Pregnant after Infertility Tribe - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 449 Old 08-17-2009, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Howdy! Anyone else over here who is now pregnant after experiencing infertility (including ART or not)? I feel like the experience is a bit different for me, partly because the whole process is so closely monitored at first eg. I didn't pee on a stick, I get a series of quantitative HcG blood tests. Can you relate? Join me?

mama to two DD's, 7 and 3 (3 rounds of IVF and more FET's than I can remember)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 449 Old 08-17-2009, 10:13 PM

Hi you

You know my story of course, but for anyone else, this is our second IVF pregnancy - two failed attempts last year after having DD in 2005. I had hoped to have the opportunity to tandem nurse, but after the two attempts last year while nursing, and DD cutting back her sessions to once a day, we ended up weaning. Just another thing infertility took from us

Although the road here was different, it's so nice to be able to put IVF behind us now (this is our last bio child - I'm DONE with ART) and just be somewhat "normal"...

It really gives me genuine joy to see you here - we've been through so much in the Infertility forum...

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif
#3 of 449 Old 08-17-2009, 10:35 PM

Hi

I'll join too!! Pregnant with third pregnancy (two previous losses ) and hoping this one sticks!!

IUI with injectables for me, and we were so lucky first round!!

Due April 23rd, how about others?

Claire

Claire , married to my hero, Nick . Our two rainbows babies are here!!! Welcome Noah Peter and Ryan Matthew, born at 25 weeks 6 days on 01/14/09 by emergency C-section!! We are in love!!!
#4 of 449 Old 08-17-2009, 10:40 PM

I will join as well even though I am at the end of my pregnancy. We had tried for 3 years suffered one clomid induced ectopic in which I lost my right tube. After that we went to an RE that knew what he was doing. Had all the tests and lo and behold my left tube was blocked with endo and scar tissue. Thus begins our IVF journey.

Everything was so whirlwind for us, moved way faster than I ever imagined. We made our decision on Sept 26, ER Dec 2, ET Dec 7, Pos Beta Dec 16. I can totaly understand the delicateness of a "non normal" conception. There was no way that I was going to get on the treadmill or run and jog, I was not going to risk it. Peace of mind is way better than toned legs to me. I didn't even want to imagine the what ifs.

The thing that I find the most comical about this entire process is in the begining everytime you feel wet you run to the bathroom praying you don't see any blood, and at the end every time I feel wet I go to the bathroom and hope that I have bloody show. I find that people who have not themselves been through IF have no clue what it is like..the defeat we feel month after month. The innocence of not worring about every little thing.

Hope everyone has an uneventful 9 months.

K 30 married to J 40 Love being a SAHM to our IVF miracles: Jackson 08/09, Emily and Miles 09/11 Missing our lost babies 04/08, 08/10. Currently planted on a soft surface bfinfant.gifall day long.

#5 of 449 Old 08-17-2009, 10:42 PM

we had just had our first consult and scheduled surgery (endometriosis) when we found out we had conceived on our own. our lost baby was also conceived without help; our 3 1/2 yr old was conceived after surgery. we had been ttc since aug 06 with this one. i'm currently in the hospital awaiting her birth. i've been on bedrest and meds since about 20 wks. so glad you ladies have made it over here!

Jen-loving Bill, mama to Teryn 18, Kalyn 16, Ricky 13, Natalie 5, Angel Zoe '07 and rainbow1284.gifAmelia Rae 22 mos bonus kids (dss) W 14, W 13 NEW grandbaby due 10/10/11

#6 of 449 Old 08-17-2009, 10:51 PM

Hi Ladies! Nice to "see" everyone again...and in the best place of all the pregnancy boards!

CRM - Congratulations! I hadn't seen your good news yet!!! :

Kristina - Wow, you are really close! Looking back, time seems to have flown...that's totally looking back of course

cd.gif  love.gif(DD1 Oct 2009),  angel1.gif (2011) ,  twins.gif (DD2 and DD3 June 2012)

#7 of 449 Old 08-18-2009, 10:42 AM

hi ladies! its nice to see so many familiar faces in one place - thanks for starting this thread, crm. i agree, its hard to feel at home on the ddc boards after IF.

im currently 29w5d pregnant with our daughter, due 10/29. we spent two years getting to this point, including multiple iuis with clomid and injectibles, a fresh ivf cycle that ended in m/c, and finally a FET in february of this year.

krissy - you are so close, how exciting! wishing you lots of luck in these upcoming weeks and a healthy delivery.

jen - hope you're doing okay on bedrest. what kind of things are you doing to stay sane/keep your mind occupied? i was completely stir-crazy after three days of bedrest following my ETs, i cant imagine how difficult 10 weeks straight must be!

hi to everyone else!

~sarah
#8 of 449 Old 08-18-2009, 12:00 PM

I'll join in. We went through 3 years of ART and one loss before getting this one - in an off-month. We were about to progress to IUI and were just waiting for my cycle to start to start the process when I got the BFP.

I'm 35 weeks right now, and so far have had an incredibly uneventful pregnancy.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#9 of 449 Old 08-18-2009, 12:40 PM

I will join in too! Im 11 weeks with Twins after 8.5 years of every treatment under the sun.. finally we got the opportunity to have IVF w/ICSI and it worked! : I am Due March 4th, expected to deliver early Feb.

Mother to 3 wonderful boys. Doula, MW apprentice, Photographer, Foster/adoptive mom, twin mom and advocate for much.
#10 of 449 Old 08-18-2009, 12:58 PM

CRM: Thanks for starting this!

For those who don't know.....

It took DH and I 4 years and 2 mc's to conceive DS1. My OB at the time just put me on clomid for five cycles and 4 IUI's without doing any bloodwork. After all of the failed cycles I was able to finally convince her that something else was wrong and she sent me to an infertility doc who immediately did some blood work and a SA on DH. Lo and behold they discovered that I am missing a gene that metabolizes folic acid and DH's sperm count was low. Missing a gene that metabolizes folic acid also causes my endo to be thinner than normal so going on clomid was the worst thing I could have done. After injectibles to rebuild my lining, mega doses of folic acid, baby aspirin and progesterone supplements and an IUI, we conceived DS1.

For this one, we were in the process of starting infertility meds while I was on metformin and folic acid when I became pregnant on our own.

Now, i'm 29 weeks pg and looking forward to being not pg anymore because I am soooo uncomfortable. I'm pretty sure this is our last and although I know I will be sad to now have any other babies, I also am extremely thankful that I was blessed with two. Especially when for so long I thought we would never even have one. Congrats to everyone:::

Tricia, married to DH. 2MC's & 4 yrs ttc...finally mom to Andrew6/06 and Benjamin 10/09. Adopted bro & sis 2002. My 2 fav. words: Spay and Neuter! I'm an Ultimate Viewer, 2010!

#11 of 449 Old 08-18-2009, 01:43 PM

It's so nice to hear all these success stories after all the pain of infertility.

I almost can't believe I'm actually reading and posting (!) on the pregnancy board - I always avoided this forum like the plague...

We began our TTC journey with a mc followed by 4 years of infertility. Along the way we adopted my amazing DS. This is our 4th cycle of treatment and were doing IUI and injectables. I honestly gave up on getting pg long ago, but didn't want to regret not trying and now, unexpectedly we're due in late April.

I think I'm still in shock and worrying more than celebrating. I'm waiting on my second Beta numbers today and am telling myself I can finally get excited if the numbers are high enough.

Peace and health to you all!

SAHM to two amazing boys
8-21-05
#12 of 449 Old 08-18-2009, 03:20 PM

Hi all! CRM, what a great idea for a tribe! Congratulations to you. When is your next beta??

I think it's neat to see all of you ladies at different stages here too How exciting to see some so close to birth!

As for me, we have a DD who will be two in October, conceived via our first round of IVF (after unsuccessfully trying naturally, Clomid, and IUIs). I am now pregnant via an FET, using the same batch we made with DD back in '07! Just one little bean in there as far as we can tell, and due in March. We are very excited, though a little cautious as I had a m/c this past March after a surprise natural conception. I was only six weeks along at the time, and will be 10 weeks tomorrow with this pregnancy, so I'm feeling pretty confident. (Good thing, because boy I'm like a leaky faucet with the news!)

Congrats to all of you graduates!!! It's wonderful to see so many.

Gina, wife to DH, mama to my heart breaker Cecelia (10/13/07) and
welcoming our new baby boy Henry (03/08/10)
#13 of 449 Old 08-19-2009, 11:12 AM

I'm here too. : : DD was conceive with "only" clomid and metformin. These next beans took 3 cycles of ivf. ivf#1 - miscarried at 12 weeks, ivf#2 - bfn, ivf#3 - success!!! We too are done with any and all ART after this. Should God give us a miracle, yippee! If not, then I'm satisfied. So...22 weeks down and 18 more to go, not that I'm counting or anything.

J A with DD1 7/06, lost twins 9/08
DD2 12/09 & DS1 12/09
#14 of 449 Old 08-19-2009, 12:24 PM

so happy to see some of my ddc buddies here! sarah...i just pretend like i'm on vacation. i have this computer to keep me busy but i also do a bit of reading, crocheting, catching up with my friends and family via phone and email, i joined facebook and goof off over there some, and i *EMBARRASSED GRIN* have been watching ridiculous amounts of really bad reality t.v.! oh, and the food network is inspiring me to flava up my kitchen when i get home. i didn't have time to stockpile food, but even if i had dh would be using it now. so, when i get home my oven and my crockpot will be blazin while i try to mother and stock up on easy foods for the first few months.

also so happy to see some of my PAL friends over on this side and sharing GOOD news. its wonderful to see you cristeen and julia!!!

Jen-loving Bill, mama to Teryn 18, Kalyn 16, Ricky 13, Natalie 5, Angel Zoe '07 and rainbow1284.gifAmelia Rae 22 mos bonus kids (dss) W 14, W 13 NEW grandbaby due 10/10/11

#15 of 449 Old 08-19-2009, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

So nice to see everyone here!!!! :

Sometime in the last year dh and I both found large stashes of expired condoms which we had to throw out. Didn't know whether to laugh or cry, I can't imagine using birth control ever again. This is one of those stories I can only tell you guys.

I guess I didn't say my story (feels like you must all know it by now )

We have severe MFI, which we found out about after about 10 months of TTC. We were told our only chance was IVF w/ICSI. We did an IVF cycle in Jan 05, I had a m/c at around 7 weeks, did a FET that summer and had my dd in spring of 06. I had to wean her to try again. We did an IVF cycle last summer, I had a chemical pregnancy. Then starting in November, we did 3 FETs in a row (ya, for insane amounts of meds). All BFP's, obviously. I took a month off of meds and decided that even though we still had 2 embies frozen, I would rather do another fresh cycle before I get even older. So we transferred two day 5 blastocysts on August 1. We have 2 embies left from our last cycle and 5 frozen from this cycle. Now I am going for my second beta today to make sure things are proceeding as they should. Can you imagine just POAS and then chugging along knowing you are pregnant and not getting any other tests? So hard to imagine, my whole experience with TTC has been so medically monitored. Next after this b/w will be the u/s of course.

I feel barfy again today : Boobs still sore, still tired. All good.

I was reading the exercise thread in the April DDC and I actually started to feel bad for not having been exercising more. Then I remembered, oh ya, my ovaries were the size of grapefruits a couple of weeks ago and I was terrified that I would get OHSS, that's why I haven't been running and doing ab workouts.

Juliasmom, are you super uncomfortable? (And feeling like you shouldn't ever complain?) Hope you are okay.

I know what you mean njsummer01, I go for my second beta today. But then I'll be waiting for the u/s, then worrying about getting out of the 1st tri, etc etc. I am trying to just enjoy it all the way along, hard though.

Back with my beta update tomorrow!!

#16 of 449 Old 08-19-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrunningmama View Post
I feel barfy again today : Boobs still sore, still tired. All good.

Juliasmom, are you super uncomfortable? (And feeling like you shouldn't ever complain?) Hope you are okay.
Barfy is great!

I'm uncomfortable, but not super uncomfortable. It just surprised me how much sooner I'd slow down and how big I'd get. Last weekend I just went out and bought some new maternity dresses, as the shirts and pants won't last without that oh-so-beautiful strip of skin showing in-between. Regardless, I'm just thrilled to be pregnany and trying to enjoy each adn every moment. The kicks do almost make me cry. :

I'm so glad you started this thread! It's inspiring to read about all of us strong women who have survived the if roller-coaster and come out successful.

DD2 12/09 & DS1 12/09
#17 of 449 Old 08-19-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrunningmama View Post
Sometime in the last year dh and I both found large stashes of expired condoms which we had to throw out. Didn't know whether to laugh or cry, I can't imagine using birth control ever again. This is one of those stories I can only tell you guys.
I completely understand this. I was on BCPs for the first 5 years we were together... and after 3 years of ART I have to sit here and go WHY?WHY?WHY?! did we waste that time. I cleaned out the medicine cabinet in preparation for baby, and found 2 packs of BCPs in there (which I threw away)... so DH asked me what we were going to do after baby arrives (to avoid) and my answer was: absolutely nothing - ask me that when I'm pregnant with the next baby and we'll discuss options then. No way am I going to actively try to avoid again - what a waste of time and money that turned out to be.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#18 of 449 Old 08-19-2009, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
I completely understand this. I was on BCPs for the first 5 years we were together... and after 3 years of ART I have to sit here and go WHY?WHY?WHY?! did we waste that time. I cleaned out the medicine cabinet in preparation for baby, and found 2 packs of BCPs in there (which I threw away)... so DH asked me what we were going to do after baby arrives (to avoid) and my answer was: absolutely nothing - ask me that when I'm pregnant with the next baby and we'll discuss options then. No way am I going to actively try to avoid again - what a waste of time and money that turned out to be.
I'm with you sista! So...one good thing is dh doesn't have to worry about the snip and I don't have to keep track of cycles or worry about bc ever again.

DD2 12/09 & DS1 12/09
#19 of 449 Old 08-19-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia'sMom View Post
I'm with you sista! So...one good thing is dh doesn't have to worry about the snip and I don't have to keep track of cycles or worry about bc ever again.
Here too. It's a physical impossibility for us to conceive without IVF. A huge PITA for the past few year, but going forward - well, wahoo!!

The Pill always made me very nauseous, and yeah, I think of the months I was sick on the first few days of every pack when DH and I were "young", and all for naught. Ah well.

#20 of 449 Old 08-20-2009, 12:58 AM

i will be having a tubal...i can't chance that we will just go one and not get pg, especially with all the complications i have. i'm sort of relieved: no more surgeries to get me pg!!!

#21 of 449 Old 08-20-2009, 11:05 AM

Does anyone feel like they can't complain about their pregnancy, since we worked so hard to get pregnant? Sometimes I just feel so ungrateful when I'm in the midst of normal pregnancy discomfort. I am thrilled to be pregnant, but wish I felt more comfortable with expressing my discomfort. Does that even make sense?

DD2 12/09 & DS1 12/09
#22 of 449 Old 08-20-2009, 11:14 AM

My TTC journey started 10 years ago. It took a backseat through job issues and an adoption. When I finally started having regular periods in 2006 I began charting again and finally had an IUI to help with DH's less than ideal count.

So anyway, I'm at 34 weeks and am in the weird position of already being a mom during my first pregnancy. DD has had some sleep issues lately and I feel like I never get much downtime to just enjoy being pregnant.

I don't seem to mind complaining. I've said several times that adopting was easier. The legal professionals involved treated me with more respect than medical professionals.
#23 of 449 Old 08-20-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Does anyone feel like they can't complain about their pregnancy, since we worked so hard to get pregnant? Sometimes I just feel so ungrateful when I'm in the midst of normal pregnancy discomfort. I am thrilled to be pregnant, but wish I felt more comfortable with expressing my discomfort. Does that even make sense?
I did the first time, but I'm waaay over that now

It doesn't matter to me how hard I worked to get here. Frankly, I felt like total crap the first trimester and I don't care how grateful I should have been to get there LOL! There were even days *gasp* when I caught myself thinking "this wasn't worth it" (I was bordering on hyperemesis gravidarum for a while).

But of course I wouldn't say that on the Infertility forum. I even quite hate having my pregnancy timeline in my signature.

#24 of 449 Old 08-20-2009, 03:46 PM

I would like to join. I conceived ds on metformin + injectibles with an IUI. After he was two and a half, we sort of started, and once he was three we did temping but no meds (I did try herbs, homeopathy, low carbing, removing foods I thought I was sensitive to etc.), and kept at it the old fashioned way until I decided that on my 42nd birthday I was going back to an RE (with dh's encouragement). I did a clomid cycle (thin lining), femara, and had two IUI cycles last year (the first one ended in a m/c). We finally decided that even though IVF was more expensive, if we only did one it would be cheaper than several IUI cycles, so we did it, and I got my BFP! So here I am 43 and finally pregnant. Ds will be almost 7 when the baby is born, which bothers me but nothing can be done to turn back the clock.
gumby74, have you read up on MTFTHR and detox issues?

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#25 of 449 Old 08-20-2009, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
Exactly!!! During my 6 week postpartum check up after I had dd, the doc asked me what I was planning to use for birth control. I was like, are you kidding me???? For one thing, I had third degree tears, which she knew. I think they have to ask, so I said "I'll take my chances" and she said "okey-doke".
Quote:
Yes, it makes sense. I'm not complaining this time so far, but with dd I felt like I should be sweetness and light every moment. Even when I barfed. :

I posted this elsewhere, but my second beta was 6692, up from 211 last week. : I was confident, but I'm still relieved. Now the u/s......

#26 of 449 Old 08-21-2009, 08:48 AM

I am also pregnant after infertility. I am 12w5d with a singleton after an FET. This is our first and I never thought I would get here. I am so happy and thankful to be pregnant at last. I just heard the heart beat yesterday, 152 bpm! :

Mommy to Violet Kisori born 3/3/10
#27 of 449 Old 08-21-2009, 04:24 PM

congrats crazyrunningmama and sri radha!!!

#28 of 449 Old 08-21-2009, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Sri Radha, isn't it great that we're both here??? :

I feel barfy today, all I can think about is what I could eat that might make it better. Awesome to be having m/s, but shoot, I'm supposed to be getting stuff done.

How are you all???

#29 of 449 Old 08-21-2009, 07:54 PM

[QUOTE=Masel;14261892]So anyway, I'm at 34 weeks and am in the weird position of already being a mom during my first pregnancy. DD has had some sleep issues lately and I feel like I never get much downtime to just enjoy being pregnant.QUOTE]

I feel the exact same way! Our DS (adopted) is the light of my life, but a very busy almost-3 yr old, so I'm really trying to find time to enjoy and honor this process. I'm really concerned about how he'll transition to not being the baby anymore. I have mild OHSS and haven't been able to pick him up for 3 weeks now, which has been very difficult for him.

But I'm really happy that my beta went up well again today!! (153 - 797- and now 1820 on 21 DPO)

I wanted to ask you ladies what you did with any extra meds you had on hand. I have a lot left (follistim) and it just seems so wrong to throw it away when it's so expensive (it's got to be $700 worth left) but I don't know if there's any way to return it or what else to do with it.

SAHM to two amazing boys
8-21-05
#30 of 449 Old 08-21-2009, 09:34 PM

I have 1800 IUs of Follistim (doc over-ordered and I'd forgotten to tell her I still had meds left over from the IUI), and sure wish I could do something with it, but you aren't supposed to resell it.
I do kind of feel like I can't complain, but I do anyway. To some extent.
I will never use any form of birth control again, knowing that there is no way that I can get pregnant. I remember after ds the nurse asked me what form of bc we'd be using, and I lied and said condoms. I knew it didn't matter, because we hadn't used any for years and never got pregnant. This time it will be the same. I have three frozen embryos, but I've read that there is 0% chance of success with frozen embryos from women over 40 so I'm guessing we'll donate them to research. I know dh would never consent to ttc again he was barely in favor of this one.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page