how about camping with a 7 week old infant? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 06-07-2009, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
am i crazy to have made reservations for this? my unborn child will only be 7 weeks, we will be in a yurt, but no electricity. anyone have experience with this and have any tips to make my life easier? i will be nursing but with a supplemental nurser and i think we will use disposable diapers for this adventure.

joyful mama to DS 2-05, open adoption birthmama to DD 5-07: and DS 6-98, and my littlest one 7-09. crazy in love with DH!
#2 of 26 Old 06-07-2009, 08:59 PM

I took ds1 camping when he was 8 weeks old. It was just an overnight not very far from home and we had a camper van. But it wasn't a bad experience at all. I mean, all I ever did was hold him and nurse him anyway, it didn't really matter to him where we were. I guess if it had been too hot or too cold it would have been bad, but the temp was just right for outdoor diaper changes (we used cloth and took them along), and walks with babe in a sling. I am sure you will have a fine time! Good luck.

Jessie. Mama to bikenew.gif(7) : broc1.gif(4) and : toddler.gif22 mo 

#3 of 26 Old 06-07-2009, 09:12 PM

I haven't done it, but my mom and dad went camping with me when I was only about 5-6 weeks old. They didn't have any problems. (When ds1 was that little, we didn't really have any way to get to a campground, so he didn't go camping until he was about 16 months or so.) I've seen lots of little babies in campgrounds.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#4 of 26 Old 06-07-2009, 09:13 PM

My dad took my oldest sister backpacking when she was about that old. They loved it. When DD1 was a month old we did a road trip to Southern Utah (a long ass road trip might I add ) and were supposed to camp but my dad suddenly got a hotel room. It was as rough as camping that's for sure. I'd do it in a heartbeat. I love camping and have no issues taking small ones with me. I've never done yurt camping (only tents) but I imagine things in regards to comfort would be lots of soft blankets/surfaces. Where you are using a supp. nurser plenty of water for making sure parts are clean (i.e not sticky...somehow we always end up super sticky...like sap sticky..when we go camping ). I'd do disposables just for ease but I tend to be one of the few who find cloth a pain in my backside.

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
#5 of 26 Old 06-07-2009, 09:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My best friend and I took her 6 week old on Dead Tour.

I think that is pretty close to camping. She did great. They are highly portable at that age.
#6 of 26 Old 06-07-2009, 09:41 PM

I probably wouldn't do it. What if you don't give birth until 42 weeks, then your baby will only be 5 weeks old and you can potentially still be bleeding. I guess it depends on how well you heal pp, I'm the type that bleeds for the full 6 weeks and doesn't feel back to normal for a good 2 mos.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#7 of 26 Old 06-07-2009, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherMother'n'Madre View Post
I'd do disposables just for ease but I tend to be one of the few who find cloth a pain in my backside.
I find cloth as easy as, or easier than, disposables at home. When I'm traveling, especially camping, I find cloth a royal PITA.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#8 of 26 Old 06-07-2009, 09:52 PM

You word it so well. My sentiments exactly.

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
#9 of 26 Old 06-07-2009, 09:58 PM

DS was about 5 weeks old the first time he went camping. Tent, sleeping bags, portapotties, etc. I was still bleeding a bit, so I definitely had to watch my exertion level, but ds was totally fine. I brought a solarveil sling to protect him from the sun, a ton of water, and he slept and nursed his way through the trip. DD was 19 months old at the time and it was definitely harder to keep up with her!
#10 of 26 Old 06-07-2009, 10:02 PM

How about running water? Will you be bringing supplies yourself like wood for the wood-fired stove, etc.
I think for me it would depend on how close/fast we can get to the vehicle in case of an emergency.
#11 of 26 Old 06-07-2009, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilian View Post
I probably wouldn't do it. What if you don't give birth until 42 weeks, then your baby will only be 5 weeks old and you can potentially still be bleeding. I guess it depends on how well you heal pp, I'm the type that bleeds for the full 6 weeks and doesn't feel back to normal for a good 2 mos.
oh please PLEASE dont speak this into existence. im hoping for 2 weeks early!

joyful mama to DS 2-05, open adoption birthmama to DD 5-07: and DS 6-98, and my littlest one 7-09. crazy in love with DH!
#12 of 26 Old 06-07-2009, 10:11 PM

we've taken both our children camping as babies. it is honestly easier as tiny babies than when they get older - think this one is not yet trying to crawl in the dirt, put things in his/her mouth, and you aren't trying to heat up baby food.
newborns are very portable. i found camping easy with them - all the outside air and noises seemed to make for great sleeping. breastfeeding is clean and convenient. when i have used supplemental nursers or bottles i just brought along enough of my own water from home for sterilizing and making formula (if applicable).
the other things i found helpful are to be camping with someone who doesn't expect you to do much other than baby-care ... it would be a much more challenging feat if you were also doing the cooking, dishes, set-up, etc. know where your nearest emergency support is, and bring along enough warm things and insect/sun protection for baby.
it is significantly easier than it sounds. have a great time.

WAHM to a toddler, preschooler, and kindergarten student. 
:

#13 of 26 Old 06-07-2009, 10:18 PM
Banned

I don't think it would be very fun. At that stage, all they do is sleep, eat, and poop. At least that's all my kids did. I was constantly nursing, or changing a diaper, or holding them as they slept. I guess if I were camping I could have gotten a little bit of fun time in during their sleeping time, esp with a sling.

I also wonder how well a 7 week old would tolerate the elements. If it's too hot or too cold, the baby could be pretty uncomfortable. They can't regulate temperature well at that age.
#14 of 26 Old 06-07-2009, 11:23 PM

Our experience is that babies are their most portable under three months. i agree that babies don't do much at 7 weeks other poop, nurse and sleep, but my take on it is that they can do that anywhere.

Although we haven't camped, we've road tripped with a 9 week old and moved across the continent with an 11 day old. It was great. We did use disposable diapers though.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
#15 of 26 Old 06-07-2009, 11:25 PM
Banned

My babies nursed so much...especially my second one. I am talking hours and hours at a time. I could barely pee! I can't imagine camping. It was a nightmare taking both of them anywhere at that age And when I did go somewhere, all I did was nurse while I was there, I didn't get to partake in much fun. They were way more portable after the 3rd month.
#16 of 26 Old 06-08-2009, 12:22 AM

My dd wasn't quite as young as your little one will be, but we took her on her first camping trip at 3 months for 10 days. It was tent camping. We always joke (truthfully!) that for tiny babes "home is where the Mama is". She lived in the sling anyway, nursed all the time, and slept snuggled up next to me and she could do all that anywhere! It's *much* easier camping with them at that age than when they are newly mobile.

I say go for it!

Tessa, wife to DH and Mama to DD (3/01) and DS1 (HB-VBAC! 9/06) and DS2 (2nd HB-VBAC 10/25/09)
#17 of 26 Old 06-08-2009, 01:29 AM

I think it depends on your kid.
Ds1, no way, he was very high needs.
Ds2, totally we would go...we are going in a month actually. He is a very easy baby and will sleep anywhere.

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#18 of 26 Old 06-08-2009, 02:22 AM

Along with it depending on your kid, I think it depends in part on the conditions you'll be camping in and how long you'll be camping.

For instance, I think I'd take a 7 week old (well, all the 7 week olds I've ever known-- maybe I'll feel different when my own is 7 weeks old!) out to the fairly cool woods for a weekend. On the other hand, I wouldn't take a 7 week old to Burning Man out in the desert, with extreme weather conditions likely in both day and night, etc.

I don't know that it'd be as dangerous for the baby (certainly, many people DO take babies to places like Burning Man totally safely) as it would just be stressful for me, which would take away from a lot of fun of camping.

Mother of two great little guys, G (9/28/09) and W (1/20/12)

#19 of 26 Old 06-08-2009, 10:31 AM

I'd be concerned about how you're going to keep the sns clean etc. and supplemental milk fresh for that matter.

other things to think about are weather and bugs. you dont want a <2mo baby covered in mosquito bites.

and the drive to the campsite may not be fun. there is a 6w growth spurt where ALL they do is nurse. if you hit that on a drive, you'll be nursing more than driving unless you nurse AND drive.

Could you tentitavely schedule it and back out at the last minute?
#20 of 26 Old 06-08-2009, 12:40 PM

We have a soccer tournament we go to every year this July when baby will be maximum 5 weeks old, and possibly as young as 2 weeks old . We'll be tent camping, but there is water and electricity. I think the tough thing will be the 8 hour drive each way.

My plan right now is to totally play things by ear. If baby is only a couple weeks old, is fussy, doesn't travel well, or I'm just not feeling great yet I'll probably stay home. If baby is easy going and I'm feeling good we'll go for it, although we'll keep things pretty low key while we're there.

Carlin blowkiss.gif - loving life with DH guitar.gif and 2 amazing daughtersenergy.gifbaby.gif

#21 of 26 Old 06-08-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelika13 View Post
My best friend and I took her 6 week old on Dead Tour.

I think that is pretty close to camping. She did great. They are highly portable at that age.
That is awesome!!!

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#22 of 26 Old 06-08-2009, 01:35 PM

I'm not a camper and wouldn't even take my oldest kids camping at this point. :P But I'm enjoying the responses. I do want to travel within a couple of months after our next child is born in the fall and a lot of the advice here has been helpful.

Proud *single* mom to 3 amazing kiddos
#23 of 26 Old 06-08-2009, 01:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawncayden View Post
I think it depends on your kid.
Ds1, no way, he was very high needs.
Ds2, totally we would go...we are going in a month actually. He is a very easy baby and will sleep anywhere.
:

both my kids were so high needs as infants I really can't imagine camping with them. Yes they were portable, if you forget about the fact that they screamed in the car and wanted to be nursed ALL the time. #2 would scream if you took her off the breast too soon.
#24 of 26 Old 06-08-2009, 01:47 PM

I was going to say yes based on the title, but the SNS would make me a bit concerned. How will you wash/sterilize it? Will you require refrigeration for your supplements? Otherwise, if you are going camping with someone that will do most of the camping type work while you care for baby and you can bring easy to prepare food it sounds fine. We went camping when our 3rd was 3 months old and it was great.

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#25 of 26 Old 06-08-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula Fairie View Post
:

both my kids were so high needs as infants I really can't imagine camping with them. Yes they were portable, if you forget about the fact that they screamed in the car and wanted to be nursed ALL the time. #2 would scream if you took her off the breast too soon.
My first was like that! Driving was a nightmare, until she was almost 1 year old. My second, could stand a car ride, but the rest of the time I carried him around in a sling and nursed on demand.
With my first the "colic" kicked in at 6 weeks on the dot, and you could NEVER set her down.:

You don't really know how HN your baby will be. Or when it will be born. Were you early with your other children? I am always post due date, myself.

And are you taking your other children? If so, you will have a 1 and 2 year old and a newborn? (am I reading your sig. right?)

I plan to do nothing for the first month (like barely leave the house). I like to let the immune system get some time to mature. The idea of bugs and bites sounds bad to me.

I guess bc I do think the baby should stay away from germs and stuff the first month or so, and because my dd was hn with colic (crying everynight non stop for at least 2 hours from 6-12 weeks), I would disagree with the portability from 1-3 months.

I find babies more portable from 3-6 months, before they can crawl, but after they are able to regulate their bodies better, and have stronger immune systems.

Andee
#26 of 26 Old 06-08-2009, 02:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
I'd say it depends on the camping - how hard-core a nature experience is this supposed to be?

I would take a baby that age to Pennsic, but not backpacking. And I'd think long and hard before agreeing to Burning Man.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page