Procardia? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-03-2009, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am almost 20 wks and OB put me on procardia yesterday for PTL. I'm having some horrible headaches, just wondering if anyone else has or is taking procardia and if you've noticed headaches? Also, I'm getting serious dizzies when I get up, but it says that might happen at first on the info packet.

Jen-loving Bill, mama to Teryn 18, Kalyn 16, Ricky 13, Natalie 5, Angel Zoe '07 and rainbow1284.gifAmelia Rae 22 mos bonus kids (dss) W 14, W 13 NEW grandbaby due 10/10/11

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 06-03-2009, 10:11 AM
rrs

I was on Procardia with my first pregnancy, and yes, I did get headaches. It is due to the lowering of your blood pressure.

Rebecca, mama to Carter Elliot , 06 November 07, Holden Oliver, 10 November 09, and Harper Lucinda Amelie, 26 September 11 and someone new, coming at the end of September 2013.

#3 of 8 Old 06-03-2009, 11:52 AM

That is a common side effect.

I was on nifedipine (procardia) from 27-35 weeks due to PTL. I was lucky enough to never get the headaches, but I did get dizzy quite often and it made my heart race and my blood pressure plummit. I knew it was a blood pressure medication, but because I already have a lower bp (110/65), it really made it drop.

Lindsay - Mum to Logan (May 3, 2007), Graysen (June 26, 2009) and welcoming somebody new in September 2011!
#4 of 8 Old 06-03-2009, 01:09 PM

I've been on it since last Friday. For the first couple of days the headaches were awful - hated taking it but knew I had to. Then, it started getting a little better. Now, I just get a light headache for about an hour or so after I take it.

I also flush bright red on my neck and cheeks for about an hour or so (the rest of me gets a little pinker). Not really dizzy. As others, my blood pressure is naturally low (100/60) so I'm surprised I don't get the dizzy/blackout feeling.

I've also timed it where I take one at 5:00 am (get out of bed, take it, go back to bed and sleep through the next hour), one at 1:00 pm and then again at 9:00 pm. If I don't take them exactly 8 hours apart I get lots of really strong contractions. Otherwise, I have mild to medium contractions while on it.

My doc said she wanted me to get to 34 weeks and then I could stop taking it. She wants me off of it as soon as possible. I'm looking on the bright side that it's only three more weeks.
#5 of 8 Old 06-03-2009, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, Ladies. I, too, have low BP normally so I guess the dizzies will be normal for me. Did you notice that the unwanted side-effects wore off after you got used to the meds? The pharm said that this would be the case once I got used to them.

Jen-loving Bill, mama to Teryn 18, Kalyn 16, Ricky 13, Natalie 5, Angel Zoe '07 and rainbow1284.gifAmelia Rae 22 mos bonus kids (dss) W 14, W 13 NEW grandbaby due 10/10/11

#6 of 8 Old 06-03-2009, 06:54 PM
rrs

Yep, my blood pressure is normally low, too, around 90/60. I experienced the flushing, too. My legs would look sunburned. I remember one time two nurses and the doctor took my blood pressure, because they all thought they were doing it wrong, as it was 60/40.

I did roughly the same schedule as Cheshire to keep the contractions at bay, and me from being too affected by it.

I was on it from 29-34 weeks. And delivered a well baked boy at 40w 5d!! Good luck to all of you.

Rebecca, mama to Carter Elliot , 06 November 07, Holden Oliver, 10 November 09, and Harper Lucinda Amelie, 26 September 11 and someone new, coming at the end of September 2013.

#7 of 8 Old 06-05-2009, 03:23 PM

Well, after being on the Procardia for a week I'm off of it now.

I took one this morning at 4:30 am and went back to bed. Woke up about 20 minutes later with a pounding heart and I could hear it in my ears. I got up and took my pulse - it was 132 bpm. It took over 45 minutes for the racing heart to slow down. UGH!!!

I called my doc and she called me back. She said she's had a handful of other patients have this reaction but not many. She said to stop it immediately and to take Advil over the weekend to see if it helps with the contractions. She said it is safe to take until 33 weeks.

I'll see her on Wednesday for my regular appt. She said if I have any problems to call and/or come to L&D - baby still needs to stay in for a few more weeks.

I'm glad to be off the medicine because I didn't like the side effects but I don't like the idea of possible early labor again.

How are you guys doing?
#8 of 8 Old 06-05-2009, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, I'm sorry, Cheshire! That sounds scary. It is making me get a flushed feeling about 30 mins after taking it, so I make sure I'm sitting down. I slept longer this a.m. and was late taking it and the contrax came back. Looks like I'm on it for the long haul. I hope things get better for you!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page