Tapioca brain, anyone? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 02-05-2004, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, it's certainly settled in. My brain has, seemingly overnight, acquired the consistancy of tapioca. It is slowly leaking out of my ears. I can't remember anything. I lose my train of thought in the middle of sentences. When I put something down, even if it's right in front of me I can't find it again, often for hours. I'm slowly going insane.... This is definately a side effect of pregnancy for me, and it's my least favorite. I even prefer itchy belly and sciatica. Oh well, at least I don't burst into constant tears this pregnancy, although I did watch the last half hour of "Fly Away Home" the other day and I was crying so hard that my son climbed up and gave me a kiss and a hug to make me feel better. He's such a love!

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#2 of 10 Old 02-05-2004, 05:42 PM

You certainly are not the only one.

I have to run in the house at least twice every monring on my way to work. I'll forget things like my purse, keys, lunch, even socks!

I have to stay away from TV, I cry way too easy now-a-days. Even reading things in the paper gets me teary.

I just remember the reason my brain is jell-o is because it takes more concentration building a baby than mamaging my life. :smile

hopefully it'll get better!!
good luck!
#3 of 10 Old 02-05-2004, 11:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Rynna-
you and i seem to have the same pregnancy symptoms! i notced the brain leakage happened about 2 weeks ago..now i cant remember anything, not even my own age, or my husband's birthday! i keep losing things..like yesterday- i bought a new broom, old one broke..i used it .then today i couldnt find it anywhere! it took 30 min of looking and me deciding the nieghbors must have stole it, to find it right where i left it the day before...
:
i remember reading somewhere -cant remeber specifics though!- that in the last trimester you give the baby alot of something that comes from salmon and things like that and thats why you have the pregnancy and postpartum dumdums...the thing i read recomended taking fish oil capsles (the kind that are mercury free) to help yourself not lose your brain..i bought some before i even knew i was preggo and ie tryed taking them 3 times, everytime i threw them up! the last time i tried was more than a month ago, so i think ill try again....hope it helps, cause i am annoying myself!

mdcblog5.gif   Liz mama to DS 10, DSS 9, DD 6, DS 3, DD 2 , Aquila- dec 19th 2009 died at my homebirth, and....welcome Willow born 9-16-10 (9 weeks early)  nut.gif
#4 of 10 Old 02-06-2004, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, omega-3 fatty acids, that's what they are. : You know, there's a new kind of Silk (soy milk) that's fortified with them.. much tastier alternative to fish oil capsules!

Now if only I can remember this when I go to the grocery store... ah, who am I kidding! : :LOL

#5 of 10 Old 02-06-2004, 03:56 PM

oh man, i threw up those fish capsules once... NASTY!

but by the third trimester, i should be able to keep 'em down. i'll try to remember, too!

(maybe write a letter to my future self... except where would i put it and not lose it? oh well!)

katje (who is also having a lovely case of tapioca head)
#6 of 10 Old 02-06-2004, 04:11 PM

ahahaha. This cracks me up. I'm lucky if what I have left for brains is a chunky as tapioca. Man... mine's as leaky as plain runny vanilla. I love the letter to your future self!!!

I've been taking the fish oil capsules (and it's during the time I have them in my hands that I'm most popular with my cats - hehe) and I do see a bit of a difference - but in general my concentration level has gone down the toilet. (I'm 25 weeks). I can't imagine throwing them up though. UG. It's hard enough getting those suckers down (I have to look at it for about 5 minutes before I can get it down) never mind having them come back up. Bleh.

I was in the middle of teaching a pilates class last weekend and I completely, I mean COMPLETELY forgot how to do a particular movement. It was just GONE. Ah well. Came back to me about 3 days later. Good grief. haha

I do make a LOT of lists - for everything and try to keep it all in one spot.
#7 of 10 Old 02-06-2004, 05:01 PM

I like your name for it eilonwy, tapioca brain:LOL
Yup, I've got it too. I used to obsess about deep intellectual ideas during every waking moment. HA! Pregnancy sure took care of that. I'm lucky if I can just function now.
#8 of 10 Old 02-07-2004, 11:59 AM

I haven't been nearly as foggy with this pregnancy. It's more like cotton fuzz wrapped around my brain, instead of a complete absence of brain activity!

I've been taking my flax seed oil every day for a while now. Maybe that's helping! I also read that babies whose mothers ate enough Omega 3 oils SLEPT better!! I've been mixing flax seed oil in everything! Yogurt, smoothies, cottage cheese (that was nasty, I must say).
#9 of 10 Old 02-07-2004, 12:47 PM

*Ok, I had to type this post twice because it was so rambly and made little sense. :LOL *

So yes, I do get fuzzy when pregnant. For me, it is worst in the first few weeks or pregnancy and the last few. I can't type. I can't talk. My husband normally refers to me as a left-brained word fetishist, but during pregnancy I am lucky to get out any three-syllable words when I talk. :

I agree, it is one of the more annoying pregnancy side effects. We aren't telling people we're pregnant for a while, so I fear people may be secretly talking about me - saying, "Have you talked to Katie lately?!? What's wrong with her?!"
#10 of 10 Old 02-07-2004, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Lucysmama
[B..."Have you talked to Katie lately?!? What's wrong with her?!" [/B]
That's how I felt when I first got pregnant! :LOL It was hilarious, people kept assuming that I was high. "Wow, you must be on some really good stuff, where can I get some?" I had to laugh and say "I don't think you want any of this!" : :LOL :

(I love the : smiley! I've got to put it in my sig! : )

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page