Bifenthrin exposure in pregnancy. WWYD? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-28-2009, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know whether to post this in Family Safety, Mindful Home Management, or here-- so maybe I'll cross post if I don't get many replies.

We are house-sitting for my parents while they are out of the country. They are having an addition added to their house, and I just found out that the contractor ordered (and had applied!) a pest control treatment yesterday (with Baseline, active ingredient Bifenthrin (not, as I initially hoped, bisenthrin, which does not seem as bad). I haven't found much on line.

The questions:
1. should i go live with my inlaws for a while? I don't know if this will even do any good. I'm only 9.5 weeks. :
2. my parents have well-water, and the pump is just downhill from the application site. I was so happy not to be drinking chlorinated water.. here's another :
3. This was the initial treatment to the foundation. There will be two more. How long do I need to be away?

I am so disappointed about this. I have been trying so hard, and here it is in my backyard and in my water.

Aspiring to 1 Thessalonians 4:11.Wife to Dh, 2004. Mother to DD 3/07.
So thankful for our healthy baby boy, born Easter morning, 2010!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2009, 12:22 PM

First of all, I would not worry about the exposure that has already happened. You're very early in your pregnancy and it's unlikely to have done harm. It's not as if you were standing there while they sprayed it. and got direct contact with it. In fact, unless there is air exchange between the main house and the addition (and generally contractors try to seal them off), it's unlikely you got any exposure.

I also doubt the well water was contaminated. One of the reasons well water is so wonderful is because all those layers of ground act as a filter to filter out contaminants.

Are the other treatments to the foundation as well, or are they to interior building materials?

What is the air exchange like between the 2 sections of home?

If I were you, I would try to be away during spraying. But beyond that, unless air from the construction site is being taken directly into the living quarters, I don't think you have much exposure to worry about. This is my highly unprofessional opinion.

If you are worried, though, I wouldn't hesitate to stay somewhere else and drink bottled water.

slingboy.gifTaking care of 2 girls:energy.gifblahblah.gifb& a babyboy.gif born on his mama's birthday and a few chicken3.gif
Old 08-28-2009, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

THANK YOU for the quick reply!

As of yet, there is no air exchange (the wall between has not been knocked down yet). This was treatment solely to the foundation cement, I think. From what the pest control lady said, there will be another treatment when the brickwork has been completed and another to the finished structure. I will definitely plan to be out of the house for these.

I had already considered buying an at-sink filter for drinking water. Do you think this would be a good idea?

I did find an MSDS sheet that said bifenthrin is not classifiied as a teratogen, but it *is* toxic to the gut if swallowed. So I wasn't sure how careful I needed to be about drinking water.

Thank you again!

Mpp

Aspiring to 1 Thessalonians 4:11.Wife to Dh, 2004. Mother to DD 3/07.
So thankful for our healthy baby boy, born Easter morning, 2010!
Old 08-28-2009, 05:09 PM

I wouldn't rely on a tap filter. Surface water isn't getting into the well. If you're worried about it, drink bottled. Otherwise decide that the contaminants are not getting into the well and it's not going to be an issue for months if ever.

slingboy.gifTaking care of 2 girls:energy.gifblahblah.gifb& a babyboy.gif born on his mama's birthday and a few chicken3.gif

User Tag List