March Mamas! It's February! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 343 Old 02-06-2004, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Congratulations CherylE on your beautiful twin girls! You will be in my thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 343 Old 02-06-2004, 03:18 PM

Cheryl, lots of warm congratulations on the girls. They are precious. I hope lots of good healing things for all of you. I agree that you did a fantastic job keeping them in.

Jster, I am glad to hear you are safe and well in Florida and moving on with things. I hope you get your home comforts soon. Goodness knows we third trimester people need them. I hope your little girl is feeling better soon.

As far as third tri nausea goes, yep, got it. My doctor suggested it was a digestive issue and possibly she is right. My heartburn is just killer. I didn't remember it being so debilitating. I am laying awake 2-3 hours during the middle of the night every night now (not just the heartburn, not sure what) and it's driving me crazy. I have a toddler to look after during the day and a bunch of stuff to do and I hate wasting good sleeping time. I have a relaxation cd which helps, but honestly, I have trouble keeping still and getting comfy and half the time i just can't wait for it to finish and I'm still not sleepy.

Part of it is excitement I think. I don't get heaps of time during the day to think about the baby and I tend to do it then. Maybe it helps me get organized. I am starting to realize I am going to meet this little one soon.

Mama to 13, and 10 and 4.
#63 of 343 Old 02-06-2004, 06:28 PM

Cheryl,
What a relief it must be to know that those babies are healthy and safe. Congratulations!!

Oh, when I looked at that picture of Meribeth all I could think about was those doctors who advised you to "reduce"!

Tracy, doula and Army wife and homeschooling mama to A and E
#64 of 343 Old 02-06-2004, 07:58 PM

CONGRATS Cheryl on your 2 beautiful girls. Much to you and your family, you are a wonderful mama to be so dedicated to pumping for your little ones while recovering from the cesarian I hope you are all home together as soon as possible!!
#65 of 343 Old 02-07-2004, 02:22 PM

As far as heartburn is concerned...I think it's finally left me alone! After five months of making Tums my best friend, it is a very welcome respite! Dare I say that babe has started to drop? It does seem as if my belly button has migrated a bit south. As a first timer, I'm just not so sure. I hope it's not the antenatals that are making you sick bebeluna. Nausea now?! Now that's just not necessary.
My momma bought her ticket to come out for (hopefully) the birth. I'm due on the 6th and she'll be here the fourth till the 14th, so any vibes directed toward that window would be very appreciated. I've been talking to babe and letting them know my wishes but giving permission for any time they want (now that we're at the last stretch at least).

dancingirl: I really like Suwannee Mohana, think it flows real nice, great suggestion.

Jster- I totally comiserate with you. Not only did I move at seven months, across the country to the cold at that! but I also dealt with a breakup with the father early on. We weren't married with one child already, but as my mother said, "not a very ideal situation to be faced with."

And yes, everybody keep gestating and growing those babies strong and smart!

Dear hubby surf.gif, dd1 (8) dust.gif ds1 (5)hbac.gif and dd2 (NB) hbac.gif waterbirth.jpg

#66 of 343 Old 02-07-2004, 11:46 PM

I'm home now - I just got discharged this afternoon. I see someone already posted the link to my Dad's website - which is the place where all the updates have been going. News travels fast around the internet that's for sure!

In case people missed it in the earlier post - all the details on the birth and after are here:

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze7orc2/twins.htm

The girls are doing really well. I got to hold Megan yesterday and Maribeth today. They are o.k.'d to be transferred locally as they are doing so well - they are just waiting for beds in the local special care nusery to open up.

I'm doing much better - the epidural blood patch worked on the spinal headache but was simply awful - I got a resident who had to try multiple times to get the epidural in AND went into the spinal membrane by mistake the first time which meant I had to spend the next 12 hours laying flat on my back. I'll take natural childbirth anyday over C-sections or anything involving spinals or epidurals! The headache is at least mostly gone now and the spinal fluid should continue to regenerate over the next few days and it shoudl get even better. I'm really, really weak from bedrest and the blood loss. I'm just barely over the level where they would have given me a blood transfusion and am really dizzy - so I've got to work on getting my iron up . At least the kids are still in daycare for the rest of Feb - so I will have a chance to recover a bit from all of this.

single mama to 5 (12.5, 11, 10, and 8 year old twins)

#67 of 343 Old 02-08-2004, 12:10 AM

Cheryl, I'm so glad that you are home and that you're on the mend. Yay for your girls doing so well! That's wonderful. I'm sorry you had such suffering, especially when you didn't have to. Please, give yourself plenty of time to heal and recoup. Sending you lots of love and peace.

Heartburn -- I have some breyer's mint chocolate chip ice cream that reserved for myself and any heartburn symptoms I might have. Sometimes I pretent heartburn just for a bowl though! I haven't really had burn all that much, except for sometimes when I lie down. A little ice cream cures it for me.

Sleep problems -- Seems to come with the 3rd trimester. I've been using commercial Skullcap tincture (10 drops in lil water) to help get back to sleep when I can't do it myself. Then, if I'm still awake after 10 minutes, I take 10 more drops. Seems to work well for me. The MW I'm seeing is pretty versed in herbs and told me about it.

Gratefulmum -- sending you birth vibes geared for the 6th -14th. Hopefully, you'll deliver towards the beginning of her stay so you can baby hold while she cleans and cooks. She knows that's her job as mother of the mother, right?

Bebeluna -- I hear you on wanting an anterior baby. I want a properly positioned baby. Jude was posterior with his hand up when I pushed him out. I think it would be easier with a LOA baby with it's hands neatly folded. I'm doing the back stretches, too and making sure I don't ever recline. People keep wanting me to sit in Lazy Boys and I keep saying, NO! GIVE ME THE HARD FOLDING CHAIR, PLEASE!

My DH and I are headed to his parents tomorrow. I really don't want to go. I don't like people anymore and they're nice as far as people go. The only reason I'm still going is that on Monday friends of mine over there are going to give me a Belly Cast and a massage. Ahhh, that will be worth it... I think. Gosh, I hope they don't expect me to talk to them. I'm in my 3rd trimester cave. I don't want to come out and be social. Maybe I can just stay upstairs and e-mail them instead of talking to them?!?!

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#68 of 343 Old 02-08-2004, 01:18 AM

Glad to hear about the third trimester cave Spark. My friend keeps trying to introduce me to people and get me to go out and learn the town and I've felt like such an antisocial jerk everytime. Spent her birthday party sitting on a high stool by people's coats and sipping on cranberry juice. It's like any knack I might have had for small talk virtually got drained when I saw those two telling lines
That's it! I'm hiding in my room and knitting definitely until it's time to go to the birthing center... maybe even until winters over. What's that Puxatawny Phil? Six more weeks?

Dear hubby surf.gif, dd1 (8) dust.gif ds1 (5)hbac.gif and dd2 (NB) hbac.gif waterbirth.jpg

#69 of 343 Old 02-08-2004, 01:22 AM

I just want to go to bed and sleep till I am in labor....
Especialy today. I am so irritated, distracted, cant get anything done, and dont want to eat. Nothing sounds good.
And been feeling crampy down low today.

Uggghhhhhhhh.

Glad to see you Cheryl, hope you heal fast!
#70 of 343 Old 02-08-2004, 01:40 AM

Boy Boobiemama, I could have written your post.:LOL
Although I did accept an invite to meet a friend for coffee tomorrow morning and am actually looking forward to it. However, I have stopped answering the phone altogether. My old anthropology prof. has called twice to invite Dh and I to his b-day party and I was here both times but didn't pick up the phone. Anyother time I would have done a dive from the other side of the room to pick it up and talk to him, especially since we haven't seen him for ages. I'm such a jerk. And I haven't even e-mailed him to tell him we'd come. I'd have to leave my cave to attend right?
I wish it was just an accepted part of our culture that preggo women go into a self-imposed seclusion towards the end of their pregnancy, instead of us being seen as rude introverted jerks.
#71 of 343 Old 02-08-2004, 03:23 AM

"Rude introverted jerks..." that will awaken suddenly upon birth of child and need food, house cleaning and attentive love to be showered upon us otherwise we'll plunge deep into despair because... WHERE ARE ALL OUR FRIENDS?!?!?!

(Just thought I'd add that. It is funny, I tend to cave dwell for the later part of pregnancy, but then NEED the company a week after birth that I once pushed away. Gosh, maybe pregnant women are cats -- doing that hold me/put me down routine!)

#72 of 343 Old 02-08-2004, 02:11 PM

Congrats Cheryl!!!

I am so glad your gilrs are doing so well and that you are home safe and sound!

I am tired and feeling huge. I feel like there is so much for me to get done before baby comes but I don't want to do anything. Five weeks sounds like an eternity!

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
#73 of 343 Old 02-08-2004, 07:28 PM

Cheryl, Big congrats to you and your family!!! The girls are just adorable. I hope the headache gets better soon. That is my biggest fear with an epidural. Perhaps why I choose natural childbirth. Of course, a c/section without one might be a bit tough.:LOL

I've been absent as of late. Sitting in front of the computer for any period of time is exceptionally painful, especially where the ligaments have torn in front and back. I live with the heating pad as my best friend.: Sleep is pretty much a thing of the past. I just keep thinking "five more weeks, five more weeks." Then I start to think that it could actually be seven weeks and that really bums me out. Of course it could be three weeks, that would be nice. I'm not holding my breath.

I talked to my mom again last night. She is such a confused woman. They (she and stepdad) moved to Florida a couple years ago, and now when the come back up to Iowa, they don't have anyplace to stay. When I had the boys they were still living up here and could come and visit just for the day because they lived an hour and a half away. Unfortunately, that isn't the case anymore. She has it in her head that they can stay at our place. Ummm, not!!! They are not the type of people who will come and "help." She wants to come and hold the baby while I clean, cook, and wait on them. They are also very loud and get the boys really wound up. They aren't terribly respectful of other people and their lives, and after about two days of them being here, both my boys start asking when grandma and grandpa are leaving. Having them come stay really sounds like a joy, huh.

She also has it in her head that the doctor's have some magic power to be able to know when the baby is coming. I tried explaining last time I talked to her that the due date was just an estimate,and the average woman will deliver within two weeks before, or two weeks after the date. She just kept saying, well don't they have a test they can do to tell when the baby is coming? I think she is confused and is thinking of all the women who choose to be induced via pitocin and know ahead of time when they will deliver. I'm pretty sure that she would love it if I would do that so they could be here for the birth (Yikes!!! ) I thought I had explained everything to her, but last night she asked me again if the doctors thought that the 12th was still looking good. I just had to laugh and explain things all over again. I could go on and on about my mother, but by the time I finished giving you the full picture, we would all be reading this while nursing our babes.:

I've told her that we will email them pictures of the baby as soon as it's born, but she is still so upset that she won't be here. It's not as if she's in the labor room anyway (that's a whole other story: ). I keep telling her to wait to come up for a month or so, that newborns don't do anything anyway. I don't think it's going to work. It should be interesting when we tell them that they aren't staying at our place while they are here. That would send me into instant post partum depression. The annoying thing is that my mother thinks that it is "helping" when she comes and plops her rear on my couch to hold my baby for hours. I could do that. Then I'm left getting her and stepdad beverages, snacks, cooking dinner for them, vaccuming and cleaning after them. Just what any woman who has just given birth wants to do. It's just so much extra work having them here. Plus, then I feel like we (kids and I) can't go anywhere. We have to stay home and entertain the grandparents. Plus, they are cheap as cheap can be, so when I tell them we are meeting friends at the mall to play and have lunch, they hem and haw about how expensive it is for them to buy lunch there. Please, these people opted for early retierement and moved to a condo in florida. I don't have much sympathy.

Anyway, not that you wanted to hear me rant, but it makes me feel better to gripe for a while.

On a different note, I had my appt on Thursday and gained 5 pounds in two weeks!!! I was freaked out until I looked back at ds2's pg diary and saw that I gained five pounds in that same two week period with him. Then I leveled off and would gain and lose a pound here and there until delivery. I could tell I had gained weight, thought, when I couldn't see to pee in the cup.:LOL That's really not something you want to have to guess about. Now, I'm on weekly visits until delivery. I have my gbs test next Thursday. I tried the garlic regime mentioned in Mothering mag, but the kids couldn't handle my breath, and I couldn't handle the horrid heartburn that it caused, so I quit and I'll just see what happens.
#74 of 343 Old 02-08-2004, 08:00 PM

Oh, Cheryl! I'm glad you're home...here's hoping your beautiful little girls come home quickly, too! Thanks so much for letting us join you on your journey with them

Anybody else feel like they're carrying 15 lbs. of bricks in their belly? Seriously...the BH's are back, almost continually, and when that's going on and I try to do "normal" things (like walk), it feels like I'm trying to lug a load of bricks around in there. The last two days are been pretty uncomfortable, except when I'm lying down on my left side, and even then after about an hour the ol' hip starts to ache.

I feel bad complaining so much, but my family wonders why I'm so grumpy. Frankly, I've also been kinda short with our 20 m.o., too (which I regret, since he's been under the weather with the bronchitis he picked up from me ), but the combo of not sleeping, lots of BH's and trying to do my normal daily routine is killing me right now! I guess that's a sign I should start curtailing what's not absolutely necessary at this point, huh? :

On another note, my MW's best estimate as of this past Friday was that the baby is about 7 1/2 lbs. right now and will be around 9-9 1/2 if I go all the way to due date. Thankfully, I have quite a large pelvic outlet, so I'm hoping everything will go smoothly with our planned home birth : I also tested positive for GBS (blech), so I'm doing an intensive natural course of treatment this week and I'm planning to retest this coming Friday. If I'm still positive, I'm *considering* not doing the antibiotic drip during labor, only because the lab report stated that the culture was only marginally positive--so I suppose I'm not totally overrun with the beasties. Anyone have experience with this????
#75 of 343 Old 02-08-2004, 11:42 PM

Cheryl! Wow! You did it! What a rock-star!! Your dad's website said it would take you a year to regain your iron - not so!! I hemorraged 3 weeks post partum after dd was born and my already low iron disappeared. I started a course of chelated iron and my crit climbed faster than my mws thought possible in such a short time. You can get it at most health food stores, it's comparably priced and SOOOOOO much more absorbable, digestable and gentle than other formulations it's a wonder anyone takes the other crap at all. I prefer Sol-Gar's formula (brown bottle, yellowish label); it reads chelated iron or gentle iron. Considering what you've been through and what your family needs from you, do yourself a favor and check this stuff out. It's recommended for transplant patients too. Best of all, it's basically non-constipating so you won't need a can-opener for your butt in a month!!

Lisab - bummer about your test. My midwife - who is a real old school midwife who has dedicated her career to bringing midwifery to the masses (created the board of midwifery in NH so that midwives who aren't nurses can no longer be called 'lay', can be credentialed with insurance companies to deliver babes, etc.) has a lot of opinions about the drugs they give for this. PM me and I'll give you her coordinates if you want to get another opinion about the necessity, risk, etc. If my pg brain has not totally acteed up on me, I think she even told me that the antibiotice most often prescribed for this contains huge amounts of thimerosal, the stuff many believe is linked to autism. She said the mass marketing and change in protocal in favor of this antibiotic coincides with the increase in autism and she believes is a more plausible link than the smaller amounts of thimerosal found in vaccines (though that's not healthy either).

When I saw my mw on Weds last week, I'd gained 6lbs in two weeks. I sorta knew it, too. I have gained 50 lbs! Granted I'm 5'9", but yikes. I gained about 50 with dd, but started out a bit heavier with her, so I'll probably weigh in about the same on delivery day as when I delivered her. As for feeling like I have 15lb bowling ball or whatever it was suggested in my gutt; I feel like I have that plus two 12lb bowling balls for boobs!! Sleep is a memory, comfort is fleeting, snot is a constant. I have terrible pains in my cooch; not inside, but in the muscles in the outside part. It sucks. And next to nothing fits me properly; all I want to wear is my jammies or my overalls, but I have three more weeks of work to get through so jammies and overalls have to wait until night time.

Jish - your mom and step-dad sound sooooo hard to deal with. I would go absolutely nutso in your shoes. I didn't mind your rant at all; it actually made my pretty wacko mom seem very tolerable. I shouldn't really complain about her (though it's easy) b/c she just sent us an unsolicited $300 for dd's new toddler bed and a tandem stroller. She is also coming this weekend to lend a hand (and mostly she does, with direction) while my husband is off in the studio recording a new album . He's actually practicing in the next room, so I have some sultry jazz and his voice gently scatting in the background. OK, so life isn't all bad; I would just settle for the sweet jazz, help around the house and a baby in my arms instead of pinching my cooch!!:LOL

Jster - while I am glad you are in a loving place, I am sorry about the discomforts. I'm sure having your stuff will help ground you and Peri. Good luck with the search for mw and doula. As for not-so dh, he makes my blood boil - too much trouble to attend his baby's birth, it better not be too much trouble to pay his gd child support

Well, I'm off to bed. Happy gestating everyone!!
#76 of 343 Old 02-09-2004, 12:19 AM

I guess in a way its good thign I dont have family who act like they care too much. I would go crazy with butting in family!
I wanted my mom to come here when babe is born, but her work is sending her to Australia for 3 weeks, from Feb 20 - mar 12- uh, my due window!!

My turn to complain - I feel awful. I am having a ton of contrax, nothign painful,just noticeable, but I have horrible pressure in my butt, lots of crampiness, and pinching inside my you know what.
The baby is moving down low, and when it pushes, it almost feel like it is moving IN my vagina. Very weird feeling. We went to the mall for bit today, and just a short walk made me have more weird feelings in there.
I dont know what to think. I dont think I can possibly stand feeling like this all the way to March 3rd or beyond!
:

I was reading over my med records from my last babies. My son came at 37 w 5 d, thats 1 week from now. My hubby is betting I'll go within the next week or so. I dont know. I am on the verge of tears most of the time, not over anything in particular, I am just so frustrated with everything and feeling overwhelmed. I have sewing I have to finish, then I have taxes and my hubbys website on my to do list. And I am thinking I just need to get this stuff done then I can have a baby. And theres still taking care of the house and homeschooling my son.
UUGGGHHH, and most of the time I sit here in a daze just thinking of the things that should be done.

And I still need to pack a bag for the kids for when we go to the birth center. I dont know what to take for them though.
I got the baby bag packed, that was the fun part. Full of cute litle cloth diapers.
And I dont really need anything for myself, I think the last bag I packed sat in the cupboard the whole time.

Ok, my complaining over - time to get off my @ss and get something done.....
#77 of 343 Old 02-09-2004, 03:48 PM

Jish- my goodness! Maybe since you will be putting your foot down about them staying with you it will curtail their visit some. If they're cheap AND have to shell out for a hotel room maybe Florida will look more inviting sooner.
On having your mother in the deliver room...
I love my mother very much but, granting her visit falls within my birthing window, I'm not sure that I want her in the delivery room with me. I've spent the last month reading Ina May Gaskin's book and have embraced the idea that giving birth is an intimate act that borders on sensual and the only person I really want present is dp. There will be a laboring tub in the room and I plan on being sans clothing for most of, if not the entire time, and I don't see momma in that picture. Granted, she has had five natural deliveries herself, so she will most likely be very helpful. BUT, we're both kinda stubborn in the same way and I have a feeling, based on responses I've gotten throughout this preg that MY experience may well not be true for her if it isn't validated by one of HER experiences KWIM?
I know that this is MY birth and that my comfort level is what's most important...maybe I could have her around, but kick her out during transition/pushing. Who knows, maybe when the time comes none of these worries will matter. But how rude is it to request her presence be absent?
Thanks Ya'll

#78 of 343 Old 02-09-2004, 04:44 PM

I'm one of those people who doesn't like people around me when I'm sick or in pain. My poor dh is one of those fathers who just has to stand by and watch me labor. It probably looks like he couldn't care less, but he knows me enough to know to leave me alone and let me handle it. Even having the nurse in the room drives me loony.

I have managed to make my mother cry at least once during all of my pregnancies. The first time was when we were at the mall. We were in the bathroom and my mom said to me that she couldn't wait to see her first grandchild being born. I thought she was joking and busted out laughing. She just assumed that she had an invitation into the delivery room. I was speechless. I told her that we weren't even going to call anyone when I was in labor, that everyone would find out after the babe arrived. She found this so upsetting that she started crying in the bathroom.: Lovely, huh. Then when I was pregnant with the second she tried the guilt trip on me about how she has never actually seen a birth and really wanted to be in the delivery room. I told her that frankly, I had never seen a birth either since I don't use the mirror. I explained that I don't like people around me when I'm in labor and that it just wasn't what I wanted. I guess that was upsetting too.

I starting to see that in her eyes, I am the bad guy because dh and I aren't doing things to make my births the births SHE seems to think that they should be for HER to be happy. Of course, we are raising our children all wrong too.: I just don't understand why she seems to think that my births should follow her birthplan and be what she would consider the ideal situation as a grandmother. She used to be cool, then she met and married my stepdad (my dh and I have been together longer than they have) and she decided that she wanted to "mother" me again. She was never really much of a mother figure to begin with. So now, rather than respecting me as a 34 year old adult, she really wants to make her life what it wasn't when she was married to my father, and make me this young, naive, dutiful daughter that she can give advice to and guide through life. Ain't gonna happen. I have no guilt, I made my peace with my family situation long ago, I just resent being made out as the bad guy for focusing on the needs of MY family, meaning my dh and children. She just doesn't get it.

Anyway, rambling again.

My three year old had a major meltdown this morning right when it was time to leave to take my older ds to school. I had to carry the 35 pound flailing boy down the stairs and to the van. Then he managed to turn his attitude around after we took ds1 to school so we came home and danced and played. He wanted me to hold him while we dance so I could "dip" him. Loads of fun for him, but my crotch is paying the price for it now. I'm going to lay down for a bit before I have to pick up ds1 from school.

I'm finding that I'm really looking forward to getting this pregnancy over with, but the fact that in a few weeks there will be a new member to our family is still sort of surreal. Looking at the pictures of Cheryl's babies and thinking, "wow, the one inside me looks like that already" was a bit jolting. Actually, mine is probably closer to 7-7 1/2 pounds right now if I hold true to form. Yikes!
#79 of 343 Old 02-09-2004, 05:15 PM

Why oh why do people insist on us being sociable right now? I'm with all of you...I just want to hide in my house in my pj's. My mil insisted that I needed a birthday party for my 30th...I said, "um you do know I'll be full term that week right, and don't have any clothes that look decent, and am still barfing every day..." Needless to say I shot it down pretty quick but she STILL calls me every couple of days to ask if I'm not 'sure' I want a party. Anyway...13 working days until maternity leave, so hopefully I can make it without snapping an old persons' head off (did I mention that I'm the office manager for a group of 900+ senior adults, all of whom are childbirth/childrearing experts?).

Cheryl, congratulations on your beautiful daughters! I'm glad you have some time at home to rest without having to be an on the go mom 24/7. Please take care of yourself and check in when you can!

Spark :LOL on your heartburn remedy. It just sounds funny-I'm curing my heartburn with Haagen Daz!

Jish-your mom sounds like my MIL. This woman, who literally almost stopped speaking to me because I wouldn't let her FILM the birth, has taken 2 wks off of work to be 'on call' for the baby. Un huh. I know what that means, she gets to hold the baby until he needs to be fed or changed, and talk to me about how emotional and wonderful this time is, yadda yadda...all the while my house is going to pot b/c no one will clean it. I sympathize with ya, and there is just no good way to make them understand, cuz they don't get it!

My news:
My OB is starting to scare me...saying if baby doesn't turn by next week they will schedule a c/s! He's still transverse, which position he must really like cuz he's been there for 25+ wks...I don't know what I will do if chiro/acupuncture doesn't make him turn. I will be so devastated if I have to have a c/s with my first baby.

On that cheerful note, I will wish everyone a wonderful day.
#80 of 343 Old 02-09-2004, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Rachel- check out www.spinningbabies.com for ways to turn babies. I think there is stuff in there for transverse babes, but don't remember. I'll ask my midwife (she's one of the site's authors) tonight at our appt. Also, really look into chiropractic care. It's amazing what they can do to turn babies.

I was really worried about a transverse baby too, but now my little one seems to be ROP, isn't that great? Haha. My dd was ROP from early on and never changed position, but then, I didn't realize the significance if it. I've heard labor is so much easier without back labor. I was so looking forward to that. Maybe this babe will flip. That's what I keep telling myself.

Cheryl- I don't know if I've said it before, but congratulations on those babies! It sounds like things are looking good for you. My SIL bled a lot after her 2nd baby and they told her it would 6-8 months until her iron was normal, but she was back to normal at her 6 week checkup. I wonder if they tell you that to make sure you rest enough, or maybe it really does take some people that long to make it up. She also drank chlorophyl (plant stuff) right after. Don't know what that is supposed to do, but that's what her mw told her to take.

Jish- I made my mom cry this time. Last birth, it was me, dh, and my mom. This time, I hired a mw and asked my mom to take care of dd (in our house, so she'll be there, just not in the same way as last time). She said, "well what if Athena is sleeping, then what will I do?" and I said, "we'll figure it out." I also told her I had visions of wanting to be alone a lot, so she and our mw (they're friends) might have to chill in the living room away from us sometimes and she said, "but I'm such a birth junkie, I don't know how I'll handle that," to which I replied, "well, figure it out, because that's how I want my birth to go, and you don't get to make decisions for me." That's when she welled up. I didn't mean to sound snippy, but for someone who talks a great talk about respecting women's needs during birth, she was walking a fine line regarding respecting mine and it ticked me off.

And everytime I read about people and obnoxious mothers or MILs, I am THANKFUL that my MIL doesn't have the nerve to assume or ask to be involved. I can't stand her and if she made it stressful for me to think about her showing up, I might have to go into a homicidal rage. At least I have one thing to be thankful about regarding her.

Boobiemama- you have my sympathies. Hugs to you.

Here's to us! We've made it this far and aren't falling apart (mostly). Sure, some of us can't sleep, and some are having heartburn, and some are in near-constant pain, and some of us have all of those, but our babies are coming soon. This is getting exciting.

On the other hand, is anyone else having those "what the hell was I thinking have a baby?" thoughts? I was talking to a friend the other day and had that thought. What am I thinking? I'm just starting to really enjoy my dd's current age and activites and now I have to go back to newborn mama role? ack. This baby was planned planned planned (we wanted them about 3 years apart, just didn't think it would be down to the month- dd turns 3 on March 3), but even so, what was I thinking? It's just panic and it will go away.

Still don't have a girl name. I've starting worrying that it is a girl despite my absoluteness about it being a boy from day 1, just because we can't come up with a name. What do you think of Annalies Vivian? That's up there ("it's a good compromise" says dh. Who wants to compromise on their baby's name?)

R~mama to 3

#81 of 343 Old 02-09-2004, 07:25 PM

My sympathy to all of you with birth and Mom/MIL issues. I will happily be avoiding any problems of my Mom wanting to be at the birth because I haven't spoken to her since July. My IL's don't seem to give a damn one way or the other. In fact they probably won't even come for a visit, or if they do it will be months after the baby is born, instead we will be expected to make the treck to see them, 9 hours in a small old car with two kids and two huge dogs. Sorry, no f**king way am I doing that. It is after the birht that worries me with my Mom. I envision her showing up at my door uninvited and unwanted, making a huge tearful scene about seeing her grandchild, either that or it will happen when I visit my grandparents who live just down the street from her. She will look all victimish and pathetic, dive for me and hug me and cry and whine. UGH! I'm sure I may sound mean but there is very good reason I haven't spoken to her in so long. Ewww, I feel all yucky and grumpy just thinking about her.
#82 of 343 Old 02-09-2004, 11:55 PM

dnr-- I relate to your post. I've been feeling panicy as well, though this is our first totally consciously conceived baby. My kids play so well, are so independant....and now a new baby!! ANd I think I forgot what it's like....less sleep, the physical intensity of bouncing, changing, rocking, nursing....Don't get me wrong, I'm excited....but nervous as well. I think from what I remember, I always get this way at the end though.....through the heart of darkness, I guess. It's a different head space than the rest of pregnancy....

And also, we don't have a boy's name and I really feel that it's a boy. DH is *stuck* on one name and won't hardly discuss other ones....and i'm not using the ones he wants!! Ugh.

On a weird note, I was cleaning out the office today for getting ready for it to be a birthing room and found a journal entry from my bday in 2002.....saying I dreamed I was preg. w/my third and I thought it was a girl, but then in the later part of preg. thought it was a boy...and then in the dream I gave birth to a boy. Which is pretty much how this preg. has gone! I was convinced that this was a girl at first but soon had a bunch of dreams this preg. that it was a boy. So ESPECIALLY if it truly is a boy! I mean this was almost two years ago. Weird.

anyway! take care mamas.
#83 of 343 Old 02-10-2004, 02:57 AM

Rachel,
Run (hobble? waddle?) don't walk to the chiropractor for the Webster Technique. I had 4 sessions that I KNOW helped--on the 4th he didn't even adjust me because he said everything was in balance and he didn't want to mess with that. I agreed. Within days the baby started turning vertex at different times and now only turn back to transverse when I go to bed. This, after spending every minute of this pregnancy up til now transverse.

Definately check out sites about ways to turn the baby. However, this is what I decided recently. Most of the info I found was about turning breech babies and I think it might be different (just a theory I'm working on). I think you should also REALLY listen to your body an see what works for YOU, even if it is not what those sites say. Example: they give a picture of a good postion to sleep in to give the baby plenty of room to turn. I slept like that from the beginning of my pregnancy (coincidence--didn't know the baby was going to NEED turning). I came to decide about a month ago that I think sleeping that way was actually contributing to the problem (I'll explain it if you need me to). Also, so much about turning the baby is about creating more space in the womb, but I really felt like many of the positions were counterproductive to me. I spent so much time trying not to recline, but when I sat up so straight, it felt like my poor, low, transverse baby was laying across my lap. He/she would squirm and protest. I started thinking, um, this isn't giving the baby MORE room at all.

So my advice really is to do what you think will work for you! Also, if nothing works, may I suggest that you talk to your doc about waiting to perform a c/s once you've gone into labor? It's said that many babies will turn during labor, plus then you know for sure that the baby is not getting taken out early. There is a slight increase in risk of complications, as I understand it, when you go into labor first, but if it potentially means you could avoid the c/s altogether, might be worth it!

Gotta comment on names. This weekend we scrapped our boy's name and are starting from scratch. : What are we thinking?? We had a hard enough time coming up with that one! But we were both dissatisfied. Oh, well! I guess eventually we'll HAVE to commit to something! Unless, of course it's a girl, then we're covered...

Tracy, doula and Army wife and homeschooling mama to A and E
#84 of 343 Old 02-10-2004, 08:35 AM

Hi everyone,

I am adjusting to the news that I am carrying a big baby. Lots of active positions in labour and I've got my Vit E oil for the perineal massage. Even if it doesn't work it will be fun to try. I also still have the all clear to deliver at the birth centre and I found out that my antenatal class last night that the midwives will not do episiotomies (phew) and they have a good rate for waterbirths there (my ideal for now), which is reassuring as there is only one pool.

My antenatal classes have been going brilliantly, we were learning different massage techniques for labour and my back hasn't felt so good for weeks. My DH is going to be busy from now until delivery! He seems to be a natural at the massage too which is fantastic.

My ILs are here helping with the decorating. I am so grateful for their help but I REALLY want to tidy the house (almost irrationaly so) and I can't because it is full of tools. Hopefully I will still feel this way when the decorating is done so I can put the hormones to good use .

I am sorry that so many of you have difficult family issues.

I would have liked my Mum to be at the birth but she is too far away and can't get time off work in advance. She will be coming to visit afterwards and having thought about it I think that will work out much better. She will be happy to do the cleaning and cooking for me and let me have baby or me time. I don't think she would have been that helpful at the birth, her philosophy is pretty different to mine and firmly rooted in 1970s obstetrics IYSWIM!

My baby seems to be faily fimrly ROA for now. Lots of movement but no shift in position. There is still time but I am just thankful that he/she is not breech or posterior. The birth ball is really coming into its own at this stage. I just can't get comfy on the sofa at all now!

to everyone
#85 of 343 Old 02-10-2004, 12:58 PM

I sympathize w/ all of you having family & in-law issues...
when I was pg w/ ds my mom said she wanted to come, and I initially agreed... I later realized I didn't want her there. She tends to be very very emotional and a worrier. I just didn't want that kind of energy there. When I finally told her that I'd rather not have her there, she was actually quite relieved!!

This baby dropped more and now I am waddeling and my hips ache all night long....
The only comfy place seems to be the bath.

Well, we are pretty much all packed and will begin moving out tomorrow.
We are getting rid of a bunch of stuff. My cousin is coming for a bunch of our furniture we are giving her tonight. Then we will move our bed, clothes, computer, and some misc boxes to my aunts for the 6 week stay, and all the rest to a storage facility...
Then we close on the house on Friday...
After that I plan to just lay around a lot, take baths, rest, and hopefully have my baby!!
#86 of 343 Old 02-10-2004, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

I am officially off my CNM's care list. She can't see me within 30 days of my due date or her malpractice insurance will freak out on her (because I'm planning a homebirth). What a bunch of hooey!

Had my hbmw appt last night. I love going there. I got a belly massage. This babe is definitely ROP. Hopefully will turn, but I'm not too worried about it.

Rachel- I asked about turning trasverse babies- she said chiropractic and massage will help, but also she had the idea to take a warm/hot something (washcloth) and put it towards the bottom of your belly and something cold (frozen washcloth) and put it towards the top of your belly, then have your dh talk to the baby down where you wants its head to be. Sounds a little kooky to me, but I've of heard it before, so maybe it'll work. And if your babe doesn't turn, talking to your doc about having a little labor before a c/s is a good idea. It's better for the baby's lungs.

ok, on Friday I had my last appt with the CNM. There was protein in my urine (2+, which seems like a lot to me), but last night at the mw, it didn't show on the pee stick, so who knows? My BP is staying the same and I don't have too much swelling (it wasn't noticible to me), and I know that I didn't drink enough water on Thursday, so maybe that had something to do with it.

I think my yeast infection is gone!!! I'm so glad. I've been so "in the mood" lately it's crazy, but avoiding "shaking things up" in there, so the deed has not been getting done. How long do you think I should wait to make sure it's gone? I was thinking if I know it's gone by the weekend, I should be ok. Grrr, it's hard to wait with my hormones...I just might explode .

R~mama to 3

#87 of 343 Old 02-10-2004, 07:06 PM

Rebecca and Tracy,
Thank you so much for the advice on turning babies; I checked out spinningbabies but it didn't seem they had much about transverse positions. Tracy, that's really interesting what you said about positions that were 'supposed' to be the best but you felt were counterproductive. In my head I'm wondering if the cord is just really short and he can't turn? I don't know, it's probably just in my head but I've had that thought pretty often.

Anyway, this Saturday I meet with chiro for 1st Webster adjustment, so hopefully I can get 4 sessions in :LOL before I go into labor. I will DEFINITELY take your advice about not scheduling a section. If he doesn't like it he can lump it. Also Rebecca I'm giving the washcloth thing a try...at this point what can it hurt? Thank you both so much!

About the name thing, it seems like there are a lot of us going back and forth. I'm deadset on the name but dh keeps asking me "are you sure"? Um...yeah, I'm sure. He has nothing else in mind so that's pretty frustrating. I wish I had just waited to see the baby and then named him. We still might change his name when we see him.

PinkSunfish-you have such a great outlook on your big baby, I wish I could take your post and transfer it to another board I post on where they are talking c-section for a 6 lber...sigh.

Bebeluna-be glad your mom was so cool about you changing your mind! I think mine would throw an absolute fit. Please take care of yourself, it looks like you will be very active with this upcoming move.

Hope everyone is having a great day!
#88 of 343 Old 02-10-2004, 09:00 PM

Hey, Everyone:

Well, I got my latest bloodwork back from the midwife, and she thinks I've got "just a touch" of toxemia. Hematocrit was off in a way that indicated a slight restriction in blood volume, and protein and albumin were low. Liver function was A-OK, though, and I've never had any protein or glucose in my urine. I do have some edema in my feet and ankles, but it comes and goes (and I don't have any in my hands, face, or any other part of my body), and my BP has been pretty labile for a few weeks--seems to get high at night and when I've been on my feet a lot.

So, she said she's a bit concerned, but she's thinking we can manage it for the time I've got left, which she's figuring is about 2 2 1/2 weeks. I *feel* fine (pregnancy-wise...I'm still recovering from the bronchitis), still walking a mile on the treadmill everyday, chasing after my toddler, etc. What are ya'lls thoughts on this? Just as a reminder, we're planning a homebirth...

Also, I lost my mucus plug 2 days ago (didn't realize what it was until today!!), and had additional cervical tissue (stringy, paper-like) come out this morning, so hopefully we're getting pretty close here.

RacheePoo--about the washcloth thing--what I'd heard is that babies turn their backs to warmth, so the idea is to gently heat up the part of your uterus where you want the baby's back to be and gently cool the other parts. When this baby was posterior, I ran a fairly warm bath and then got on all fours in the water with my stomach hanging in the warm water, but my back and butt exposed out of it. Baby flipped around in a day, and has been ROA ever since!
#89 of 343 Old 02-11-2004, 12:09 AM

Lisab -- I'd still be planning a homebirth in your situation... probably even more so now with a slight touch of toxemia. MW know how to handle these shades of normal just beautifully. Also, that's really exciting about your mucus plug! Wow! Now, I have heard that it means birth around the corner... or even weeks from now. Let's hope it's a littler sooner than later for you though. Sounds like you want to meet your baby soon!

Racheepoo -- put your belly up to the computer screen:
LOA! LOA! It's the way to be! The way to stay! LOA! LOA! Put your head low on the left TODAY! LOA!
There that should work... well when combined with a few Webster chiropracter adjustments!

DNR -- I wouldn't want any pregnant woman to miss out on sex! It's so good while pregnant! I would hope you could soon. Perhaps you can do "other things" till the weekend?

Bebeluna -- hope the actual moving days goes well. Congrats again on selling your house. Sounds like your little one is holding off until you're ready for his arrival. How nice of him! Hope you have plenty of time for baths. Must not be too much longer for you now. You sound like you must be close ("Final Funk" ready).

Pinksunfish -- way to grow a nice big healthy baby. Your body knows just how to do it! It won't grow a baby too big for you. Mmmm, birth ball. It's such a good thing!

Name Limbo -- good luck on the name game, women! Hopefully you'll find just the right name for your babe... or you could always do what Peekaboo Street's parents did! (They let her name herself, but she didn't have a name of her own when she started skiing, so she just used her street address.)

Indigo -- Cool dream! I'm thinking it was right on!

Things are going well here. I still have my lovely patterned BH. Baby is LOA, but then if I lie on my right, she'll roll ROP. I think she must just have a lot of room in there.

Happy baby growing & positioning!

#90 of 343 Old 02-11-2004, 01:52 AM

I had to go back 4 pages to catch up since my last post!

So much to talk about. . .

I have a couple of specific questions:

Are you planning a specific positoin for birthing, or will you just "go with it?"

For those of you having BH ctx, are they painful? If this is not your first pg, are they more or less painful this time?

Does anyone have any specific fears/anxiety you're dealing with? How?

Do you still have a belly button??

Do you find it logistically difficult to go to the bathroom?

My answers: go with it; not painful at all, hardly noticeable; dealing with anxiety with hypnobirthing; barely; and yes!

To touch on some of the things you've been discussing--

I'm feeling antisocial too! But I have no less than 3 social engagements coming up! ick, blech.

Sorry about the family issues, you guys. I have them too, but mine are easier to deal with: nobody has asked to come! I'm actually having to talk my mom into coming after to help! (she works FT and doesn't have vacation except for spring break, at which time she is planning a trip to AZ for a week!). The ILs are in Florida until the end of April. My dad and his wife are too busy with 3 young kids of their own, and also planning a Florida trip (we may actually try to join them.)

I'm done weighing myself. I'm huge. That's all there is to it. No need to rub it in!

As far as the realization that we actually have babies in us. . . YES!! It's such a crazy idea to begin with, then seeing Cheryl's babies, wow. It's almost here, ladies! I'm also having some anxiety about "what the he!! were we thinking -- THREE kids??" But I'm also soooo excited about it and the family dynamic we're going to experience. (My family life was/is kind of messed up).

We haven't decided on a name, although I've at least got dh thinking seriously on it. Today he told me which names everyone at his office likes. (as if I care about their opinion!!). We're narrowing it down. I prefer unique, he likes mainstream.

It is an absolute necessity for me to take a nap everyday. About 2:00, I just can't keep my eyes open anymore. I'm so thankful that dd and ds still nap--for about 2 hours! I've been having a difficult time falling asleep at night. My sinuses are totally plugged up. My pubic bone pain is still pretty bad, and now my lower back/hip aches constantly. I too feel like I'm carrying a load of bricks around. The baby's movement can be quite startling! I know she doesn't have much room to move at all. I was not nearly this uncomfortable for my first 2 pgs, so I'm sure it has something to do with being on my feet most of the day caring for them and the house. Last weekend dh took the kids away for the entire weekend and it was absolute heaven! I mean, it was quiet, and clean, and I rested and did not cook or clean. . . I love my dh! It was my b-day gift.

Well, if you're still reading, be well. . . we are in the homestretch now.

namaste.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page