and I'm waiting for a good sale or sale code!
#22 of 40 Old 06-01-2009, 10:29 PM
Banned

can anyone suggest a good pair of panties that will fit me (size 16, very wide hips)? I bought some from Motherhood and the XL panties are too small!!! They should fit fine and they don't.

The panties don't have to be maternity, though I'd prefer it I know maternity panties don't exist if you're plus size (do they?). Bikini style is what I'm looking for, I hate any waistband touching my belly.
#23 of 40 Old 06-01-2009, 10:45 PM

Quote:
can anyone suggest a good pair of panties that will fit me (size 16, very wide hips)? I bought some from Motherhood and the XL panties are too small!!! They should fit fine and they don't.

The panties don't have to be maternity, though I'd prefer it I know maternity panties don't exist if you're plus size (do they?). Bikini style is what I'm looking for, I hate any waistband touching my belly.
I don't know if they have them in bikini style, but I was just in Motherhood yesterday and they had plus-sized (1X, 2X, and 3X) maternity underwear. I was actually surprised at how much of a plus size selection (not just underwear) they had. I didn't remember them having as much from my other pregnancies. No bathing suits, though.

Lisa , mom to Isaac (9/1/03), Violet (6/19/06), Simon (10/9/09); wife to Eric ; handservant to Grace :
#24 of 40 Old 06-01-2009, 10:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TortelliniMama View Post
I don't know if they have them in bikini style, but I was just in Motherhood yesterday and they had plus-sized (1X, 2X, and 3X) maternity underwear. I was actually surprised at how much of a plus size selection (not just underwear) they had. I didn't remember them having as much from my other pregnancies. No bathing suits, though.
Man! My motherhood did NOT. They had bathing suits in normal sizes only as well.
#25 of 40 Old 06-02-2009, 01:23 AM

Quote:

The only panties I buy anymore are Lane Bryant's "string" bikinis. They're low cut so they sit under my belly (can't stand over-the-belly even not pregnant), and the elastic is actually long/stretchy enough to fit over my hips. And they're sized the same as their pants, so none of this guessing "what size is a 5 in real sizes?" In the store they usually have a selection of this style in cotton and another in satin, but I couldn't find the satin on their website. I liked the satin better right up until I got pregnant, but now I'm all about cotton.

#26 of 40 Old 06-02-2009, 01:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
The only panties I buy anymore are Lane Bryant's "string" bikinis. They're low cut so they sit under my belly (can't stand over-the-belly even not pregnant), and the elastic is actually long/stretchy enough to fit over my hips. And they're sized the same as their pants, so none of this guessing "what size is a 5 in real sizes?" In the store they usually have a selection of this style in cotton and another in satin, but I couldn't find the satin on their website. I liked the satin better right up until I got pregnant, but now I'm all about cotton.
I hate those panties with a passion! If I get them big enough so they don't cut into my hips, they are loose and baggy in the crotch. They DO NOT fit me. I'm surprised they fit anyone! Also they are higher cut on me, especially for a bikini. They never worked for me in pregnancy, esp this one where I am carrying really low.
#27 of 40 Old 06-02-2009, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Well I was at my local walmart (which has virtually nothing for maternity) and found some size XL maternity panties, the brand was announcments... THEY SUCK!! $9.00 for 3 pairs and I've had them for about 3 days and each one of them has fallen apart within a few hours NO JOKE!! They elastic is coming apart and shredding here and there...holes too!! UGH!! They are really comfy at first, but then they just fall apart. : Just passing on my experiences!!

#28 of 40 Old 06-02-2009, 02:14 PM

I'm not currently pregnant, but when I was I had a lot of luck finding maternity clothes at Sears. Their maternity line (2 Hearts) is actually an off-shoot from Motherhood. I actually found that most of their plus-sized clothing was a little big on me, which felt good since all of Motherhood's and Target's stuff was too tight. And yes, the had maternity panties in all styles in the plus sizes! Of course this was about 2 years ago, so things might have changed... but it can't hurt to look!

Mom to retired nursling Lily (6/22/07) and wife to my wonderful DH since 3/19/05
Baby Aerick is here! Born at 40+6 on 5/16/10
#29 of 40 Old 06-02-2009, 03:45 PM

I'm liking this thread! As frustrating it is to find maternity clothing for myself, I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one having issues finding attractive clothing.

1) Sears has since changed brands of maternity clothing. I had good luck there too....two years ago. It's not 2Hearts anymore. I went back this year, and I was disgusted. Very yucky. NOTHING (and I mean NOTHING) looked attractive.

2) I am a huge fan of Lane Bryant's undies in general. That's all I wear not pregnant, and last time I wore them all the way through my ds's pregnancy. I'm a fan of their cotton hiptsers, they're stretchy enough to go under my belly and not be tight, and they stay up too, for the most part. This time I've also discovered their microfiber ones w/ the lace band at the top. For me, they're even more comfortable than the cotton ones. The lace band has more give in it, so it's even more comfy under the belly.

3) I'm jealous at whomever found a good selection at their Motherhood! My local store has downsized their plus collection even more- we used to get part of a wall section, and now we're down to just 2 racks, and it's like they never get anything new in. I still haven't bought a thing there this time (and I spent a TON of money on clothes for work there last time).

Married to my favorite man, homeschoolin' mama to a question-asking bug hunter (6) ; a twirling, shy, silly girl (4); a hurricane of boy energy (2), and expecting #4 in April 2014.
#30 of 40 Old 06-02-2009, 04:05 PM
Banned

I'm jealous too. My motherhood is actually a "Destination Maternity" store which means it's a combo of A Pea In The Pod and Motherhood. Basically it's a huge selection of (tiiiiny) A Pea In The Pod clothes, and a little corner in the back of the store crammed with Motherhood clothes. It's clear which brand they want you to buy. And you know, I would buy more Pea in the Pod stuff....if their size L wasn't a 10-12 :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page