September Mommies - Feb. thread! - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-13-2004, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks to all for the warm welcome!

Chrissy, I wanted to ask you about cloth diapering. Ideally, I would like to use cloth but, every time I mention it, people start to groan and tell me that I'll go to plastic diapers eventually. Did you have that experience and is it really THAT hard? And I visited another site that said cloth diapering is just as hard on the environment because of all of the water usage it takes to launder them. Please let me know your thoughts. Thoughts from anyone else are welcome, too.

Also, does anyone have any thoughts on flaxseed oil? I don't eat meat or fish so I did some reasearch and found that flaxseed oil can provide me with omega-3 fatty acids. My doctors office said it was fine but I'd like to know if anyone else has heard otherwise.

And to Shannon, my thoughts are with you. I lost my first baby a year ago. It was early in my pregnancy but not a MINUTE goes by that I don't have a fear of losing this one. I hope you have a great network of family and friends for support.

Take care, everyone!
Love,
Kim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2004, 01:58 PM

Cloth diapering is great! I love it. I'm pregnant with our 7th baby, and this will be the 7th baby to be cloth diapered. I've become more and more committed to it over time.It's not hard. There is some work involved, yes (washing and drying, etc.), but I'd rather do that than drag a bag of garbage to the curb. I find it a pleasure.
Old 02-13-2004, 02:18 PM

I love cloth diapering, and I'm a real believer in doing it as cheaply as possible. I think that sometimes people get carried away with buying the cute and fancy ones (which would be easy to do). We just slap a prefold inside an inexpensive cover (no pins) and use a wool cover at night. I have been using Pull-ups for ds (19 months) when we go out, because he wets so often that the amount of diaper changes just while at the mall were getting ridiculous. He is also regularly starting to tell us when he has to go potty, which I attribute to the cloth diapers and a wonderful book called "Potty Training Your Baby".
Old 02-13-2004, 02:29 PM

Shannon, its wonderful to hear from you. I'm glad things went smooth and you found a great doc. I will be thinking of you in your journey ahead, you will figure out what you need to and get to the other side.

Welcome Kim! Glad to have you aboard!

On cloth diapers, I haven't done it yet as this is my first, but I am very committed to it and hoping to never have a plastic dipe on my baby's bum. I don't buy the environmental argument, the pollution produced by manufacturing all of the plastic, paper, gel and what-ever-the-hell-else is in there, far outweighs that of extra water use (a RENEWABLE resource, by the way) and nothing goes to landfills. Not to mention packaging, and impact of transportation of disposables to the store and then to your home, how many times during your baby's life? Purchase of cds occurs far less (even for hyenas), which reduces the impact of transportation, then consider the transportation of trash. Nobody's landfill is in their backyard, so there's more money and pollution spent to simply dispose of these. CDs will get shipped to you once, and when you are done, will be shipped to someone else for resale, or reused by a friend or recycled as rags in your own home. No trash. Sure, using all of that water for washing does have am impact, but the water gets cleaned and recycled, the by-product is very, very small when you compare the two. We don't clean the air that gets polluted by the manufacture and transportation of disposables, and nothing about the dipes themselves is recyclable. OK, you've outed my passionate environmentalist side, sorry for the book. This is a subject close to my heart.

On it being hard, I couldn't tell ya for sure, but I use cloth menstrual pads, and I find it much easier to throw in some laundry than drive to the store. Where I live it takes about the same amount of time and I can get other things done while the laundry is washing (and its free!).

Oh wait, one more thing, we don't really know the health impacts of the gel and chemicals that are put into disposables. That's another can of worms, so I'll just say that.

Visit the diapering board, there's more wisdom there than you can find most anywhere.

-Sheryl

Mama to DD 8 blahblah.gif and  3rdtri.gif EDD 5/21/13 joy.gif

Old 02-13-2004, 03:02 PM

To add on something about disposables, there is one brand of pull-ups that we tried that simply REEKS of petroleum by-products. My pregnant nose could smell them 5 feet away from ds.
Old 02-13-2004, 03:23 PM

Yeah, I think I'm pretty much sold on the idea of cloth. I knew the water argument was weak, anyway. If anyone has tips or brands to reccomend, it would certainly be helpful. I know it's early but I'll have enough to worry about once the baby arrives!

Thanks!
Kim

edd - early sept '04 , already mother to 3 dogs : , 3 cats :, and wife to Ram
Old 02-13-2004, 03:33 PM

I use diaper service quality prefolds and Bummi's Super Whisper Wraps. I also love the Aristocrats Wool Soakers for night, and although they are expensive ($20) you only need one or two as they can go for quite some time without washing. I learned the hard way that all you have to do to get stains out is hang the diapers in the sun (you wouldn't believe the messes this gets out) and that I didn't have to use pins and could just lay the diaper inside the cover. DUH!!!!
Old 02-13-2004, 04:35 PM

Hey all, I only have a minute...just wanted to jump in..

This is my fourth baby, so I know the diaper thing also! I have used disposables, the chemicals are DISGUSTING. I would NEVER EVER put a disposable on a girl...and am not likely to use them for a boy. With a girl, and the open vaginal canal, the chemicals creep up there. Some children will not be bothered...my oldest daughter was. She had awful raging infections that we couldn't figure out, her bladder muscle was weakend and she still has trouble staying dry. After much research (which I will see if I have saved) I found that she matched what is a reaction to the diaper. I had the same issues as her as a kid, I wonder if I had the same thing.

You do need a good washing machine, we bought a new front loader pretty much so I could wash the diapers well....

Anyway, gotta run...

Caroline
Old 02-13-2004, 04:42 PM

I absolutely love using cloth! I got all those same comments you are getting when I was pregnant with Noah, "why would you want to do that?" "you'll hate it!" "i'm sure you won't stick with it." blah, blah, blah. why are some people so rude?! anyway, i decided to use disposables for the "first week," which turned into the first 8 months or so. this time i will definitely use cloth for the first diaper and i can't wait. somebody recommended the diapering board here at mdc and i totally agree. there is so much information there. especially look in the archives and the other stuff at the top of the board. i think cloth will almost always be cheaper than disposables, but there is a huge variation is just how much cheaper. you can do prefolds (~$24/dozen) and proraps (~$6/each or cheaper if you get seconds or used) for really really cheap. or on the other end of the spectrum you could use all fancy fitteds for $15+/diaper and wool covers for $20+/cover. or you could do a combination. i use a combination. for the new baby i have a bunch of infant prefolds and snappi's (works like pins but much easier) and also some fitteds. i prefer to use breathable covers so i am planning to use mostly wool covers with a few fleece. i could go on and on, but i'll spare you all. i'm happy to answer any other questions you have though. i think you will really love using cloth if you give it a try!

Steph, my midwife said she could feel my uterus but i'm not sure i can. :

So I woke up this morning feeling almost normal, then I started freaking out and thinking I was going to miscarry. Then I started feeling really gross again so that made me happy. Silly silly first trimester pregnant lady!

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
Old 02-13-2004, 08:43 PM

We, too, are committed to using cloth diapers. We have a front-loading washer which uses very little water. I'm anticipating hand-me-downs from recent mamas at school (at least one cloth diapered, I know). There are also ALWAYS bargains on diapers and wraps on eBay. A friend of mine used a diaper service and was very pleased with it.

If you want some nice random stats on cloth vs disposables, as well as a beginner's guide to cloth diapering and a good FAQ, try http://www.earthbaby.com . They also sell a laundry detergent that is supposed to be very good for cloth diapers. We use it just in general and like it a lot.

A story to give you faith that YES! you can cloth diaper in all situations:

Jo's best friend from college, Becky, was raised by a total granola mom in rural Michigan. When Becky was a baby, her family went on a fishing/camping trip to Canada. On the way back into the USA, the border guard saw a big black plastic bag in the trunk and asked what was in it. "Dirty cloth diapers", her mom said. The border guard didn't believe them and proceeded to inspect the bag by shoving his whole arm into it. He removed it to find it covered in lovely breastfed baby poo!

I've even seen a book about family camping where they *recommend* cloth diapering - you can just hang wet ones up to dry and re-use them, and if necessary, you can clean the soiled ones with biodegradable laundry soap you bring along. Much easier than constantly finding garbage cans to leave your dirty disposables.

My friend Jenelle says: trick your mind into believing that there really is no other way to cover your baby's butt, and it's a snap.

I'm so happy it's FRIDAY...

Happy Valentine's Day!

Jen

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
Old 02-13-2004, 10:29 PM

Just chiming in on the cloth diapering thing...

I've cloth diapered 2 babies now--still doing the older one part time, and dd all the time, and it's been great, simple, and a huge money saver. I like saving LOTS, so I, like many of the other mamas in this thread, use prefolds, either laid in an inexpensive wrap, or snappi'd with pull-on covers (I love the Bummis whisper pants, at 5 bucks each, or the babysrus brand of nylon taffeta pull ons at 4 bucks a two pack, plus others really cheap on ebay--nylon covers are very lightweight, less bulky, seem more breathable). We had a diaper service for 6 months or so with ds--not really cheaper than disposables, but very convenient. With dd, I had trouble finding covers that worked and had to resort to disposables for a bit, and she was early (5lbs. 11oz.) so infant sized were huge on her. I'm going to start with preemie prefolds this time, with newborn covers. Apparently these fit up to 10 lbs or so, and they're only a dollar each.

I'm so used to washing diapers that it's just no big deal--way better than getting two (much less three!) little ones in the car and going in the store when they run out at bedtime. If I run out of cloth I grab a dishtowel or something similar until dipes are clean. I actually washed at a laundromat for almost a year before we bought our house. Having our own machines was such a huge luxury!

By the way, welcome Kim, and bluviolet too! Kim, sounds like you're feeling pretty good about cloth, so I'm not trying to convince you of anything, just joining the cloth diaper lovefest!

Heather
Old 02-14-2004, 01:28 PM

Hit some consignment shops too, the one near me has lots and the girl told me it's because some women get them as shower gifts but don't ever use them--which means they are usually the cute more expensive ones! I got a whole batch of Kissaluvs for $25.00 for 10 dipes.
Old 02-14-2004, 02:16 PM

Happy Valentines Day! Hope you are all having a lovey-dovey day with your honeys!

I made it to 11 weeks, yahoo!! I am going to call my midwife on Monday and make my first appointment. I want her to feel my uterus, I have been feeling around and don't really know what I'm feeling. But I know she knows....

Have a great weekend!

-Sheryl

Old 02-14-2004, 03:45 PM

Can someone tell me why my cat insists on no longer jumping up on the bed and then walking on me, but rather jumps up directly on me and lands either square on my uterus or my nipple?! I swear, that cat is getting good at levitating, I've been scaring her so much with yelps. Maybe one of these days, she'll learn!

Our highly romantic Valentine's Day plans: to buy a new toaster! :LOL

Went out to eat last night and I had a great salad with grilled chicken on the top; it took a lot of will power to stop eating it after 1/3 of the way through but I knew i would regret it if I didn't. It was so tasty though!! Oh well, I've got meals for the next 3 days now at least.

11 weeks, 3 days... almost there.

j

Old 02-14-2004, 07:12 PM

Hooray for good partners: not only did Jo go out and buy a new toaster, but she brought me back a strawberry smoothie and animal crackers from the co-op, along with the items that I actually requested! And she HATES going to the co-op!

I made the poor girl go to the co-op to buy me some probiotics. I read some scary things today about constipation and what it does to your colon, and it's no wonder to me now that I've been having such horrible digestive problems. I think my intestines have gone into crisis mode! So I'm hoping that some probiotics will help it normalize itself. If I weren't pregnant, i'd do a clear liquid diet for 10 days, too.

Still in pjs and bed (but doing work at laptop),

j

Old 02-14-2004, 09:20 PM

Hey all. I am celbrating Valentines Day by babysitting my friends son so they can go out. My dh is working, so we are going out during the week. I am having stomach pains today, I guess like gas....

Jen, I am happy you got your toaster! Now you can go back to the frozen waffles! I want to go out to eat so badly....I dream of all the food I am going to order. Of course I will probably take one bite and not want anything!!

Shannon, how are you holding up? Did you guys plan for some relaxation this weekend?

Adventuregirl, congrats on the 11 week mark. I know how that feels!

Hope everyone is having a nice romantic night!

Caroline
Old 02-14-2004, 09:33 PM

Oh sheesh, Caroline, you would not have believed me last night... we went to Chili's and my favorite food at chili's are the battered, deep-fried chicken crispers and french fries... crap, just thinking about them now is making me salivate and every time a serving of chicken crispers went by, I watched it... longingly... sigh... and of course Jo got chicken fajitas, so I couldn't pinch one of her fries!! Totally bad for me, I know, but I've got a really soft spot in my heart (and on my hips!!!) for fried food.

I really gotta stand up. I've got 1.5 classes left to go, but I've been in the same position for the past 3 hours. The sun has gone down and the icicle has stopped melting...

xo, j

Old 02-14-2004, 10:19 PM

Jo, I am salivating over muscels. Yes, the nasty seafood that I havn't eaten in YEARS!!!!!!! I dream about them. I LONG for them. That and stuffed shells.

It is so funny what I crave...nothing really healthy at all. I made my own mac and cheese tonight, the kids liked it more then I did. And I made the Whole Foods 365 brand Chicken taquitos. Again, I couldn't touch them, but the kids ate them!! I tried some peas...yuck.

I have to go food shopping, but I can't figure out what I would eat!!!!

Caroline
Old 02-14-2004, 10:36 PM

Hello!

Jen, glad to hear I'm not the only one who is wanting bad food. My co-workers always get carry out on Fridays and I was soooo tempted to have them bring me back an order of fries-luckily I controlled myself. Had some yogurt and granola instead. I am looking forward to when I want salads and veggies again-right now I can only eat them if they're hidden.

Congrats adventuregirl on 11 weeks!

I went to my midwife on Tuesday-so great to see her again!! I talked to her about going to an ob through kaiser to get an u/s and my bloodwork done. Mentally, I have a hard time everyday wondering if I'm pregnant or not. I didn't really have any nausea this pregnancy, only a few food adversions or a little quesiness if I don't eat for awhile. Plus, my breasts aren't really that sore. Sooo, I think I may get an u/s in a couple of weeks instead of waiting to do the doppler thing. I don't know, such a hard decision.

My co-worker (who is due next month) was reading the post about the chemicals in disposables-she said they are harmless. I wish I had some solid info to give her. Anyone have any???
Dh isn't too thrilled about cloth diapering but I keep telling him he'll get used to it.
Old 02-14-2004, 11:04 PM

I am obligated to cite the page http://www.earthbaby.com/diaperfaq.html so that they get credit for this! Go visit their site!!! They're a great company!

It takes one cup of crude oil to make just one disposable diaper.

Did you know?The skin temperature of a baby in a disposable diaper can heat up to 104 degrees in less than a hour.

The average disposable wearing baby will create two tons of bio-hazardous waste that will sit in a landfill for hundreds of years.

Disposable diapers add artificial chemical absorbents such as acrylic acid polymer salts to their all wood pulp padding in order to increase absorbency. These granules turn into gel when they come in contact with moisture. This gel, which is linked to toxic shock syndrome, ends up on your baby.

Cloth-bottomed babies potty train and average of a year earlier than their disposable wearing peers.

$$$$$ The average cost of disposables was estimated recently in Consumer Reports as being between $1500 and $2100!!! Cloth is a small fraction of that, and our top quality diapers and covers will probably last through all of baby's future siblings, and can be passed on to friends and family.

The production of disposable diapers consumes an inordinate amount of resources and energy adding 2.8 billion tons of urine, feces, plastic and paper to landfills annually. Besides filling dwindling landfill space, disposable diapers endanger health and the environment, especially the health of sanitation workers. The potential for disease to spread via ground water has also been cited.

Disposables are the third largest source of solid waste.

Babies in cloth have about a 7% incidence of diaper rash. For babies in disposables the rate is 78%!

It takes a billion trees every year to produce disposable diapers for the Earths' children.

Cloth Diapers smell better! Disposable diapers get very stinky after a day or two, we think you'll agree, even after a few days in the diaper pail, used cloth diapers and wipes don't really smell that bad at all!

Your baby will spend the first two to three years of life almost constantly in diapers. Do you want to spend the next two or three years wearing wood pulp, plastic and acrylic acid polymer salts. Don't you think cotton would be nicer? We sure do!

---

Contemplating dinner and trying to figure out just where the HECK I put that loaf of bread (honest, I put it in the fridge, and now it's gone, just disappeared!),

jen

ps: caroline: crying cockles and mussles, alive, alive-o....

Old 02-14-2004, 11:06 PM

misspell: mussels. sorry. fingers working too fast.

Old 02-15-2004, 01:29 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Glad everyone seems to be doing ok.

We had a great Valentines day. We went bowling and ate out at a few places. Ended up cheaper than usual cause I got small stuff.
Went to Target and looked at baby stuff. Dh is acually noticing babies and pointing them out to me,"Oh look at that little girl.", "Here comes one, oh check out the hat.":LOL It was so sweet, I think he's starting to get baby fever.

There were some things that went wrong yesterday, like throwing up for the first time since becoming pregnant(Glad I was at home). Dh is losing pieces of one of his teeth.
But overall a wonderful day.

8wks4days and counting.
Hope everyone has a good Sunday!
Old 02-15-2004, 01:39 PM

Jodie, that sounds nice! Well, not the throwing up part! I have been able to hold off on looking at baby things, I am waiting until we find out the sex.

I just realized I am 11 weeks...wow. So as of next week I should not be sick anymore. Ok, tell my body that!!

Hope you all are well, we are going to a bday party today for a friends 1 year old...

Caroline
Old 02-15-2004, 02:47 PM

Jen, great post! Thanks for sharing.

Woo-hoo, ladies, we are slowly appraoching the second trimester! One by one, we will all be getting there soon! I have heard a few different ways to count the second tri, ranging from 12 to 14 weeks. How do you count it?

I got to hold a 3 month old baby last night, it was so great! He was sooooo... freakin cute! Fell asleep in my arms, made me all dreamy.

Jodie, my dh is that way too. Last night after hanging with some friends and their kids, we got home and he was saying how cute they all are and how he loves them. So cute! And he even shows interest in Mothering mag and the random baby catalogs that have been showing up at our place.

Fried foods sound fabulous to me too, mmmmm.....

-Sheryl

Old 02-15-2004, 04:21 PM

Well, if pregnancy is nine full months, then I would think that the first trimester would start at the end of the third full month. The beginning of the fourth. Which would be....13 weeks. At the end of twelve weeks....beginning of 13th??

I have no idea. Whatever it is, it is getting closer!!

Caroline
Old 02-15-2004, 04:47 PM

Haha, count on the nerd to know the exact timing of trimesters did you know I'm a nerd?

Pregnancy is 40 weeks including the 2 weeks before conception, some say that's technically your last menstrual period but how many of us really have 28-day cycles? I know I don't. So it's 38 weeks post-conception. That comes out to 13-1/3 weeks from LMP or 11-1/3 weeks post-conception being the end of the 1st trimester. 1/3 of a week is is 2 and 1/3 days. 1/3 of a day is 8 hours. If you're going from midnight, that's 8 AM. What that all boils down to is: the end of the first trimester is the morning of the 3rd day of your 14th week.

So I'm hoping to get up on leap day and leap for joy! That's the first day of my 2nd tri. Lord, I hope I feel better by then...

xo, jen

ps: Jodie: is you son of tooth-losing age?

Old 02-15-2004, 05:50 PM

Thanks Jen for the diaper info. And your 2nd trimester calculations
Old 02-15-2004, 10:24 PM

Okay, I did it. I went to ebay and checked out the infant lots. Of course, if I have another girl, I won't need anything. But I don't have any more of my sons stuff, so if it is a boy I have shopping to do!!!!

I did buy a really cute maternity jumper for a grand total of $9, that is with shipping! I have never been a huge ebay person, but I have friends who buy everything there. YOu can really get some good deals!!

Caroline
Old 02-16-2004, 02:24 AM

I bought two summer maternity lots - size xl - for a grand total of $27 (incl shipping). I got a pair of shorts, 2 pair of pants, 4 shirts, a sleeveless sweater and a swimsuit. Not bad eh!

I love eBay!! I have had nothing but good experiences on eBay, knock on wood.

xo, j

Old 02-16-2004, 02:26 AM

Whoops, Jodie, that's your husband that's losing parts of a tooth! that's no good!

Sorry for my misread... seems I'm doing that a lot lately -

j

User Tag List