rapid fetal heartbeat? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-21-2004, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i had a non-stress test yesterday and my baby's heartbeat was consistently 170-180's- the dr. did not seem concerned- it did go down to 150's at various pts. but was largely in that high zone- now i am worried she is in distress/has some sort of infection- (i have had several bleeding episodes, plenty of internal exams and other unpleasant opportunities for some germs to get up there)- anyone know anything about this? i am almost 33 weeks, by the way...
#2 of 6 Old 01-21-2004, 08:43 AM

Gina, I don't have any great info on this other than that your Dr. would have let you know if there was anything you should worry about. Your Dr. has caught a lot of the complications of this pregnancy for you, I would think that he'd be on guard.

I'm sorry these 33 weeks have been so trying for you. (((((((gina)))))))

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#3 of 6 Old 01-21-2004, 01:28 PM

well, an old wives tale would dictate that you are having a girl. :-)

My dd's heartrate was consistantly between 170 and 160 my whole pregnancy.

Keep in mind they baby responds to YOUR stress as well. I can imagine that beening set up in a hospital or doctors office, amxiously waiting to see if my baby was ok would stress me out even just a little, and so your babe was probably just responding to you as well.

Silly story: we went in for an ultra sound with this one last week and I was so excited to learn the sex, I could tell I was a little amped up. Well, when they did the heart rate on my little guy, he was up to 160! He has been between 130 and 150 for my entire pregnancy....and I think he was just reacting to mama. When I am at my wonderful midwives place, in the cozy room, the heartrate is ALLLLLWAYS lower, and I think it's because I am more relaxed.

Anyways, that doesn't sound especially high to me and maybe you might want to get a fetoscope and see if you can check yourself when you are relaxed.
#4 of 6 Old 01-21-2004, 07:02 PM

My son was always in the 180s and 190s. It was never a big deal. He is very active now...maybe it was jsut an indicator of personality

This babe has a slower hb...maybe this babe is a bit more calm....wishful thnking??

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
#5 of 6 Old 01-21-2004, 08:06 PM

do you know what your baseline FHTs have been? if they've been consistantly 130-140, then maybe you should be a little concerned. but if they've been higher, then you're probably doing just great!

some kids are just a little more antsy, is all!

remember the midwife's credo: as the mother, so goes the baby (meaning, if mom's doing well, then the baby's probably doing fine, too!). try not to stress out, and keep sending warm loving calm vibes to your beautiful baby!

katje
#6 of 6 Old 01-23-2004, 04:52 PM

Hi, It is hard to say if there is a reason for concern because there are always things we don't know. I do know that my daughter spent 2 1/2 months in the NICU after coming 14 weeks early and her heart was constantly monitored. They only got concerned once when she was taking her "car-seat test" and her heart went up past 200. The speech pathologist that worked with her orally was right next to her talking really loud and Kira didn't like her because it was always such a stresssfull time with that woman. Anyways, if you were having a stress test, the heart rate is supposed to go up so if the variation was 150 -180 then that is probably fine. Also, a babies heart rate is supposed to have variation but they usually stay somewhere around the same level. Hope that helps.
TIff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page