Non-traditional baby shower thoughts/ideas? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 09-13-2009, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My mom is planning a baby shower for me next month, but I have many friends in my old college town (about two hours away) who won't be able to make the drive up. So, I'm thinking of just planning my own little gathering/get-together with those friends down there sometime in November.

I'm really not much for all of the games and stuff that are usually planned for baby showers. Would it be weird to send out baby shower invitations (with "shower" crossed off and "well-wishing" or something written in instead) and not have anything planned... just have some snacks, cupcakes/cake, and drinks and spend the afternoon chatting (since we haven't seen each other in months)? Or should I try to plan *some* kind of activity?
#2 of 10 Old 09-13-2009, 09:33 PM

I think you could have a non-traditional shower with non-traditional games of some sort. You could do henna belly painting or something else that's more your style. I would do something, though, otherwise it's just you opening presents and that's a little tacky.

I just found out that my friends are throwing me a shower. I'm going to ask them to do a 2nd hand or hand made thing supporting Etsy moms and thrift shops instead of all commercial and all, and I can imagine doing all kinds of fun things on the hand theme, maybe everyone will outline their hand in henna on my belly...oooh, good idea!!!

slingboy.gifTaking care of 2 girls:energy.gifblahblah.gifb& a babyboy.gif born on his mama's birthday and a few chicken3.gif
#3 of 10 Old 09-13-2009, 09:41 PM

I think a hanging-out party that is explicitly not a shower is a lovely idea, especially if you are eager to catch up with old friends who know each other. Who says you need games? And you don't need to open presents in front of everyone either.
#4 of 10 Old 09-13-2009, 10:24 PM

I don't see anything wrong with just hanging out. That's what we did at the baby shower for my 1st. We ate, drank and just hung out. Plus it was co-ed, so DH was there and some of his friends were too. Totally non traditional, but perfect nonetheless.
#5 of 10 Old 09-13-2009, 11:02 PM

oh sure - you can call it a diaper party, celebration of life, one friend had it in a bar (she was the first one prego) - my family just had a huge family/co-ed party with an aloha theme (my fav was the guys doing the baby bottle beer chug)

do what you like!!! have FUN!

: wife to DH, mom to DD (2004) DS (2005) DS (2007) DS (2009)

#6 of 10 Old 09-13-2009, 11:47 PM

You may want to consider a Blessing Way. It is a ceremony that honors the mother. I had one today and have been "high" on all the support that I got from my friends regarding my birth. If you Google it you will get a ton of information on it. It was really with only my closest friends and people who I knew would honor my strongest desires for a healthy birth and a healthy baby.

I only had 12 people - and when I had my showers with my first baby I had 2 showers (dh family separate from my family) with about 40 people each. Seemed fun to get lots of presents, but once the baby comes there is only a finite percentage of those people that continue to support you.

I loved my blessing way because it is a way to bring woman together in a community to support birth. You generally don't have a blessing way until you are close to giving birth... I am 37 1/2 weeks.

Kristy
#7 of 10 Old 09-14-2009, 12:44 AM

My sister is planning a Baby-Que for her friend who is anti-shower games! All of my showers have been given to me by church members, so there's a wide variety of ages, and a mix men/women/kids. I'm not super keen on being the center of attention esp. if <gag me> games are involved, so it suits me just fine that the emphasis is always on food, conversation, and gifts....then more food and more conversation!

My dream shower, however, is a freezer shower...anyway you could convince your friends to make it a potluck, everyone bring a dish to share, the recipe, and an extra one for your freezer? That would totally rock!

Sarah, Queen of Hearts, raising a Full House with Michael, King of my Heart!
DS (2/02), DD (3/04), DS (1/06), DD (12/07), and DS (3/10)
~~*~~Not your typical Pastor's Wife!~~*~~
#8 of 10 Old 09-14-2009, 12:58 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I don't think it's weird. I've had three (for 2 kids): Cookout with swimming at the lake, Bowling (I'm sure I looked funny with my 9 mo. belly), and a 'hand-me-down party' at a friends house. A great time was had by all and everyone was thrilled that they didn't have to play those #$%@ games! The closest we came was some bets placed on how many inches my belly was.
It's your shower, so IMO you can have it any way you want it!
#9 of 10 Old 09-14-2009, 10:21 AM

I wasn't so keen on the "traditional" shower either. I am having a shower, but I've asked that instead of playing typical shower games that people come prepared with a birth story, parenting memories, etc. to write on note cards for us. I plan on incorporating those into a memory book. Others are "throwing" it, but it's at our house so that people can see the nursery too.
#10 of 10 Old 09-14-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardust12 View Post
Would it be weird to send out baby shower invitations (with "shower" crossed off and "well-wishing" or something written in instead) and not have anything planned... just have some snacks, cupcakes/cake, and drinks and spend the afternoon chatting (since we haven't seen each other in months)? Or should I try to plan *some* kind of activity?
Lots of people don't like games, so I don't think it's weird. I've probably been to as many stagette/bridal/baby showers that don't have games as those that do. Pass around a journal for people to record their greetings and advice and a little afternoon champagne for the non-pregos and nobody will feel cheated. But I would really not send out something with shower crossed out, cause that just looks like you're trying too hard to be unconventional.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page