Tums during pregnancy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-14-2009, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am 8w3d pg, and I've been taking tums alot...the minty really helps with m/s. However, I've been trying to find info on this since I remember hearing a few years ago that there was something about tums that wasn't safe during pg. The only thing I have found was that it is not recomended during first tri becasue of possible tetrogeni something (carcinogens?). Anyone have info on this topic? I wil be lost without my tums, but don't want to put my baby in danger, if I haven't already. I know I took it alot during 3rd tri's so I assumed it was safe early on too..was I wrong??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2009, 12:42 PM

I wouldn't survived pregnancy without tums, but I tried not to take anything in the first tri. Could you try mints instead of the minty tums?

Wife to Josh ~ mommy to frankie (10-24-06) and hayley (7-25-09) and Caleb (4-30-11)
Old 08-14-2009, 01:08 PM

I was told if you take too many tums you'll end up with too much calcium, which is somehow bad during pregnancy (don't recall why). I've been taking chewable papaya tablets from the herbal supplements isle at Whole Foods. They've been really good for heartburn, but I don't know how they'd do with m/s.

Mamma since 10/22/09
Old 08-14-2009, 01:44 PM

I took some minty tums, too, on a really rough morning... I googled it and they seemed safe for pregnancy. But I know that a lot of people (probably a lot on these boards especially) wouldn't take any unnecessary "risks" at all, so you may get a lot of different answers. I have been having trouble finding the right balance for me, and have been coming to a place where I think I am taking great care of what goes into my body because of this little fetus, versus what I need to feel well enough to do the things I need to do to care for myself and my growing family. In other words, for me that has meant no true "medications", but the occasional cup of caffeinated tea, veggie sushi rolls (I started getting paranoid about "what if they used a knife to cut these that was also used to cut raw fish?", but, really, if you're eating restaurant or storebought food, anyway, you can only ensure food safety so much, anyway), etc. Tums has come in very handy once or twice, and I don't think there's anything so wrong with them unless you're doing it in excess (as with so many things)... but if you're worried, you might try mineral water (the bubbles help me a bit), strong brewed ginger tea, or even (I would think this is safe) baking soda in water?
Old 08-14-2009, 02:07 PM

I ate them like candy till I discovered Zantac. The OTC dose is safe during pg and one pill lasts for hours.

Diane, SAHM to DD (June 05) and DS (April 07).
::::
Old 08-14-2009, 02:38 PM

I use Rolaides mainly because I cannot stand the taste of tums and Rolaides help me A LOT LOT more than tums ever did. I also googled the safety and both were concidered safe!

Glenn bouncy.gif 11*09 Joe 4*04 peace.gif Me praying.gif & Hubby geek.gif

Quote:

Old 08-14-2009, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I took them during my pregnancy with my first. The issue as I recall is that some other brands have aluminum in them. I don't think Tums does though.

But I found an herbal tincture during my last pregnancy that worked wonders and it is specifically formulated for pregnant women so none of the concerns one might have with other medications. It is called Digestive Ease for Pregnancy (there is another one that is just regular, so make sure you get the one that specifies pregnancy) from Wishgarden Herbs.

I get it at Vitamin Cottage but I think you can also order it online at http://www.wishgardenherbs.com/. Hmm... their website doesn't seem to be working at the moment, but this place also carries it http://www.naturalchoicesforliving.c...hp?category=43
Old 08-14-2009, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much mamas! You've given me a lot to think about. I believe what helps me with the tums is that it settles/neutrilizes stomach acid, and then I feel less like I'm going to vomit. It gives quite a bit of relief when I'm on the verge...I wonder if the natural or homepathic stuff does the same thing? So far today I haven' ttaken any and I am having a really hard time not heading for the bathroom!
Old 08-14-2009, 04:15 PM

Quote:
it settles/neutrilizes stomach acid, and then I feel less like I'm going to vomit. It gives quite a bit of relief when I'm on the verge...I wonder if the natural or homepathic stuff does the same thing?
I don't know how the tincture works exactly but I am one of those moms that pukes 24/7 for 10 months straight (yep, got long pregnancies too!) and especially at the end the heart burn is just horrible. It is the best stuff I've found so far.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitfulmomma View Post
I don't know how the tincture works exactly but I am one of those moms that pukes 24/7 for 10 months straight (yep, got long pregnancies too!) and especially at the end the heart burn is just horrible. It is the best stuff I've found so far.
Wow, poor you, that sounds rougher then most Hang in there!

Thanks for the info, I'm definately going to get some and give it a try!
Old 08-14-2009, 07:48 PM

My MW who is very crunchy said tums are fine for nausea and upset stomach, especially if they help keep food down I have resorted to Maalox (which she said is also OK) because I need a real coating, otherwise the stomach acid just hurts and hurts.. I think she is of the philosophy that if you're really sick, it's better to find what works for you than puke your brains out and become worse off with dehydration and whatnot. I'm 10w2d, btw.

Feel better!

Happy excited Mama! Evelyn Isabel born March 12, 2010!
Old 08-14-2009, 08:13 PM

I should've bought stock in Tums. 4 pregnancies... and I ate them almost every day. The calcium was a bonus for me b/c I don't drink milk.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Wow, poor you, that sounds rougher then most Hang in there!
Oh, thanks... Not actually currently pregnant, just wanted to chime in with what helped with I was.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:57 AM

i will throw in my caution against too many Tums. i ate them a lot during the second trimester and became *so constipated*. it was literally shitting a big long bone. it was *horrible*. i barely got it out. it took an hour and a half of what i would describe as hard labor. when it finally came out it was white colored (from the Tums) and it took me a day and a half to get it to flush down the toilet. i was sweating and panicking, trying to get it out. i would choose childbirth over that kind of poop anyday.

so my warning about Tums would be that if you are anywhere near constipated, obey the label warning (there's a limit as to how many you should take in a day and how many days). it was my mom who clued me in that the calcium in Tums comes from *bone* and that they are constipating...

i have since also discovered Zantac 150s OTC (for heartburn) and they are a godsend.

also, earlier in pregnancy, my amniotic fluid bordered on low. since quitting the Tums, i've rebounded into the "thoroughly normal" category for fluid. so, anecdotally, i also feel that too many Tums can be dehydrating (which would play into constipation, too).

Old 08-15-2009, 11:24 AM

I've done Tums with no ill effects. Right now I'm trying not to take more than four every day, but it's still early. you might want to try drinking milk instead, to see if that helps. Perhaps a mint milkshake?

knit.gifWife to Ageek.gif since 7-7-2006, Mother to Mnocirc.gif since 11-23-2007ribboncesarean.gif, and N slinggirl.gifborn on 4-9-2010vbac.gif
Old 08-15-2009, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My philosophy is not to over do it with anything. I take 3-4 Tums a week and other times I try other things like ginger tea or even mint tea with fresh mint (you have to throw the stalks in too). I also augment with lots of protein from a variety of sources and eat lots of small meals and try in general to stay away from junky food. And I get some kind of exercise almost everyday, even if only a 30 minute walk at night. But I also partake of things generally frowned upon in small portions, like the occasional half glass of wine and a half cup of coffee in the morning.

Moderation and variety is my approach, but that's just me.

mama to Rassa, born 12/9/09
Old 08-15-2009, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aylaanne View Post
I've done Tums with no ill effects. Right now I'm trying not to take more than four every day, but it's still early. you might want to try drinking milk instead, to see if that helps. Perhaps a mint milkshake?

Oooh, a mint milkshake, that sounds intrigiung! Would you use fresh mint or extract?
Old 08-15-2009, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

OK, so it seems some of you are also taking tums during the first tri, just not overdoing it. That gives me some good ideas, just take them when nothing else is cutting it! I think I'll try the mylanta, the homepathic, the mint milkshakes (that sounds really yummy right now! ), mint tea, and then use tums as a 'supplement'. I was tking ALOT each day, 2 everytime I felt like the nausea was starting...so, thanks so much!!!

One last little worry in the back of my mind...do you think that I was taking so much that I may have caused harm to my baby?
Old 08-15-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattooed Hand View Post
My philosophy is not to over do it with anything. I take 3-4 Tums a week and other times I try other things like ginger tea or even mint tea with fresh mint (you have to throw the stalks in too). I also augment with lots of protein from a variety of sources and eat lots of small meals and try in general to stay away from junky food. And I get some kind of exercise almost everyday, even if only a 30 minute walk at night. But I also partake of things generally frowned upon in small portions, like the occasional half glass of wine and a half cup of coffee in the morning.

Moderation and variety is my approach, but that's just me.
if you can get by on 3-4 Tums a week, then you don't have a severe problem. i had a more severe problem: i had heartburn waking me up suddenly at night with vomit rising in my throat. also such a sharp burning pain in my throat throughout the day that my mouth would salivate uncontrollably. i stayed with the Tums for too long, thinking they were the "least" medication option, and thereby better.

from what my midwife told me, Zantac is safe in pregnancy (i've reasearched it independently as well) -- and it is much more effective than Tums. with none of the dehydrating/constipating effects. my amniotic fluid level has now returned to normal, as a result of giving up the Tums.

User Tag List