Tribe for bedresters and high risk pregnancies - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 264 Old 07-11-2009, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
happy weekend, ladies!!!

Jen-loving Bill, mama to Teryn 18, Kalyn 16, Ricky 13, Natalie 5, Angel Zoe '07 and rainbow1284.gifAmelia Rae 22 mos bonus kids (dss) W 14, W 13 NEW grandbaby due 10/10/11

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 264 Old 07-13-2009, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
27 weeks yesterday:

I had wrap around back pain and contractions/cramps for 3 hours late Thursday night. I laid on my left side and slowly drank four glasses of water and that stopped it thankfully. The baby was way up high so that calmed my fears. I haven't had any problems since. I have a dr's appt tomorrow so I'll mention it to her.

I saw a thread about raw almonds easing heartburn and acid reflux. So far it's working.

Still no name for this little one. I've looked at baby name sites but haven't found a name we both like.

Unless things change, 6 more days of bed rest.

I hope everyone is doing well.

Amanda,  SAHM mama to love.gif Rose and rainbow1284.giflove.gif  Sean.   Always in my heart and never forgotten  angel3.gif Violet (18 weeks due to I.C.) candle.gif
#63 of 264 Old 07-14-2009, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

wow, congrats amanda! so close to the 3rd Trimester!

i'm sorry you had contractions and i hope you don't get anymore.

that was my thread about the almonds LOL i should probably post it on this forum as well.

i have an appt thursday...hopefully she'll have u/s to measure my cervix and if not, off i'll go to the hospital. ugh.

where's everyone else??? check in ladies!!!

Jen-loving Bill, mama to Teryn 18, Kalyn 16, Ricky 13, Natalie 5, Angel Zoe '07 and rainbow1284.gifAmelia Rae 22 mos bonus kids (dss) W 14, W 13 NEW grandbaby due 10/10/11

#64 of 264 Old 07-14-2009, 02:33 PM

I'm here. 28 weeks tomorrow!! Still worrying about baby's intestinal issues (I had posted a thread last week about my appt), I go back to the peri next week to have another u/s and hopefully meet with the pediatric surgeon. Everything I've read about pyloric stenosis, duodenal stenosis/atresia seems fairly positive with good outcomes and recovery. The thought of my newborn having surgery still gives me the heebie-jeebie's, but what can I do?!?

So, here I lay. Get on-line once and a while and read a ton of books!

Happy to hear everyone is still hanging in there! We will have healthy, happy babies!!

JoAnn Married almost 12 years to DH Chris.  DS1 01/05 DS2 09/09 DS3 05/12.

#65 of 264 Old 07-15-2009, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by the2amigos View Post
I'm here. 28 weeks tomorrow!! Still worrying about baby's intestinal issues (I had posted a thread last week about my appt), I go back to the peri next week to have another u/s and hopefully meet with the pediatric surgeon. Everything I've read about pyloric stenosis, duodenal stenosis/atresia seems fairly positive with good outcomes and recovery. The thought of my newborn having surgery still gives me the heebie-jeebie's, but what can I do?!?

So, here I lay. Get on-line once and a while and read a ton of books!

Happy to hear everyone is still hanging in there! We will have healthy, happy babies!!
thinking of you, joann! congrats on 28 wks, i know that the 3rd trimester is very important milestone for those of us on bedrest to reach. :

also, i'm hoping for the best possible outcome for your baby! i do hope that your u/s goes well and that things look up for you and baby. sending you positive light and thoughts.

#66 of 264 Old 07-16-2009, 11:12 AM

Thanks for the kind wishes! It is such a relief to make it to 28 weeks, obviously I want to make it all the way, but to know that the liklihood of a good outcome after 28 weeks makes it easier to breathe!

What are you guys doing with your older DC? DS is 4y.o. DH works from 6am-3pm. I have someone (family or one hired neighbor) come every day for a few hours in the morning to take him outside to play, the park, etc. He liked that for a while. Now he is getting moody (not like him) and wants momma to do everything. "Momma come play outside with me" "Momma come swimming". And when I can't he gets really upset. He isn't quite understanding the lying around thing all the time. I'm a little worried that he will be resentful of baby - and maybe already is.

I do play with him a lot on the floor. Trains, cars, coloring, etc. And we've been watching a movie everyday lying in bed together snuggling. But he wants momma all. the. time. Any suggestions? I keep telling myself that it really will be ok and he won't be "ruined" by this experience! Right?!?!?

#67 of 264 Old 07-16-2009, 01:16 PM

I guess I'm joining you guys. I had to go on modified bedrest at around 31 weeks with dd2 due to contractions. The strong, labour like, regular contractions came back on Sunday. Thankfully I'm not dilating yet, but I know from my previous pregnancies that if I do to much, and get too many contractions I will start dilating. So now I'm on full bedrest. I'm 23 weeks now so the weeks ahead are looking a little daunting. But I have a few knitting projects lined up so I should be able to manage. And Dh is a teacher so he is off for the summer and can look after the girls.

Pam, momma to Sofie Avye Seth
#68 of 264 Old 07-16-2009, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

welcome, minsca!!! i started bedrest 6 wks ago and it does seem daunting when you're only just in the 2nd trimester. it's good you have help with your other l.o.'s. are you on meds or any preventatives? i'm currently on nifedipine (procardia) and 17P injections weekly. i hope your bedrest time flies by and you get a nice full-term baby!!! my son was born at 30 wks so we're doing what we can to avoid the NICU again.

joann- sounds like you are doing more than i am. i've been a bit lax with actually doing things with natalie because we have older kids here to help. after today's appt (story follows), i won't be increasing my activities with her.

she does play the computer on her own now and www.pbskids.org is awesome and she's learning how to sound out words, spell and write!

#69 of 264 Old 07-16-2009, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Today's doctor visit didn't go as well as I planned. My suburban has been acting up, so I should have seen that as a sign. We got back, baby's heart tones were nice and steady. My blood pressure was good, I gained 4 lbs and fundal height was right at 26 cm.

I asked for her to do a cervical length. My cervix is down to 2.00-1.75, thankfully with no funneling or opening at all. My internal exam showed that the cervix is still closed but is soft. The OB sent me home on strict bedrest, no more getting up for anything but the potty. My last measurement, 4 wks ago was 2.9 on the low end, so that much shortening was disconcerting. I've actually had fewer contractions lately and thought I was doing better.

She's sending out home health to get me some compression booties for me legs to keep me from getting clots. We'll also have home health do the weekly hydroxyprogesterone injections and check my blood pressure. If I go 1 hr with more than 2 contactions, I have to call in to fill a terbutaline perscription. I'll then be on the terb every 4 hrs and the procardia every 4hrs.

I know this isn't as bad as some others I've seen, but I'm 35, this is my 6th pregnancy, I've had a LEEP and 3 prior D&C's, and I have a history of pre-term births. Please, please, please let me carry this baby 2 more weeks. 28 wks is now both our shot-term and long-term goals. Anything beyond that will just be a bonus.

I will go back to OB in 2 wks at 28 wks and she is ordering the steroid shots. I think they will have them done by home health as soon as it gets approved. I'm worried and trying not to stress.

#70 of 264 Old 07-16-2009, 05:23 PM

Hi Ladies!!! I'm popping in to let yall know its a BOY!!! This is my 2nd boy and DH's third boy. We have one DD together and since this is our last child, it looks like she'll be our only little princess. My DS, 5, is super excited about having a baby brother. This pregnancy is clicking right along. No bedrest yet. BP is nice a low right now and will most likely stay that way until the 3rd trimester starts. I'll probably be visiting this thread alot more then.

Boobs - glad to see you're still hanging in there. I'm rooting for everyone here!!!
#71 of 264 Old 07-16-2009, 07:36 PM

Jen - sorry to hear about your appt today. You don't have a cerclage in, do you? Bummer. I will be praying that you make it to 28 weeks and beyond. My sister had a 29 weeker and the thought makes me faint, especially having a 4 year old at home!! I would hope that they don't plan on doing any more internals - my peri measures cervical length from my abdomen now and won't let anyone do an internal for any reason (I had a cerclage placed at 14 weeks though). He states that sometimes just having the cervix touched is enough to cause bad things to happen.

Welcome minsca! I went on bedrest around 23-24 weeks this time...11 weeks the first time. The weeks ahead do look daunting don't they?!? I finally decided that I can't look at it that I have X number of weeks left, I need to count down one week at a time. I celebrate on Wednesdays that we turn another week!

Hey saving_grace - may God, the gods, the spirits, whatever you choose, let you escape complications this time and have no bedrest!!

#72 of 264 Old 07-16-2009, 10:59 PM

Hi ladies! I am 30 weeks today! No real news, still having contractions on and off, still on modified bedrest... and stay-put-baby vibes to all!

#73 of 264 Old 07-17-2009, 12:44 AM

Jen - I hate when they have to give you bad news. I knew the dr wasn't going to give me great news yesterday when after he checked my cervix his face was looking grim. Oh well, bedrest is better then being in a NICU. So I'm trying to count my blessings.
I'm not on any medication yet, which I'm very thankful for. I have another ultrasound next week, and another appointment with the dr. But I can get the contractions to stop when I'm laying down so I'm thankful about that too. But it took a 6 weeks of contractions for my cervix to shorten with dd2 and then another 3 weeks till I was 2 cm. By that time I was 36weeks 6 days so I decided to get walk for a couple of hours. Dd was born the next morning. So I'm remaining positive that it takes 100's and 1000's of contractions for me to dilate.

#74 of 264 Old 07-18-2009, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

ty all for your love!!!

minsca...i had a similar situation last time, but i was on meds. i finally had to be induced at 37 wks because the meds basically ruined the placenta. keep on holding that baby in!!!

hi joann! hope your week was good.

hopeful, congrats on your baby boy!!!

where's amanda???? thinking of you.

cali, wooohooo for 30 wks, congrats!!!!!

i got my compression boots yesterday so i can avoid blood clots. they are a pita, but ease some of my concerns for my legs and dvt.

have a great weekend, ladies!!!

#75 of 264 Old 07-21-2009, 01:33 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone have any news to share????

#76 of 264 Old 07-21-2009, 01:27 PM

Not much too report. My DH bought me a Wii, so I've been playing Sim Castaway all day long. It is definetly helping with the boredom! We move into our new house in 10 days. I am so thankful for the many many many offers to help us move. I will be sooo incredibly happy as we have been living with my inlaws for the past 4 months.
Other then that not much to report.

#77 of 264 Old 07-21-2009, 01:44 PM

Glad to see everyone hanging in there! We go to see the perinatologist tomorrow for another u/s and meet with a ped surgeon to discuss what will happen after baby is here. I had an appt with my local OB yesterday, nothing new, measuring big. Passed my one hour GTT!!

I'm starting to feel a little short of breath now and then lying here and need to get up to the recliner to sit at a 45 degree angle for a while...I think the pressure is pushing up on my diaphram. I can only assume that will get worse before it gets better

They won't let me go beyond 37 weeks because of a clotting disorder that I have. So only 8 weeks to go as of tomorrow. OMG - 8 weeks!! : I can do that!!

#78 of 264 Old 07-21-2009, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

pam-i hope your move goes smoothly. woohoo for getting a new toy!! dh bought this laptop for me when i went on bedrest and i am eternally grateful for it!

joann-please keep us posted about your appt. thinking of you and hoping for the very best!!! wooohooo for only 8 more weeks for you. i'll be 27 wks thursday, so only 7 more weeks bedrest before i get wheelchair privileges and only 10 more weeks until i can have baby. i will probably be induced at 37 wks if history repeats. my dr is already planning an induction as of 37 wks, but it's not set in stone. i go for my shot today or tomorrow.

hoping you all have a wonderful day!!!!

#79 of 264 Old 07-21-2009, 03:35 PM

Hey, mamas!

So, quick intro - I'm 27 wks along and no longer "officially" on bedrest, but I'm taking Procardia for recurring ctx (sort of pre-PTL) and though I'm capable of hanging with DS in the morning, I have to hit the couch by afternoon and stay there, or the ctx come back. I also can't clean, exercise, lift DS, carry anything, or do . . . well . . .pretty much anything. So. Not "bedrest" at least, I guess.

Anyway! I've been lurking here, but something today caught my eye and I had to post.

I'm not taking the MAXIMUM dose of Procardia at this point. I take one extended-release tab a day and in theory I could take another. I *really* don't want to take any more medication than absolutely necessary (I'd rather be on partial rest than up my dose) for a lot of reasons.

Boobs4milk you posted that in your last pg, you were induced because the medication you were on ruined the placenta - are you comfortable sharing which medication, and what dose, and how it effected the placenta??? If not, tell me to be quiet and I'll go mind my own business.

Good luck to all you restin' mamas - hope today is fun and interesting and yet totally uneventful in a pregnancy sense.

Writer, wife to a great DH, AP mama to one sweet boy 6/07 and expecting a girl in October!
#80 of 264 Old 07-21-2009, 09:50 PM

Hi everyone

ChristineIndy- Welcome I'm in the same boat, officially off bed rest, but can't do much.

Jen- Positive thoughts that you make it way past 28 weeks.

2amigo- I hope you get good news at your appt tomorrow. Congrats on passing the one hour and the 28 weeks milestone.

Minsca- That's great you got a fun distraction

Calimommie- 30 weeks, very cool

As for me, I'm 28 weeks 2 days. : I will have to wait to celebrate until I feel better. I've been sick since Saturday. Not sure if it's pregnancy related or the flu.
My dh has been in a job interview all afternoon so I'm doing the best I can taking care of our dd.
Thursday I'm supposed to take the 1 hour gd test. The sugar drink is nasty and I'm hoping I can keep it down.

I did get some happy news. My mom, who lives in Arizona, is going to be at my baby shower in August.

Amanda,  SAHM mama to love.gif Rose and rainbow1284.giflove.gif  Sean.   Always in my heart and never forgotten  angel3.gif Violet (18 weeks due to I.C.) candle.gif
#81 of 264 Old 07-22-2009, 11:35 PM

I saw my doctor today. Somewhat good news. I'm off of bedrest and onto modified bedrest. Which is a lot better, though I wasn't that good at staying in bed even on bedrest. But I really can't do much, no lifting, no housework, no cooking, I can't be on my feet for very long, no excercise. But at least I don't have to be flat on my back. I don't know how you mama's do it, my hats are off to you!!
She suspects that I might have too much amniotic fluid, so I have an ultrasound booked for tomorrow. That actually would make sense as I had tons of fluid come with dd2, it just kept on coming and coming and the nurses and dr had to get more towels to clean it all up.
She also told me not to expect to get off of modified bedrest until 37 weeks. And that if contractions get worse she will be putting me back on full bedrest. Oh well, I will take my freedom and run with it.
But I was talking to my best friend today and she is coming up to help me move in. It will be so much easier directing her in how I want my house set up then dh. DH gets a little grumpy when I tell him what to do.

Amandamaria- I hope you feel better soon!

boobs4milk- : that you make it too 37 weeks!

#82 of 264 Old 07-23-2009, 08:48 PM

Well the flu turned into a cold. I'm miserable and teary today. My dh is going to the store to buy some chewable vitamin C for me. I've put off taking the GD test til I feel better. I hope it's okay to get the test done after 29 weeks.

#83 of 264 Old 07-23-2009, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

amy-so glad things are looking up for you, congrats!

amanda-feel better, soon!!!

me:
this morning we made a trip into L&D. i lost my mucus plug and was having contractions. thankfully, the contractions slowed way down after i took the maximum amount of my meds. my cervix is still not open, but is soft and when she went to check me, i could feel her push up on amelia's head.

she said her best guess would be that i have about 4 wks left. was released back home to meds, bedrest, and a follow-up next week with my OB.

#84 of 264 Old 07-24-2009, 07:36 AM

Jen- I couldn't sleep and decided to check in and saw your post. Very scary, glad you went in to get checked and got the contractions to stop. Another 4 weeks would be good. Positive thoughts and prayers for you and Amelia.

#85 of 264 Old 07-24-2009, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

thank you amanda i hope you're feeling better!

#86 of 264 Old 07-26-2009, 07:15 AM

The cold is getting better. My stomach is still iffy. I'm not sure if it 3rd tri m/s or the flu.
After I recover, I need to work on getting stronger. My mom's worried I won't be strong enough to get through labor. My dr hasn't okayed exercise yet so I'm not sure what to do. Take extra vitamins ?

How's everyone doing?

#87 of 264 Old 07-26-2009, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineIndy View Post
Hey, mamas!

So, quick intro - I'm 27 wks along and no longer "officially" on bedrest, but I'm taking Procardia for recurring ctx (sort of pre-PTL) and though I'm capable of hanging with DS in the morning, I have to hit the couch by afternoon and stay there, or the ctx come back. I also can't clean, exercise, lift DS, carry anything, or do . . . well . . .pretty much anything. So. Not "bedrest" at least, I guess.

Anyway! I've been lurking here, but something today caught my eye and I had to post.

I'm not taking the MAXIMUM dose of Procardia at this point. I take one extended-release tab a day and in theory I could take another. I *really* don't want to take any more medication than absolutely necessary (I'd rather be on partial rest than up my dose) for a lot of reasons.

Boobs4milk you posted that in your last pg, you were induced because the medication you were on ruined the placenta - are you comfortable sharing which medication, and what dose, and how it effected the placenta??? If not, tell me to be quiet and I'll go mind my own business.

Good luck to all you restin' mamas - hope today is fun and interesting and yet totally uneventful in a pregnancy sense.
christine, i apologize for not answering this earlier. i had such a crappy week last week. welcome to the thread!!!

my last pg, i was in and out of the hospital. i was on procardia for a few weeks, but started having break through contractions and was put on procardia 10 mg every 4 hrs, and brethine (terbutaline) every 4 hours. i had to take the procardia, wait 2 hrs, then take the brethine, wait 2 hrs, take hte procardia...i was also on mag sulfate when in the hospital and brethine injections. i took the weekly 17P injections until 36 wks.

my placenta basically started to decay early. i had to do NST's anyhow because i had borderline GD, but it was seen at the 34 wk u/s that the placenta was having diminished function. by 37 wks, i was starting to swell and baby wasn't tolerating me being active. if i was up for a bit and then put back on the monitors, her heartrate would be totally erratic and not recover quickly during the contractions.

i was going to a free clinic and the county hospital, and when i asked to be induced, they tried to give me something to stop labor because they were busy. i refused the meds and then they tried to release me to go home. at that point, i was dilated to 6 and was swelling and the baby was having more instances of decels. i DEMANDED an induction, signed papers saying i would not hold the (IDIOT) dr responsible for requesting a medical procedure that he did not advise and got things underway. she was born 2 hrs after they started the induction and the placenta was dark and shriveled with calcifications present. had they left her in a few more days, she might have died from lack of oxygen!!!!

this time, we'll do NST's again starting 32 wks. natalie also had SUA and was small anyway. the dr (using that term loosely) was acting all sanctimonious because he told me she was too early to induce. he was like 'see, she's tiny I TOLD YOU' and then the other dr. said 'look at this placenta it was nearly gone' and he stfu and left the room. she was 5lbs 1 oz, 17 3/4" but she was 15lbs at 5 months!!!

this time, i'm on the procardia 10 mg every 6 hrs. i can take 20 mg every 3 hrs a few times but if i need it that much i'm to call the dr and go to L&D(which is what happened thursday).

ETA: i'm also getting the 17P shots weekly and i'm asking for steroids this wed when i go back to OB.
good luck!!!!!!

#88 of 264 Old 07-28-2009, 06:50 AM

I'm still here. Still on modified bed rest for the subchroionic bleed. I go back to the drs to check on that on Wednesday. But I've developed new problems that are keeping me home. I keep passing out. It happens daily. I can't even go to the grocery store real quick with out blacking out & ending up slumped over on the counter of an alarmed looking cashier. I'm afraid of hurting myself falling over or scaring my kids.

I drink a ton of water, watch my diet closely & it happens no matter how hot or cold it is outside. I've been diagnosed with hypoglycemia not while pg after a 6 hour GTT. When not pg, I have hypoglycemia to the point of passing out & am careful with my diet. In the past I've gotten concussions from passing out from low sugars & hitting my head.

My OB sent me to my regular dr who quickly diagnosed hypotension. My blood pressure is too low. I'm 16 weeks but have to have a 3 hour GTT this week since they think that my blood sugars are off, too either too low or too high. I already follow a pretty strict diet with eating every couple hours, getting enough protein, supplimenting with Ensure, etc. I've had to do that for many years now but it's just not cutting it anymore.

I was a dumb-dumb & said a few months ago that in the past I've had 3000 things come up & go wrong when I was pg except my blood pressure & blood sugars. : I obviously stand corrected.

I have to at least say that the various symptoms of low blood pressure & blood sugar issues (either direction) explain like 90% of my current symptoms & issues that make me feel like garbage. So it would be nice to get it under control & maybe start feeling a little better.

Stephanie, mom to 3 big girls ('94, '99 & '02) and to my little guy (12/30/09) intact & CD'ed!
#89 of 264 Old 07-28-2009, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

OMG...girlzmommy, big s and i hope they get things figured out for you.

#90 of 264 Old 07-29-2009, 06:57 PM

Minsca- How did your ultrasound appt go?

Girlzmommy- I hope they get things under control so you start to feel better.

Jen- How are you doing?

I'm feeling better. I've been getting up some. My dh took me out to lunch yesterday. It was nice, but I'm wiped out today. I only walked a short distance to the restaurant , so my muscles are just weak.
I've had the urge to clean, but only done a little dusting. My dh actually cleaned his bathroom (it had been over 7 months ) this week and vacuumed all the rooms. The house is looking better. I won't be doing any heavy duty cleaning until the cerclage is out so I'm happy some stuff got done.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page