Tribe for bedresters and high risk pregnancies - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-11-2009, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
anyone else on bedrest? i;m 21 wks today, this is day 8 of rest and i get my second progesterone shot today.

Jen-loving Bill, mama to Teryn 18, Kalyn 16, Ricky 13, Natalie 5, Angel Zoe '07 and rainbow1284.gifAmelia Rae 22 mos bonus kids (dss) W 14, W 13 NEW grandbaby due 10/10/11

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2009, 12:12 PM

I just came off of bedrest a couple of weeks ago. I had been on modified bedrest from 27-35 weeks due to PTL. Those were a very long 9 weeks, but well worth it to get babe to a healthy stage. Amazingly I am 37 weeks today and she is still staying put.

Good luck with the duration of your bedrest and hopefully babe keeps cooking.

Lindsay - Mum to Logan (May 3, 2007), Graysen (June 26, 2009) and welcoming somebody new in September 2011!
Old 06-12-2009, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you, Linds. I was on bedrest from 16 wks to 36 wks with my youngest and she decided to need to be induced at 37 wks. I was on modified bedrest at first, then at 23 wks I started having more complications and spent the next 13 wks on full bedrest. I didn't have a toddler at home then and my others had gone to live with their father. This time, I've got everyone at home and a 3 1/2 yr old to boot!

I was also in the hospital with PPROM with my son from 26 to 30 wks. Looking back, I hated every second of it simply because nothing was explained to me and I felt like a prisoner. Secretly, I'm longing to be in the hospital this time so that I don't have to look at my dirty house and so that I can have the reassurance of medical staff and care around me. I'm still getting up too much! I would miss my kids...terribly, but I really want to get to at least 28 wks.

Good luck and happy birthing!

Jen-loving Bill, mama to Teryn 18, Kalyn 16, Ricky 13, Natalie 5, Angel Zoe '07 and rainbow1284.gifAmelia Rae 22 mos bonus kids (dss) W 14, W 13 NEW grandbaby due 10/10/11

Old 06-12-2009, 02:31 PM

Good luck to you. I spent months on bed rest when I was pg with all 3 of my girls for everything from PTL to fluid issues to chicken pox. Two of the three went full term but my middle dd was a 33 weeker (though she's 9 now & doing amazing). My fingers are crossed that I won't get bed rest this time but the odds are not in my favor.

I remember reading a lot of magazines (you can find tons of free subscriptions online & I donate them to the drs offices when I'm done or Freecycle them) and video games. I'm not a video game person at all but we had an old school Nintendo system that I pulled out & hooked up. I spent my days with Super Mario Brothers & Zelda.

Hopefully your little one will stay put & you can find some things to help the days pass a little faster.

Stephanie, mom to 3 big girls ('94, '99 & '02) and to my little guy (12/30/09) intact & CD'ed!
Old 06-12-2009, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Well, technically I`m not on bedrest but practically I am. They tell me I can move around and do stuff around the house but the spotting returns if I`m not laying down.
I also have a busy toddler at home so I know what you mean by not being able to rest. Can you request to go to a hospital if you feel safer there? I`ve come to realize that feeling safe/positive about it helps a lot.

Me sleepytime.gif DH violin.gifand the kiddos run.gif   Follower of Jesus heartbeat.gif
Old 06-12-2009, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

stephanie, here's hoping you get a bedrest free baby this time. this is bedrest #4 for me so i should know the drill.

katica...sending you hugs! if i'm up more than 5 mins i get contrax, so i know how you feel. i can't be hospitilized until 24 wks, and really i'd like to stay home but just have home health or someone to clean for me. i'll be less stressed once i get to 24 wks.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:22 PM

no bedrest for me (knock wood), but I just have to say that you mamas are AMAZING to go through all that.

Hang in there!

Doula ~ CBE ~ Life Partner to my ManBearPeach ~ Multiple-miscarriage Survivor ~ Homebirthing, Breastfeeding, CDing, Babywearing, Co-Sleeping Mama to my Boy Bean , born 9/30/09!
Old 06-12-2009, 08:08 PM

So glad to see others here with this thread.

I am on week 2 of complete bed rest (only allowed to get up and go to the bathroom). Started last week Monday at 29 weeks and I am here for the remainder of the pregnancy. How long that will be, no one knows. I do also go in to the doc once per week.

The docs are hoping to get me to 32 weeks min. 34 weeks preferably.

My first child (this is only #2 for me) was born 6 weeks early way back in 2003. I thought this might be different this time around but no such luck.

What meds have you guys already been on or continue to be on?
I was on a magnesium sulfate drip ALL of last week (in the hospital) and have been on progesterone shots since week 18. They also administered steroids when I was in the hospital last week with PTL.

I also have terbutaline for use "as needed" since I have been home. Have only used it once.

What are you taking, if anything?
Thanks for your input,

Faye (age 34), mom to DD born 1-15-03 and expecting DS anytime now (due date officially August 14)
Old 06-13-2009, 05:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi,

I'm on modified bed rest. I've been on it since I got a cerclage placed at 13 1/2 weeks. I'll be 23 weeks on Sunday. My peri and ob said at 25 weeks I'll be able to go out once or twice a week as long as I'm not walking or on my feet for long. At 28 weeks, they'll add on more activity. Of course, this all depends on if I'm doing well and not having PTL symptoms or cervical funneling. I've been on progesterone suppositories as soon we conceived. Instead of the shots, they just had me continue on them. Less side effects that way, for me. I've been having BH contractions and some back pain on and off for a couple weeks. I go in and get checked and so far everything's fine. I'll be able to breathe a little easier when I make it to viability. I have daily talks with my son (it's a boy) about staying put until at least 36 weeks when they take the stitch out.

Background:
Other than having HG with my first daughter, I didn't have any problems at all with that pregnancy. My second was fine up until 17 1/2 weeks when I noticed membranes bulging out. My dr was going to put in an emergent cerclage, but the amnio showed infection. My water broke 4 days later and there was nothing we could do. I was diagnosed with IC and this pregnancy a cerclage was put in.

Bed rest has not been easy for our family. I've been thankful my dh has been home to take care of my daughter and I. The only thing he doesn't do very often is clean. The house is really dirty and it's bugging me, but I don't want to take any chances. My 4 year-old gets upset when I can't pick her up or play outside with her. We do cuddle and read books together or do art projects in bed so she does get some mama time. She is very excited to have a brother though

Amanda,  SAHM mama to love.gif Rose and rainbow1284.giflove.gif  Sean.   Always in my heart and never forgotten  angel3.gif Violet (18 weeks due to I.C.) candle.gif
Old 06-15-2009, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter

hugs, amanda! i'm glad you're doing well this time. i am looking forward to viability and beyond. i try not to be gloom and doom but pre 24 wks, the hospital really won't do anything. i trird to talk my dr into a cerclage at week 15, but she is reluctant to aggrivate things.

faye, my son was 30 wks in 1998. having preemies is so scary!!! i'm 35 so i'm old (lol) and i've got a history of ptl. i'm on progesterone injections and procardia 10 mg every 6 hrs. i have to take it like clock work or the contrax come back. i chose the procardia over the brethine because the side effects are less for me. i'm on day 11 of bedrest, but i do get up to eat one meal (quickly) with my family per day, shower every 2-3 days. i go to the dr every thursday afternoon to get my injections.

i hope you are all well and bedresting away!

anyone interested in a bedrest project???

Old 06-15-2009, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

bumping for any newbies who want to post...also, changed the title i hope it's not inappropriate to start my own 'tribe' here!

Old 06-15-2009, 06:18 PM

I see the title has changed so I think I can join this tribe now. I've had two pre-e pregnancies and am 14 weeks along with my third baby. I was on bedrest for 3 weeks last pregnancy before delivery @ 35 weeks. DD was in the NICU for 10 days but is a happy and healthy almost 1 year old now! This pregnancy is high risk and OB is fully expecting me to have pre-e again. I'm still hoping I won't but the odds are stacked against me. I would at least like to have a full term baby this time though if possible. Of course pre-e is tricky so there's only so much bedrest and waiting around a mama can do before the baby really needs to come out. I will admit that I actually enjoyed my 3 weeks of bedrest last time. I haven't had that much quiet time to myself in forever! Although I don't think I could go practically a whole pregnancy on bedrest like some of the mamas here!!! That takes determination! I will admit I got antsy a few times and would have DH take me to the grocery store just to get out of the house. I would ride around on one of those motorized chairs that they have so I wouldn't be breaking the bedrest rules too much. I was so happy to be out of the house that I couldn't even bring myself to be embarassed. I embarassed DH though the first time I tried to back one of those chairs up and it made that "beep beep beep" noise. Oh the memories!!!!
Old 06-15-2009, 07:44 PM

I get antsy too. I look forward to my weekly doctors appt because I get to see new scenery. In two weeks, I'll get to go out a few times a weeks. I'd like to at least go to the local library and the craft store.

Saving Grace- Are those motorized cars easy to operate? I'm so afraid I'd either run into a display or bump into another shopper.

To keep busy I've been learning how to make felt food. I found tutorials online. I'm also learning to knit, although that's been much more challenging to learn. My dh thinks I'm a little nuts right now.

Amanda,  SAHM mama to love.gif Rose and rainbow1284.giflove.gif  Sean.   Always in my heart and never forgotten  angel3.gif Violet (18 weeks due to I.C.) candle.gif
Old 06-16-2009, 06:39 PM

Boobs4milk- Did you have a doctor's appt this week? How did it go?
Before viability is so scary. Your right, the hospital doesn't do anything prior to 24 weeks. It's great your doctors prescribed medicine for the contractions. My doctors won't give me anything until I'm at least 24 weeks. My only option at this point is fluids, very short term ibupropen, and staying down.
I'm an older mom too. I had my first at 35 and having my last at almost 40.

What kind of project?

FayeO- I'm just on progesterone suppositories. The doctors won't give me anything else. I'm mostly trying to stay hydrated, since dehydration can irritate the uterus. I hope you can make it to 34 weeks.

I have a peri appt Thursday afternoon. I'm praying that everything is still good. I'll be 24 weeks on Sunday.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:25 PM

The motorized carts aren't too hard to get the hang of. Just go slow. When I sped up, that's when I had a hard time stopping. I broke my leg last year (had a huge bright pink hard cast from the knee down) & had to use them to grocery shop.

Stephanie, mom to 3 big girls ('94, '99 & '02) and to my little guy (12/30/09) intact & CD'ed!
Old 06-16-2009, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

hi ladies!

amanda, thank you for asking about me! i had an appt today, here's a link to the post if anyone is interested.

back from mfm

i didn't go out last time until i got closer to term, more like 33-34 wks, except appt. my dh borrowed a manual wheel chair and i just took it easy. i'd been on bedrest for about 15 wks by then, first on strict then on modified when things calmed down. i go to my dr visits every 2 wks and to get my peogesterone shot every thursday. last time, i lived 10 mins from dr this time it's 1 hr!!!!

we found out we are having a girl today ::: and i'd love to shop, but that can wait. i'll be 22 wks thursday, so i might get to shop in about 10 wks or so if i'm still stable. i have all of dd's stuff, so we don't need anything really just something new for baby.

as for a project, i can crochet and i have knitting looms. i've made up some hats for some ladies on my ddc, but i haven't got pics up. camera is broken :

maybe something fiber art related? if we find a cute knitted project, i could use the loom.

i hope you all had a great day!!!

ETA: almost 24 weeks, amanda!!! woohoo!

Old 06-17-2009, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

happy june 17th bedresters! this marks 2 wks in bed for me!!!: 2 down, 14 to go!

Old 06-17-2009, 10:13 PM

Hi everyone,

It's a beautiful day and my dh took our dd to the local pool. I wish I could have gone with them, but I'm happy dd is outside having a good time.

I'm been crampy all week. I'm hoping it's just constipation/gas pains. It also could be dehydration. I can't keep water down so I've been drinking Gatorade or OJ blended with ice during the day. At night it's more challenging.
Tomorrow's my peri appt so I'll get my cervix checked.

Boobs4milk- You're doing great. Happy to hear there's been no change in length and no funneling. Congrats! A little girl

I think I'll just start with going to the craft store. I won't linger and just get what I need. I get winded from just walking from the bed to the bathroom so I think that will be it for activity. My dr doesn't want me driving til I'm at least 28 weeks so my dh will have to take me.
I do need some new clothes and a bra. I have two shirts that fit and a skirt that is getting too tight around the waist. Everything else I own doesn't fit anymore. I don't think shopping is an activity I can do anytime soon so I'll have to order them online. I've always had to order bras online. The stores don't carry bras larger than a DDD.

As for knitting, I'm a beginner. My sister is coming over on Friday to take care of my dd. Maybe my sister can teach me more about knitting. The online tutorials are so confusing.
I'd like to learn how to crochet. My mom says that's easier than knitting.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:32 PM
spu

I was on strict bedrest for 4.5 months when pg with the twins - my cervix completely opened up at 18 weeks, so it was nada from then on out. One thing that helped me tremendously was sidelines.org - they provide trained support for moms on bedrest - with all different kinds of issues - and they will match you up with a bedrest buddy who's been through what you're going through. It can be a very challenging time, and having good support is crucial.

here's the link:

www.sidelines.org

I kept telling myself "one more day down is one less day in the nicu."

Set up milestones (for me, it was every friday - a piece of really good chocolate!!!). And also the various 'weeks' milestones -- 24w, 28w, 32w, 36w... We had a big cake at 32 weeks!

Set up a routine for your weekdays. Vary it on weekends. ie: breakfast, snack, lunch times... etc... time for activities such as tv, crossword puzzles, games, reading etc... time for phone calls / email, etc... time for hobbies... time for thinking about you and the baby...

By having somewhat of a routine throughout the week, you'll feel purposeful. Your days and hours will feel meaningful, and you'll see time pass more positively and quickly.

Stay positive, mama's! Hugs to you all - you can do it!

twins 7.02 ⢠DS 10.06 ⢠OMG #4 1.08 ⢠ebf + tandem nursing!
Old 06-18-2009, 10:10 PM

Hi Mamas,

I had my 24 week appt with the peri and everything looked great. No changes, no funneling, and my son's heart was normal. He refused to move his position so the tech couldn't see his heart in prior appts. This time he was cooperative. :

My peri wasn't in so I had another dr. His first comment was that my cervix looked very normal. He asked me about my previous loss and also when I had the cerclage surgery for this pregnancy. I was just happy about no changes I didn't say that when the cerclage was put in both my drs. said my cervix looked very abnormal and it's a good thing we all decided to go ahead with the surgery. It's really frustrating explaining my history to doctors who weren't there from the beginning.

Spu- Thank you for the encouragement. I like the idea about celebrating the milestones. I'll have to think up something non-food related. I can't keep any type of dessert down, so no cake, chocolate, or ice cream for me. My diet is very healthy, but so boring. :

Old 06-19-2009, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

thank you for the recommendations, spu! i'm already on sidelines...LOVE it! i'm also on another bedrest support group for women with IC. i was on it back when i was pg in 07.

here's a link if anyone else is interested!
http://ic.hobh.org/forums/index.php

amanda: : for a great appointment and for getting to 24 wks! there are some charts over on the IC forum, and 24 wk babies have a good survival rate and their intact (meaning amounts of complications/disabilities)rates are decreasing every year. when i had my son, i went into labor at 26 wks and was told that the likelihood of him even living was low and then that he would have an 80% chance of having severe issues. now, 24 wkrs are given even better odds than i was at 26 wks back in 1998. and 26 wk babies have about an 80% chance of survival and only about a 20% change of disabilities or severe issues!

we are setting our sites first on 24 wks, then 26, then 28...after that it will all be icing on the cake!

cake...that sounds WONDERFUL. it's too hot to bake so maybe dh will pick up something LOL pg brain!!!

i had a horrible night last night. something upset my tummy and i had horrible diarrhea. i feel better today just really weak and icky tummy. i hope you all have a great weekend.

Old 06-22-2009, 04:59 AM

boobs4milk- I've been a lurker on the ic.hobh site since I became pregnant. One of these days I'll get the courage up to post.
I'm sorry to hear you were sick. I hope you are feeling better today.

I celebrated 24 weeks with a coconut milk popsicle. :
My next goal is 26 weeks. Tomorrow is my Obgyn appt. It will be a manual exam. Maybe my last for awhile.

I've been taking an online college nutrition class since April. My online final exam is on Tuesday so I've been studying all weekend. It kept my mind occupied for awhile at least.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Congrats, Amanda...but hold the coconut, I'm allergic!

Good luck at your dr and on your test! I wish I could take an online course, but IDK what I'd take. I need one class, Anatomy, to finish up at college and move on to university, but that one is an in-person with a lab.

I've always wanted to be an IBCLC, but right now I need to start repaying student loans and get that in order before I start anything else.

We had a loss on our DDC and I'm just beside myself with grief. This is so scary, why does it have to go so wrong sometimes?

Amanda, I don't post heavily on the IC board but I do read daily. I had to turn off siggies, though because some are a bit disturbing for me at this moment. I am not opposed to angel pics, but I'm on the cusp right now and I just can't let myself get discouraged. I've been reading VERY positive stories about 25 and 26 wk preemies online, so that is giving me hope.

I hope everyone else has a wonderful day. I was getting some back/rectal kicks last night that were freaking me out, so I'm taking it very easy today.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:00 AM

I read the post today. Very, very sad.

Boobs4milk (or Jen?) I know it's very scarey but there's so many encouraging stories as well.
As for feeling baby kicks in the rear. I've been feeling this on and off. I told my dr today but she wasn't concerned. My baby was moving and kicking all over the place. Sometimes he's low and sometimes he's higher up. Mine seems to prefer kicking low especially around my bladder. I sometimes feel the kicks vibrating through my butt. Freaks me out too.

I only have 2 more classes I can take online. The rest is science or my major and requires class attendance. I'm a fine arts/painting major. Most of it will have to wait another 2 years or so.

I went to the dr's for a manual exam. Cervix is closed, same length. I had to have a papsmear while I was there. Not fun.:
My dr was pleased I made it to 24 weeks. She said I'm out of the danger zone for IC, but I'm still at risk for PTL. Next week I can go to the craft store if my dh or sister drives. The rest of the time she wants me to stay down until 28 weeks.

I may pick up some crochet needles. Knitting seems too tough for me. I'd like to make something for this baby.

Does anyone have names picked out?We thought we were having a girl so had a name already picked out. We were wrong, it's a boy. We are happy with either gender, just finding it easier to name a girl. My mom keeps texting me boys names, but so far I haven't liked any of them. In the meantime, I've been calling him Thumper.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

: Amanda, congrats on the new baby BOY! We thought we were having a boy and lo and behold SHE'S A GIRL! We are toying with the name Amelia right now. I love it, DH is lukewarm but is getting warmer saying it out loud. He said he'll have to do the yell test on it. You know, go around yelling "Amelia get out of there, " "Amelia stop hitting your sister," "Amelia do your homework!" LOL

Oh and you can call me Jen, Boobs, or B4M..those are the most common online handles for me.

Congrats on a great appt, too. I don't go in until July 3 and I'm so hoping things are normal and unchanged.

No offense, but I'm really relieved that you are getting the butt vibrating thing. I posted about it on the IC group and it does seem common. I think I'm just super sensitive this time and I am a bit lower which is normal after 6 pgs. I propped my hips up yesterday when it got a bit too uncomfy and that helped.

I'm jealous...I'd love to go to the craft store. We aren't buying a lot of new stuff for this baby, but DH is keeping me in yarn so that I can make a whole slew of things to either use for her or sell. I've spent .99 on her so far...I bought a pair of white Old Navy slip on pants at the Goodwill back before we even knew the gender. That's been the extend of my actual spending on her and I feel bummed not being able to do just a TEENSY bit of retail therapy. When I get to 34 wks, I will be allowed out in a wheel chair!

Have fun!

Old 06-23-2009, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

amanda...i saw that you posted on the october board i love that board the ladies are so wonderful!!!!

Old 06-24-2009, 01:37 AM

Jen- I finally did post my due date info. They are really nice there

I love the name Amelia. We ruled out some boys names using the yell test.

I haven't bought anything for this baby either. That's why I was thinking about making something.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:21 PM

Hi everyone,

I did go to the craft store on Wednesday. I lasted about 5 minutes. I went to the car while my dh paid for the stuff I was able to get. I've been dreaming about going out but the reality was so different. I don't remember waddling until I was about 8 months. I'm almost 25 weeks and it's already starting.

At least I got the urge to go somewhere out of my system. I think I'll be able to get through the next 3 1/2 weeks of bed rest. I am worried though about how I'm going to get stronger after 28 weeks. I get so tired. I need my strength for labor.

My next appt isn't until July 2nd. I'm hoping all is well.

Old 06-27-2009, 01:17 AM

b4m -- Did you know you can shop online for craft supplies at www.joann.com? Might help the time pass...

Amanda, Wife to James and Mom to Bub (11/00), Gracie (5/02), Brystol (7/09), Elleigh (3/11) and Piper (10/11).  angel1.gif  Missing our angels: Bean (12/05@6w) Ainsley (10/06@10w) Zachary (4/07@22w) Sweet Pea (8/07@9w) Twin B (12/08@8w) and Lil Bit (8/10@8w).

winner.jpgadoptionheart-1.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifselectivevax.gifgoorganic.jpg

Old 06-27-2009, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter

ty, amanda! i've been shopping and writing down orders for dh to pick up. there's a fabu place called loops in tulsa that i LOVE and he's going there next week to get me some noro wool/silk blend. it's at www.loopsknitting.com and their shop is awesome. they have knit alongs and gatherings, local artists, how to's...oh i wish i could just go hang out on their sofa lol

amandamarie...i'm sorry you felt so bad. did he get you a wheelchair? when i was let up at 34 wks with natalie, dh borrowed a wheel chair for me and it was so much easier. just be sure to take a pillow to sit on.

my appt is july 3 and i'm getting super anxious. hoping for looooong cervix and maybe some let up on the bedrest. my shots are only lasting about 5-6 days, so i'm not hopeful that the bedrest will be relaxed.

User Tag List