Prenatal Tea instead of Prenatal Vitamins? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 07-18-2009, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone use this method? I would still be taking Folic Acid. Probably the 'tea' would actually be a Nettle/Rasberry Leaf infusion, possibly also with Oatstraw.

If this belongs somewhere else that is more geared toward herbalism, LMK! <3

:::
#2 of 10 Old 07-18-2009, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I only have my opinion to offer. But I would personally do both the tea and the vitamins. That is what I am doing. I already drink a lot of those good herbal teas and have for a long time. I am not a vitamin taker generally- but I am taking prenatals. But lately I have been doing the vitamins every other day rather than every day which I did at first. I am just trusting my instinct. which is really the best any of us can do. I think I will switch back to every day eventually, btw.
I think the herbs help a lot- but the vitamins give a really big boost which is probably helpful.
#3 of 10 Old 07-18-2009, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

I can't get down with any type of synthetic vitamin, 90% of Prenatals on the market are awful, containing dyes, parabens and who knows what else, kwim?

I don't think they are backed by solid evidence (I mean each individual ingredient has not been studied against a placebo) and the whole foods prenatals (which I did take last time) are SO expensive. Aviva Jill Romm & Susun Weed seem to endorse skipping them, plus strong Nettle infusion has MANY vitamins and minerals.

I am still taking Folic Acid and also may take extra Cal/Mag at some point.
#4 of 10 Old 07-18-2009, 11:59 AM

I think it is good that you are trusting your instinct! I am taking New Chapter Perfect Prenatal. It works okay for me. but it sounds like you know what your body needs.
#5 of 10 Old 07-18-2009, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

What is the price you are getting on New Chapter?
#6 of 10 Old 07-18-2009, 01:01 PM

It is about $30 a bottle.
#7 of 10 Old 07-18-2009, 07:28 PM

NAK...
If you do the infusion-strength of the herbs, rather than just the tea-strength, that will go a long way for you. I didn't take prenatals. I took infusions mainly for the minerals, and got vitamins in other food-based ways. I entered a typical day of my eating into nutritiontracker.com, and chose some superfood supplements for things I seemed low in. I also bought separate supplements for days when my eating was poor, like in the first trimester. I also made sure I got plenty of good fats.

My baby boy is very healthy and my labor went well -- and I didn't have a lot of the difficult pregnancy symptoms that I had last time, when I took prenatals. I didn't have muscle cramps, for example, and my energy was far better. I was following a traditional foods, WAPF diet this time. I feel like organ meats (esp. liver), good fats, and the infusions were some of my strongest allies this pregnancy.

Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

#8 of 10 Old 07-18-2009, 07:36 PM

what does nak stand for? I can't figure that out!
#9 of 10 Old 07-18-2009, 07:45 PM

Nursing At Keyboard...

Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

#10 of 10 Old 07-19-2009, 10:58 AM

OH! I see that all the time on here and never got that. Maybe by next year I will though as I can try that one myself then!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page