I accidentally ate mold... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-19-2009, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What should I do? It was on a piece of sourdough bread and when I took that bite I did swallow a bit of it before I tasted it and spit it out. Surprisingly I didn't throw up, when normal things I try to eat/smell make me puke, mold didn't??? Should I be worried about the baby? Anything I can/should do?

BTW: I'm just over 13weeks pg. Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2009, 04:34 PM

I wouldn't be worried or do anything special if this happened to me.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:12 PM

I will admit to picking off visible mold and eating the bread anyway.

No worries!

ETA- I mean, penicillin is mold-pee, right? And lots of preggos still get it (ie, it's the drug of choice for GBS). The idea is that mold = bad for mold ripened cheeses, but I think bread with a bit of mold on it isn't that big of deal.

Grace - wife to Jeff and mama to Nigella (11/08) and Orrin (01/10)- expecting a new addition (05/12)! Life is a whirlwind, but I'm learning to enjoy the ride!

Old 09-19-2009, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry, maybe that was a stupid question, I just thought growing fetus + mold wouldn't be a good thing....must have been wrong. Whew.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick&jonmom View Post
Sorry, maybe that was a stupid question, I just thought growing fetus + mold wouldn't be a good thing....must have been wrong. Whew.
hey, with the # of things you are not "supposed" to eat in pregnancy, it would be a logical leap that this is just one of the many many many many many things on that list.

don't worry, it's not stupid!

Grace - wife to Jeff and mama to Nigella (11/08) and Orrin (01/10)- expecting a new addition (05/12)! Life is a whirlwind, but I'm learning to enjoy the ride!

Old 09-19-2009, 08:41 PM

If you don't start vomiting, then you're probably fine. Small amount, no affect on you. Baby should be fine. If you spit it out you probably didn't really ingest it at all. The one time I ate bad bread (I didn't know it was bad until I got sick, but it tasted funny) I couldn't eat for a week, I was so sick and dehydrated I probably should have gone to the hospital.

slingboy.gifTaking care of 2 girls:energy.gifblahblah.gifb& a babyboy.gif born on his mama's birthday and a few chicken3.gif
Old 09-20-2009, 06:53 AM
Banned

As long as you don't have an allergy to mold (I do, ugh), then you and baby are fine. Don't worry.
Old 09-20-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astraia View Post
I will admit to picking off visible mold and eating the bread anyway.

No worries!

ETA- I mean, penicillin is mold-pee, right? And lots of preggos still get it (ie, it's the drug of choice for GBS). The idea is that mold = bad for mold ripened cheeses, but I think bread with a bit of mold on it isn't that big of deal.

I would not be worried about eating the mold at this point. If you are not sick by now, you are fine! I would be leary of eating bread with any mold on it int he future. You can't just pick the mold off the bread. It contains spores that run deep into the bread are sometimes not seen even by the eye. Cheese on the other hand you CAN just slice the mold off and the rest of the cheese doesn't have the mold spores running through it.

Mommy to one champagne.gif
Old 09-20-2009, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks all! I didn't throw up so I'll assume that everything is fine. Thanks for all the reassurance, and I'll inspect my food much better next time! I feel bad, I'd been giving ds peices of that bread for days...oops!

User Tag List