Braxton hicks already?! (16-17 weeks) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-13-2009, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm a little worried. Yesterday I started noticing some tightening at the bottom of my uterus but I couldn't identify it as a contraction...later that night it progressed to an all over tightening and happened with frequency. I went to sleep after midnight and woke up with same hip pain that's been bugging me for a week now and my uterus was rock hard. After a short time, the contraction released and I was comfortable again.

I know I'm hydrated. I've been guzzling water all day and sipping at night. Does this sound normal because it has me concerned. I'm going to call my midwife today but she's 2 hours away and we're supposed to leave this evening for vacation so there isn't much she can do for me other than consult me over the phone...

Carolina, tree hugging, treehugger.gif animal loving, backyard chicken keeping, Wife to Dh, homeschooling Mama to Ds1(Aug '06) and Ds2 (Nov '09)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2009, 08:18 AM

I had the same thing happening about that time frame. OB said it was normal and as long as you don't have more than 4 BH in an hour it's ok. I had three days of constant lower back pain, dull achiness, and BH so I was quite worried!

BFARing mama to Haley (3/07) and Abigail (11/10/09)
Old 06-13-2009, 02:47 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I started getting BH contractions around 15-16 weeks with this pregnancy. They started to get a little painful around 18-20 weeks, so I doubled my magnesium intake (which I take all the time for muscle cramping unrelated to pregnancy). I tam now taking about 200% of the rda. The amount that you'll need to vary by your body's need. The magnesium reduced the amount of contractions and made them painfree sensations.

I take Magnelevures (best magnesium suppliment I've found, but it's $$) and Natural Calm.

Extra magnesium will also help you sleep better, help hip pain, help leg cramps and will prevent/treat constipation.

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11 + Someone New in May 2015! After years of planning, we are finally living our dream in South America!!
Old 06-13-2009, 05:12 PM
Banned

Pretty normal, surprisingly. If you do get more than 4 in an hour or notice that they are getting more intense, get checked out. I second the magnesium suggestion, it's a smooth muscle relaxer. You may also want to try a glass of wine, which can be surprisingly effective for stopping contractions.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:34 PM

This pregnancy and with dc2's as well, I have them from the start. Usually a few a day, every day. You get used to it.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:28 PM

Mine started around 18 weeks. But, they turned painful and regular so I went into L&D three times at doc's suggestion.

At 30 weeks I was 2 cm dilated after being completely closed around 23 weeks.

This is my third baby and I've never had BH and contractions this early. I had a few weeks of prodromal (sp?) labor with my second that wore me out but this early has been a shock.

I'd suggest just keep an eye on it and listen to your body. If you need to, go get checked out. I'm surprised at how great the nurses have been at L&D - the first two times I went in my contractions slowed and stopped after being put on the monitors. The third time I had to have medication to stop them because they were getting stronger and closer. They see this type of thing every day and I know they'd rather moms be safe and not in preterm labor than ignore it.

Best wishes!!!
Old 06-14-2009, 08:39 PM

I started having BH contractions at 15-16 weeks with my second (ths one) No need to worry!

Jesus-loving Doula/Birth Photographer Mama to Tor 4/2007, Zion 11/2009, Enoch 11/2011, and Zephyr due 12/13/2013

User Tag List