July Mamas - Jan 20-31 thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 65 Old 01-20-2004, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Someone had asked previously if we could break up the thread twice a month, so I thought I'd start it out, even if it's a bit late.

Not much new to report here - I still can't kick this cold. I'm on week 3 now, and although I am not deathy ill, all I want to do is lay in bed all day. Just going up and down the stairs wears me out.

I felt the baby move last week, but then haven't felt it since. It was very cool though, and unmistakeable.

Oh, the exciting news is that I'm meeting with a 2nd midwife this Friday, which I'm very much looking forward to. I had a dream last night that I had scheduled 2 midwives to come interview at the same time and it was a disaster!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 65 Old 01-20-2004, 02:13 PM

Hope you're feeling better SOON, Oceanbaby!

Between my late nights with rehearsals, and ds not sleeping, I'm just exhausted. Ds was running a fever last night, and was up from 3:30 - 4:30. It could have been worse - usually it's two hours when he's sick. And now that he's in his "big boy bed," I can lie next to him on the floor and sleep a little too.

I felt the baby again last night. It had been a few days, and it was a relief to feel some motion.
#3 of 65 Old 01-20-2004, 02:43 PM

HI I'm Stacey..due the end of July... with #2

It seems like after I hit that 12 week mark a few days ago...I feel
just fine again! I thought I'd be sick to my stomach forever!

I gained 10 pounds in late november, but lost 8 of it....so now I've gained 3 lbs so far....

currently interviewing midwives, we just decided to forgo the birthing center and have the baby at home!
I'm so excited..and a little uncertain..but I think we found a good midwife...
and my moms an ICU RN for 25 yrs now...

Got some energy back too....my current confusion is posted
under the thread titled."Baby Name Help"

oceanbaby + ebeth~I can't WAIT to feel some flutters! Such a precious time! When did they start?
ebeth~ poor baby..hope he gets over his fever soon..Chloe had one last month up to 102!
With that crazy flu...just a chore to keep them hydrated..

Great thread! I hope to chat with more July mamas!
hugs,
Stacey
mama Chloe Jade #2 due in July (planning a homebirth!)

~mama to some wonderful kids
#4 of 65 Old 01-20-2004, 03:43 PM

Hi, sunfairy, glad you could join us. I'm planning a homebirth too. Check out the 'Homebirth' forum. I hear you about feeling like you'd be sick forever, and then one day...poof! Incredible.

oceanbaby, I wanted to mention that I think it would be a good idea to post a link to the new thread in the old thread if you start one, or just say you've started one so we know. I don't want anyone to miss out on the fun. By the way, sorry you are so sick....get well soon!

I have my first midwife appointment in a week. Quite a relief to have finally found one. I hope I like her.

Now that I am feeling better sometimes I don't even feel pregnant. So I look forward to hearing the heartbeat. Or feeling movement....which should be soon...

Hope everyone's doing well....
#5 of 65 Old 01-20-2004, 04:13 PM

sunfairy,
I'm in AZ too! It sounds like you are about a week behind me with your due date. Aren't you excited to be huge for these AZ summers? I just moved to Tucson from Tempe. It is a little adjustment getting to know where things are again.

So, is just about everyone here going to use a midwife?
#6 of 65 Old 01-20-2004, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hanging in there! I finally told a coworker last week I was pg, but haven't told my bosses or anyone else yet. That's a little nerve wracking... I'm a teacher and just started at this school this year, so it's a little uncomfortable.

Do the rest of you work outside the home?

What are your birth plans at this point? Are you planning a hospital birth? Birth center? Home birth? Will you have an OB, midwife, or family practitioner deliver the baby?

My first birth was with a midwife in the hospital. For this birth, I'm using the same midwifery practice, but am planning on using the birth center they run. I'm also seriously considering hynobirthing classes.

Can't wait to hear your plans!
#7 of 65 Old 01-20-2004, 04:53 PM

Part of me is still wishing for a homebirth. Right now I'm planning on delivering in the closest hospital with a midwife. I have a whole list of questions for her at my next appointment (Friday). I'm hoping that she has the answers I'm looking for! I want some reassurance that I CAN have the kind of birth that I want in a hospital.

I really like my midwife, but I feel the "us vs. them" mentality in her office. She is the only midwife in a very large OB practice. The office is in the hospital. I really would prefer an environment where natural childbirth is the norm! But the amazing birth center across the river is out of network for our insurance.

I haven't decided my plan of action for maternity leave yet. With ds, I took 4 months off from teaching, but only two months off from my orchestra jobs. I think I might switch it around this time. I'm considering taking the whole season off from playing. I travel to play with both orchestras, and the time away is just hard. But I want to wait until they post next season's repertoire! There might be something on the list that I just can't resist.

I've told all of my students about this baby. But I haven't told the program director yet. I have very little contact with her. I haven't seen her since October, and talked with her once in December. Maybe I'll tell her in May or June!

Ds is feeling much better! His fever was 103.8 in the middle of the night, but he's bopping around now. His appetite is lagging, but not his energy level! He did throw up his Tylenol this morning. Every time he has a fever, he throws up. On me. Blech. Thank goodness my morning sickness has passed!
#8 of 65 Old 01-20-2004, 05:29 PM

Oh thats so neat!
happay...my cousin is pregnant..due in march I think..she's in Tucson too!! If you need a midwife..I can ask her who she's using...
I am just soaking up everything in the homebirth forum right now..I'm so glad there's so much info available!

happy and healthy 9 months to everyone!

~mama to some wonderful kids
#9 of 65 Old 01-20-2004, 05:59 PM

At this time I don't have plans to use a midwife. My insurance covers all of my medical expenses if I use the doctor that they have assigned me. She's really nice, so it is all ok with me. I will be going to the Nortwest Tucson Birthing Center when the time comes. It seems like they have really nice facilities.
#10 of 65 Old 01-20-2004, 06:53 PM

Hi all! I've been MIA due to a huge accreditation survey at work that I was in charge of. Many, many 14 hour days in the past couple of weeks. Luckily I was able to sleep the weekend away! And we did really well too!

Everyone at work now knows and we told our nearly five year old last week too (he's very excited, but also very much wants a girl... have some work to do to help him understand that it really isn't up to us!).

My morning sickness is mostly gone (a day now and again). But now my stomach seems to have shrunk. More than a few bites of food and I feel stuffed! I eat a normal lunch, feel yucky all afternoon and then am still too full for dinner.

I will be delivering at the same hospital where I had my other two. They are extremely supportive of a non-medicated, low intervention birth experience. The downside (maybe an upside) is that their hospital midwives are not the same people you see for your prenatal care. BUT, I had excellent midwives who really took time to read my birth plan and never pushed medication or even an IV on me when I didn't want it! I was able to move around, shower, deliver on my side, eat and drink... totally up to me! I love that I can have this low-tech birth AND a level III NICU across the hall should I need it! For me it's the best of both worlds.
#11 of 65 Old 01-20-2004, 07:07 PM

It's nice to have the boards back! Although I'm not a frequent poster, I do read the boards daily, and I missed them when they were down!

I think that the last time I posted I said I was feeling better...I just knew I'd jinx myself! I'm back in near-full force yuck mode again; what's up with that?!

I honestly don't know at this point where I'll be birthing this baby. I've had 3 babies at home, 1 with a doctor, 2 *beautiful* births with midwives; I've also had 5 babies in the hospital, for varying reasons. My youngest baby was a c-section after he went into serious distress following an external version, so I'm looking at VBAC this time around.

Part of me wants to get back into the "normalcy" of birth, and just have my midwives attend the birth at home. Another part of me, though, has slipped into the "medical" mode with the last 3 of my births (all 3 took place in the hospital, all 3 had something out-of-the-ordinary going on). So, to feel completely comfortable at home, I need to do some mind- and soul-searching.

If I go to the hospital, I'll either have my family practitioner, her OB partner (haven't met her yet, but have heard very good things), or one of two former homebirth midwives attend the birth. This seems like a really good group of ladies, and I think I have a very good chance of getting everything I want at the hospital (except we'll have to negotiate on that EFM), but....*it's not home!* KWIM?

Joni, due 7-17-ish
#12 of 65 Old 01-20-2004, 08:16 PM

ebethmom - what kinds of questions are you asking your midwife? I'll be meeting with one on the 27th and honestly have no clue what to ask.

I feel that my stomach has shrunk too - I can fit less food in but am hungry quite frequently. I had escaped m/s the whole first trimester and then at 13 weeks, bam - puke! The weird thing was I felt nauseous for three days, puked horribly on the fourth day and then woke up feeling brand new the next day and have been feeling less tired and more "normal" than I had during the first trimester for the past few days (knock on wood that it remains).

I've also finally gotten used to the idea that I'm pg and am feeling less fragile about it so I'm focusing on other things ..... maybe that sounds weird, but this being my first pregnancy ever - I just was sooooo focused on it that I couldn't focus on other projects. I'm finally getting back to getting other things done in a serious way ........ a bit of energy helps!

I will be delivering in a hospital with a midwife. Initially I had an OB and I truly HATED her so I dumped her and will be meeting with the m/w in a week for the first time. Hoping I love her.
#13 of 65 Old 01-20-2004, 09:46 PM

Hello! My name is Liba and I am due with number three on July 24th. I am going to be delivering with a parinatologist at the hospital if I make it, otherwise at home UC. I have dangerous pregnancies, placental clotting, low amniotic fluid, folate defficiency. My first has mild CP so the parinatologist following my pregnancy is really what I need.

On the other hand my labors are awesome. The births of my daughters left me empowered and loving my body. My first was induced at 34.5 weeks (100% medically necessary) and it was a good labor despite the pit and only took 4.5 hours. My second I made it to 38 weeks and went into labor 5-6cm and 70-80% effaced and had an awesome 30 minute labor LOL INTENSE but leaving me ready to do it all over again.

I look forward to getting to know all of you!

Liba
#14 of 65 Old 01-20-2004, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Welcome, Liba! Nice to have you join us!
#15 of 65 Old 01-20-2004, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome everyone!

We are torn on what we are going to do right now. We are interviewing midwives for a homebirth, but we had a perfectly great hospital experience with ds - no drugs, no interventions, everything just as I wanted it (well, aside from pushing for 3 hours!).

Anyway, I mainly want to do a homebirth this time because I do not want to be separated from ds. I have never spent the night away from him, and I feel like that would just be an extra stress and worry for me. Plus, I just love the idea of how much more involved he would feel if it happened at home.

So we're torn. Much of it will depend on if we find a midwife that both dh and I feel comfortable with.
#16 of 65 Old 01-20-2004, 11:53 PM

Welcome to all the new ladies! Congratulations on your pregnancies! My due date has been changed to Aug. 1st instead of the first date of 7/19. My pants get tighter every day so around the house I've been wearing leggings or maternity jeans. It's so much more comfortable. Being that this is #3 I figure I should be popping out pretty soon. Speaking of #3 I've already been getting comments about "so soon" I mean for goodness sakes, my youngest will be almost 2.5 and my oldest almost 5!

Gotta go, Saige wants mum mums.

SAHM to the munchkins (14.5, 11.5, 9.5, 3, and almost 2)
#17 of 65 Old 01-21-2004, 02:47 AM

Man, what a month so far! I had to make an emergancy trip to Oregon, my grandfather is dying and they thought it was "the time" , then I got stuck there! I snow/ice storm blew in and I could leave! he airport was closed. I come back and I find out we are totally broke! so I was freaking out!
Then suddenly I realized that, I hadn't spent anytime this month so far being intune with my baby, or my body. And that made me sad. I feel bad that I haven't really connected with this little one, and so this last week I have been trying to really get focused on this little one. If nothing else at least put out some good vibes for the little critter.
It also helped that DH and I had a talk and really made some good plans for our money. So hopeful it will all go well. I feel better about it anyway!

Heather

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#18 of 65 Old 01-21-2004, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Yay - I felt the baby again last night. I'm 15 weeks, and have only felt him/her twice, but it's still very exciting!
#19 of 65 Old 01-21-2004, 02:13 PM

Goodmorning ladies! Thanks for starting a new thread oceanbaby! I felt the baby move last night, and not just the fluttery movements from before. It was a definate roll and little kick. I am in love I am just about 15 weeks along. I have some days were I don't feel pregnant, I am feeling so good. I am having another homebirth waterbirth. I am reading a great book right now, Birth Reborn by Michel Odent.Very positive and lovely. My daughters are so excited that I have a little belly now. They keep asking when my belly will be huge
Healthy vibes to those of you not feeling well!
Brandi

reading.gif

mom to dd-99, dd-01, dd-born still@40w 7/04, ds-05, dd-08, dd-10, dd-13

love and light

#20 of 65 Old 01-21-2004, 03:00 PM

congrats on feeling your babies move ChildoftheMoon and oceanbaby. I can't wait for that.

I have a question for your mamaofthree...what do you do to get in tune with your baby? At this point, the baby can't hear us talking can it? I think little thoughts towards my tummy, but I know that is just comforting to me. So, I really am curious because I know throughout the day I have all kinds of thoughts that are not productive or pleasant and would like to do something to counteract that.
#21 of 65 Old 01-21-2004, 03:33 PM

Well, for me right now, what I have been trying to do is when I get up in the morning, sitting up tall and trying to think posative thoughts, sort of meditate a little, get some good energy flowing.
The problem I was having was that, I felt that we had made a HUGE mistake getting pregnant right now, and that I had really only had negative thoughts. I mean even when I first heard the heart beat, which in all my other pregnancies has been a HUGe big happy deal, it was like I didn't even care. I didn't even have the kids come into the living room to hear it. My daughter was really upset by that. Part of that was the fact that I was just meeting the midwife and just got done talking price... which about made me puke. And the whole time I was think "I really screwed up", so I wasn't really happy with the whole deal.
Which all though I never "said" anything out loud, I had a lot of bad energy and feelings toward the baby... and really towards myself.
My DH and I have talked and this is most likely the last baby we are going to have, so I would really like it to be a good and healthy and posative emotional experience.
Was that TMI???:

Heather

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#22 of 65 Old 01-21-2004, 03:33 PM

I'm at 16 and a half weeks right now. WOW! I can't believe it. All through my pregnancy with #1, I counted every day, and I always new the precise "amount" I'd been pregnant. With this one, I just had to look at a calendar to count the weeks. And I'm 16 and a half weeks??? Holy crap. I'm almost halfways there.

I'm busy with my baby most of the time. I don't have many me-moments to reflect and send good vibes to the little baby, within me. I try my best, though, and I think every positive thought and feeling *does* do more than you think. We are conscious beings, after all.

I can't wait to be large and lovely in the summer-time. I'll shock everyone with my huge belly hanging out. Haeven (baby#1) was born december 5 th, so I'm doing opposites here.

I've been feeling the baby move more and more, but I can tell this one is going to be as laid back as #1. I also think it's a boy.
#23 of 65 Old 01-21-2004, 03:48 PM

Hi everyone,

I have missed the boards so much...I've also been extremely busy and haven't had time to post anyway. I had another appointment with my midwife last night. I just love her whole way of being...very relaxed and positive. She really listens to me...asks how I'm doing and then just waits to see what I'm going to say. With my first daughter and the GROUP of obs I used, I always felt like asking how I was feeling was just a formality and they weren't really listening. Anyway, so glad I found her.

I have felt movement every now and then for about 2 to 3 weeks now (I am almost 17 weeks). I have to be doing absolutely nothing and be lucky to catch it at the right time though so still not consistent. I love when I feel it though...

We are planning a hospital birth with my midwife mentioned above. I'll be taking Bradley with a dear friend who has had 2 beautiful natural births since Dh is not equipped emotionally to be the positive force I know that I will need during labor and delivery. I am sending in my registration and deposit today so excited to find out when classes start.

Hope you all are well rested and feeling strong

Jen

jen mommy to dd1 (11y), dd2 (6y) and ds (3y)
#24 of 65 Old 01-21-2004, 05:14 PM

momaofthree
I don't think it was TMI. And, I am positive that you are not the only person who has had a negative thought or two about being pregnant or about the timing or about any aspect of being pregnant. My pregnancy was not planned and I really never planned to be pregnant at all in my life. It has been an adjustment, as so many things in life are. That is also why I was curious about sending postive energy and thoughts to the baby. Don't be hard on yourself. I am sure you will love this baby as much as your other children and he/or she will know just how much they are loved even if the timing of their arrival was not perfect.
#25 of 65 Old 01-21-2004, 11:53 PM

Hi ladies!!!

I am also sixteen and a half weeks. I hate this limbo period of pregnancy.......I'm not nauseous and sick anymore (which is nice) but I'm not big and obviously pregnant and not feeling huge movements constantly....I have to remind myself that I'm pregnant. I do feel the baby move probably once a day or so....but really, really light movements that I can't be totally sure about. Every few days I'll feel a definite, bigger baby movement..so I mostly wait and anticipate those moments. After having months of feeling like "I can hardly deal with the three kids I've got....what happens when this fourth baby is a toddler!!!!" I am starting to feel SUPER excited about this baby coming....I can't wait to cuddle and nurse a fresh, tiny baby....I can't wait to tote the baby around in the sling..... I am still dealing with some apprehension about labor because of my last birth ....which was long and hard (although drug and intervention free) and SUPER painful....all mostly due to the fact that I was not working with my body. But I am getting over that and am determined to make this labor and delivery a good one.

I just heard the heart beat yesterday for the first time. It was actually a scary experience....she couldn't find the heart beat right away and had to search for a few minutes and then when she finally found it it was really faint and quiet....but it was there. I know this baby is fine and will be born healthy....but it was still scary. This happend at the clinic orientation. I can't wait for my real appointment next week with the midwife to hear it again and get some reasurrance, etc.

We have sort of decided to do another hospital birth with a CNM. All our kids have been born that way. In my heart I want a homebirth, though. We are poor and on medicaid which completly covers a hospital birth, and homebirths in our area are at least two thousand dollars....so we really can't afford a homebirth. Plus, I have to admit that with my last baby I REALLY enjoyed the two days alone with my baby in teh hospital.....I still think I am going to call around to see if there are any midwives in my area who are feeling really giving and will do my birth for cheap...we'll see.

I've been wearing maternity pants for almost a month now....anyone else? I feel obviously pregnant...but probably am not totally to a lot of people because I am also overweight....any other overweight mammas who can't wait for their bellies to be sticking way out for the right reason? I am about a size 14. I actually lost 40 pounds before this pregnancy and plan on restarting my exercise regime in the next few days (during first trimester I did NOT feel like exercising at ALL!) and plan on building more muscle and loosing more fat even though I am pregnant. I did this with my ds#2 and I had the most wonderful labor and delivery becuase my body was healthier.

Heidi : Married for 15 years, expecting our 8th baby in July!

#26 of 65 Old 01-22-2004, 09:56 AM

[....I can't wait to tote the baby around in the sling.....

This cracked me up, because I am the same way! I make slings and have all these cool fabrics! I keep thinking, I want one in this fabric! No! This fabric! Oh wait! I don't have anyone to carry in it! LOL! My 2 year-old is not having any of that these days....

And I can't believe how huge my belly is at 14 weeks. I guess it's a result of the second pregnancy. My friend lent me a pair of pants with that wide underbelly elastic feature and they are great for this stage! My maternity pants from my 1st pregnancy are still huge.
#27 of 65 Old 01-22-2004, 12:39 PM

Snowbaby - I tried to answer your question the other night, but bath time ended early. I make sure I'm out of the computer room before ds finds me. Otherwise I'm stuck nursing in the computer chair. Not very comfortable!

Here are some of the questions that I have for my midwife. I want to ask her about Beta Strep. I want to know when she tests, and how she responds to positive tests. I'm hoping to hear that the level of colonization and the degree of symptoms affect her decision to medicate. I don't want an automatic hook up to IV antibiotics.

I also want to know if she will help me have a private, lowkey birth. I don't want the cast of thousands at my feet chanting "PUSH PUSH!" I want the hospital staff kept to a minimum.

I'm also going to ask about fetal monitoring. I had a gazillion medical interventions with ds. I had preeclampsia, and had to be induced two weeks early. So there was cytotec, pitocin, a catheter, continuous blood pressure cuff, IV, and internal fetal monitoring (the worst pain of the entire labor!). I don't want to be strapped down or stuck with sharp objects! I don't want a single shred of paper tape touching my body - I hate that stuff!

On the lighter side, I want to know if she has any recommendations for a Bradley Method instructor. I already know that she considers a doula unnecessary, since she will be with me during the entire labor.

Time to head out - I just got a whiff of poopy diaper from the next room.
#28 of 65 Old 01-22-2004, 01:04 PM

hi all! Talk about belly poping out - holy cow! Yesterday i felt huge! I'm not sure how i feel today yet. It official. i can't button my biggest pair of jeans. oh well. baby is doing well and was very active yesterday but i am so sad 'cause my big baby, my 2 yr old, is weaning! I don't know that i am ready to give up nursing him. i love holding him and watching him nurse! he did nurse a little this morning but that was the first time in 2 days! right now i just can't even think that he will never nurse again - it's too sad!
anyway, i have a lot to do today so i better get moving!
peace,

Peace and health, Jenny - Mama to my love 12/01, my lovely 7/04, and my beloved 10/06, and one angel. ****5****10****15***20****25****30****35***bellycast.gif40**
#29 of 65 Old 01-22-2004, 02:22 PM

Hi everyone. I'm 16 1/2 weeks now with #2. I've been in maternity clothes for a while now. I felt the baby move at 14 weeks and have been feeling daily movement for a week or so now. I just love the feeling. With ds, I felt the first movement at 15 weeks and then nothing until 20 weeks. He was never much of a kicker and always worried me. He's 18 months now and doesn't stop moving!

I'm trying for a vbac and will be in the hospital. My regular doc was on vacation when ds was born and he was delivered by a doctor I had never met. There were alot of factors leading up to my c-section. My regluar doc is going to allow me to go for the vbac although he doesn't usually recommend them. If he starts to talk repeat c-section, I'm finding a new caregiver. There aren't many doc, midwives or hospitals willing to do vbacs anymore around here.

With ds, I had an ultrasounds every 4 weeks to check my cervix. I had a cone biopsy done years ago and we were afraid of a weak cervix. I never had any problems. I went to the specialist a few weeks ago for an ultrasound to check my cervix this time around and he told me since I had no problems last time and everything looks good this time, there is no reason for me to keep going to see him. It was very cool to watch the baby grow last time (ultrasounds every 4 weeks from 7 to 27 weeks) but I'm very glad not to have that many again.
#30 of 65 Old 01-22-2004, 02:27 PM

I wanted to add that my ds is still nursing, and secretly, I hope he weans himself very soon. When I was around 6 weeks pg it started hurting so bad to nurse. At the time I didn't know I was pg. I went to my doc cause I was in so much pain nursing. My nipples were cracked and bleeding. I though I had an infection or something. Well my doc said "did you know you are pregnant?" Um, no I didn't. This was a surprise. About 12 weeks, the pain did get alot better but it still hurts. Ds nurses alot less now. First thing in the morning (this is very important to him) and before naps and bed. I can tell my supply has really dropped. I don't want to wean him, but if he weans himself, that's fine. It will be a sad day though.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page