Velamentous insertion of the umbilical cord. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-06-2009, 02:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi i am 24 weeks and 3 day's pregnant and i was told by my doctor that i when i had my ultrasound that my baby umbilical cord is on the side of the placenta witch is call. Velamentous insertion of the umbilical cord. and i just want to know if it is okay to work i work in a warehouse that is so hot i am a restocker and have to left up to 70 pound. will i be okay and am i putting my baby at rick.

MR$ $EXY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2009, 03:12 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
This seems like something you should talk with your medical provider about. Lifting up to 70lbs is more than I think any pregnant person should lift. Everything gets so soft and flexible when you're pregnant that it's really easy to hurt yourself or your baby..

My friend had a Velamentous insertion with her son and he was perfectly fine. However, she stopped working at 25 weeks and took it pretty easy..

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11 + Someone New in May 2015! After years of planning, we are finally living our dream in South America!!
Old 07-06-2009, 09:39 AM

I agree. Talk to your doctor. Did they say where your placenta is? Is it low or high, where does it insert - in the top, side, bottom, etc.?

Do more research on this and if you need to get a second opinion.

I had VCI and vasa previa - wasn't diagnosed and the cord vessels tore during delivery last August. My son lost most of his blood before he could be born and he died 12 hours later.

This can be a serious condition or it can just be an unusual finding on the placenta. It's worth finding out more about where it is exactly and what the risks are.

Best wishes! I'm glad they diagnosed you early in case you do need closer monitoring.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:48 AM

cheshire, i'm terribly sorry for the loss of your son.

my placenta has marginal/battledore insertion of the cord (side of placenta) but i believe this to be different than velamentous insertion. i was told that the insertion of my cord is a variation of normal, nothing to worry about though a quick lookup of velamentous insertion looks potentially serious.

did your ob not discuss this with you? if you're worried please call him/her.

i don't and can't slow down much, don't believe myself to be a delicate piece of pregnant china but i'm not sure i could repeatedly lift 70lbs on a daily basis!

good luck to you!

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

Old 07-06-2009, 12:02 PM

Velamentous can be particularly dangerous if your provider has an active management approach to 3rd stage of labor, ie, if they give pitocin and then put traction on the cord, you are at a MUCH higher risk of having the cord tear away and cause a serious bleed.

You may want to talk to your dr about avoiding pitocin in and after labor and allowing your placenta to deliver on its own.

Vallere: Blessed Wife, Doula, Homeschool Mom to Ian Gray(11/20/05), Zollie Isaac(10/14/07), Anna Zophia (8/14/09):, and a GIRL coming June 2010!
Old 07-16-2011, 01:47 PM

I was diagnosed with the same condition at 18 weeks.  I also have a physically demanding job that my doctor IS aware of.  He wrote for a 15 pound lifting restriction and said that he might need to revise it as I get further along due to my 12 hour shifts.  I also understand the need to keep working and I don't know if your employer would let you work with restrictions, thankfully mine has so far.  VCI or not you really should not be lifting 70 lbs.  I would talk to your doctor and see where everything is located because that seems to make a big difference on the severity of the condition.  I would ask if they checked you for a vasa previa, from what I have read that is was causes bad outcomes.  On another thread I found a great website someone suggested, vasaprevia.org.  Best of luck to you.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:07 PM

I would not be lifting 70lbs period during pregnancy....  And most definitely not with a potentially serious issue such as this.

hippie.gif Hi, I'm Amber

Ava {12.20.08}  Levi {8.19.10}  Aspen  {EDD 7.21.13}

User Tag List