Talk to me about breaking the (eating) rules - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 66 Old 08-10-2009, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegoat View Post
Yeah, some of the rules don't even make sense on the face of it - no pasteurized soft cheese? Give me a break. No honey? - your chances of botulism from honey are no greater when you are pregnant than when you aren't, and how much do you worry about that?
Whoa no honey now? They add gobs and gobs to this list of "no goes" while pregnant every year. I could never keep up with it.

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

#62 of 66 Old 08-10-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelpie545 View Post
Whoa no honey now? They add gobs and gobs to this list of "no goes" while pregnant every year. I could never keep up with it.
I think that's the reason why more and more people are throwing out more and more of the "no-no" advice and taking more chances than they should. It gets overwhelming. Some of the stuff I see people I know eating is just bad now and they say they feel like if they follow the rules they will be miserable and not be able to eat anything at all.
#63 of 66 Old 08-10-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegoat View Post
But I think what actually gets passed on to moms does not always reflect what the science says. For example, my normally sensible doctor tells her patients not to eat soft cheese. Well, unpasteurized cheese is actually illegal in this province, so it's not really an issue. And how many moms get told NO AMOUNT OF ALCOHOL IS SAFE!

I think that's what people find frustrating.

One thing that I've noticed I'd like to ask people about - mercury in fish. Are the people who worry don't about mercury in fish also not worried about mercury in vaccinations? I'm not really that worried about it in vaccinations, but I know some moms are, and I'm curious.
Yea, I think that's the issue here. Even though there are technically no "rules" only "recommendations" by health are providers, what actually ends up getting presented to pregnant women sounds like rules not to be broken under any circumstances, which promotes the fear-based reaction. IMO, it's better to be presented with the actual science. That way, women can decide for themselves without having their doctors lecture them (not that all doctors do that, but some do).

#64 of 66 Old 08-10-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayndrewsmama View Post
I think that's the reason why more and more people are throwing out more and more of the "no-no" advice and taking more chances than they should. It gets overwhelming. Some of the stuff I see people I know eating is just bad now and they say they feel like if they follow the rules they will be miserable and not be able to eat anything at all.
I guess I'm on a posting frenzy today, huh? I've heard that "I'm not allowed to eat anything!" from pregnant friends before. My girlfriend who had a baby last year was always complaining that she couldn't have anything while she was pregnant, but she wasn't willing to look at the science or "break" any of the "rules". I felt bad for her, but at the same time she wasn't exactly open to another interpretation.

#65 of 66 Old 08-11-2009, 02:21 AM

I am willing to break all the "rules" except my own (which is a self imposed ban on sugars; which I tend to break every once in a while anyways).

I am REALLY craving sushi! And am planning a meal out with DH soon, as soon as I can find a really good place.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#66 of 66 Old 08-11-2009, 06:18 AM

wonderful thread, thanks!

i'm way more concerned with cutting out crap that's not really FOOD, like refined carbs and sugars, artificial ingredients and "nutrient enriched" empty calories, cutting down on saturated fats, and eating stuff that comes from around where i live when possible.

let's meditate on craving things that feed our bodies and our babies and our food-loving spirits!

also, i DO think there are rules. cultural mores carry weight, especially ones based in science and promoted by fear.

me+him for 15 yrs, welcomed our little one march 25th, 2010.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page