Once head is engaged, any danger to the baby? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 07-09-2009, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is a total rookie question... But babys head is engaged now, and I fear hurting his head/neck area by rapid movement. I turn over pretty aggressively (due to hip pain, I turn alot, and I have to kinda toss myself over without using much pressure on my hips) and I have started having nightmare visions of hurting his neck, or head???

Is there anyway I should avoid sitting, or movements I should skip all together?

HELP! IM full of 37 week neuroses!!!

Married to my best friend, and favorite person in the world... Proud 1st time mama to our son, Conway James. Born July 29th!::::
#2 of 12 Old 07-09-2009, 06:39 PM
Banned

It would take a pretty hard impact directly on your belly to damage a baby, engaged or not. Your body provides a lot of cushioning. If you could truly hurt an engaged baby simply by moving wrong or sitting down, no one would ever have a healthy baby.
#3 of 12 Old 07-09-2009, 10:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula Fairie View Post
It would take a pretty hard impact directly on your belly to damage a baby, engaged or not. Your body provides a lot of cushioning. If you could truly hurt an engaged baby simply by moving wrong or sitting down, no one would ever have a healthy baby.
That sounds about right..

My midwives also told me that you shouldn't do any deep squatting late in the third trimester. That it can put your baby in a bad position for birth, other than that I don't think there's much to worry about. (and really you're not going to hurt the baby by squatting)

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11.  We are planning our next adventure to South America in April 2014!
#4 of 12 Old 07-09-2009, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter

hahaha amazing. I just decided today to start doing some squatting. and Even though I only made it through 5 I now am worried about that.
Haven't done ONE squat the entire pregnancy nd then today..... hahahaha AMAZING!

Married to my best friend, and favorite person in the world... Proud 1st time mama to our son, Conway James. Born July 29th!::::
#5 of 12 Old 07-09-2009, 11:57 PM
Banned

Also you can pull your groin muscle doing deep squatting in late pregnancy. Ask me how I know.
#6 of 12 Old 07-10-2009, 09:24 AM

Dont worry!!! baby will be more safe than ever after the head is engaged. You will actually feel more comfortable once the head gets a little down. Ask your doctor whether you use some sort of cushion for your hip pain. may be you can have suggestions on your sleeping and sitting position and you walking.

Be confident and have a vision of your baby in your hands. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!
#7 of 12 Old 07-10-2009, 11:09 AM

Baby is pretty much doing a headstand underwater... imagine like at the pool.

Your post made me laugh b/c this little one is still transverse and its head is sticking out like 3 inches below my right ribs.... I am completely freaked out that I will roll over at night and hurt it.

I've heard different thoughts about the squatting. If your interested spinningbabies.com has a lot of info about positioning that's super-cool regardless.
#8 of 12 Old 07-10-2009, 11:14 AM

My baby's head is engaged, and the pain is a million times worse. I don't know how it could get better when she's pulling my pubic bone apart and putting insane pressure on my pelvis.

But I just wanted to say, babies can float up out of the engaged position. Yesterday I had an internal and baby was 0 station, and as soon as the midwife touched her head, she jumped back up to floating. My guess would be that if they can move out of the pelvis that quickly, then they won't be hurt by any sudden movements.

I'm Kellie :, married to Chris , and mom to one baby girl (7/12/09).
#9 of 12 Old 07-10-2009, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Should I be concerned about squats?
I've been doing deep squats daily for months, I aim for three sets of 20 a day but have not been doing them every day lately (just lazy). I asked my OB in the beginning of my pregnancy if this is all right and he was very encouraging. He said it will help my stamina, as well as birthing.
Now I am wondering though. I'd really hate to discontinue them as I feel so strong now and I think they have really helped.
???

(sorry Amber Lynn, I think this is getting away from your orginal question)
#10 of 12 Old 07-10-2009, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Nt at all !!! These are all questions I have too!!!
Please continue!!!

#11 of 12 Old 07-10-2009, 07:06 PM

I did a lot of squats w/ ds and also during this pregnancy b/c I want to build up those muscles for squatting during labor. Both midwives I've seen know about it and have never discouraged me.
#12 of 12 Old 07-10-2009, 10:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I mentioned to my midwives a couple of months ago that I was doing lots of squatting while gardening and they discouraged it. I said, "I thought squatting was good?" and they answered with, "it can put the baby in a bad position for birth and that it should be avoided in late pregnancy". I have no idea which information is actually correct..:

It always seems that there's one opinion and then there's someone else's.. Who knows..

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11.  We are planning our next adventure to South America in April 2014!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page