Unisom experience anyone? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-03-2009, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi- I am almost 12 weeks and I have been taking half a unisom with b6 at night. it definitely helps a bit- at least allowing me to sleep. I am worried about withdrawal and dependence. I am usually a no drug kind of person but the ms with this pg is just terrible. I would love to hear from moms who used it and how/when you stopped. TIA!
#2 of 9 Old 09-03-2009, 06:19 PM

I don't think you're likely to notice major withdrawal symptoms, except that you may have some pregnancy related insomnia that you didn't notice before. But that's not necessarily the unisom, more likely your hormones. If you do have trouble sleeping, you might not want to take your b-vitamins at bedtime, they tend to be energy boosters.

slingboy.gifTaking care of 2 girls:energy.gifblahblah.gifb& a babyboy.gif born on his mama's birthday and a few chicken3.gif
#3 of 9 Old 09-03-2009, 06:38 PM

I did the Unisom/B6 thing during the first trimester when I was SO miserably sick that I couldn't keep anything down. I took 1/2 a Unisom with a B6 in the evening for about 4 or 5 weeks in a row. Usually I would start to feel green again before the next night's dose. But when that feeling started to fade, I started skipping the pills just to see if my nausea and vomitting were going away on their own. I'd say there was about a week where I'd be able to skip a day without feeling sick, then it would return. Sometimes I'd just do a 1/4 pill, etc. After that, the sickies went away, I stopped taking the unisom completely and never had any issues with not being able to sleep. (Until about 2 weeks ago when my heartburn became 24/7 and my belly became too large to find any comfortable position...heh)
#4 of 9 Old 09-03-2009, 06:50 PM

I actually kept the unisom\B6 combo up every night through my whole pregnancy last time. I slept so well and felt so much better than I did with my other two pregnancies. I know that not everyone would be comfortable doing that but it worked out very well for me.

~ Amy

#5 of 9 Old 09-03-2009, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

thanks!!
#6 of 9 Old 09-03-2009, 07:44 PM

I've been taking Unisom+B6 throughout the day and at night for the last month or so (6-10 weeks). I just stopped yesterday and haven't had any withdrawl problems. I feel more energetic during the day, obviously, but no sleep issues. And I'm still sick -- I just didn't feel like it was really helping me any more. I'm not constantly nauseous, but I'm still throwing up and have periods of nausea. Luckily, I've got Zofran to get me through the really bad times.

Jen, former sys admin and current geek , wife to DH , SAHM and Montessori homeschool teacher to DD "Nugget" (05/07) and new arrival DS "Sprout" (03/31/10)
#7 of 9 Old 09-03-2009, 10:50 PM

I am 27 weeks pregnant with my first and I have taken 1/2 to one full Unisom every single night since I was about 7 weeks pregnant. This is simply the only way I have avoided vomiting every single day.

The few times that I have forgotten to take the Unisom I have really regretted the following day. The last time I didn't take it was about a month ago; I wound up vomiting all over myself as I was driving to my office after picking up my lunch across town. Not fun at all. So I have learned my lesson, and I anticipate taking Unisom until after I deliver.
#8 of 9 Old 09-04-2009, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori1604 View Post
I am 27 weeks pregnant with my first and I have taken 1/2 to one full Unisom every single night since I was about 7 weeks pregnant. This is simply the only way I have avoided vomiting every single day.

The few times that I have forgotten to take the Unisom I have really regretted the following day. The last time I didn't take it was about a month ago; I wound up vomiting all over myself as I was driving to my office after picking up my lunch across town. Not fun at all. So I have learned my lesson, and I anticipate taking Unisom until after I deliver.

Amen. I was just going to say the same thing. I have even tried two or three times now to NOT take it and see how I do. NOT a good idea. I can't even brush my teeth the next day without wanting to barf. I start feeling just as icky as I did before I discovered the B6+Unisom trick. At this point, I'm just going to keep taking them until I deliver and be content with it. I don't feel dependent on the drug, I am just dependent on it's results to get me through a day without puking my brains out, lol.

SAHM to my sweet girl born in fall 2009

#9 of 9 Old 09-04-2009, 03:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've been taking Unisom since about 6 weeks this time around, and at 33 weeks am still taking it. I tried quitting around 20 weeks when DH went out of town and I thought it would be better to be not-drugged at night, but that resulted in 2 days of nonstop puking. So that was a no-go. But with DD I was on Zofran my whole pregnancy and hyperemetic in spite of it, so I'm not really surprised I'm still taking the Unisom this time around. I was able to give up Zofran about 25 weeks and just continue with Unisom, which is a bonus to me.

Erin, mom to DD (1/06) and DS (10/09)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page