poking...why do I feel like the baby is trying to escape - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 06-21-2009, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm at 21 weeks pg right now. This week I started to feel poking "down there" like the baby is trying to escape. I had an ultrasound last week and the baby's head is down and I am carrying low, but not abnormally so. The baby seems healthy and growing fine. I remember feeling this poking with my last baby (this is my third), but I remember it happening later in the pregnancy...like 30 weeks or so. I carried her to 40, but was 4 cm dilated for 4 weeks. She was born in 10 minutes after painful contractions started!
I don't feel pain or anything with the poking, but it does freak me out a little! Does anyone else get these feelings? I see my doctor next week so I plan on asking about it then.
#2 of 11 Old 06-21-2009, 02:34 PM

Oh, I definitely had that starting from 18 weeks. It was really disconcerting! I read in my due date club at the time that many others were also experiencing it, so I think it may be pretty common. Now I'm 30 weeks and that habit seems to have shifted. It happens sometimes still, but it's not as persistent. (Other movements have become favored, like jabbing the belly... hard!)

Mama to a bilingual (Arabic/English) and cuddly 3 year old, and planning another peaceful homebirth in June.

#3 of 11 Old 06-21-2009, 02:44 PM
Banned

I'm 31 weeks and my baby does this all the time. She has even BRUISED ME ON THE OUTSIDE. I didn't even know that could happen. Good times.
#4 of 11 Old 06-21-2009, 07:31 PM

I'm 22 weeks and experiencing this daily. I'll feel pressure in my belly, and put my hand on the area. I can feel the baby bulging out to one side. My baby is sideways across my belly, so it is usually on one side or the other, a big, hard bulge. My mama, a midwife, says it's normal.

I remember this with dd1, but I think it was later in the pregnancy. She was always pushing up under my rib cage and it was very uncomfortable. My membranes ruptured at 34 weeks plus 6 days, and I always wondered if she caused that with all her stretching and pushing. I'm not sure that's very likely, though.

I am taking measures recommended by my midwives to strengthen my amniotic sac this time, though.
#5 of 11 Old 06-22-2009, 07:02 AM

I am feeling the exact same thing.

Sometimes it feels like a little finger with a sharp fingernail on it poking my cervix
Absurd I know, but that's what my preggo brain registers.
#6 of 11 Old 06-22-2009, 09:40 AM

I'm feeling this, too. The cervix kicks are scary, but the worst of it was last night. I totally felt like she was poking around in my rectum. It felt weird, like scraping. I was freaking out over and had to do my relaxation stuff. She feels like she's flipped back over and is kicking up by my belly button again, but I'll be so grateful when she runs out of room and can't kick me there any more.

I'm carrying very low, too. During the in-depth scan, they had to put the belly probe up against the wall of my lower pelvic/pubis to get a pic of her head!

Jen-loving Bill, mama to Teryn 18, Kalyn 16, Ricky 13, Natalie 5, Angel Zoe '07 and rainbow1284.gifAmelia Rae 22 mos bonus kids (dss) W 14, W 13 NEW grandbaby due 10/10/11

#7 of 11 Old 06-22-2009, 11:07 AM

Yowzers! Yep. All possible escape routes are being tested. Probing has hit my cervix, what feels like poking on my clitoris, my rectum.... I usually just squirm around until it stops/baby shifts. Not comfortable, but it has been happening since the middle of my second trimester and baby is staying put (I'm at 33 weeks now).
#8 of 11 Old 06-22-2009, 11:11 AM

I remember feeling that from about 20 or so weeks and on! It's so weird (I carried to 40 weeks).
#9 of 11 Old 06-22-2009, 02:28 PM

Thank you all for validating that my child is bumping my cervix. Every other board I've ever mentioned this on (including with my first pg) they've reacted like I'm CRAZY. I was starting to wonder if I was the only one who had a baby that was trying to escape!

Baby has been doing this for a couple weeks. I'll be glad when it stops (if it stops). I remember the first it happened when I was pg with DD -- I was driving and stopped at a light. It was the strangest feeling!! She eventually stopped but I don't remember when that was.

BFARing mama to Haley (3/07) and Abigail (11/10/09)
#10 of 11 Old 06-22-2009, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Sometimes it feels like a little finger with a sharp fingernail on it poking my cervix
Absurd I know, but that's what my preggo brain registers.
That's it exactly! I feel like a hand or a foot is going to poke right out! The baby's head is down so it must be the baby's head against my cervix?
#11 of 11 Old 06-22-2009, 09:27 PM

Yes! So glad for this thread -- I expected to feel movement in my belly, but the cervix-area "vibrations" were a surprise! I swear, sometimes I think this baby is pogo-ing... I'll feel little pokes way up high, under my rib cage, and then boom! Jumping down on the cervix! I must have a little punk rocker in there.

Becca, mommy to my little pumpkin DS (10/09)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page