June Mommies Feb 8-14 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 66 Old 02-15-2004, 07:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I feel like it's flying too. I've got 16 weeks left. Gulp! My biggest stresser (regarding running out of time) is saving money. I'm going to have to take unpaid leave for 2 months and then I'm sure I won't be back up to full-speed with my at home work for quite some time. And it's been so hard to save anything!

I think I found a dresser for the baby this weekend. S/he will share a room with my DD (though sleep with us). Anyway, I found a very simple old chest of drawers that will fit in the room and tolerate a good coat of paint for $75. I've looked at all the local junk shops for the past two weeks and this seems to be the best quality piece I can find for the money. Something similar from the unfinshed furniture store was going to be $200. So, I'm sending DH to pick it up tomorrow.

Once we get the dresser painted, it's just a matter of unpacking all DD's hand-me-downs. I need to get another safety rail for my bed (dd is using the old one). But I've seen those at the local cosignement store. And I've got to order my birth kit.

Yes, it's flying. I'm getting panicky thinking about what's left to be done. So I'm going to stop now.
#62 of 66 Old 02-15-2004, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I haven't really done anything with the baby's room. We have a dresser, but the clothes are all piled in a box, and a crib, but no mattress. DD was a crib-sleeper almost from birth, but I might be able to co-sleep a little with the new one since dh and I have separate rooms, due to snoring issues. It hasn't been decorated at all; we're not doing paint or wallpaper, just some old Anne Geddes calendar photos.

I also have to do birth announcements (I decided to make them myself) and put together a birth kit.

I really hope this baby can be a week late. The due date is most inconvenient, so I plan on avoiding sex around the due date and lying in bed and eating a lot. (I hear well-nourished mothers tend to carry later.)
#63 of 66 Old 02-15-2004, 08:18 PM

You know, I'm kind of hoping this baby will be a little bit early, like a week. Not as early as Eli, who wasn't quite fully cooked, but not on time or late, because of where I plan to deliver. It's a long story, but if I go a week after my due date I'll probably get caught in traffic and spend much of labor, if not delivery, in a very hot car. Blech! Of course, I know better than to believe it will happen that way, so I'm trying to focus on a date two weeks later.. hm, maybe I should be on the July thread. :LOL

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#64 of 66 Old 02-15-2004, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Well, I haven't checked here for a couple days-miraculous for me. My boys had a three day vacation from work so we spent time together.

Valentine's Day-my dh cleaned house, I slept in, we made Texas toast french toast, and later I made my special cinnamon rolls. I made a baby quilt (I'll get to that later). It was sunny and relaxing and wonderful if not overly romantic.

Pregnancy-I found out with Tain when I was 8 weeks and didn't feel him until 22. So for me, I feel like this pregnancy will never end! I can't believe my belly is so little and I still have so far to go. Oddly enough, I've measured 2 weeks ahead at my last 2 appts, but I still feel like I look ridiculous in maternity shirts. It is kind of nice to experience a cute little belly. I was overweight with Tain, so it was no belly to huge belly, you know?

I've been thinking about the baby and what to do about a dresser. Honestly, I have no idea. Tain, Matt and I share a room that is 13x10, I think. There is no space in there for another dresser. There is no room in Tain's for them to share. Looks like it will go in the living room. We will be moving 2 months after the birth so I think we can get rid of a couple bookshelves to make room for it. Tain's dresser is a changing table/dresser that his grandpa made. I haven't decided if I am going to make it the baby's and give Tain a big boy dresser (even though he'll still be in diapers probably) or if I am going to try to have 2 types of diapers in it and leave it in the bedroom. Good thing I still have a while!

So the quilt...I had 30 pairs of 6" squares of the same fabric already cut (I was going to use them for wipes, then found that they weren't very absorbent despite being washed and flannel so I never made them). I also had 5 strips of white flannel for the same reason. So I made one of those flannel quilts with the seams out that you cut to make fuzzy. Anyway, the last thing we need is another baby blanket. But I can't decide what to do with it. Dh has a great aunt that made Tain a quilt but her health has really gone downhill and she can't sew anymore. So a part of me would like to keep it for the baby since he won't have one from Aunt Shirley. But we don't need any more baby blankets! I could send it to my sis, she's due in May with a boy, but I never made anything for her last baby (a girl) so I would need to make something for Emily as well and I'm lazy. So I don't know. Oh! Maybe I'll make Emily a doll, I wanted to make one for Tain anyway! Good idea, Julie!

I think Matt and I have decided that he won't be there for the birth. It is a bit of an explanation, let me know if you are interested, but the bottom line is that, while I feel like it is a good decision for us, I can't shake this feeling that the only dad that chooses to not be at his baby's birth is a bad dad. It makes me kind of angry, b/c I feel that our society teaches that to us. And really, I'm not so sure having men at births is all that great. I think it is important for them to understand, but the experience we had was, well, interesting. Matt went into protector mode, he didn't bond well with Tain in the beginning, he was tense and stressed and worried where a woman would not be. He never voiced any of that to me, he never said anything or did anything I can consider detrimental to my labor, but there was an undercurrent of fear that I couldn't do anything about. And really what have they to relate it to? So I guess I am looking for reassurance that we are not freaky, that we are not doing something wrong. Matt plans on being there until labor gets heavy, then leave with my bro (who lives with us) and Tain until the baby is born. Any thoughts?
#65 of 66 Old 02-15-2004, 10:49 PM

21 weeks today! It does seem to be going by much faster now. I found out I was pregnant 26 days into my cycle... so those first few weeks were really long.

We have the changing table set up in the living room now. I figure that's where I'll be most of the time so it makes sense to put it there. The "baby's room" is still full of boxes of stuff and all of the contents of our closet (currently being remodelled). We have a dresser in there for the baby's clothes, and we're getting a crib to use as a side car in our room.

I need to get busy and finish our bedroom remodelling soon so I can get the furniture all rearranged. And I have a stack of fabric that will eventually become clothes... need to pull out my sewing machine sometime this weeek...
#66 of 66 Old 02-15-2004, 11:34 PM

I started a new thread for the week: June Mamas Feb 15-21

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page