Pregnant after Infertility Tribe - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 449 Old 09-29-2009, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Jelinifer!!! That's awesome!

I have finally finished off my progesterone suppositories and the constipation is a bit better now but I have headaches off and on all day. Do you think that's progesterone withdrawal? Also still really tired, my mw is testing me for anemia.

How are all those twin mamas out there coping??

mama to two DD's, 7 and 3 (3 rounds of IVF and more FET's than I can remember)
#182 of 449 Old 09-29-2009, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by by-the-lake View Post
I am thinking the PSTD thing totally sums up me. I was wondering why now, after 2 kids already, am I having all of these issues regarding this pregnancy and so forth. Its the infertility. Thanks for this enlightning idea. Now, how to get through.......
I have thought quite a bit about this, and here's how I'm looking at it (from a psychological pov) The IF stuff went on for a long time for all of us. For us, it was 1/3 of our marriage. During that time, a "story" was created that I was "infertile" and every time there was a new failure, a new month, a new doctor, a new pregnancy near me, etc., every time an event occurred that supported this narrative, it gained strength and intensity and wove itself into my identity more and more. I thought about my infertility so often during the day as I am sure so many of you all did. I couldn't turn it off and everything reminded me of it. That continued to make the story stronger. Now I'm pregnant and suddenly, the narrative has shifted and suddenly I'm on equal footing with anyone else who is 6 wks pregnant. How could that be? It's definitely the desired result (Hallelujah!) but I think it takes some time to really shift to this new identity. I find so far that just being aware of my emotions and thoughts is helping to let go of all the struggle. Even DH is going through it. He said yesterday, "We just had so many months of waiting, over and over, and getting your period...it just never ended." We're both stunned that it ended!

WELCOME Attached2Mason! Congrats on your successful IVF! I think we had our cycles around the same time. It's such a joy to have the process work!

Jelinifer! I thought of you today! I'm so glad you saw the HB! How fantastic that must have been! I'm so happy for you!

Proud Mama to Liam Greenleaf 5/31/10
#183 of 449 Old 09-30-2009, 03:00 PM

Jelinfer - : Yeah for a good strong hb!! :

Poet - You sum things up so eloquently. Thank you. Good luck tomorrow! : Isn't that your hb u/s?

CRM - I'm hangin' in there. As are the babes. I will admit that I've already lowered my standard from carrying to 40 weeks to thinking that 38 weeks and 3 days would be perfect. Nesting isn't bothering me so much as "get these kids out of me!". Of course, then my practical side says "we really need to save money, so they have to stay in until we have a good shot at breastfeeding and no nicu time." I think it's just the normal pregnancy craziness.

J A with DD1 7/06, lost twins 9/08
DD2 12/09 & DS1 12/09
#184 of 449 Old 10-01-2009, 01:32 PM

houston, we have a heartbeat! we saw it and we heard it...118 bpm and the teeny little fetus is measuring normal....WAHOO!

and it is an it, meaning we put back three embryos, but we've got a singleton.

What a Huge Relief this is!!!

A perfect 9 yr anniversary present!!!

#185 of 449 Old 10-01-2009, 01:42 PM

p.s. now I have to get my own heartbeat down. I was so nervous it was resting 122! Yikes! But normal blood pressure. EXHALE!

#186 of 449 Old 10-01-2009, 01:53 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Congratulations!!!

Sorry for the stalking - I'm just so happy for you!!!

me, my man, and our boys (1/08 and 3/11)

#187 of 449 Old 10-01-2009, 02:38 PM

Congratulations! So cool!

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#188 of 449 Old 10-01-2009, 06:09 PM

Glad to hear you were able to see the heartbeat....it truly is breathtaking the first time

Tricia, married to DH. 2MC's & 4 yrs ttc...finally mom to Andrew6/06 and Benjamin 10/09. Adopted bro & sis 2002. My 2 fav. words: Spay and Neuter! I'm an Ultimate Viewer, 2010!

#189 of 449 Old 10-01-2009, 06:36 PM

Congrats Poet!!!!! *happytear* Yes, I'm stalking you.

The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience.
| @jovialady is Kiya ~ TTC 3 years & counting for a ~ Connsumte BookDragon|
#190 of 449 Old 10-01-2009, 07:44 PM

Congrats Poet and Jelinifer! Wonderful news for both of you!!

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#191 of 449 Old 10-02-2009, 01:31 AM - Thread Starter

Ya, poet!!! So happy for you.

#192 of 449 Old 10-02-2009, 10:45 AM

jen & poet ~ congratulations on seeing your babes' beautiful heartbeats this week!! what exciting news!!!

~ sarah
#193 of 449 Old 10-02-2009, 10:57 AM

Poet - : Your post totally makes my day! : : Congratulations, mama! What a beautiful sound.

DD2 12/09 & DS1 12/09
#194 of 449 Old 10-02-2009, 12:29 PM

Yay for seeing heartbeats!

Loving wife to my Army man, Momma to energy.gifSammy, born 10/2009 and belly.gifexpecting #2 10/2012

#195 of 449 Old 10-02-2009, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Soooo, abeecharmer, how are you feeling? (I have an eye on your ticker as I say this).

Hang in there Juliasmom!!!

And everyone PLEASE post update on here when you give birth, I can't wait for those announcements!!!!

#196 of 449 Old 10-04-2009, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

Hope everyone is well.

I have had a headache for 2 days, before that off and on for a couple of weeks. I went off the progesterone 2 ? weeks ago, but weaned off of that (from 2 twice a day, to 3 a day to 2 day). WTH? Is this normal? I don't usually get headaches and didn't with my dd.

#197 of 449 Old 10-04-2009, 11:59 PM

So thrilled to hear about the heartbeats! Best sound in the world!

CRM - I know that headaches are quite a common complaint in pregnancy (perhaps due to increased blood volume?) but ugh. I feel for you...

Nothing much to report here. Only a few more weeks until 3rd trimester (how did that happen??) and I'm dealing with some pelvic and back pain issues. I've picked up an oh-so-beautiful Medela support belt and it seems to help somewhat, but it's going to be a long fall and winter...

But it will all be worth it!!

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif
#198 of 449 Old 10-05-2009, 03:57 PM

hi crm ~ im doing okay, thanks for checking! im exhausted and achy and nervous, but trying to appreciate these last weeks of pregnancy. after trying for soooo long to get to this point, it feels really surreal that we are going to have a baby this month!

im sorry to hear you're suffering from headaches. have you talked to your doc? does tylenol help at all? ive had a couple of really bad ones in the past few months, its miserable!

perdita ~ congrats on being so near to the 3rd trimester! that really did fly by, i cant believe you are so close!

hi to everyone else!

~ sarah
#199 of 449 Old 10-06-2009, 08:00 PM

I hope everyone's doing well and busy enjoying uneventful pregnancies.

I had my 39 week appointment with my midwife yesterday, and everything is looking good. Baby is head down, and I've been having some BH contractions. Now we just play the waiting game. My due date isn't until Saturday, so I'm trying to relax and just assume that I'll be pregnant until at least then.

Loving wife to my Army man, Momma to energy.gifSammy, born 10/2009 and belly.gifexpecting #2 10/2012

#200 of 449 Old 10-07-2009, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter

Congrats Libbylou, you're almost there! Good for you for staying so zen.

My thoughts are with you Juliasmom. I have stalked the multiples thread enough to have an idea of how much discomfort you are in (as much as one can imagine it without experiencing it).

Wow, abeecharmer, you are so close!! The end is hard, but I'm glad you are enjoying it as much as you can. You must update us when the baby arrives!! I've lost your blog link, I'd love it if you could PM it to me.

And Perdita, that went fast! I hope the pain doesn't get worse, that sounds crummy.

How are you doing poet? I hope you are rolling in bliss since your hb appointment!!

AFM, the headaches have gotten better. I cut out soy, started taking a B complex and have been trying to stretch out my neck and back (all great MDC suggestions). My mw also suggested regular massages, which I shall try to arrange.

So here's a dicey topic chromosomal abnormality testing. I feel so odd about it, since we tried to hard to get pregnant, why would I test to see if something is "wrong"? What would we do about it if there is? Especially because conclusive results don't come back until into the second trimester. But I am over 35, so of course there are concerns and offers of testing. I am doing the nuchal translucency screening this week, assuming I will be reassured by the results and will be able to stop thinking about it. But ??? Thoughts??

Btw, I am 12 weeks today and still not telling, not sure when I will. Before my pooched out belly makes it obvious to all, I suppose.

#201 of 449 Old 10-07-2009, 09:31 AM

CRM- congrats on making 12 weeks!!!

I'm so glad the headaches are getting better for you too

Jen knit.gif crafty mama LLLactivist to DS1 (2010)bouncy.gif and DS2 (2012)blahblah.giffamilybed2.gif nursex2.gifribbonjigsaw.gif
#202 of 449 Old 10-07-2009, 10:48 AM

Libby - sounds like a great 39w appointment - you are SO close! i cant wait to hear how the birth goes, be sure to update us as soon as you are able!

CRM - ill send you a PM, i hate that we cant have links in our sigs anymore glad to hear your headaches have eased up some. we didnt do the first trimester screening. i read too much about false positives and just decided against the extra worry/stress. i hope your nts this week looks great and is reassuring. re: telling people, we told some of our close family/friends right away, but i didnt tell others (co-workers, etc) until i was 18 weeks. i just wasnt ready to share with the world!

hope everyone is doing well!

~sarah
#203 of 449 Old 10-07-2009, 11:22 AM

: : : coli: : :
I am so excited to see so many ladies getting close! Yeah!
Sarah & Libby Lou - you must post when you deliver.
Perdita - Wow, the time did fly, almost 3rd trimester for you!
CRM - I can't believe you're already at 12 weeks! I didn't tell anyone really until 16 weeks, when it was getting rather obvious. It was nice to have that shared joyous secret for a while, but by then, we really needed to tell to make sure family knew before more distant friends/co-workers guessed.

As for the testing...I did do it, for two reasons. First of all, it was a different test than when I was pregnant with dd. This was not a single blood draw, but the combination of two blood draws and an u/s. Also, the studies showed it gave less false positives and really just showed if your risk was above or below the standard. Second, I wanted to know, so that I could be prepared. There was no way in h*** we'd end the pregnancy, but it would be immensely helpful to educate myself and be prepped for any additional care we would need to give. Still, I did struggle with the decision because I knew if the test was positive, then an amnio would be recommended and I really didn't want to go down that road. The risk, no matter how small, of losing a baby due to an amnio scares the crap out of me. Thankfully, we didn't have to deal with that.

AFM - 2 months and 2 days until my personal pregnancy goal. : We're starting to finish up our commitments at church and such. The only things we're missing, that concern me, are diapers. The rest I could care less about, a crib isn't essential and I'm sure we'd have plenty of friends/family to help with food if I don't get a chance to stock the freezer.

DD2 12/09 & DS1 12/09
#204 of 449 Old 10-07-2009, 01:53 PM

I'm near my due date as well (10/22/09 or so), and am still getting things together for my home birth (I was supposed to have everything ready by last Thursday but haven't quite got it all). I haven't done any freezer meals (I've never made a freezer meal in my life), and have no family or many close friends to help so I'm not sure what we'll be eating after baby is here -- probably a lot of takeout. Oh well, such is life, I'm kind of used to our doing everything ourselves. Never grew up with a network of families, related or not, and haven't ever managed to create that for myself either. My belly is sore around the middle, like it's being over stretched. I see the midwife today, I think I'll ask her about that.

Soy is a migraine trigger for me as well, as are most nuts and peanuts and sesame seeds. Also, smoked or aged meats and yogurt and aged cheese. As long as I avoid all those things, I am usually migraine free. If I accidentally eat something from that list and get a migraine, usually green tea along with a ton of fruit seem to help.

As far as chromosome testing, we decided against it. Last time,when I was 37, I did the amnio, and it hurt afterward and it just didn't feel right. I did do the nuchal translucency thing and the blood draws, which they said did show a reduced risk (they are just screens not diagnostic tests so they are not definite), but at 43 my risk is still fairly high. I am pretty confident that the baby is fine. I would definitely not terminate anyway.
I interviewed a birth doula, and asked her about postpartum care. She charges $30 per hour with a four hour minimum, which seemed rather steep to me. I'm thinking of asking around about a doula in training instead.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#205 of 449 Old 10-07-2009, 05:06 PM

Just thought I would check in quick. I had my 37 week appt. Nothing too exciting to report. I am dilated to 1cm and the the baby is engaged, but my OB said she was easily able to push his head back. The whole thought of her being able to push his head is a little weird for me. I had DS1 at 38 weeks and he was 8lbs8oz. My doctor thinks this baby is going to be about the same size. It's funny to me that DS1 started out so big and then now is in about the 10th percentile for growth. Maybe I fed him better when he was inside me

Tricia, married to DH. 2MC's & 4 yrs ttc...finally mom to Andrew6/06 and Benjamin 10/09. Adopted bro & sis 2002. My 2 fav. words: Spay and Neuter! I'm an Ultimate Viewer, 2010!

#206 of 449 Old 10-07-2009, 10:02 PM

Thanks for the Heartbeat Love, stalkers too-thanks! Best. Sound. Ever.
Now I'm engaged in daily hurl management and exhaustion!
It's pretty constant but honestly IMO, SO much easier than crying every day from infertility or planning my day around injections and dildo cams. I wonder if I will feel that way about most hardships of motherhood...Babybean's shenanigans may have me on the couch with saltines, but I'll take it!

CRM, for 12 weeks!

Gumby, Libby, Pookie, BeeCharmer~New babies on their way! So exciting! I'll be thinking of you all and wishing you wonderful births!

Julia's Mom, Sounds like you are right on track! Well done. How are you feeling?

I was interested to hear the pre-testing chat. I will be 36 in October. Tricky. My sister had a CVS and tested positive for Down's but it was not reflected in the u/s and the baby was fine, so I hate to put myself through extra angst. We *may* do the nts and bw and *hopefully* we can let it go after that. We'll see.

So we told our parents about the heartbeat and then DH's parents immediately started calling and telling their whole extended family without asking us first. They thought they had permission. Uh, no, I am still being monitored as a high risk preg. I figured it out when his niece practically outed us on FB at 6 f'in weeks! Luckily I caught the post right after she sent it. I deleted it, figured out what happened and we promptly told his parents to put a lid on it. I'm glad they're happy but they don't *really* get what we've been through. We also asked them to keep the ivf between us, but I think it's too late. I think they already told everyone. I think it just brought up feelings of being misunderstood in this whole process all over again, but I'm letting it go...sticking to the little one for now, a blueberry this week.

#207 of 449 Old 10-08-2009, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia'sMom View Post
CRM - I can't believe you're already at 12 weeks! I didn't tell anyone really until 16 weeks, when it was getting rather obvious. It was nice to have that shared joyous secret for a while, but by then, we really needed to tell to make sure family knew before more distant friends/co-workers guessed.

As for the testing...I did do it, for two reasons. First of all, it was a different test than when I was pregnant with dd. This was not a single blood draw, but the combination of two blood draws and an u/s. Also, the studies showed it gave less false positives and really just showed if your risk was above or below the standard. Second, I wanted to know, so that I could be prepared. There was no way in h*** we'd end the pregnancy, but it would be immensely helpful to educate myself and be prepped for any additional care we would need to give. Still, I did struggle with the decision because I knew if the test was positive, then an amnio would be recommended and I really didn't want to go down that road. The risk, no matter how small, of losing a baby due to an amnio scares the crap out of me. Thankfully, we didn't have to deal with that.
I think it's getting rather obvious with me already! My family is all far away, so I'll decide when to tell them and then work and everyone else will follow. I am totally of the same mind with the testing. When I had my dd, it was a triple screen, then I heard about quad screens, now it's SIPPS or something like that with the two blood tests. From what I understand, they get a lot more information. I am also doing the NTS with a special blood test that only takes 5 days for results (and another $500 to my IF clinic, then I'll be kissing them goodbye!). Amnios freak me out so I am hoping and praying that the NTS says low risk and I can bow out of all further testing without worry. Thanks for discussing this with me all, it feels like an especially tricky subject with fellow IF "survivors", but only you can understand why it's extra weird for me.

#208 of 449 Old 10-08-2009, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter

for all of you getting close to your due dates. I can.not.wait. for all the birth stories.

#209 of 449 Old 10-08-2009, 08:50 AM

I had my ultrasound yesterday and it's a baby girl! Everything looked perfect and I am so happy!!!

The high risk ob I saw (it was a level II u/s) convinced me to get the flu shot. They had a single vial shot that was preservative free and thimerosal free. She also convinced me I should get the swine flu vax when it is available, again preservative and thimerosal free. It was such a hard decision but I do have risk factors for complications from the flu other than just being pregnant and I am a health care worker. I am a little worried this morning that it was the right thing to do but I feel like I am between a rock and a hard place. I just hope I am making the right decision.

Mommy to Violet Kisori born 3/3/10
#210 of 449 Old 10-09-2009, 11:22 AM

Pookie - You are getting close! : Yeah, I haven't really made a freezer meal before either. However, I just plan on checking out some cook books from the library for some and others are just casseroles I love that I can assemble and then freeze. I figure later I'll just defrost and bake.

Poet - Sorry the news got spread so fast for you. Hopefully they'll think twice before doing that again. I hear you on not spreading about ivf to the world. It's still a bit sensitive and you never know how people will react/judge. Grow, blueberry, grow!!

Sri Rahda - Yeah for a baby girl! : I too am getting both my flu shots. Eeek. I know it's not popular here on MDC and it does still really worry me, but weighing the pros and cons I feel it's the best choice. I hope it's the right choice, too.

AFM - I think I dropped yesterday. I can now breathe so much easier, but feel this constant need to pee, apparently the previous once an hour on the hour was not enough. Hopefully it means nothing, as these babes need more time. However, I'll probably call the nurse just to confirm, since I'm paranoid like that.

DD2 12/09 & DS1 12/09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page