September Mommies - Feb. thread! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-04-2004, 02:40 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So glad I have other women to talk to about being sick and all the other wonderful things pregnancy brings.

We aren't going to do an u/s unless there is a very good reason to do one. I can't wait to hear the heartbeat though.
With my m/c that lasted to 7wks I just knew he was a boy. I'm 7wks today and have no real feelings either way. Part of me has thought of twins. We will know soon enough.

We have no boy names yet.
Our girl names so far are...
Kaia Marie
Erin Aletha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2004, 04:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I am totally for finding out the sex. We didn't the first two times, but did with Bridget. I thought it was much better knowing. Plus, logistics come into play. We are finishing decorating the house, and the baby's sex is going to play a role in decisions about room space and whatnot. Either way, I will be thrilled at the delivery, so I see no need to keep it suspensful.....I don't like surprises anyway!!

I don't know about names..I liked Isabelle, but now I see that it is in the top 10. I hate that. So I don't know....

I am in a bad mood today, I went to my regular playgroup for my neighborhood. A bunch of the mothers were standing around making fun of people who breastfeed their babies past the age "the child can make it known they want it". What??? How stupid. They all know I nursed my kids over two years....I am sort of the weird mom who nursed her toddlers and gives that herbal stuff. Plus my kids don't ahve all their vaccines....Ugh.

Of course, whose kids are sick every week?? And whose kids have had one 12 hour stomache virus this winter????

Okay..vent over...

caroline
Old 02-04-2004, 04:39 PM

Quote:
I am sort of the weird mom who nursed her toddlers and gives that herbal stuff. Plus my kids don't ahve all their vaccines....Ugh.
Caroline, that's me in my neighborhood. It does get tiring being the weirdo but we know we're doing what's right for our families!!

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
Old 02-04-2004, 05:02 PM

I joined a mothering group for a while they have a lot of play groups during the week in my neighborhood. Well, I dropped out because they were very anti-breastfeeding. I don't mind being part of a group that doesn't exist for the purpose of being probfing, but I'm not going to be part of a group that actively slams it!! We have to run into them at the parks all the time and they drive me so crazy!!! The mothers just get together to talk and pay NO attention to their kids whatsoever. The kids run wild and knock over all the toddlers around - okay, I'll stop venting now. I just wish I had a huge group of cool mamas around here!
Old 02-04-2004, 05:37 PM

Ugh. I don't join playgroups for the breastfeeding either..I just wish people would look at facts. Or research it yourself. I think as a rule, parents spend more time researching their new cars that they do matters that affect their kids. Like, vaccines. I am not anti-vaccine. BUT, there are some that are NOT NECCASARY. Who cares if your kids gets chicken pox?? It will give then a life long immunity if you deal with it once. But some of these people run out and shoot up their kids without even knowing what it is!!!! I was told I am crazy for having a fourth baby. No, I am blesses 4 times over and I ENJOY my kids. Okay, I am rambling. Obviously I am worked up over this...

Caroline
Old 02-04-2004, 06:59 PM

My two cents about vaccination: why the he** would you vaccinate a wee babe against hepatitis b just as a regular course of action?!

I feel blessed to work in a community with a lot of people who think about these issues. We have a number of people who have not vaccinated their children and that is permitted in our school if they have a notarized conscientious objector status on their vaccination forms. One of my second graders has had all of his childhood diseases and the only thing different about him is that he's a little smaller and his teeth are slow (he's just losing his first teeth now and darn, is he cute with no top teeth and only 1 bottom one!). Of course, that might just be him and have nothing to do with his vaccination status! I just know that the kids are my school are healthy as horses. Many were nursed up until the start of two-day Kindergarten (3-1/2 years old), some were even nursed that year still. We also have a lot of folks who believe in rich foods and raw milk. These children are so incredibly healthy, it makes me question the head epidemiologist of the state of MN whom I met once and who told me that families who feed their children raw milk products are "crazy".

One thing that is difficult for me is that my best friend has become an allopathic doctor who is very pro-vaccine. She recommends the chickenpox vaccine to all new parents as well, because she says there just aren't enough 'wild' strains of chickenpox anymore to guarantee that kids are going to catch it while they're young. Well gee, I wonder why that is?! Perhaps because all these kids are getting immunized against it?!!! Imagine that poor little baby getting mmr, dpt, chickenpox, polio and hep b all at one appointment!!! I could never do it to my own child. We'll go in every other week for one shot if need be.

Does anyone here have experiences demanding vaccines not preserved in thimerosal for their children? Supposedly they are all available, but it always seems to be an uphill battle.

Our names:

Tristan James for a boy; Tristan we both just really like and James for Jo's beloved black sheep Uncle Jimmy;

girl name is still up in the air, first name either Alexa or Alexandra, middle name probably Constance. Alexa always reminds me of Billy Joel's song "The Downeaster Alexa" from the album Storm Front, which we always listen to on the car while driving up north to our favorite vacation spot. Constance is for Jo's mom's best friend (aka Jo's aunt) Connie.

Shannon I hope your meeting went all right and I'm flattered that you liked Bedlam so much

My tummy has... been... *shhhh* mostly ok today.

In hopes that that's a good sign!

xo, jen

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
Old 02-04-2004, 07:09 PM

I NEED A STEAK......meduim rare...with plenty of A-1 on the side....

Ugh. I am reading pregnant woman trashy "novels"...the TGI Fridays online menu....

I wish I knew how to turn this darn BBQ on!!!!!

Caroline
Old 02-04-2004, 07:11 PM

I love hearing other people's name choices!
We have lists, but really have no ideas. One thing I have always been insistant on is that the name is not in the top 25 (of course unless it's something like Mary or John, which of course are classics).
My husband wants Rex for a boy, but I am adamantly opposed!
Old 02-04-2004, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Jen,

I have a stupid question, but nobody make fun of me for asking....

Why do you have a 75% chance of having a boy just because you used frozen sperm? Ive been thinking about it and I just cant figure it out.
Old 02-04-2004, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

We havent really started talking about names yet. I have lists from previous pregnancies, but I dont know that Ive found the "perfect" one though.

Some girl names I like are: Avery, Abigail, Jillian, Willow, Karina...

boy names I like would be: Spencer, Reid, Ashton, Micah, Callum...

I dont know that this baby will be named any of those though.

I love everyone elses names! Especially Tanner for a girl, Shannon and Shiva is beautiful as well, Heather.
Old 02-04-2004, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Caroline,

You know what, I used to go to a playgroup that sounds JUST like yours! I had been going for about 3 years, in fact, I even helped one other girl form it, but I stopped going in Nov. 03 because I just couldnt stand being around the other girls anymore. It would make me feel physically ill to even think about going, needless to say I feel much better now that I dont have to deal with them anymore.

I felt they they were always "picking on me" because of the choices I make. Like the fact that Paityn still nurses, that I stayed at home to labor with her instead of going to the hospital, that shes not vaccinated, even that I delayed solids. One girl has even told me that I am wrong to do these things and since they all go along with the mainstream, they would just basically agree with her.

I really realized that they were not real friends to me after I miscarried and no one even called to say they were sorry.

Anyways, I guess that thats why I hang out on Mothering so much....I have no one IRL that I really have much in common with.
Old 02-04-2004, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Jen,
It sounds like you live in a GREAT area. I envy you.

We are very lucky here in Texas because we recently were given the option of a conscientious exemption for vaxes. This just became available in 03 and it really makes me feel better. I was wondering what I would do about some of the vaccines that I just cant imagine having Paityn get. She is so healthy right now, only been sick once in 2 years and I dread the thought of having to put anything in her body that could hurt her.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:19 PM

Lynsey - not a stupid question AT ALL! How would we ever learn if we didn't ask questions? (At least that's the way my dental hygienist put it when she quizzed me about my whole quest to parent! I swear, we spent more time talking about babies than my teeth...)

It actually isn't just the freezing alone - it's the combination of frozen sperm and intrauterine insemination (IUI). I think most of us know that xx (girl) sperm are stronger in the long run (or perhaps the long swim?), whereas xy (boy) sperm swim faster but are weaker and die quicker. The combination of freezing and then IUI deals the sperm a really difficult situation. #1, because of the freezing, their life span is cut to a max of 24 hours. #2, because you bypass the protective cervical fluids during IUI and dump the sperm directly into the uterus, which is a hostile environment, it shortens their life span even more - to an average of 8 hours total. I don't know if IUI with fresh sperm has this short short life span - I don't think that it does.

The 8-hour window really makes the long-term swimming strength of the xx sperm moot. If you've got that little time, the fastest swimmers are going to be the ones who get to the egg before dying. And... voila! Your chances of a boy increase exponentially.

I was very lucky on the Dec. insem - I think it was more than luck, though. I had had a hard time getting into the fertility/ttc "state of mind" - wasn't taking my prenatals, was having a glass of wine with dinner every night, all that good stuff they tell you to avoid to improve your fertility... and worst of all, I was totally forgetting to check my pee for an LH surge! With my HMO you have to call in by 1:30 the day of your surge to have an insem the next morning. On 09 Dec I totally spaced and remembered that I hadn't checked at about 2:15, which was too late. I thought in the evening I should check to be sure I hadn't missed it and got the darkest LH surge line I had ever seen. My insem was on 11 Dec which was a minimum of 36 hours after I surged... you're supposed to ovulate 12-40 hours after a surge with a supposed "average" of 24. So I thought my chances were slim to none of conceiving, but the sperm was at the clinic, so I figured we should at least try.

Now keep the quote "coincidence? I think not." in your head. The morning of my insem I:

Woke up w/o alarm clock with plenty of time to have a relaxing morning before driving to my 8AM insem. I usually hit snooze several times and ended up running crazy and late.

Found $2 in the front of my wallet that I didn't know I had, so I didn't have to raid the change jar for parking money at the clinic. Normally I woke Jo up doing this.

There was gorgeous mist coming off of Lake Calhoun, a lake I pass on my way to the clinic. It really soothed my mind.

I found a parking spot immediately - first time ever!

I was calm and relaxed with *warm hands* which was totally out of the ordinary.

I was having Mittelschmerz (ovulation sensation) on my left side when I got there.

I think that the baby was messing with my head to get me to forget to check my pee so that he/she could be conceived! It was try #5.

And that, my dears, is a terribly long post about the trials and tribulations of ttc with frozen sperm and iui. If you've been through it, thank God you're here, and if you haven't, I hope you never have to! It's so hit or miss. Glad we finally hit!!

JEN.

Old 02-04-2004, 11:29 PM

I would encourage all of you mamas who are fed up with these mainstream moms who diss everything you stand for to seriously see if there is a Waldorf school or pre-school in your area. Even if you don't enroll your children there I can guarantee that you will find like-minded mamas in those communities.

Lynsey I'm sorry to say there's not one in the DFW area the only one is in Austin. But there may be preschool initiatives near you.

Also if any of you belong to or shop at natural food co-ops and they have occasional newsletters you could run a little ad that you're looking for like-minded playgroup members... or just see who you meet in the produce section.

Yes, I am very lucky to live in a tremendously forward-thinking area.

My first and original baby - Sydney the fluffy orange cat - is here and sends funny twittering greetings to you all, except maybe not to Shannon's dogs.

I'm done for tonight, really.

Jen

Old 02-04-2004, 11:36 PM

I belong to two playgroups. The one in my neighborhood is definatly for the kids. Bridget attends that one with me when Lilly is in school. So she gets a lot out of it, and I lioke that for her. My second playgroup is a weird mix. I have made some wonderful friends there and I would not give them up for anything. For the most part they are very mainstream, except for a couple (one who has been lurking around here). I am lucky to have found them. It is just frustrating when I feel like I know better, but no one will listen....

Anyway, we have a great support system here...I wish some of you all lived in Pennsylvania!!

Oh, and the pregnacy is going well....(got to stay on topic!!)

Caroline
Old 02-04-2004, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter

I wish there one was in my area - that would be wonderful! Riley will be going to a Montessouri school next year for kindergarden, not really the same thing, but thats as good as it gets around here. (I dont really live in Ft Worth, actually in a small town about 35 miles out). Ive heard GREAT things about it, but Im nervous that its just another private school for rich moms who dont want to send their kids to a Christian school - thats all there is here: public schools, Montessouri and Christian Cornerstone Academy. We will be the poorest ones there I am just being insecure and stupid, I know.

Also a girl that already has her kid there told me that several of the local Drs kids go there - that really bugs me to be honest because it is the local OB/GYN who I know and dont like, the hospitals anesthesiologist, an ENT..........Bleh.
Old 02-05-2004, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter

Jen,

Wow! You tried the artificial insem. 4 times before this?!? Congratulations again! Thanks for the explaination. Now it makes sense to me!

I had a cousin who tried that a few times, but was unable to get pregnant. Finaly after over 5 years they gave up and she became pregnant the old fashioned way! Her son is 5 years old now and theyve been tc since his birth with no luck again. Very strange!
Old 02-05-2004, 12:10 AM

Crap, I said I was done, didn't I?

Montessori can be really good! If it's true Montessori. I admire the work of Maria Montessori. I just don't understand why some Montessori teachers twist her work. We actually share a building with a Montessori school. Unfortunately we don't get along too well.

I implore anyone who is researching Waldorf education to not take Dan Dugan's website (waldorfcritics.org) as a serious view of Waldorf. It's so full of untruths and opinion. The equivalent would be to judge all gay or lesbian people by basing your judgement on what the Rev. Fred Phelps has to say (formerly at godhatesfags.com, but no longer...).

Really, I swear I'm finished!

Jen

Old 02-05-2004, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter

Jen,

Honestly Im not sure if this is "true" Montessouri or not. Im actually going to observe the class tomorrow at 9:30 AM so hopefully Ill get a better idea. (You have to observe before your child can go).

Ill let you know how it goes!
Old 02-05-2004, 01:46 PM

Hi There Ladies!

Thank you all for the encouragement and support. Following my last ridiculous and amusing post I realized that I was in need of a mental health day.
So I spent the whole day at home yesterday in my jammies and it was awesome! I actually had meaningfull conversations with my husband, helped organize our finances and got some housework done.
i felt bad about taking the day off, but decided it just needed to happen. Felt like i finally had the head space in which to really think about some important things, like where we are gonna live when the baby is born and how long i need to stay at work and how in the world do we get my husband through the last semester of school that he needs in order to be a teacher. (My job provides his tuition) Yikes! lots of figure out!

Well we didn't come up with answers, but at least had meaningfull heart to heart talks about these pressing issues. It seems like i am consistently too tired by time i get home to even think coherently.

Feeling pretty good today, eating well and enjoying my cute little tummy. I think I am beginning to show and am amazed by how quickly by body is changing! (I hope i'm not having TWINS!) Am already wearing some maternity clothes, mostly cause it is so much more comfortable than my regular stuff. Have had to remove a bunch of clothes from my closet that isn't gonna fit on my body for a long time. (If ever)

Ah well work beckons, I must go sort some mail.

Love and kisses for all

Anna

Anna Banana ~5 year old daughter ~3 year old son one angel baby and expecting July 2010
Old 02-05-2004, 02:08 PM

Wow, you're showing already with a first baby!!
How far along are you, you aren't on the due date list?
My meeting went alright yesterday but I got in an argument with a woman who has bothered me for ages. She's very sweet (sickening so) but (and this is in no way an insult to teachers) as a former teacher, she speaks and treats us all like 3rd graders. I was giving some instruction on how to do a 5 min presentation on your business, this is a group of 54 small business owners, all women. She tells me I should have told them all to keep their hands in their pockets the entire talk so they didn't look nervous--that's great but 2 things--#1, I see someone addressing a large group with their hands in their pockets and I assume they are insecure, #2, what the *&#% are you supposed to do if you don't happen to be wearing pockets???? These are supposed to be smart powerful women and I personally would not take kindly to being told I should speak with my hands in my pockets. In the end I told her I had a mother who drove me plenty crazy and I didn't need to hear advice from her. Also that I get paid to speak to very large groups often and that I thought I was quite capable of providing tips on giving an efficient 5 min presentation!!!
Alright my rant is over. I'm having trouble eating any protein, I'm not nauseated, just it does NOTHING for me. I'm going to try some egg salad for lunch, it tasted VERY good last time I had it.
How's everyone else doing???
Old 02-05-2004, 02:11 PM

Hi I'd like to be added to the due date list. My dd Celestia Soleil will be 2 on Sept. 29th (her due date was Sept. 14) and our newest addition is expected to arrive on Sept. 16, 2004! They will both have been born at the Hospital.

My first birth was not a great experience, I hope this time is better! I am feeling very, very sick, all the time. I thought pregnancy would be as great as it was with my dd. I had slight morning sickness with her but this time its nonstop all day sickness! Nothing sounds good and when I do eat something, I feel so nausea and sometimes I vomit other times I just feel sick all day. The tired factor is also unbelievable! I can wake up from a 8-10 hour sleep and be dead tired 2 hours later! I don't feel like getting up, doing anything or going anywhere! I hope this will soon pass!! Also I don't remember having to pee all through the night this early, but this time that's nonstop also. I had an ultrasound last Friday, the Doctor asked me if I had any bleeding. I hadn't so I told her no, she said because she saw where another baby had tried to implant, but turned out to be a miscarriage. However the other one has a very healthy heartbeat! She said the other one will just dissolve. So that was a little disappointing. We are happy though we have a healthy growing baby in there!
Old 02-05-2004, 03:13 PM

Yes! I really am showing already. I have never been a little tiny thing never really fat but short, and meaty with strong arms. my breasts and tummy are protruding.

If I am right about the date of conception, we got pregnant right before christmas. The funny thing being that while we were out X-mas shopping i turned to my husband with tears in my eyes and said "You know what I really want for Christmas?" He looked at me for a minute and then said "Jonathan or Amber?" We both laughed and said, maybe next year. Well, I guess I ended up getting what i asked for, but boy I sure didn't know what I was really asking for.

So anyway If our calculations are correct, our due date is on the 14th of September. So This Saturday I will be 2 months along (from conception) however, I feel like i am bigger than the books I've read lead me to think, I would be at this stage. And, you know that song,"Hey, hey we're the monkeys....' Well I keep getting it stuck in my head, especially that line about how "we're the next generation." And then i get this feeling... like Oh no, not two!

We are interested in a mid wife assisted homebirth, however insurance coverage is an issue, especially considering that I am the primary provider currently as my husband is still finishing school. so, i'm waiting to see how the family practioner, i was assigned strikes me. My first real appointment isn't untill the 20th. So, we'll see.

gotta go

love and kisses
anna

Anna Banana ~5 year old daughter ~3 year old son one angel baby and expecting July 2010
Old 02-05-2004, 03:36 PM

Welcome, new sept. mommies! Wow, there are so many of us. December and January must have been "busy" months.

Sarah--Sujaya is a beautiful name. I don't think I've heard it before, either. I'll have to look up the meaning and possibly add it to our list.

Well, I'm 6 weeks today and the queasies are starting--still fairly mild, though. I'm starting to have that get-full-fast thing, feeling slightly sick after eating, but quickly hungry again but not much sounds good, and things that were good earlier in the day don't sound good anymore. With my last pregnancy, I ate lots of Taco Bell 7 layer burritos in my first trimester, though--they tasted good to me when nothing else did. Yesterday I craved plain pasta with butter and salt, so I made some it sat really well. Last night I woke up starving/queasy and had a poached egg on toast, which tasted great.

DD is still nursing like crazy. I still don't have any soreness--don't remember when that started when I nursed ds through pregnancy with dd. I have a friend who kept her milk all through her pregnancy, nursing her first ds. I think that's really rare, though.

I noticed I'm not on the due date list and would love to be added. Due Sept. 30--which I think makes me the last mama due in sept, although I may well go early-ds was about a week early, maybe more (not sure of dates) and dd was 4 weeks early.

Take care, everyone!
Heather
Old 02-05-2004, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Ill update the list as soon as the baby goes to sleep and I have a few minutes on the computer.
Old 02-05-2004, 06:48 PM

Welcome Juanita!

Anna, I can't believe you are showing! Twins does come to mind, but for your sake hopefully its just a fast grower!

Can anyone else feel their uterus all the time? I feel like I must have super nerve endings in there and I can feel every bit of growth, its weird. I have heard somewhere that some women are more sensitive than others. I'm wondering if that means you feel movement sooner too (I hope!)?

I have a pretty poor time of sleeping, I have a hard time falling asleep at first, am up constantly to pee, can't always get comfortable and only sometimes do I fall right back asleep. Ugh! I have been fortunate enough to get a nap most days, but it still sucks!

I feel for you all with the playgroups and such, not that I ever have, but I sometimes feel over-the-top-crunchy here, so I can't imagine what kind of a freak parent people IRL will think I am.

-Sheryl

Mama to DD 8 blahblah.gif and  3rdtri.gif EDD 5/21/13 joy.gif

Old 02-05-2004, 07:21 PM

Thanks, Lynsey--whenever you get the chance, no rush.
Old 02-05-2004, 08:37 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Hello ladies!
Anna~ That's cool that you're showing already.

I bought some baby things yesterday.
Some gowns, socks, and a wool blanket bag thing.
Got to love the thrift store.

Still feeling blah.
Has anyone else lost their want or drive to have sex?
Lately its just not happened. I'm either to sick or tired or just not in the mood. I do plan on trying to tonight. Part of me doesn't want to go long times without, another part says just don't worry about it right now. I don't know. I have been having a lot of "wet "dreams lately.

Have my first prenatal tomorrow!

Hope everyone has a good evening.
Old 02-05-2004, 08:42 PM

Ugh. Sex???? Ewwwww....

Unfortunatly for my husband, I feel the same way. I want to do it, but I can't seem to get the energy for it. I "offered" it to him last night, but he said he didn't want a "pity_____". So, he got nothing. I really wanted to try tonight too, he has been so understanding thistime around, but I am exhausted. I was supposed to go the grocery today, I didn't. I was supposed to do laundry..I didn't. I did play Winnie the Pooh Memory. Big day!!

How is everyone else?

Caroline
Old 02-05-2004, 09:01 PM

Really recently the hubby and I have been more sexually active again. I have also been having very erotic dreams and found that when I first woke up aroused if I immediately seduced the sleepy guy, things went great!
Actually the first big orgasm was soooooo awesome because it was the first time in like a month that i felt GOOD. not simply, not sick, but REALLY GOOD! I cried afterwards and we both laughed at how strongly I reacted to my orgasm.

I had worried that the activity would make me want to barf, but instead it quelled my nausea for like an hour or so. So, I say give sex a try! Maybe it is the secret cure for nausea. (wouldn't they just love that!)

love and kisses
Anna

User Tag List