Very interesting article regarding misoprostol pill - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-09-2009, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
*Please note* This article is about abortion, but that is absolutely not the reason why I am posting it. I was surprised to see that the pill they use for abortions is also what they use for inductions, which I guess makes sense, but either way......I posted this for the info regarding the dangers of a pill they use for inductions.

Danger of misoprostol pill

Quote:
Originally, the procedure involved inserting the misoprostol pill into the vagina where the medicine was absorbed. But by the end of 2005, four American women and one Canadian had died of a rare bacterial infection afterward, spurring concern among providers and criticism by abortion opponents.
Quote:
Misoprostol, which is officially approved in the U.S. for preventing stomach ulcers, is sold under the brand name Cytotec and made by Pfizer Inc.
This is the same pill they use for inductions! I realize that not all providers use this, but it is a method that some use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 07-10-2009, 01:55 PM

It also causes uterine rupture, and fetal distress. Even the manufacturer doen't recommend it be used for inductions. See:
http://www.petitiononline.com/cytotec/petition.html
http://www.ican-online.org/pregnancy...autionary-tale

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#3 of 4 Old 07-10-2009, 03:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I recall in the movie (I think it was Pregnant in America), that the FDA would only issue an alert that Cytotec not be used for induction due to uterine rupture, but they never really took much action to stop administration of this drug for said use as well as for after labor. Judging from the FDA site, it seems it still is under review.

That scene from the movie was so sad as the woman's pregnant daughter had died from rupture.
From FDA site:
Quote:
Misoprostol (marketed as Cytotec) Information
FDA ALERT – Risks of Use in Labor and Delivery

This Patient Information Sheet is for pregnant women who may receive misoprostol to soften their cervix or induce contractions to begin labor. Misoprostol is sometimes used to decrease blood loss after delivery of a baby. These uses are not approved by the FDA. No company has sent the FDA scientific proof that misoprostol is safe and effective for these uses.

There can be serious side effects, including a torn uterus (womb), when misoprostol is used for labor and delivery. A torn uterus may result in severe bleeding, having the uterus removed (hysterectomy), and death of the mother or baby. These side effects are more likely in women who have had previous uterine surgery, a previous Cesarean delivery (C-section), or several previous births.

This information reflects FDA’s preliminary analysis of data concerning this drug. FDA is considering, but has not reached a final conclusion about, this information. FDA intends to update this sheet when additional information or analyses become available.

Healthcare Professional Information
Prescribing Information (Cytotec Label)
Other Information

Regulatory History of Misoprostol from Drugs@FDA
Adverse reactions or quality problems experienced with the use of this Product may be reported to the FDA's MedWatch Adverse Event Reporting program either online, by regular mail or by fax, using the contact information at the bottom of this sheet.

#4 of 4 Old 07-10-2009, 04:50 PM

Ina May Gaskin covers this topic (Cytotec/ruptures/off-label uses) pretty extensively in Ina May's Guide to Childbirth. Esp. in a VBAC situation, its apparently fairly dangerous.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page