Question about 3D ultrasounds - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-13-2009, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hubby and I have been looking in to a 3D Ultrasound - and found one place that will guarantee 30 minutes of viewing + a bunch of other stuff (including live broadcasting so our family can watch from home as well which is a huge selling feature for us) - my question is, is there any risk to the baby if we had a 3D ultrasound for 30 minutes? this is our first child, and we haven't even had our regular ultrasound yet (booked for next month, this one we need to book soon to have at the end of September) so we're a little in the dark. Thank you

♥ Hubby and I expecting our first : January 12, 2010 ♥
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2009, 03:38 PM

I don't know that there is any "proven documented risk" type thing, but I just don't have a good feeling about them.
Personally..I think they are a bit creepy....it just seems, almost scary getting such a close look. But that's just me. They seem to be all the rage among a lot of excited happy expected parents....
Old 07-13-2009, 03:47 PM

IMO there is no evidence in EITHER direction proving w/o doubt the safety or unsafety (is that even a word?) of fetal u/s exposure. I seriously doubt we will every know.

That being said, I'm in favor or diagnostic u/s when warranted and if the information is helpful to the parents. (Note, I say to the parents, not to the drs.) I do not view 3d u/s just to see the baby as medically necessary or diagnostic in purpose. 30 minutes of u/s seems like a long time.

Now, if there were a concern of a congenital defect of some sort (DH was born with one that we look for at the 20w scan) that needed to be diagnosed, then I'd be all for a perinatologist doing a detailed scan, but not necessarily the 3D or 4D and certainly not for that long a time period. But at an u/s place not affiliated with my CP? nowayinhell.

Stinkerton 12/10/01 9lbs8oz, induced to c/s; Little Man 5/20/03 7lbs11oz, r c/s, fear of another labor; Jillybean 11/18/07 10lbs8oz 37cm head, induced VBA2C; and the Wee Beastie, 9lbs8oz, 35cm head, rpt VBA2C
Old 07-13-2009, 04:07 PM

There is a thread about ultrasounds a little further down the page; there are some interesting points of view from both angles (okay with/not okay with scans).

I personally would not go for a 30 min 3D scan just to see the baby, but I AM comfortable with 2-3 diagnostic scans spread over the 40something weeks of a pregnancy. Where I currently live, they normally switch over to 3D/4D after all the measuring etc is done for a very brief look at the baby and I am okay with that.

You have to find your own personal level of comfort.. do some research

Good Luck
Old 07-13-2009, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

thank you very much for your comments - I will definitely take a look at that thread (sorry, didn't even look for one - silly me) and do some more research before we book - 30 min seemed a little long to me for that kind of exposure to our precious peanut but it's done by a medical doctor so I figured it couldn't be bad.

My doctor said that I will only have 1 scan at about 20 weeks and that's it.. a friend of mine who is over 30 had 3 scans but they said that's unneccessary for me which is what made me start to second guess getting the extended 3D. thank you all again!

Old 07-13-2009, 04:15 PM

They have not been proven safe. I don't do any u/s without medical reason- including doppler. No way I would ever do half an hour for no reason.

-Angela
Old 07-13-2009, 04:29 PM

when we had our regular ultrasound the tech was able to also show us the 3d. so we didn't have to pay extra and we got the pictures of both.

SAHM to Coraline Mae, born 09/16/09. Expecting #2 10/04!
mdcblog5.gifsigncirc1.gifcd.giffly-by-nursing1.gif

Vice President of Boston Babywearers

Old 07-13-2009, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
They have not been proven safe. I don't do any u/s without medical reason- including doppler. No way I would ever do half an hour for no reason.

-Angela
thank you for your post Angela I have read the other thread and do see that many people feel the same way - for me it isn't 'no reason' - it's our first baby and we are excited to see him or her, and share that experience with our family as it will be the first grandchild on both sides - so the opportunity to do a 'live broadcast' is very appealing to us. and while I do believe that 30 minutes is a little extensive, I will most likely discuss it with my doctor to see what her thoughts are and continue to gather information to make an informed decision that works for us

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosergirl View Post
when we had our regular ultrasound the tech was able to also show us the 3d. so we didn't have to pay extra and we got the pictures of both.
Good call dosergirl - ty - I need to call around to see if there is a place where I can get my 20 week in 2d and 3d - currently where I'm booked I only have the option for 2d - that would definitely save us the money the other service would cost!

Old 07-13-2009, 05:06 PM

I'm sorry- I should have said no medical reason. I don't do ANY u/s without medical reason as ethically I don't think it's a reasonable risk.

-Angela
Old 07-13-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -bekkie- View Post
snip
for me it isn't 'no reason' - it's our first baby and we are excited to see him or her, and share that experience with our family as it will be the first grandchild on both sides - so the opportunity to do a 'live broadcast' is very appealing to us.
snip
We did our first time around for these exact reasons, and it was an extremely enjoyable experience for everyone involved! I would recommend a 3d/4d ultrasound session if it's something you're interested in and willing to pay for.

Sami; Dedicated to Joey, 6yrs as Wife... already 10 as Sweetheart heartbeat.gif
"attached" SAHM for our spunky Leo boys twins.gif Loki & Joseph (2 & 5)

2ndtri.gif We've got a new addition - our first babygirl - arriving mid to late February! Life is good.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:48 PM

Personally, I have no issue with regular ultrasounds, within reason (ie, not every week or something, bleck), but 3D/4D seems more risky. I was told that its generally not recommended that you have a 3D ultrasound unless the *benefits outwiegh the risks.* I'm not sure if the waves used are different, I think maybe just a different level? But they say they dont know the risks associated with them and as such, they should only be used for diagnostic purposes.

Having said that, I had one with my surrogate daughter 5 years ago. It was pretty neat to see, but really odd for me-I could feel the ultrasound or something, it was tingly and didnt really feel good. I doubt she has any lasting effects from it either. But...I just cant take any risks with my kids. If I got it done and then found out 5 years later that it caused some sort of cancer or something...I couldnt live with myself.

I know its exciting and you cant wait but before you know it, you'll have a little baby to hold and suddenly that ultrasound will seem so unimportant.

Also, just as an FYI-baby's in utero are NOT always very cute. Just keep that in mind! (they look really odd in the face at younger gestations and still look odd until close to delivery due to the lack of fat-like a preemie would) Unless you get it pretty close to delivery-which would kind of defeat the purpose, might as well wait a few more weeks to see the real thing!-the baby wont look like it will when its born.

Anywho, just my 2cents

Cari-mama to Eriq, Lile, Paikea, Kaidyn, and Mieke is here!! 2/9/10
Old 07-13-2009, 06:33 PM

Here is an article with some information on the affects of ultrasounds on a fetus

http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articl...undrodgers.asp

The fda warns against them

SAHM to DD (May/07) and DS (Jan/10)
Old 07-13-2009, 06:44 PM

Oh totally, in-utero faces definitely aren't very cute.. now a tiny back, bottom, and foot in there.. that's a different story.

I suppose it is simply a novelty. A worthwhile one if you're a first time parent and don't consider it risky.

2ndtri.gif We've got a new addition - our first babygirl - arriving mid to late February! Life is good.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by samikashi View Post
We did our first time around for these exact reasons, and it was an extremely enjoyable experience for everyone involved! I would recommend a 3d/4d ultrasound session if it's something you're interested in and willing to pay for.
Oh totally, in-utero faces definitely aren't very cute.. now a tiny back, bottom, and foot in there.. that's a different story.

I suppose it is simply a novelty. A worthwhile one if you're a first time parent and don't consider it risky
thank you for your post sami! A friend of ours who had their baby 4 months ago had one at 32 weeks.. and he looked the exact same when he came out.. it just absolutely amazed us - and yeah.. to see their lil hand.. or foot... awwww

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocsNemesis View Post

Anywho, just my 2cents
And I thank you for them
I have heard that 3D ultrasounds are more risky as well, I had heard them explained like an xray - which makes sense, I just think there are many risks we put ourselves and our babies through every day... and I don't quite get how something performed by a medical doctor could be that dangerous to my child... but as I've stated.. I'm a first time mom just starting her research and very naive about all of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshadow View Post
Here is an article with some information on the affects of ultrasounds on a fetus

http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articl...undrodgers.asp

The fda warns against them
thank you for your post sunshadow - I will definitely take a read through!

Old 07-13-2009, 07:25 PM

I'm in the "as many pictures as possible" camp. I'm going twice for the 30 minutes - once in the next few weeks and once closer to the end. And I don't feel even one bit scared about it, not one iota.

To each their own, eh? I'd for sure scan the other thread(s) if you're trying to make up your own mind, but I wanna see my girl!

:yawning 33yo first-time solo mama to DD born 11/21/09
Old 07-13-2009, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasgrl View Post
I'm in the "as many pictures as possible" camp. I'm going twice for the 30 minutes - once in the next few weeks and once closer to the end. And I don't feel even one bit scared about it, not one iota.

To each their own, eh? I'd for sure scan the other thread(s) if you're trying to make up your own mind, but I wanna see my girl!
that's wonderful!! good luck and enjoy seeing your little baby girl - I don't know what we're having yet - gonna find out at our 20 week regular scan - so very excited!!

I see the pictures on the website of where we're thinking of going and I can only imagine how amazing the feeling would be to be there watching him or her inside me and then getting to share that with family across the country with the live broadcasting.. even as I read about what "could" go wrong I can't help but think about everything that "could" go wrong any day... I know people feel very strongly about it one way or another.. but yes, to each their own! gonna still talk to my doc about it before making the appointment, but I really hope she clears it!

Old 07-13-2009, 08:08 PM

I had the 30 min 3D/4D at 26 weeks and it was fine. Actually, it took about 15-20 minutes just to finally get a good shot of her because she had her feet and hands in her face most of the time or was turned so that she wasn't facing us. Had we done the 15 min it would have been a waste of money.

Proud *single* mom to 3 amazing kiddos
Old 07-13-2009, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samikashi View Post
I suppose it is simply a novelty. A worthwhile one if you're a first time parent and don't consider it risky.
3rd time parent here and I absolutely enjoyed it. This will be our last child and I really wanted to do it. Even my 14 yr old son enjoyed watching the 3D/4D u/s.

Proud *single* mom to 3 amazing kiddos
Old 07-13-2009, 09:01 PM

Quote:
and I don't quite get how something performed by a medical doctor could be that dangerous to my child...
Do some more research- LOTS of things medical doctors do can be dangerous to your child- c-sections without medical reason, epidurals, vaccination, circumcision- the list goes on and on.

-Angela
Old 07-13-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Do some more research- LOTS of things medical doctors do can be dangerous to your child- c-sections without medical reason, epidurals, vaccination, circumcision- the list goes on and on.

-Angela
:

~paxye~
Mama to Xavier (July 02) , Colin (Sept 04), Khéna(Nov 06) & Wilhelmina (Jan 10)
Old 07-13-2009, 10:33 PM

Quote:

-Angela
I agree with Angela.

To the OP: Even lots of medical doctors say to be cautious of those 3-D or 4-D ultrasounds. Please do extensive research before saying "yes." If there was an urgent medical reason to do it (and I'm just talking regular ulrasound here), I would, but never never never for a non-medical reason. It's not worth the risk to the baby.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:36 PM

If you're anything like me, with enough research you will wonder how you could have ever been so trusting and naive.

I know I look back upon my first pregnancy where I trusted everything my doc told me and now that I know better, I regret so many things.

My only advice is to do your homework. Seek out information that you might not want to know... and try to keep yourself from only seeking the information you want to hear....

Good luck in making your decision!

Ali - Wife to Steve and mom to Zoe - age 7, and Ezra - 17 months (9/2009)
Old 07-13-2009, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcytrue View Post
3rd time parent here and I absolutely enjoyed it. This will be our last child and I really wanted to do it. Even my 14 yr old son enjoyed watching the 3D/4D u/s.
That must've been a neat thing to share with your teen!

Old 07-13-2009, 11:52 PM

Quote:
t. and I don't quite get how something performed by a medical doctor could be that dangerous to my child...
I really recommend you read "Pushed" by Jennifer Block, then. Dr's do harmful things all the time. They may think they mean well...

Stinkerton 12/10/01 9lbs8oz, induced to c/s; Little Man 5/20/03 7lbs11oz, r c/s, fear of another labor; Jillybean 11/18/07 10lbs8oz 37cm head, induced VBA2C; and the Wee Beastie, 9lbs8oz, 35cm head, rpt VBA2C
Old 07-14-2009, 01:24 AM
poe

While I appreciate that there are varying opinions on the subject of ultrasound, I feel the need to set the record straight in terms of the physics of ultrasound itself.

Ultrasound uses sound waves at various frequencies that are converted to electrical impulses within the ultrasound machine and transducer. These electrical impulses in turn produce the visual image used for diagnostic purposes. Ultrasound is NOT AND NEVER HAS BEEN X-ray radiation. They are two entirely different forms of energy.

3D ultrasound does not use any more ultrasound energy than 2D and is therefore considered safe when medically indicated. Doppler ultrasound is not the same as 2D or 3D ultrasound. There are different types of Doppler u/s, but all employ greater energy than 2D/3D. Fetal hand-held Doppler units use continuous wave pulses which emit much more energy than 2D/3D.

Both the FDA and the AIUM oppose the use of any ultrasound if not medically indicated.

OK, with those facts presented I will state that: IMO, I think that a 3D "keepsake" ultrasound should not be performed without first having a 2D anatomical survey ultrasound by an ARDMS registered ultrasound technologist and - read by either a qualified OB/GYN physician or, a radiologist with knowledge of obstetric ultrasound.

Also, those gorgeous 3D images that you often see are not a guarantee. Many conditions have to be just right to get that kind of image. Unfortunately, it's pretty much all up to the baby!

To the OP: best of luck with whatever you decide, and best wishes for a happy, healthy baby

resources:
www.aium.org/
www.fetaldopplerfacts.org
Doppler Ultrasound in Gynecology and Obstetrics - by Christof Sohn, Hans-Joachim Voight, Klaus Vetter
Old 07-14-2009, 03:15 AM

Quote:

I have heard that 3D ultrasounds are more risky as well, I had heard them explained like an xray - which makes sense, I just think there are many risks we put ourselves and our babies through every day... and I don't quite get how something performed by a medical doctor could be that dangerous to my child... but as I've stated.. I'm a first time mom just starting her research and very naive about all of it

Most of us start out pretty naive...no shame in that! I've learned the hardest ways, so I want everyone else to know some of the things I didn't know the first time around!

An easy case for being aware of possible risks of many interventions (not specifically u/s!) is made by simply watching the Business of Being Born AND it's entertaining to us pregnant women who are fascinated with our babies growing inside us as we prepare for their arrival. Read some Marsden Wagner and the rest of the highly recommended books that you'll see repeatedly in these forums.

Sometimes it is amazing to me just exactly what routinely happens because a medical professional decides something works for them as opposed to really being fully aware of the consequences/caring about the consequences to a woman and her child/future children...
Old 07-14-2009, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

thank you all so much for your posts and resources - I absolutely don't want to put my precious little one in any sort of danger - and I really do appreciate the time you all took to post your thoughts and experiences.

poe: thank you so very much for posting information on ultrasound technology - I am getting my 2D ultrasound at 20 weeks for medical purposes and was thinking (if hubby and I decide to do it) of getting the 3D one at 32 weeks.

once again, thank you all so much for your posts and information - I will most definitely do a lot more research before making the best decision for my little one.

User Tag List