Mothering Forum banner

Very light spotting at 12 weeks?

17K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  bethanyclaire 
#1 ·
I was not expecting this, I am 12 weeks and a few days. I haven't had sex or a pap or anything near my cervix and today I noticed a tiny bit of light pink in my underwear. It doesn't look like period blood or anything. I had an ultrasound showing a healthy baby right at 12 weeks, but also a large ovarian cyst. The cyst has since gone away (my abdomen is much smaller and I just "felt it" for those who know what I mean). So what could be going on?! I guess I will phone my midwife. I am rh negative and have also had a leep so I worry a bit to see something like this.

#4 ·
I had light spotting at 12 weeks 1 day with my DD. I read that 12 weeks is the time that the placenta takes over progesterone production from the corpus luteum and you can have spotting at that point. Try not to worry but call your midwife (or Dr.) for peace of mind if you feel like it. You'll be fine
!

#5 ·
FWIW, my friend had full on bleeding for a few days and they were pretty sure she miscarried (but she didn't do an U/S), and she even took herbs to "pass the miscarriage" and still ended up with her little boy after all that...

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mayfly View Post
I had light spotting at 12 weeks 1 day with my DD. I read that 12 weeks is the time that the placenta takes over progesterone production from the corpus luteum and you can have spotting at that point. Try not to worry but call your midwife (or Dr.) for peace of mind if you feel like it. You'll be fine
!

me too. i had one morning of light spotting at 13 weeks, and that was it. baby was/is fine.

#8 ·
i had relatively frequent light spotting throughout the first trimester (til about 13 weeks). i was so nervous, but u/s and heartbeat were good. i'm 16 1/2 weeks now and still ok! they say some bleeding during pregnancy can be normal...freaked me out as it's my 3rd pg. and this never happened before.
good luck!

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by cahwilson View Post
Thanks, I had no idea about the placenta. I am sure that is it. I really feel like everything is okay.

I'm glad you're feeling all right. I felt oddly calm when it happened to me. I just knew it wasn't anything to really worry about and it wasn't.

#10 ·
I'd double check with your dr/midwife.

I had the same thing (light red spotting) last week at 12 weeks & it turns out I do have something wrong & am on bed rest now because of it. I have a subchroionic bleed where a small portion of the sac separates from the side of the uterus. It's something that can fix itself but needs bed rest to do so.

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by girlzmommy00 View Post
I'd double check with your dr/midwife.

I had the same thing (light red spotting) last week at 12 weeks & it turns out I do have something wrong & am on bed rest now because of it. I have a subchroionic bleed where a small portion of the sac separates from the side of the uterus. It's something that can fix itself but needs bed rest to do so.
Did you continue to spot or was it only one episode? The amount I had was so small and only once (also just light pink- no red) therefore the midwife said just to watch and pay attention.

#13 ·
I also recently had spotting at 12 weeks 5 days. I wasn't worried but I did call the MW when I started having severe back pain and cramping. Turns out I hurt my back while I was running and it had nothing to do with the bleeding. We found the HB with the doppler and the little bean is just fine.

I also never had this with either of my other 2 pregnancies, so I was surprised.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.