sinus infection? Tylenol? Advil? Antibiotics? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-14-2009, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm dealing with some major sinus pain/pressure. It started yesterday with a bit of a sore throat, which I nursed with constant hot tea. By evening my throat felt better, but I woke up in the middle of the night with major sinus pain. I did the neti pot (then vomited and did the neti pot again), got my sinuses pretty clear and went back to bed. This morning my sinuses are still clear, though inflamed and very painful. Other than that, I feel pretty normal.

So, I'm debating whether to go get antibiotics or just stick it out for a while. I'm leaning toward just doing the neti pot regularly, as I've cured sinus infections before this way (although, can this be a sinus infection if there's almost no mucous?).

But if I do that, I want some pain relief! Is Tylenol or Advil safe at 14 weeks pregnant?

Chai, DS (3/05) and DS (2/10)
#2 of 7 Old 08-14-2009, 11:22 AM

As I understand it, Tylenol is much safer during pregnancy than Advil (which is a shame, as Advil is more effective on sinus infections).

Can you last out a day or two with the neti pot and Tylenol, and see how it goes, before going for antibiotics? Have you had a cold? If so, it may be viral, in which case antibiotics won't work anyway... although many doctors will give them to you "just in case".

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif
#3 of 7 Old 08-14-2009, 11:26 AM

My sinus infections almost never include mucous. Plain Tylenol/acetaminophen is safe. You would have to check into the ones with cold medicine includeded. My OB says no Advil/Ibuprofen ever during pregnancy. I'd stick with the netti pot, lots of hot tea and a hot washcloth over the eyes/nose.My DR is really reluctant to prescribe antibiotics because not all sinuse colds are bacterial. So unless it lingers I just treat it at home. My mother on the other hand suffers terrible and her DR gives her antibiotics to nip it asap.

Hope you feel better quick. It's no fun feeling sick when pg.

Stephanie: married mom to 4

Located just slightly left of sanity.

#4 of 7 Old 08-14-2009, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perdita_in_Ontario View Post
Have you had a cold? If so, it may be viral, in which case antibiotics won't work anyway... although many doctors will give them to you "just in case".
I think I did have a very mild cold. My DS had one for two days before my sore throat (yesterday). Or I could be at the beginning of a cold, I guess. The weird thing is that I have no mucous.

Oh, also, the day before my sore throat I had a vomiting episode due to acid reflux (I believe) during which stomach contents went into my sinuses. I got them out with the neti pot, but maybe something stayed in there and caused irritation. I was just researching and it looks like sinus pain can be caused entirely by inflammation, etc, without infection. So I'm leaning toward thinking I don't have an infection. In that case, a pain killer would be all I need, probably.

I'm a mess.

#5 of 7 Old 08-14-2009, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie95 View Post
My sinus infections almost never include mucous. Plain Tylenol/acetaminophen is safe.
Oh, thanks for mentioning that. That is very useful info.

#6 of 7 Old 08-15-2009, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Well, it turned into a full blown head cold, I think. Guess the sinus pain was just the initial symptom. I'm having lots of hot fluids and I did take one Tylenol yesterday which seemed to help "break" the headache. Haven't needed another yet.

#7 of 7 Old 08-15-2009, 11:56 AM

I had a pretty bad head cold all of last week. I took Tylenol twice a day (though you can take it more often than that) and used my Neti-Pot 3 or 4 times a day (you can use it every 2 hours if you'd like). It REALLY helped. It sucked not being able to take my usual sinus stuff that I do when I get a head cold when not pregnant. The Neti-Pot is definitely a life saver when preggo.

I also used Ayr, which is a nasal saline and aloe moisturizer. It's safe to put up in your nostrils and it helped keep things "fluid" enough in my nostrils to be able to breath through my nose better. It was REALLY helpful at night. I hate breathing through my mouth at night. It get so dry and icky!

Jackson Steven born 02/24/10! <3

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page