@#$%!!**&^% Leg cramps! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-01-2009, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Argh! I swear I get all the weird preggo symptoms. How do you deal with the debilitating nighttime leg cramps? I got them last time around, but this time they are sooner & worse. Some times I have to actually stand up to make them go away. Stupid calves.

I hate bananas, so that's not really an option. Not to mention last time DS demanded at least one banana be eaten by me a day and it didn't make a darn difference. I try to exercise & stay active, but nothing seems to help. Please give me your best tricks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2009, 01:14 AM

I would play around with potassium and calciun/magnesium supplement till I find balance back. For what I know it's'one of those missing or unbalance.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:15 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
For me, they are directly related to my calcium/magnesium supplement intake. When I forget to take mine for a few days, or am only taking them sporadically, I get the vicious leg cramps of doom.

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
Old 09-01-2009, 02:47 AM

I had them quite frequently with my last pg. This time around, I started cal/mag at about 28 weeks and haven't had a single one yet. I do notice that if I get lazy taking it, I have cramps threaten, like I almost get them, but not quite. If I stay on top of it, no problem.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:50 AM

I hate leg cramps too!! : I agree with PPs - try a calcium/magnesium supplement. It's been working for me this time around. Tends to give me the poops though -sorry TMI-but it does. My midwife says it's the magnesium. Definetly helps me though. I take it for a week until I'm sick of all the poo and then I take a few days off and start again. (It's not that bad-I just detest loose stools...again TMI-I know)

Liz ~wife to an amazing man~mama to 2 beautiful sons~trodding through babylon~ loving JAH~rainbow1284.gif

Old 09-01-2009, 02:54 AM

Another recommendation to find a good cal/mag supplement. I preferred the liquid supplements rather than the pill form.

Ivory, partner to Tom, mama to Ella (12/9/05), Alice (12/8/07), and our newest addition, Rebecca (4/1/10).
Old 09-01-2009, 11:28 AM

exact same thing happened to me with DS and Im pretty sure this time around too as Im feeling the early cramps in my calves. Someone told me the banana thing and I went to town on it with DS... those frozen chocolate bananas lol. I ate sooooo many I grossed myself out and swore never to eat another banana in my life!!! So I tried the calcium as well and nothing really seemed to work. Mostly just standing up would be my remedy in the middle of the night. I hate those suckers though... if you dont stand up fast enough in the nick of time you have to sit that painful cramp through. I had that happen once and I swore the muscle in my leg ripped off the bone! i was sore for about a week. sheesh.

BFPChart2.gif

Old 09-01-2009, 11:35 AM

From past experiences, I agree with the pp's but will also add that dehydration can cause some leg cramping so be sure to add enough fluids to your diet in addition to your supplements.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:56 PM

I'm having these (again) with this pregnancy. My midwife suggested taking supplements. I take potassium, magnesium and calcium. She was really worried about my calcium consumption, said it was very important to take that one, even if I didn't take the others. I added the calcium on Saturday (was already taking the other two) and haven't had leg cramps since. There has been some tightening, but no full on cramps.

Mama of three.

Old 09-01-2009, 05:12 PM

Too much magnesium can lead to kidney stones. How about eating more greens? Chard is full of magnesium.

Mom since Oct'09. Wife to a loving husband. Expecting a little bean in May'12

Old 09-01-2009, 05:13 PM

another vote for liquid cal/mag. Take it before bed.

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
Old 09-01-2009, 06:45 PM

I've had horrific leg cramps this time too. I actually woke up screaming the other morning because I couldn't flex my feet--DH had to push against my feet to force them to flex again!?!

I haven't had any luck with supplements, but taking a walk everyday has really helped cut down on them.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:15 PM

They are terrible!!

The made me kind of hysterical too. I was feeling really calm and prepared for labour this time around until I had one of those calf cramps last week. It hurt so much that I screamed and writhed and had to have my husband push on my foot to help it.

Afterwards I seriously quaked for an hour contemplating how much a cramp is like a contraction and I was going to have to endure more than one to get this baby out! Yikes.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
yeah, they totally suck. I gets lots of exercise and eat a good amount of mag and cal and still I get the suckers. I've been noticing that they tend to come on when I get overtired. So I had a really tiring day yesterday and last night I was awoken at 4am with a nasty one. I never get them when I'm not pregn. coconut water is also a good source of mag and pot.

mama to Rassa, born 12/9/09
Old 09-01-2009, 08:35 PM

calcium can help with the leg cramps. also, make sure you are staying hydrated. personally, i've found that wearing leg warmers at nights helps keep away the awful middle of the night calf cramps.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonmama79 View Post
I hate leg cramps too!! : I agree with PPs - try a calcium/magnesium supplement. It's been working for me this time around. Tends to give me the poops though -sorry TMI-but it does. My midwife says it's the magnesium. Definetly helps me though. I take it for a week until I'm sick of all the poo and then I take a few days off and start again. (It's not that bad-I just detest loose stools...again TMI-I know)
Increasing your calcium ratio might help, if you want to keep up the magnesium without the bowel issues.

I'm only 11 weeks, and taking lots of calcium/magnesium. No cramps yet, and hoping to stay that way!

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
Old 09-01-2009, 11:53 PM

holy sh*t they hurt. i do not like them at all.

Lauren

bellycast.gif 

Old 09-02-2009, 02:02 PM

I experenced these with my second. My midwife had me take calcium magnesium and they never happened again. If your body needs something, it will let you know.

Mom to Zolan 10-10-06 and Silas 7-10-08, wife to Ben since 12-1-06
Old 09-02-2009, 02:23 PM

I got them with my 1st pg'cy - not so much this time - but anytime I do, a BIG sip of water usually takes it RIGHT away. Someone told me to try that - and it totally works. HTH

*Meghan* - Mom to Sam (5/14/08) and Joseph Scott born 9/10/09! and wife to amazing hubby Mike : ! WE LOVE OUR : FAMILY!
Old 09-02-2009, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

hmm..thanks! I'll have to check to see if my calcium (which I haven't been taking has magnesium too. I've only been taking my prenatal every other day on my mw's rec, but I forget that it doesn't have all the calcium I need. I'll have to start adding it in again!
Old 09-02-2009, 04:40 PM

Exercise and hydration definitely helps me not have any. And man, I hate them so much too, hopefully you can get them to go away!

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

Old 09-02-2009, 08:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I take this cal/mag/zinc supplement mixed with OJ as it's the only one I've found that tastes halfway decent...

That pretty much took care of the leg cramps. Before I took that - watch out! Lord those suckers hurt!:
Old 09-02-2009, 08:26 PM

I totally feel your pain!!!

For me I found that as soon as I feel it coming on flexing my foot back and forth (pointing as if on tiptoes, then stretching it back as if I were standing) really helped. I did bananas too for a bit, but got sick of eating one every single day :s Since I've been doing this I haven't been getting them nearly as often (used to be once, twice a night for awhile).

GOOD LUCK!
Old 09-03-2009, 12:26 PM

Just thought I'd add...

My midwife said that soft drinks deplete phosphorus and can cause them. I don't drink them and take magnesium (not calcium, because I eat a ton of dairy). I had leg cramps the last 2 nights...

User Tag List