Tamiflu during pregnancy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 09-13-2009, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I went to the emergency room last night. I was severely dehydrated, I have the flu and an intestinal virus. The doctor prescribed me Tamiflu, but I'm scared to take it. It's a category C product, not tested on pregnant women, but their website states "TAMIFLU is normally not recommended for use during pregnancy or nursing, as the effects on the unborn child or nursing infant are unknown" and "FDA pregnancy category C. This medication may be harmful to an unborn baby." But my doctor tells me he recommends I take it, so I don't get worse...What should I do?
#2 of 18 Old 09-13-2009, 12:42 AM

that is a really hard place to be.

I would have a serious discussion with your doctor, and let him know that typically tamiflu only shortens the illness by a day or two. So does it really prevent you from getting worse? I guess that is a day or two of not losing fluids/ having stuff build up in the lungs, but honestly, it might be better to be in a hospital where they can keep your fluids up/monitor you and give you breathing treatments rather then risk taking a drug you are not comfortable with that might not really help you all the much.

Did the ER doctor prescribe the tamiflu? Have you spoken with you OB/midwife/regular doctor about it? I would call the on-call personu *now*, because this is certainly an emergency IMO--if you haven't spoken with your regular care provider yet.

s

let us know how it goes and what you decide!

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

#3 of 18 Old 09-13-2009, 12:45 AM

So sorry you are feeling bad.

For me, I would not take it. I don't think the risks are worth the potential "shortening" of symptoms. But, I don't tell anyone else what to take. It should never be taken lightly.

I hope you feel better soon.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#4 of 18 Old 09-13-2009, 03:47 AM

I thought tamiflu only worked if you took it at the first sign of symptoms? it sounds like you are knee deep in your sickness, so it may not even be worth the stress. I hope you are feeling better soon.

Oh, and I just googled for the heck of it and came up with this article. I don't know what to make of it, but it is something I hadn't heard before: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...sh-policy.html

Ivory, partner to Tom, mama to Ella (12/9/05), Alice (12/8/07), and our newest addition, Rebecca (4/1/10).
#5 of 18 Old 09-13-2009, 10:33 AM

Oh no, I would not take that personally, especially while pregnant.

I had the most terrible flu earlier this year when I was in my first trimester (swine flu? I don't know, it was right at the beginning of the stories about it, but all of the symptoms fit). I also developed a bacterial complication, a really bad sinus infection with it so I went to the doctor- not something I would normally do, but at that point I was actually fantasizing about being in the hospital!

They gave me azithromycin (Z-pack) for that. Everything I could find about it said that there is no evidence of harm to fetuses, but I worried like hell about taking anything. I'm due in a week and a half, and I still worry that the antibiotics have harmed the baby. I wish I'd never taken it, because it wasn't worth the stress- it didn't work anyway! They said it would knock it out in a day or two at most, and I was still severely ill for 5 days.

I was reading that the side effects of Tamiflu can be very bad for some people, too.

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

#6 of 18 Old 09-13-2009, 10:37 AM

My DD got the flu, tested positive, and I was getting the earliest symptoms. I called my OB and she said Tamiflu WAS NOT SAFE for pregnant women.

If you've had the flu long enough that you're dehydrated, it's not going to help you. Plus, my kids took it, and they each vomited twice after each dose for the 1st 2 days, which is the only time they vomited with the flu.

So, no, I would not take it at this point, especially if you're already dehydrated. Up your Vitamin C and D intake to 1000 mg daily and rest instead. Elderberry really helps with flu too.

slingboy.gifTaking care of 2 girls:energy.gifblahblah.gifb& a babyboy.gif born on his mama's birthday and a few chicken3.gif
#7 of 18 Old 09-13-2009, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Hi, and thanks! The er doctor is the one who told me to take it, but I talked to my OB who told me that I should too. However, I'm feeling a little bit better than yesterday, so I think I'm not going to take it. (Unless I get worse I guess) I don't think I could survive these next 15 weeks being all paranoid that something happened to my baby. Thanks for your help!
#8 of 18 Old 09-14-2009, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, I'm feeling even worse than I was, so I called my doctor and everyone is telling me I need to take the Tamiflu, so I'm going to take it...I pray nothing happens.
#9 of 18 Old 09-14-2009, 12:02 PM

but it only works if you take it in the first 48 hours...

slingboy.gifTaking care of 2 girls:energy.gifblahblah.gifb& a babyboy.gif born on his mama's birthday and a few chicken3.gif
#10 of 18 Old 09-14-2009, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaMommy View Post
but it only works if you take it in the first 48 hours...
The doctor says it's the most effective in the first 48 hrs, but will help even after that...
#11 of 18 Old 09-14-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channelle View Post
Ok, I'm feeling even worse than I was, so I called my doctor and everyone is telling me I need to take the Tamiflu, so I'm going to take it...I pray nothing happens.
Get better!

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

#12 of 18 Old 09-14-2009, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Jumping in here....I would NOT take it. Research it some more. Maybe you could go to a ND in your area. The risks are not worth it, especially the unknown risks to an unborn baby.

Happily married and unschooling 5 kiddos born Oct. 2004, July, 2007, July, 2009, Oct. 2010, Nov. 2012 
#13 of 18 Old 09-14-2009, 02:22 PM

They say the benefits outweigh the risks for pregnant women, but they don't even know what the risks are.
#14 of 18 Old 09-14-2009, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmel23 View Post
Get better!
Lol, OK! I'll do my best.

Ok, you guys convinced me. I got rid of Tamiflu, and stocked up on more elderberry.
#15 of 18 Old 09-14-2009, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayndrewsmama View Post
They say the benefits outweigh the risks for pregnant women, but they don't even know what the risks are.
Yeah, I find it very interesting that they say this, too. Sounds just like a doctor.

#16 of 18 Old 09-14-2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:

Ok, you guys convinced me. I got rid of Tamiflu, and stocked up on more elderberry.
I am glad! I do hope you begin to feel better soon. From what I have heard it runs through in just a few days or so (never had it so I don't really know). But if it does, perhaps you are about one the end side.

#17 of 18 Old 11-04-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:

Hi, just wondering how it went? Are you feeling better?

Mom to DD born 1989 DS born 1993 and grandma to
DGS born 2005
#18 of 18 Old 11-04-2009, 04:28 PM

My best friend is a very mainstream ER doc and I asked her about the flu the other day and she said Tamiflu only shortens symptoms by a half a day and it's very expensive, so she is not rxing it to many people.

I wouldn't take it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page