HELP! info needed about Rhogam. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 06-19-2009, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i know there have been a number of threads on this but i am still SO confused by the contradicting evidence on Rhogam. i'm dizzy from going in circles researching this and i still don't know what to do. DH is O+, i'm AB-.
it's the 28 week shot i am most concerned about. i just don't understand how Rhogam works exactly. i read this article http://www.*********/a/rh1.html and have heard this elsewhere and even on MDC by some. is this true??? i thought Rhogam was supposed to help and if you had an injury you definitely should get the shot prenatally if you hadn't already or maybe even again. WTF? am i really missing something or is this camp misinformed??? if our bloods do mix and the baby is in fact + will my body fight the baby no matter what? isn't this what this article is saying? i don't want to put my baby at risk. UGH!!!!!!!!!!!
#2 of 11 Old 06-19-2009, 10:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Octobermoon, what I read of that article contradicts my information on how Rhogam works. (Not impressed by the article, frankly.

Rhogam does not provoke an immune response to Rh+ cells. Rhogam *suppresses* immune response to those cells, preventing your body from developing the antibodies to attack them.

If you have an injury or prenatal bleeding, you should definitely get the shot prenatally.
#3 of 11 Old 06-19-2009, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

what about this from ABO Pharmaceuticals;
Quote:
HOW DOES RhoGam Ultra-Filtered Plus WORK?
RhoGAM® Ultra-Filtered Plus is a sterile solution that contains antibodies to the Rh factor. The antibodies are derived from human plasma. When RhoGam Ultra-Filtered Plus is injected into the muscle of an Rh-negative mother, these antibodies circulate in her immune system and protect against any Rh-positive red blood cells that may have entered her bloodstream. Her immune system then sees no need to take further action.
that is what the article above is saying. right?
#4 of 11 Old 06-19-2009, 06:51 PM

Hi Octobermoon,
My blood type is O-. In my first pregnancy, I did get the 28 week rhogam shot, and an additional one at birth since my son was Rh+. This time around, I am debating whether or not to get the 28 week shot, because I think it may not be necessary. I recently read that it is not routine in Europe-- it is only given at birth if the baby turns out to be Rh positive.
That said, I don't believe the article you linked to was accurate. Apparently the author is trying to make the the argument that if the baby has a positive blood type, than the Rhogam will "attack" the baby's blood cells. I am going to try and do more research, but I do know that if a mother's blood type is unknown, than Rhogam is recommended...so it must be safe to give to an Rh+ person. However, I did find this quote in a reliable source: "Some babies born of women given RhoGAM® have weakly positive direct antiglobulin (Coombs) tests at birth"...but to be honest I don't know what the means, so I am going to look into it further. Also, if you didn't already read it--here is an old MDC thread that looks informative...I haven't had a chance to read it through yet. http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=455838
Good luck with whatever you decide...I know it is hard. I was much less informed last pregnancy and that certainly made certain decisions a lot easier!

Abby, Mom to Matthew (9/14/06) and new baby Annabelle (10/04/09), Wife to Dan
#5 of 11 Old 06-19-2009, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

thanks abigail.
#6 of 11 Old 06-19-2009, 07:07 PM

i'm 25 wks and suppose to get this shot at my next apt. i think that i will talk to the midwife about my concerns and see if she would be ok with me just getting the shot after birth if the baby is +. i read on another post about a book called anti-d by Sara Wickham, but it's $40 on amazon and my library doesn't have it, there is no kindle version either

Angel (30), dh (31) (kd to H. 4/25/07 & K. 5/23/11), Vladimir 10/17/09 & Nikolai 7/6/11

#7 of 11 Old 06-19-2009, 10:03 PM

I'm still on the fence about whether to get the prenatal Rhogam this time - my midwife actually doesn't routinely do it, unless there's some reason to, like trauma. Definitely get it if there's some injury that might cause blood mixing, though!

Now, on the other hand, I got two prenatal Rhogam shots with my DS (one routinely, one after an external version, as well as a postnatal one), because I didn't know any reason to consider skipping it. And he was just fine, very smart, and no jaundice that wouldn't be explained by the bruising he got during his exit.
#8 of 11 Old 06-20-2009, 02:51 AM

I am AB- too, my hubby is O+

I don't think I am going to get the Rhogam at 28 weeks, only if baby is + after she is born.

I don't make this decision lightly, but right now I feel this is right for me. I may change my mind at my 28 appt.

With my son I did get the shot--I got two before West was born due to a car accident in which my placenta did bleed. But he is RH - so I didn't need it after birth.

Kimberly
(Mama to West (11/07) Mabel Kelly 10/02/09)
#9 of 11 Old 06-20-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapersmion View Post
I'm still on the fence about whether to get the prenatal Rhogam this time - my midwife actually doesn't routinely do it, unless there's some reason to, like trauma. Definitely get it if there's some injury that might cause blood mixing, though!

Now, on the other hand, I got two prenatal Rhogam shots with my DS (one routinely, one after an external version, as well as a postnatal one), because I didn't know any reason to consider skipping it. And he was just fine, very smart, and no jaundice that wouldn't be explained by the bruising he got during his exit.
Interesting that you metion jaundice. As I mentioned, I had the shot prenatally with my son, and he has always been smart, healthy etc. However, he did have some jaundice at birth. It wasn't severe- we just had to expose him to some sunlight and bring him into the ped to be looked at a few times in the first week. It went away without any problems, but could the jaundice have been related to my prenatal rhogam shot? I know premature babies are prone to jaundice, but my son was born at 39 wks 6 days.

#10 of 11 Old 06-20-2009, 03:13 PM

So I read that entire other MDC post that I linked to. My head is spinning a bit from that -- a lot of info both ways, and I realize that a bunch of non-scientists are not the best source for figuing this out. However, this is where I stand now- still leaning toward not getting the 28 week shot. However, if I do get it, I won't worry about it. Yes, it seems that there is a risk. However, it is so minimal that probably the fact that I live with cats and am pregnant is taking a bigger risk. Or, for instance, lots of moms on here choose to consume raw dairy while pregnant- I think the tiny risks associated with that are also probably greater than the risk with prenatal rhogam. If some does mix with baby's blood and baby is rh+, it is not a good thing, but I don't believe I would be in any way putting my baby's life in danger. I think it just has to be a risk/benefit assessment. If this was my first child I think I would definitley get it. But since there is a good chance this is our last child, the risk of me getting sensitized is a little less scary to me.

#11 of 11 Old 06-20-2009, 10:06 PM

I chose to forgo RhoGam DEFINITELY prenatally, but also after birth. I'm Rh- and all four of my kids are Rh+. I'm not sensitized. I also didn't have:
an accident
forced pushing during labor
cord clamping
cord traction
deep tearing/episiotomy
scraping for placenta
rushed placenta
etc etc etc

I believe those are the major reason that medical protocol keep upping the amount of RhoGam our mothers & babies receive and yet we CONTINUE to have sensitization putting future babies at such great risk.

I feel wonderful about my choice to avoid RhoGam entirely and choose the most gentle of births possible. That said, if something would have happened that made me feel that RhoGam was best for me, I would have taken it.

Spark and her four firecrackers.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page