anyone still losing hair during pregnancy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-05-2009, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello Everyone-

I'm 11 weeks (or so) pregnant, and still losing hair every day. Did anyone else experience this? Should I be concerned?
Thanks to all who read this, and to those who respond.
Happiness to all of you!
#2 of 8 Old 08-05-2009, 09:07 PM

I was in the first and leading into the second trimesters. It was so bad I had to cut my hair (14 inches off). The dr tested me and said I had low b12, so I started taking a supplement for that, and since then it has greatly improved. Not sure if cutting my hair has helped or the vitamin. Good luck, I know how embarrassing it can be.

Jenn, single, wahm, to Kayla Rayne born 8-18-09 and Gunnar James who was born sleeping @ 39 weeks 1/12/2011
#3 of 8 Old 08-05-2009, 09:40 PM

Mine was falling out badly in the first tri, I am a shed monster as my DH puts it. Now though it's stopped. I think it stopped right around like 15-16 weeks or so, I just remember going ok now I'm not shedding anymore one day in the shower and now my hair is growing an inch a month and turning into a big puff-ball because it has gotten so curly this pregnancy.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#4 of 8 Old 08-05-2009, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for sharing your (hairy) experiences with me! I'm getting some bloodwork done in a couple of days, so I'll make sure to check my B12 levels. Thanks for relieving some of my stress!
#5 of 8 Old 08-05-2009, 09:58 PM

Might have your thryoid checked, too.

Momma to 7
#6 of 8 Old 08-05-2009, 10:03 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
My hair didn't stop falling out until about 4 months (17 weeks or so). I think it's normal.

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11 + Someone New in May 2015! After years of planning, we are finally living our dream in South America!!
#7 of 8 Old 08-05-2009, 10:17 PM

Oh my gosh, I JUST made a thread about this in the nutrition forum! I thought it might have been my diet. I found out I was pregnant last week, and that's around the time my hair started falling out in a MAJOR way.

We have white tile in the bathroom, and it's like a carpet in there. It's like half my hair fell out - no joke. I used to have a lot of hair, and it was thick. Now, it's like half of that.

I called my ND, and she said that while a lot of women experience the opposite - more hair growth, a number of women experience hair loss. I'm sadly one of those lucky ones. She said it would stop eventually, and reassured me that I wouldn't go bald. Still ... it's so scary seeing all that hair fall out!

First special delivery - April 2010 :
#8 of 8 Old 08-05-2009, 11:30 PM

21 weeks (almost) and my hair is STILL falling out! Ugh! I never thought of a deficancy...I'll look into that now!

Mandy, Jesus loving, homebirthing, cloth diapering, baby wearing, breastfeeding, non-vaxing, food growing, homeschooling, hippy mama of 4.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page