Mothering Forum banner

When do babies drop?

816 views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  sunnygir1 
#1 ·
What is the normal "time frame" when your baby drops? I am 28 weeks and just today I started feeling baby lower than I have been. There is a pressure on my lower hips and everything and I can feel something hard down low. Is it possible baby has dropped already or is it just the position baby is laying in right now?

#2 ·
It's not likely that your baby has dropped yet. But he/she is getting big enough to put more pressure on your cervix. Some babies are more mobile in utero and change positions a lot (my current pregnancy is that way - he is high up one day and down very low the next!).
Not all babies "drop" either. It's more common in first-time moms, but isn't guaranteed. As a first-timer, it's likely to have your baby drop about 2 weeks before you go into labor, give or take a little.
If you're feeling a lot of pelvic pressure, also consider getting tested for a UTI. They can sometimes feel like a dropped baby.

#3 ·
Its not a UTI as I just had one and took antibiotics for it and just was re tested yesterday and everything is clear.
It must just be the baby moving around and laying low today. At my midwife app monday she said the head was up by my ribs so maybe its flipping around or something in there.

#4 ·
It's definitely a possibility that baby's just practicing acrobatics! My first baby used to shove her foot into my cervix really hard. That was a strange, intense pressure!

#5 ·
For first babies, they usually drop a maximum of about 4 weeks before delivery but they might wait until you go into labour.

An Australian study showed that 70% of women with their first child didn't drop until the day labour began (I THINK that's what it was? I might not be 100% on that, though).

For women who've had a baby before, it's much more likely for the baby to not engage until right before labour.

#9 ·
Mine dropped on the early end...maybe four or five weeks before labor? It was really dramatic, must have happened during the night. I remember waking up and walking into the bathroom and thinking, OMG, what happened to my boobs? They were all saggy and far away.
Then I realized it was the top of my belly that had actually gotten lower, and that it was no longer propping up my boobs!

#11 ·
More than likely it's your baby slowly turning itself to get ready for the "enry to tthe world" position. I read that babies start turning slowly into the head down position starting at 27 weeks or so.

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by jess152 View Post
Maybe it's baby with head down. Imagine how much pressure that head would put on everything! Can you feel kicking and pushing on your ribs?
I think this is what happened to me a week or so ago. I am 28 weeks (I think?) with my second baby. My baby has been transverse (lying sideways across my belly) so far, but I'm pretty sure the head is down now, lots more pressure on my bladder and my pelvic floor...I can't BELIEVE how frequently I have to pee, and for a couple days I just felt sore, engorged, and swollen on my bottom (hope that's not TMI).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.