June Mommies Feb 8-14 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 66 Old 02-08-2004, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
AnaNicole-that story is hilarious! And I love his name, BTW.

Haven't had much to say. I never really had a peeing problem with Tain and so far so good with this one.

Matt woke up this morning and told me he felt Rowan kick last night while I was sleeping. I thought he said he saw a Roman cake last night. Hmmmm, sweet tooth anyone?

He also told me the other day "Um, I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but your butt is a lot smaller than it was last time." I thought it was pretty funny. And very true. In a weird way it made me feel very good about how this pg is going. I felt guilty most of my pg with Tain.

Started taking prenatals a few days ago. So far so good. I just felt I wasn't eating as well as I needed to in order to go without them the whole pg. Luckily they are not causing any intestinal problems yet so I am keeping my fingers crossed that I can take them the rest of the pregnancy.

Anyone else having trouble getting motivated? I cut out baby clothes weeks ago and still haven't sewn them. They are so easy, I don't know what my problem is.

Sleep is getting to be difficult. I am a total back sleeper and find sleeping exclusively on my side during pg to be really trying. Plus I have an awesome tempurpedic pillow for back sleepers so it is not working all that well and I wake with a cramp in my neck and shoulders every morning. Any suggestions on a fairly inexpensive pillow I can buy to use til I have this baby?
#2 of 66 Old 02-08-2004, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
UGH! I'm having a hard time sleeping as well. This is how my average night goes:

Go to bed, 5 minues later, get up to pee, back to bed, spend 45 minutes getting comfortable, insanely thirsty, take a few sips of water, ten more minutes, asleep.

Two hours later wake up, try to ignore full bladder, because I'm comfortable otherwise, 30 minutes later, fully awake, get up to pee, back to bed, take a few sips of water right away (thinking I won't have to in half an hour.. HA!) spend about 45 minutes tossing & turning, get up to pee AGAIN, back to bed, half an hour more of tossing & turning, asleep.

Three hours later wake up, try to ignore full bladder for 15 minutes, remember that didn't work last time, but afraid to get up because I might wake Roland (even though he's in his own room... he's a light sleeper) actually start to drift off this time, then Kevins alarm goes off. Get up to pee, back to bed.

15 minutes later, Roland wakes up, get up, tuck him back in, go pee, go back to bed.

1 hour later Roland wakes up again, wants his light on. Get up, turn his light on, pee again, back to bed.

1/2 hour later, Roland yells "MOMMY! Poop!" and I RUSH to his room before he puts his hand into his diaper (WHY? WHY? WHY?) give up on sleep, and start the day (Only an hour until daylight)

YIPPIE!

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

#3 of 66 Old 02-08-2004, 04:12 PM

HomeBirthHarriet- :

I feel like everytime I get comfortable I either need to pee or a kid wants me. Last night my oldest was screaming for me, didn't want daddy so I went in and laid down with her and fell asleep then a little while later my youngest was screaming for me back in my room. She was telling us that there was a spider in the bed but it was all gone now. I told my dh that I want to be less popular at night! I don't even know what it's like to have a full nights sleep. If anyone has any tips on how to get kids to sleep ALL night long in their own bed I would love it. We have a routine and we now even have a tape that I recorded from ascript that Kerry at hypnobabies gave me. My oldest has never consistantly slept all night in her bed or anywhere for that matter. After almost 5 years I'm so tired!

Oh I keep forgetting to tell everyone about my great find!!! Maybe some of you have already heard of these but I'll tell you again anyway! Last week I picked up a couple of pairs of Bravado undies to match my bras and Oh my goodness they are the most comfy undies I think I have ever owned!! They were $11 but ya know what they're worth every penny!
Anyone else have any great comfy maternity finds??? Please share!

Julie- I hear you on the whole motivation thing. I started a cross stich quilt for the baby about 3 weeks ago and really haven't done much with it. I'm starting to feel like time is running out and I have so much to do but at the same time all I want to do is curl up under my comforter and take a nap!

Have a great one!
#4 of 66 Old 02-08-2004, 04:25 PM

I consider myself very fortunate to not have a sneeze-pees problem after all these babies. I do Kegels as often as I remember, usually everyday, but not always. Now, I admit, there have been those times that I waited way too long to get to the bathroom, and had to make a mad dash...but otherwise, my control is good.

I am daring to say this tentatively here, but...we may have our rental house rented to a really nice family!!!! We were working on the house yesterday, and a couple from around the corner came by to see it (we have a "For rent"sign in the window). We showed them around, talked to them, and before they left, they asked where they could sign to take the house. We are bringing a rental agreement down today, and if they show up to sign it, that is a huge weight off our shoulders. This house is the house dh grew up in from birth, and our 6 oldest kids were born there as well. We decided to keep it for sentimental reasons as well as to pass down to one of our kids when they grow up. It has been a major stress for me for the last 4 months. Our previous tenants destroyed a lot of the house, and they did some other nasty things too. Anyway, we are happy...

Dh has felt little Crush kicking a few times as well....Julie, I was :LOL at the "Roman cake"! I agree with Rynna...those internal cervical kicks are weird....I have never felt anything like them! Feeling these kicks is one of the biggest things I miss about being pregnant after the baby is born. I can take pictures of myself, make a belly cast, have video of the birth....but how on earth can you ever capture that feeling of a good strong kick, or a rolling body? I will miss it.....

I had to quit sleeping on my back or stomach about 10 years ago because of back problems. I am most comfortable on my side, so it doesn't bother me during pregnancy at all. The tough part is simply rolling over. I have a big king size pillow for my legs that extend to my stomach to keep my from rolling forward. Trying to flip a huge belly, and the pillow and the covers all at once takes practice, and I usually end up waking up just from the effort! :LOL Gunnar is still sleeping with us, and he has this weird habit of burrowing and pinching dh and me. He keeps trying to get his hands and feet under our bodies, but won't leave them still. Or, he will just start pinching us in his sleep....weird!

Well, not much else new here. I have a few pistures to put up, but I haven't seen tabitha around. Anyone else hear from her? I hope she is doing okay.

OH!!! Is anyone here considering going to the LLL So CA/NV Area Conference? I am in charge of the registration for the conference, and it would be so cool to get to meet some of you! If anyone wants a registration book, let me know!
#5 of 66 Old 02-08-2004, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi everyone! I don't think I got around to posting once in the last thread. Time has just been slipping away from me plus I've been so pooped whenever I do any standing/walking in a day that I end up falling asleep with Ben around 7 or 8 and sleeping all night long! I guess it's a good thing to get all this sleep, but it makes it hard to accomplish anything and I miss spending time with my hubby.

Julie, I'm not having horrible trouble with getting motivated, but I can't stay focused on any one thing for long. I spend all day going from project to project doing little bits on everything. I've got diaper bag patterns and fabric in one spot, work sewing over here, diaper sewing over there, new baby clothes to wash & put away on that chair, and household laundry to put away in this basket. It's kind of nuts, but I do like having something else to move to when I get bored with something, and I've been getting bored so easily lately

Donna, I would love to come to the LLL conference, but I'm due that next week so I don;t think it would be a good idea. I'm super bummed about it, I missed going last year and was really looking forward to this year. Oh, well, I guess it will have to wait again Oh, congrats on the house!

We're very excited cause we've gotten approved for a car loan to buy a new (to us) Honda Odyssey van!! And it will only be costing us about $10 more per month than our current cary payments! We don't really fit in our Saturn sedan anymore with just the 3 of us, and there's no room for a rear facing car seat next to Ben's seat (the back seat is very shallow) so we have to get something new or never be able to take the new baby anywhere. We're getting the van from friends who have taken super good care of it, and we can go get it as soon as we sell our car (can't afford double payments right now) If you know anyone in the Los Angeles area who needs a reliable, inexpensive car, PM me and I'll send you the details

I'm mostly a right-side sleeper but really just sleep however I'm comfortable. Last time I was all worried about trying ot sleep on my left side but I really think the best way to sleep is however you can get the most rest. How can something be better if you wake up every hour from being so uncomfortable?? The only trouble I'm having so far is it's hard to roll over, so I sit up, turn and lie back down on the other side. I wake up so much more than I ever did before having Ben so I seem to be able to fall back asleep pretty easily now. Oh, and luckily I can make it almost through the whole night before my bladder hurts so much I have to get up to empty it I think I've really just gotten good at ignoring it, lol!

I think this has turned into a novel, I should really post more often! Hope you're all having a nice weekend!

Robin~ single, work-at-home momma to my WonderBoys
YoungMan (6/00) & LittleBoy (6/04)
#6 of 66 Old 02-08-2004, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mattjule
AnaNicole-that story is hilarious! And I love his name, BTW.

Thank you! Which brings me to the subject of names. I need a good boy's name! We don't know who this kid is yet but figure it's best to be prepared. We have liked Orion, but I'm not sure about it, really. The middle names (all of my kids have two middle names--the first we choose based on liking it, the second is always a family name) will be Denali Buck for a boy. I love Denali for a first name but Chris (dh) doesn't. So, a middle name it is.

Any suggestions for unusual names would be appreciated! Ditto, girl names. So far, Chris prefers Cadence and I am partial to Paloma. Girl middle family name will be Mary....

Oh, and no "R" names, cause Chris's last name begins with R....

Do I sound picky or what??
#7 of 66 Old 02-08-2004, 11:12 PM

Is it not okay to sleep on our backs?

Last night I started having weird cramping on my right side...it is worse when I walk/move a lot. Is this something I should worry about? It feels like a cramp feels if you go running to soon after eating a big meal. KWIM? I WAS in a hotel room and the bed was really hard, so I am wonering if that has anythign to do with it.

Also, I am not feeling a lot of movement, although doppler keeps giving a HB. SHould I worry? I feel the baby sometimes, but not as much as some of you. This is my first pg and I am 22 weeks today. I also don't get any kicks, just sort of rolls and baby hitting cervix and bladder. DO I just have a sleepy baby?

Peace,
Paula
#8 of 66 Old 02-09-2004, 01:37 AM

Well, I'm 24 weeks and can no longer bend over and tie my shoes! I guess dh can do it from now on.

I don't sleep on my back, since I don't even when not pg, but I lie on my back during the day, or semi-reclining. The baby still moves so I guess I'm not cutting its oxygen off.
#9 of 66 Old 02-09-2004, 02:17 AM

Ana-Nicole,
I love the name Cadence...it is my youngest dd's name Her name is Cadence Skye, and it fits perfectly..she has the bluest eyes!
We are no where CLOSE to having a name picked out yet. I am not too worried about it, because I am sure the right name will come to us. Dh and I tend to get into the name-game mode, and for days, we will through names out. And eventually, THE name will slap us in the face. :LOL

Robin,
Thanks for the congrats! They paid the deposit today, and are very happy to have gotten the house. Turns out, I know at least one of their sons...he used to play at the neighborhood park with my kids when they were little. Small world.
Honestly, I am a little apprehensive about going to the conference this year too...I am due less than 2 weeks after the conference. But, I am the head of registration, so I have to at least do the pre-conference work anyway. If I can not attend, I have a co-chair, and my dh works on it with me. Dh and I do all the input and collecting of money for the conference, assigning sessions, so if I can't go, he will. When Cadence was born, it was only 3 weeks before the conference. I took her with me of course, and it was not too bad because everyone helped me a lot.
And congrats to you too on the car loan! It makes such a difference when you can comfortably sit in a vehicle when you want to go somewhere!

Paula,
I personally believe that if a position is not good for you or the baby, you will not be comfortable. It is very painful for me to lay on my back, so I dont do it. Laying on my stomach is not comfortable at all, it actaully hurts in my back as well, so again, I don't do it.
I wouldn't woory too much about baby movement at this point. If oyu are feeling it, then things are likely fine. Most of the movement I feel is internal, but if I amlaying down, or reclining, it is easier to feel on the outside. A few times, I was able to feel it on the outside, up near my ribs.
#10 of 66 Old 02-09-2004, 10:39 AM

This expanding thing is scary! Yesterday I was uncomfortable all day long - my stomach was upset, my back hurt, I had round ligament pain, etc. Today my tummy is huge! I guess I was having a growth spurt. (I think I'm carrying pretty high, too.) My mom gave me a shirt at Christmas that until today has been ridiculous looking on me - WAY too big. Well, today it fits perfect! To be honest, I don't think it'll last more than a few weeks now.

Had the most tramatic moment at a maternity store yesterday - shouldn't it be against the law to make maternity jeans with no stretch?!

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
#11 of 66 Old 02-09-2004, 10:47 AM

Hi Everyone! I'm glad everyone seems to be doing well except for the lack of sleep. I definately sleep in whichever position is most comfortable. I have noticed that it hurts to sleep on my back. I like to sleep on my side/stomach with a body pillow propping my belly up. I also can sometimes make it through the night without getting up to pee.

Queen, I know what you mean about expanding quickly. One night last week I was in bed and just noticing how sore I was. I could almost feel my belly growing right then! Also, we're getting ready to move in a few weeks and we've been doing alot of packing. After a hard day's work, I feel like I'm about 80 years old! My back hurts so bad I can hardly walk! Anyway, hope you all have a great day!
#12 of 66 Old 02-09-2004, 10:55 AM

QofC I hear ya on the jean thing! During my last pregnancy I went to the maternity store in the mall and left almost ing tears. Do they make the jeans for the teen mom w/ no hips or what?? UGH! THey tell you to go w/ your prepregnancy size and I tried on jeans that were 2 or 3 sizes bigger and they still didn't fit right. I ended up splurging on a pair from the Gap. They are comfy and stretchy!

Wildthing- Congrats on renting your apartment! It can be so stressful trying to find good renters!

Paula- As far as position goes I sleep however I'm comfortable! If it happens to be on my back then that's how I sleep! I use lots of pillows to make myself nice and comfy!

Ok not for a great big brag!!! My oldest, she'll be 5 in June, dances and takes theather classes through her dance studio. Last night her studio had a pep rally for the competition kids and the theather kids announced the dancers. She got right up there and did her thing! She did such a great job! I'm just so proud of her! THese things kill me though because I was SO nervous all afternoon for her and it didn't even phase her! I think she's more confident at 4 then I have ever been!!

Have a great one!
#13 of 66 Old 02-09-2004, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Paula-I wouldn't worry about the crampy feeling. That is probably your ligaments stretching. I don't remember feeling it with Tain, but I have definitely had days this time around where it hurt. I like to tell myself it is the baby growing. Somehow it isn't so bad that way.

Also, I first felt Tain-that means any feeling at all-at 22 weeks. Matt felt him at 24. First babies take a little longer. If your placenta is on the front of your uterus, that will act as a cushion and you will feel less. I know I freaked out with Tain b/c I couldn't feel him for so long. It must be hard, too, to hear all of us talk about it. Most of us have had a baby before, though and you feel it earlier with subsequent pregnancies.

Anyone have fun ideas for a theme for a boy? I was soo into cowboys and indians when pg with Tain. I made him a quilt with this really silly, fun cowboy pattern. I would like to make the same quilt for Rowan, only different theme, but I can't seem to think of anything. I foolishly made a bedskirt and everything for Tain. This time, a quilt will do.

How do you balance reusing things from your first-born while honoring that your second-born is just as unique and wanted? I guess I am struggling a little bit with how you parent 2 kids of the same sex. I know that a lot of things were bequeathed upon my sister when she was born and I always sort of felt like no one liked me as much just b/c I was born after her. My mom never made us feel like that and she sewed a lot, so I didn't wear very many of sis's hand-me-downs. She liked to make us match. I know I will not sew as much and I would love to reuse a lot of Tain's clothing, especially the early stuff he grew out of really fast, but I am not quite sure how to balance it all. I imagine going through a box of baby clothes when they are older and telling them how they both wore these things, and Rowan asking me where his stuff is, you know? Or putting Rowan in an outfit Tain wore a lot and seeing Tain every time Rowan wears it. I think the 4d u/s is coming back to haunt me-Rowan did look so much like Tain in the u/s. Maybe I am making more out of this than I need to. I don't know. Any experienced mamas want to share how they got through this?
#14 of 66 Old 02-09-2004, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Oh! I forgot to say that Tabithat started a thread over in Homebirth

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...hreadid=113907

Looks like she is spending most of her time over there these days. Doulasarah is also posting over there. I noticed that she stopped coming here after that snafu a while ago. I think that is kind of sad and I miss her voice here.
#15 of 66 Old 02-09-2004, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Looks like she is spending most of her time over there these days. Doulasarah is also posting over there. I noticed that she stopped coming here after that snafu a while ago. I think that is kind of sad and I miss her voice here.
I think Tabitha also said that she was leaving our group after the same snafu. It makes me sad too. I miss them both.

Julie, I'm not sure if this baby is a boy or a girl. I share your concerns about the hand-me-downs if it's a girl though. I think there are some outfits that are just Annelies outfits. We won't put them on the new baby. Some outfits don't have that much sentimental significance and they will be fine for the baby. If it's a boy, I guess I don't have to worry about it! As for themes, that's something I'm really not good at. Before dd was born, we did buy her a jungle animal comforter. I figured we couldn't go wrong with animals! My BIL did a hot air balloon/clown theme for his son's room and bedding. It was very nice. All in burgundy and gold colors. I think old-fashioned airplanes would be cool too.
#16 of 66 Old 02-09-2004, 05:35 PM

although i find most of their wares hideous, cotton thong panties from motherhood maternity are a good find. and you can buy your prepregnancy size- at least i did, and though i don't fit in my normal thongs anymore these are wider around the hip and are extremely comfortable. i think they'll last all the way through and are not expensive- about $13 for a pack of four.

i have read that even if you are comfortable you can be limiting the return of blood for both yourself and babe by lying on the back after a certain point. since i have in recent years become a happy back sleeper i am miserable. you can compromise when you can't bear it anymore by tucking a pillow or wad of blanket under one hip, to tilt to the side just a bit. although i change position once asleep i am most comfortable falling asleep on my back, so this is helping a little.
#17 of 66 Old 02-09-2004, 07:53 PM

I agree that there should be a law against maternity jeans that don't stretch. It's beyond depressing. I also think that the maternity department should *not* be next to the Women's (fat people) department in stores. It seems to me that it sends an unhealthy message to women that gaining weight during pregnancy is the same as getting fat. I know that a lot of my sister's friends when she was in high school and pregnant would diet during their pregnancies, and I just think that's so sad, that girls and women feel a need for that, you know? I mean, I am a fat person and I was before I got pregnant, but as a normal-sized person before I got pregnant with Eli, I found it really depressing to be right next to the fat-people clothes (I was overweight but just shy of the fat-people clothing sizes.. big, but not huge like I am now. :LOL) I can't imagine what it's like for someone who's had weight/eating issues in the past... Maybe this makes no sense. :LOL

The best maternity find I've encountered was at Khol's after X-mas sale: I found three pairs of XL maternity shortalls for $6 each! They won't be huge, but they'll be better than nothing! I'm still looking for a pair of jeans, and trying to save up for a pair from Gap but I don't think that's going to happen any time soon.

On the sleep front, things are going pretty well. Eli doesn't usually ask to nurse in the middle of the night, he asks for milk. Being lazy and totally against bottles and bottle rot, I find it depressing every time I get him a bottle of soymilk and go back to bed with him. Mike is very reassuring and he keeps reminding me that it's temporary and that once my milk comes back Eli will be so happy and we won't have to worry about it anymore . It's still rough for me.

I am hypermotivated about everything except cleaning. Well, I'm motivated to make my husband do that.. :LOL : :LOL I've been working on this baby's sampler and hope to be able to finish all but the important bits before the baby comes. With Eli's, I still had a little bit of backstitching to do when he was born. I finished it in the NICU, sitting in the breastfeeding room while he slept in his little plastic box. *sigh* I guess it's a memory now... I've also been working on a project that I started as a wedding present for my brother and his wife. They've been married for nearly three years now, but I'm almost finished with it.. They may get it as a 4th anniversary present. :LOL : :LOL :

About handing things down: I don't know if this baby is the same gender or not, but I also worry about not honoring my second child's uniqueness as much as my first. I will have a bit of an easy time with clothing either way, because my kids will be off-season. When Eli was wearing a 0-3 month size (and it was a really long time!) it was really fricking cold! Since this one is due in June, there's very little chance that they'll be wearing Eli's tiny baby clothes. :LOL On one hand, it'll avoid the whole issue of separate clothing. On the other, it's very depressing and expensive. :LOL I suppose we'll deal. They've also got two different birth samplers, though they are the same size. It's important to me to have one for each of my children, I always wanted things like that. You know, some evidence that someone somewhere was looking forward to my birth. :

I have completely lost the ability to bend over (19.5 weeks) and every time I sneeze I have horrible round ligament pain. I also have contractions when my bladder is full. Totally irritating! It drives me crazy.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#18 of 66 Old 02-09-2004, 08:44 PM

I have HUGE issues w/ the womens/plus sizes being right next to the maternity section in department stores. When I was pregnant w/ my first I couldn't shop in department stroes for maternity clothes because I always left in tears. I had spent my whole adolence and adult life "fight" to stay out of the "fat" section and at times did some significant damage to my body and self esteem. The first time I wore maternity pants to work I cried all the way there. I didn't feel pregnant just fat! I have gotten better about the whole weight thing since I have seen the power and the amazing things my body can do(birth, breastfeeding) but some of the issues are still there.

As far as hand-me-downs go there are some things that are not passonable(like my new word? ) Like I don't pass on the home from the hospital outfit, the first christmas dress or any other "special" outfit. My youngest LOVES to wear clothes that use to be her sisters right now so I'm running w/ it. My oldest has/had so many stinking clothes that some of them were only worn a couple of times(my mom's a shopaholic). I have actually had to limit what people have bought for both my girls because they have too many clothes!

Gotta go listen to my hypnobabies tapes!
#19 of 66 Old 02-09-2004, 08:55 PM

2girlsmommy - I love the HypnoBabies CDs! I just got mine on Saturday and read Week 1 that afternoon and started listening to the CDs. They are so relaxing and positive - I'm thrilled with them. My sister is going to be my main coach, and DH will be there for support. On Saturday, the baby was moving and kicking at first, then calmed down during the 30 minute session. At the end (as soon as the count was done) the baby started kicking and moving more than I've ever felt! I could see my belly moving with the kicks - a first, since I'm only 23 weeks pregnant! I guess it was as refreshing for the baby as it was for me!

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
#20 of 66 Old 02-09-2004, 09:32 PM

I will use hand-me-downs until the second born requests not to wear them anymore. I hear a lot of second born kids resent never getting new clothes the way their older sibs do, so I want to be fair to both kids, even if we have another girl.

Most of dd's clothes are hand-me-downs from her older cousin, or old baby clothes of mine.
#21 of 66 Old 02-09-2004, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

I second (or third or fourth) the maternity next to the plus size section. For me, I never really had a problem with weight or body image. I hate that I can't always tell the difference between the two so I find something that is cute, get in the dressing room and discover it is size 24 instead of being maternity. It is so hard to tell where the plus size ends and the maternity begins. It's like they don't recognize there is a distinct difference in fit.

Anyone else long-legged? I don't understand why they have to add insult to injury by making all the maternity pants highwaters. I guess I come from the whole grunge age when your pants dragged on the ground, but regardless of my reasons, I would love to find pants that consistently covered my ankles. I like not having to match my socks to my outfit.

Bought some panties from Old Navy. Way too big. I was pretty disappointed. Plus I could only return 1 package b/c they were big enough not to fit, but small enough that I don't think the next size down would work so I washed them to see if they would shrink a little. They didn't. There is no way I am a small normally.

I hate buying maternity on-line. You never know how it is going to fit and it is such a pain to wait and wait for it and then return it. A few of you have mentioned Gap. Does their maternity stuff fit like their normal stuff? I love the fit of Gap clothes but I want assurance that the sizing is similar for maternity so I know I won't have to keep returning things.

Thanks for some theme ideas. I told Matt today that it is hard, b/c I feel that I don't raise my children to be stereotypical of their gender but for some reason I really love traditional boy themes. Problem is, Tain is so traditionally a boy: loves trains, cars, blocks, he has a wooden puzzle of different types of planes and that is the current fav toy-I think he just likes to watch me make the noises. So I am struggling with finding something boyish and at the same time finding something that won't remind me of Tain. Maybe horses/nature? It's not like I am decorating a nursery so it won't be rampant, just a quilt and maybe one or two other things. I still think Rowan's name reminds me of horses. And I really love the retro 50's prints that are so en vogue at the fabric stores. But is that too close to cowboys?

Made the baby hat and pants today. This is my first foray into sewing knits. It was so easy on my serger, but my reg machine was another story. So the elastic fits in the pants a little weird, but they are definitely wearable. The hat fits my dh. He has an ENORMOUS head. I think the knit was a little stretched from him spilling tea on it-we rinsed it, but never put it through the dryer or anything. Plus the pattern looked way too big. And one size fits all for preemie through large? Yeah, right. Anyway, now I know how much smaller I need to make it. I figure I can adjust it and make one for Tain and one for Rowan. Provided I can get Tain to wear it....Hey, I can make one for everyone (maybe Matt would like a skull cap in a fabric different from monkeys and bananas...)
#22 of 66 Old 02-10-2004, 03:32 AM

It's funny about all this talk of underwear! because just this morning I was wondering if I was the only one who still wore my regular underwear while pregnant? I wear Jockey Bikinis and I can wear them all the way through the pregnancy. It was great! I still plan on doing it this time, saves me a lot of money

We have our ultrasound on Friday... I am excited to see the baby but hoping that they can't see the sex! I am not going to find out what it is but DH wants to know. I don't care if he knows and I don't but I am afraid that he will give it away! I so don't want to know the sex of this baby!

I was worried too about if it was a boy. We have so many clothes that I would hate to waste it all. This may sound silly but I would also be disappointed that I don't get to go shopping for more clothes if the baby were a boy! I have so much fun buying clothes for Hunter... I don't want to just stop buying for this baby because it is the same gender. I am going to try to do half and half. I will sell a bunch of stuff on e-bay and use it to buy some new stuff. That will be needed too because this baby will be in different sizes in different seasons so some stuff will have to be new (or so I tell myself!)

Mom to 4! Welcomed Aila Wren on Friday, February 25th!
#23 of 66 Old 02-10-2004, 04:34 AM

We have one BabyGap store here that has a little bit of maternity stuff, but it's only a test so they have 6 - 14 only. The sales lady was supr helpful though, said I should call in my order from the website and get someone to give me the garment measurments. I don't know if they'd actually do that, but I guess it's worth a try. I still have 2 pairs of jean from last time that I've just altered to fit better and all my knit pants from the spring and summer are still fitting pretty well so I think i'll be good. I tried that Belly Belt thing the last time I was at Motherhood, but it was really too big to fit well. I think I'll end up taking a spare piece of elastic and making one so that I can wear the shorts I already have when it warms up.

We don't have a whole lot of hand-me-downs from Ben cause our friends have a son 11 mo younger and we gave most everything to them. I only saved the stuf I loved so we have about 5 - 10 items in each size. I don't have issues with sharing, and it's kind of neat to think of another baby in some of these little things. We also passed on most of the baby toys except for a few infant things that Ben won't even remember so I think we'll have a good enough mix of old and new. We also have a pretty large age spread between them, so most of the things we kept we barely can remember having in the first place by now, lol!

Robin~ single, work-at-home momma to my WonderBoys
YoungMan (6/00) & LittleBoy (6/04)
#24 of 66 Old 02-10-2004, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

I wear Victoria's Secret bikinis. I found if I fold the elastic down once, they fit better than anything else I've got. A friend of mine wore hers all the way through her pregnancy. I am thinking of getting some of the low-rise bikinis so I don't have to mess with the elastic. At least I could try them on and know they fit!

So I decided to chart my sleeping last night (basically bother to look at the clock). DH woke me at 2:15 or so out of a dead sleep to have sex. I was pretty annoyed at first but sometimes the end justifies the means, yk? So at 3:40, still not sleeping but must have drifted off shortly thereafter. 4:40 awake. 5:40 awake. 6:10 awake. 7:00 ds wakes me to nurse, but drifts off afterwards (thank god!) 8:00 ds wakes for good. So basically I am sleeping in one-hour incriments. No wonder I feel so tired. I know dh works until 1 am and I know that makes him really tired, but I swear some mornings I just want to kick him (our mattress is on the floor so it'd be really easy) and make him get up with ds instead of me. I have tried to nap with ds lately. I keep waking long before he does and am unable to go back to sleep. I am so tired and frustrated. What is my problem?!
#25 of 66 Old 02-10-2004, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
I also think that the maternity department should *not* be next to the Women's (fat people) department in stores. It seems to me that it sends an unhealthy message to women that gaining weight during pregnancy is the same as getting fat.
This comment disturbs me on so many levels.

My first reaction was: If plus size clothing are this bothersome, then how offensive are plus size people? If the 'fat people' clothes have to be seperate from the maternity clothes (read: YOU) how far away do overweight people have to be, for your comfort?

Imagine what a grocery store would look like, if it was designed to appease the feelings of the uber-sensitive.
Feminine hygene products couldn't be in the same aisle as diapers (infant OR adult)... that would imply that menstruation is the same as loss of control over ones bowels.
Meat and Dairy would have to be in a seperate room, with it's own cooling/heating system, so vegetarians/vegans wouldn't have to see or smell an animal carcass, or see animal food products.
Magasines would be behind a black curtain, so children wouldn't be exposed to the sexually explicit images on their covers (ok, so that one wouldn't be so bad)
Snack foods, and all other foods deemed fattening, or unhealthy in some way, would be in a locked case, so dieters would feel a bit safer walking past them.

Rather than re-organise the store, why not educate women on nutrition and excersize during pregnancy? Why not raise our girls to be comfortable in their own skin?

The AVERAGE woman is a size 12 -14 (the largest 'regular' sizes, at least in Canada) So, rather than think of plus sizes as 'fat people' clothes, try thinking of them as normal people clothes.

There are probably just as many women who apreciate the plus sizes being next to the maternity section, as those who don't. There ARE times when a plus size shirt will fit just as well as a maternity one.

Ahhhhh! Now, maybe I won't do this:

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

#26 of 66 Old 02-10-2004, 03:31 PM

I was also a touch bothered by the original post, although I don't think the poster (Eilonwy?) meant it as it seems to have come across. This sounds more like a personal issue, to me, and I can grok that this society has some major issues about body image (check out the upcoming issue of Mothering, in fact) to the point where pregnant women actually diet. Her continued thoughts on the subject:
I know that a lot of my sister's friends when she was in high school and pregnant would diet during their pregnancies, and I just think that's so sad, that girls and women feel a need for that, you know? I mean, I am a fat person and I was before I got pregnant, but as a normal-sized person before I got pregnant with Eli, I found it really depressing to be right next to the fat-people clothes (I was overweight but just shy of the fat-people clothing sizes...)
This paragraph leads me to believe that her post really isn't about this:
If plus size clothing are this bothersome, then how offensive are plus size people? If the 'fat people' clothes have to be seperate from the maternity clothes (read: YOU) how far away do overweight people have to be, for your comfort?
but rather about the societal messages that are ingrained in the minds of some people, leading them to believe that pregnant=fat. And, further, that product placement in clothing stores can emphasize this negatively.

HOWEVER, big however here, the post ALSO illuminates this very issue for what it is--a perhaps unhealthy emphasis on being thin (which I think can sometimes morph into discrimination of people who are not). My personal take on this is not to read too much into where the maternity clothes are placed. And I absolutely agree with this:
Rather than re-organise the store, why not educate women on nutrition and excersize during pregnancy? Why not raise our girls to be comfortable in their own skin?

The AVERAGE woman is a size 12 -14 (the largest 'regular' sizes, at least in Canada) So, rather than think of plus sizes as 'fat people' clothes, try thinking of them as normal people clothes.

There are probably just as many women who apreciate the plus sizes being next to the maternity section, as those who don't. There ARE times when a plus size shirt will fit just as well as a maternity one.

Shifting cultural perceptions is key, and in my opinion, that shift starts with the individual. Being near tears in the maternity section because of either the size of the clothes OR the proximity to the plus size department is a good sign that professional mental health counseling would be a good idea.

And yes, for those who are wondering, I am thin and have been for most of my life. The exception was after I gave birth to my third baby, who weighed almost 10 pounds. I held on to more than 15 pounds extra for months after that (until my husband left me and I inadvertently went on the grief diet!). I have also been in counseling for over 4 years and am a big believer in it--for everyone, frankly!

/ramble
#27 of 66 Old 02-10-2004, 04:01 PM

My fabulous 7yo, Mirabai, who weighs probably 45 pounds soaking wet (and she isn't short) is thin as a rail and has frightened me MORE THAN ONCE, now, with comments about her size. She has alluded to being fat (when I think she should eat more) and I once overheard her ask her brother if the chips he was eating had fat in them...and then decline one when he said yes. This all started up a few months after a huge meltdown over clothing I had packed for her when we took a driving trip through S. Arizona to visit my dad. Temps were supposed to be in the 80s and 90s so I packed tees and shorts...only to troop into a thrift store in Tucson on the first day of the trip to buy her long-sleeved shirts and pants because she absolutely could NOT show any bare skin due to her skin color (she is olive-complected--I have east Indian blood in my family) and her "knobby knees." Another hangup: she won't wear her hair in ponytails because she has "hair stuck to the back of" her neck.

Where does she get all of this?? I am at a loss. It isn't from me, nor her father. Certainly not from anyone else in the family. She doesn't watch a lot of TV. I think the skin color thing came from school (she somehow figured that she was dark enough to risk being assassinated as was MLK?!?!). Compared to the rest of us (my other two kids are redheads) she is dark, but really, she's still a white girl.

So while I am doing my absolute best to raise all my kids with a healthy body image, apparently somewhere along the way that was usurped. And damn, this all started when my kid was six years old.

It's frightening to think that my child will be the pregnant one crying the maternity section cause she feels "fat."
#28 of 66 Old 02-10-2004, 05:36 PM

Quote:
I hate buying maternity on-line. You never know how it is going to fit and it is such a pain to wait and wait for it and then return it.
I had this experience with iMaternity. First of all, I didn't know their clothes were Motherhood brand, so now I'm probably getting a free case of formula in the mail! One shirt was damaged - it had a diagonal rip across the front. I had to buy a big envelope to send it back in, pay to mail it, and I was only refunded the purchase price, not shipping.

Old Navy was much better. I ordered some pants that were too big, and they provided an addressed, postage-paid envelope for returns. They replaced the pants and I didn't have to pay shipping on the new ones or the old ones.

I haven't ordered from the Gap yet, since their stuff is more expensive than Old Navy, but maybe I will soon. I've been having a hard time finding dresses - all the ones I see that are under $40 are either black, or have a dark flower pattern that I don't really like. I want something flowy and light-colored!

So, if anyone else can pass on some online maternity clothing links (with great return policies) that'd be great!
#29 of 66 Old 02-10-2004, 05:43 PM

Returing to the land of the living after 3 days with a stomach bug.

I haven't bought any clothes online but I have been doing REALLY well at Macy's (is that a national chain? not sure). I have hit a couple of really great sales there!

So...this morning I went to wear my favorite super-comfy overalls (non maternity)...I couldn't button them! As sad as I am about packing away my favorite overalls for a few months...I LOVE that my belly is getting so BIG!! Woo-hoo!

~Erin
#30 of 66 Old 02-10-2004, 06:04 PM

Has anyone here ever ordered from Pumpkin Maternity? They have a dress I absolutely heart--it has a big dot over the belly.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page