Overdoing it while pregnant? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 06-15-2009, 02:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So what's the deal with people freaking out when the see a pregnant lady doing things?
Is there something I'm missing or is it ok to do normal things... mop the floor (bucket & rag style) carry around coolers pick up something that weighs more than 'light' etc...
Am I going to hurt the baby? Or myself? Or does it just make people worry? I'm don't get it!

Working, freshly graduated! mama.  Loving life with DHguitar.gif , DD 7/09energy.gif, and DS 06/11 babyboy.gif.

#2 of 19 Old 06-15-2009, 04:34 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
People are silly. The only rule I go by is if it hurts or is uncomfortable, then don't do it! In general, if your body is used to doing a certain activity then it shouldn't be a problem during pregnancy. I recently went on a 3+ week choir tour in Europe. I walked all over the place sightseeing, hauled my luggage through a bunch of hotels and stood for hour+ concerts nearly every night. I think I spent more time trying to convince everybody I was fine than actually being uncomfortable because of the pregnancy.

Mommy to DS1 bouncy.gifJuly '09 and DS2 baby.gif Oct '12

#3 of 19 Old 06-15-2009, 06:56 AM

I think for some people it comes from the days when pregnant women are supposed to be "delicate" but for most they're just concerned. I think the last poster was right. Be guided by your own body as to what feels confortable.
#4 of 19 Old 06-15-2009, 08:53 AM

If I get overtired or feel any stress from an activity then I stop, but I'm still doing everything I did pre-preg with the exception of a couple of things at this point.

I remember when I was about 11 weeks pregnant I went to a play that my nephew was doing and my 7 y o came along and she sat on my lap through most of the play and my stepmom and mom both kept commenting to me that am I okay with her sitting on me and what not. I kept thinking, sheesh.

Proud *single* mom to 3 amazing kiddos
#5 of 19 Old 06-15-2009, 09:27 AM

Look after your pelvis and your back. SPD/pelvic girdle pain is very real and can be excrutiating, and if you put your back or pelvis out during pregnancy, that damage can last to birth and beyond, including reoccurring in subsequent pregnancies.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#6 of 19 Old 06-15-2009, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think it has to do with the fact that many women do experience a lot of back/hip pain during pregnancy, as well as weakened ab muscles, which affects your ability to lift. If you or your mom/sister/aunt/whoever were in debilitating pain during pregnancy, you might be worried about other women who are pregnant, even if they say they're fine.

For my first two children, and somewhat with my third, I could do pretty much anything I had done pre-pregnancy (as long as my belly wasn't actually in the way, lol), and I did find it annoying to have people constantly tell me I shouldn't lift this, why am I still carrying my toddler, etc. Good thing they didn't see me moving our bedroom furniture from the basement to the second floor on my own when I was 6 months pg with #2 But that has always been an issue for me, as I'm 5' tall and didn't pass 100lbs until my first pregnancy. People seem to think I'm going to break in half if I carry more than a purse.

I'm now pg with #5, and I do find standing for long times or carrying heavy loads more difficult, due to my weak abs and varicose veins. So, I'm adjusting -- but I still don't need others telling me I can't or shouldn't lift something if I'm comfortable doing it.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

#7 of 19 Old 06-15-2009, 10:59 AM

Ha! You're doing the easy stuff. I'm due tomorrow and if I did it before I'm still doing it now. we live rurally so there is no one to help DH and lots to do to keep this place running, all of which I'm still helping with for the most part. I've been moving appliences and furniture, taking loads back and forth to the dump, tossing bails, and helping carry car frames, parts and huge tool boxes into and out of the garage. Carrying 5gl bucket of water back and forth one in each hand. Not to mention all winter of shoveling snow and pushing vehicles. The funny thing is that you wouldn't think I could do all that not pregnant to look at me 5'5" and 115lbs. If you just do what you always do then I don't see the problem. But if you take it easy and your body goes through all those changes without the constant stimulation to keep everything working well, don't try to flip the couch on your own to get the ferret out(on my to do list this morning) Oh and have a good honest chiro who isn't scared for you, so he can tell you when enough is enough.

Oh and be prepared for the first time you have to tell DP that you're not that crazy to lift that, for the first time, He'll think maybe something is wrong, lol.
#8 of 19 Old 06-15-2009, 11:45 AM

My body tells me, if I am overdoing it. I strongly believe, it is so important to not only prepare yourself mentally but also physically for birth and to remain active as much as possible.

I went on a hike last weekend - 3000ft straight up a mountain; I was pretty out of breath and had to sit down several times, but it was so worthwhile. As soon as I sat down, my heart rate slowed down, my breath recovered and my vision was clear again. Except those little moments, I felt great. I went slowly, but steadily and my little sprout seemed to enjoy himself. It was a bit hard sometimes, because my balance was off, so I went slower. But I climbed up and enjoyed it and my body told me when I went to fast. Listening to your body is important

Yoga also feels good to me, especially the downward facing dog helps my back aches.
Waddeling instead of normal walking is better (already for me). Running does not feel good anymore, so I don't do it. But I go for long walks. Swimming on my back feels great, breaststroking feels terrible, so I swim on my back.

I work out my arms and abs as much as I can, do Kegel exercises in the car. It just feels good to me to be active.

Mom since Oct'09. Wife to a loving husband. Expecting a little bean in May'12

#9 of 19 Old 06-15-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisen View Post
I think it has to do with the fact that many women do experience a lot of back/hip pain during pregnancy, as well as weakened ab muscles, which affects your ability to lift.
I've definitely noticed this happening with this pregnancy. My first two pregnancies I was able to do all the same stuff, no problems, no aches and pains. This time around the first time I carried two heavy grocery bags I had tailbone and lower back pain for the rest of the day. It has happened anytime I try to carry too much. Now heavy lifting, doesn't bother me. I moved my DD's bedroom around a couple of weeks ago, bed and everything, no problems at all. No idea why this is so.

Proud *single* mom to 3 amazing kiddos
#10 of 19 Old 06-15-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronic Chrissy View Post
Ha! You're doing the easy stuff. I'm due tomorrow and if I did it before I'm still doing it now. we live rurally so there is no one to help DH and lots to do to keep this place running, all of which I'm still helping with for the most part. I've been moving appliences and furniture, taking loads back and forth to the dump, tossing bails, and helping carry car frames, parts and huge tool boxes into and out of the garage. Carrying 5gl bucket of water back and forth one in each hand. Not to mention all winter of shoveling snow and pushing vehicles. The funny thing is that you wouldn't think I could do all that not pregnant to look at me 5'5" and 115lbs. If you just do what you always do then I don't see the problem. But if you take it easy and your body goes through all those changes without the constant stimulation to keep everything working well, don't try to flip the couch on your own to get the ferret out(on my to do list this morning) Oh and have a good honest chiro who isn't scared for you, so he can tell you when enough is enough.

Oh and be prepared for the first time you have to tell DP that you're not that crazy to lift that, for the first time, He'll think maybe something is wrong, lol.
Yup, that. Many women don't have the option of "taking it easy" during pregnancy and many, many more just don't want to. During my first pregnancy I was working on a horse farm giving riding lessons and trail rides. I simply could not afford to quit. I kept riding, mucking stalls, doing chores and handling unruly horses (though I swear some of the kids were worse, lol!). During my second pregnancy we moved to live on a farm (which is where I grew up). My then-DH worked long, long hours. I cleaned 20 stalls every day with my DS in my Ergo carrier. In fact, that is what I was doing when labor started with my DD. I lifted furniture, carried groceries, went hiking, biking and gardening. I rode my horses (I have great photos of me riding on my due date... carefully, of course). Pregnancy is not a disability. I am more careful and I don't push myself past what I know my body can take. Listen to your body (carefully and closely), don't push yourself to do things you didn't do before and don't suddenly take up running and do 5 miles your first day. Go little slower and be more conscious of your body's need for rest and hydration.

Beth )O( Homeschooling Mama to blahblah.gif DS (7) luxlove.gif DD (5) and sleepytime.gif DS (1) & #4 on the way in October!!! love.gif
 homebirth.jpgecbaby2.giffemalesling.GIFbf.jpgsewmachine.gifrainbow1284.gifnovaxnoIRC.gifphotosmile2.gif

#11 of 19 Old 06-15-2009, 01:13 PM

LOLOL......I hear the frustration!

I am 16 weeks and my neighbor's have been commenting on my mowing the lawn, carrying in groceries, etc. Due to my higher then normal level of irritability (lol) I am quick to tell them that pregnancy is not a disability!!!

I feel fine, so there is no reason to stop. If I feel tired or my body feels weird, I DO stop-- as I am very in tune with my body.

I think it's nuts to treat all women the same. My best friend had horrible round ligament pain early on, so she wasn't able to do much at all--but I feel quite well, so there is no reason to limit things. My mom was mowing the lawn at 8 months with her last two-- so perhaps it's good gene's

I like to think of giving birth as a wonderful marathon....one I want to train for, as much as possible if nature allows for it!
#12 of 19 Old 06-15-2009, 01:24 PM

I got crap from my family that I shouldn't float the river at 27w pg "in my condition", looks/comments from the neighbors because I mow the lawn with a reel mower at 33w pg, and a flock of helpers at the feed store because I was carrying a 35lb bag of dog food on my hip. I just got back from hiking in the mountains at a high elevation going uphill for miles in the snow and I feel great!

If it hurts, don't do it. If it feels good, why the h*ll not?

Mum to DS1 7/09 and DS2 5/11

#13 of 19 Old 06-15-2009, 01:36 PM

Well crap, I am in awe of all you guys. I am usually a doityourselfer and this pregnancy has taken that right out of me. Its sooooo frustrating not to be able to do all the things I usually do. If I sit down I need help to get back up (especially if its on the floor). I can't walk long distances without massave hip pain. I can't pick things up if I have to bend over to get them (squatting...not an option either). I feel like a walrus. Maybe its because I'm kinda old to be having my first kid...are y'all in your twenties??
#14 of 19 Old 06-15-2009, 02:00 PM

Chamomile Girl, every woman is different. I had a really hard time during the first trimester to keep moving, I was just so tired and exhausted. I wanted to, but I couldn't do it.

Yoga has helped me to keep moving on days, when I feel really tired. Have you tried swimming? Some pregnant woman really love it. Regarding walking - it helped me to purposefully waddle and to focus to keep my back straight while walking. Just do as much as you can and as much as your body tells you is ok.

I am in my 30s.

Mom since Oct'09. Wife to a loving husband. Expecting a little bean in May'12

#15 of 19 Old 06-15-2009, 02:03 PM

I can't do very much this time, because I'm just so incredibly tired. What drives me crazy is that most people (this has been true in every pregnancy) are far more worried about it if I lift something up or run up the stairs than they are about whether I'm eating well, getting enough sleep or am under too much stress. I personally think that getting exercise is good for me, as long as I listen to my body. I do not think that missing sleep or coping with a failing marriage is good for me...it's not good for anybody, but those are the things that I find hardest when I'm pregnant. It's pretty screwy that people are freaked out that I performed in my choir concert at 8 months pregnant or that I'm still doing step workouts...but nobody seems to worry when I'm running on empty from lack of sleep. People are more likely to lift stuff for me than offer to watch the kids for half an hour so I can take a nap, yk?

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#16 of 19 Old 06-15-2009, 02:31 PM

CG-- I am 34, and this is my first....but again, all women are so different. My best friend was 35, and it was her first, and she could do hardly anything because her body was not feeling great at all.

It's all relative, I think....

It's so nice to be with like-minded women though who trust their bodies and not all the HYPE!!!
#17 of 19 Old 06-15-2009, 07:52 PM

And, I was reminded of this thread, just a little while ago. The bagger at the grocery store looked at my stomach and asked if I wanted her to start using plastic, instead of putting anything else in my cloth bags, especially the one with the cans on the bottom. I told her it was fine to put some more stuff in the cloth bag. She (jokingly) asked me if I were trying to induce labour.

Yeah...lifting a 10 pound (no more than 15, and I really, really doubt it was that) from the buggy to the van, and from the van to my front door (about 20 feet) is really going to induce labour. DS2 is about 45 pounds, and I carried him over a block 3 days ago...and up the stairs at least a couple times a week.

*sigh*

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#18 of 19 Old 06-15-2009, 10:18 PM

Well I have to say that lifting a cooler can be dangerous. I did overexert myself picking up too heavy of groceries and pulling weeds away too hard and ended up with a tear in my placenta. The left corner pulled away from my uterus causing bright red bleeding at 16 weeks-that was pretty friggin scary to wake up and go to the bathroom and see the blood. I was put on modified bedrest and not allowed to pick up my almost 3 year old because of her weight. I had to have my family help me and since I have healed, but it was one scary moment that I don't recommend. Also you can have sciatic issues and your body may feel completely normal, but all the relaxin makes you more apt to be clumsy, and yes you can hurt yourself by doing nothing.

With DD at 6 months I went on a nesting rampage steam cleaning the couches and the floor, OMG I pulled something in my groin and I actually got a stretch mark from it. It hurt pretty bad. With her I felt super human and like I could do anything, but I fell down once at the river because my balance was funky and I also ended up with severe pelvic pain in the last month of pregnancy.

This time I have to be more careful because of my bleeding episode, it can and does happen, it happened to me.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#19 of 19 Old 06-15-2009, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter

I guess more than anything, it's intriguing to me to see how people react to pregnant women... period. Especially the people I am around a lot, because I'll ask for help when I need it, but they still freak out! Oh well, at least they care right?

Working, freshly graduated! mama.  Loving life with DHguitar.gif , DD 7/09energy.gif, and DS 06/11 babyboy.gif.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page