Bacterial Vaginosis in pregnancy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 09-06-2009, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Long story short, I have a BV infection. Has anyone been treated during pregnancy?

Wife to my of 10 years, SAHM to my 2 beautiful homebirthed girls Sydney (4/29/2006) Kennedy (3/21/2010) & 1 super Newfoundland
#2 of 18 Old 09-06-2009, 08:49 PM

I had BV during my first pregnancy. My OB prescribed cream suppositories that I inserted at night for a few nights. Never had any issues from it, never had it again.

jamie. crinkly (not quite crunchy) mama to 3 amazing little girls, an awesome little boy, and a baby girl making her debut at the end of this summer.

#3 of 18 Old 09-06-2009, 08:49 PM

I'm pretty sure both treatments they normally use, metronidazole and clindamycin are safe during pregnancy. My friend used metronidazole tablets during her second pregnancy and she was just fine.

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

#4 of 18 Old 09-06-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelpie545 View Post
I'm pretty sure both treatments they normally use, metronidazole and clindamycin are safe during pregnancy. My friend used metronidazole tablets during her second pregnancy and she was just fine.
I actually think they avoid Flagyl (metornidazole) in pregnancy. But BV is totally treatable in pregnancy. I got them constantly with my first 2, but have avoided it so far this time (don't ask what I'm doing differently, I have no idea). See you care provider and get something.

slingboy.gifTaking care of 2 girls:energy.gifblahblah.gifb& a babyboy.gif born on his mama's birthday and a few chicken3.gif
#5 of 18 Old 09-06-2009, 11:48 PM

I never got diagnosed, but I'm pretty sure I had BV during my second pregnancy...all the symptoms certainly added up. Treated it with a garlic clove suppository overnight, and it was GONE by the next day. Amazing.

(Be sure to sew a thread onto the clove, so you can get it out afterward! )

read.gifSarah ~ wild.gifds X 12/05 ~ flower.gifdd E 3/08 h20homebirth.gif  ~  stork-suprise.gif 7/12 dizzy.gif

#6 of 18 Old 09-07-2009, 03:15 AM - Thread Starter

Hello! Thank you for responding!! I was diagnosed & px the suppositories, but some "Google Research" yeilded that the metornidazole suppositories only had a 75% cure rate (opposed to 90% with oral) & did not affect the potential adverse effects of BV on pregnancy (preterm labor, low birth weight, PROM etc). Anyway - that's what made me "curious."

I am SO relieved to hear no one experienced complications as a result! : Ugggh!

Wife to my of 10 years, SAHM to my 2 beautiful homebirthed girls Sydney (4/29/2006) Kennedy (3/21/2010) & 1 super Newfoundland
#7 of 18 Old 09-07-2009, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carley View Post
Hello! Thank you for responding!! I was diagnosed & px the suppositories, but some "Google Research" yeilded that the metornidazole suppositories only had a 75% cure rate (opposed to 90% with oral) & did not affect the potential adverse effects of BV on pregnancy (preterm labor, low birth weight, PROM etc). Anyway - that's what made me "curious."

I am SO relieved to hear no one experienced complications as a result! : Ugggh!
Yeah, I unfortunately got BV. At first I was given the suppositories, but I researched it too and got freaked out about my amniotic fluid possibly being infected and the suppositories not being able to kill off an infection that high, plus I was already at risk for preterm labor and was having contractions very early. I asked my normal doctor about it, and she gave me the pills, which she said is what she normally does anyway for pregnant women. I absolutely hate taking medicine during pregnancy, but sometimes you just gotta do it! I've made it another thirteen weeks without any issues related to the BV, phew. I get really stressed out about anything unusual that happens in pregnancy!
#8 of 18 Old 09-07-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanaduMama View Post
I never got diagnosed, but I'm pretty sure I had BV during my second pregnancy...all the symptoms certainly added up. Treated it with a garlic clove suppository overnight, and it was GONE by the next day. Amazing.

(Be sure to sew a thread onto the clove, so you can get it out afterward! )
This. But I don't bother with the thread. And it took at least 3 nights, but certainly relief on the first clove.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#9 of 18 Old 09-07-2009, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

freckledgirl I'm so glad I'm not the only one freaked out Ugh!

My midwife sugested I start the topical treatment & go from there. I did my dose last night (& totally crashed! Side effect city!), but my gut is still telling me oral would be better. I'll call her again today - thank you for giving me courage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASusan View Post
This. But I don't bother with the thread. And it took at least 3 nights, but certainly relief on the first clove.
^Did you have BV or a yeast infection?

I've used garlic for yeast infections, but BV is totally different & can cause a lot of complications in pregnancy. I'm also in a lot of pain (pelvic pain, not the "itchy burny" pain of a yeast infection) & the idea of leaving a clove of garlic "up there" gives me shivers.

#10 of 18 Old 09-07-2009, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

I requested the oral antibiotic : Thanks frecklegirl - you'd think I'd be able to go on gut alone, but sometimes the support of someone else tips the scale

#11 of 18 Old 09-07-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
^Did you have BV or a yeast infection?

I've used garlic for yeast infections, but BV is totally different & can cause a lot of complications in pregnancy. I'm also in a lot of pain (pelvic pain, not the "itchy burny" pain of a yeast infection) & the idea of leaving a clove of garlic "up there" gives me shivers.
I've used garlic for both. The garlic works best for me than any other natural treatment.

coolshine.gifSHINE!  Yogini.  My tuna girlgoldfish.gif  Partner to Dteapot2.GIF  Our little flower is herelove.gif/surpriseuc.jpg
#12 of 18 Old 09-07-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:
I requested the oral antibiotic : Thanks frecklegirl - you'd think I'd be able to go on gut alone, but sometimes the support of someone else tips the scale
I'm glad you're feeling good about your health care choices. I always wonder what people did before the internet! I'm not sure I had even heard of BV before I got it, much less the complications it's associated with. Wishing you a healthy and happy pregnancy from here on out!
#13 of 18 Old 09-07-2009, 09:31 PM

Garlic works for both--mine was definitely BV, not yeast (fishy smell, the whole works . It's a powerful antibiotic.

I agree that BV can be serious and should be treated; if the natural remedies don't work, then by all means get the pills. But I always like to try the natural approach first.

read.gifSarah ~ wild.gifds X 12/05 ~ flower.gifdd E 3/08 h20homebirth.gif  ~  stork-suprise.gif 7/12 dizzy.gif

#14 of 18 Old 09-07-2009, 09:41 PM

i had it very early on in my pregnancy. my doctor wouldn't treat it until after 12wks. did the flagyl and all is well.

good to know about the garlic though!! i tend to get yeast and BV often, so i'd like to try something more natural.

D, wife to an awesome man, mommy to 2 awesome boys!!
#15 of 18 Old 09-08-2009, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanaduMama View Post
I agree that BV can be serious and should be treated; if the natural remedies don't work, then by all means get the pills. But I always like to try the natural approach first.
So here's the long part of the story. My urine came up + for a UTI a little over a week ago, so my midwife had me drinking 1qt cranberry juice/day (Uhhh + probiotics.

A few days ago I started having painful symptoms. Kept on with the cranberry & probiotics. We went camping & it got progressively worse. On our way home I was in so much pain I had my husband take me to the ER to get some antibiotics (it was Sunday, doc office closed Mon = no antibiotics until Tue)

That's when it came about I don't have a UTI, I have a pelvic infection. I imagine if I would have known it was a pelvic infection and treated it with garlic a week ago it might have cleared up.

Anyway! Yes! WTH did people do before the Internet!??! I hadn't heard of it before either

#16 of 18 Old 09-08-2009, 12:23 PM

I had one towards the beginning of my pregnancy with dd. It was no biggie. I think I took some kind of oral med for it, but that was before I really started scrutinizing doctor hand-outs so I can't say for sure that it's the method I would use now, but certainly nothing ever came of it (other than the BV going away ).

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!
#17 of 18 Old 09-09-2009, 03:16 PM

I had it in my first pregnancy...had some vaginal suppositories for a few days and it went away. I think with the last application I had a little bit of bleeding from inserting the tube thing (sorry, brain freeze on what it's called), but all was well after that!

Mama to (5/04), : (8/05), : (6/07) & : (1/10)
since 7/02 :
#18 of 18 Old 09-10-2009, 10:33 AM

I had it during my first pregnancy. I was asymptomatic and treated with Flagyl. No problems and I've never had it since.

Mama to Finn (04/05) Arlo (04/07) and Henry (04/10)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page