Water vs. Liquids - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-28-2009, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I know I'm supposed to be getting at least 80oz of water a day to stay hydrated while pg. Some things I've read say it's important to get that in water alone and others say that as long as all the liquids you drink add up to that amount, you're fine (excluding coffee, soda, and the like, of course).

Last time, I aimed to get that much in water alone, on top of juice, milk, tea, etc, but I just don't see that being possible this time. Right now I'm drinking 2-3 cups of orange juice, 1-3 cups of milk, and 4-5 cups of water a day on top of any tea, water kefir, emergen-C, or other liquids I happen to have. I don't drink coffee, soda, or alcohol. Am I getting enough or do I really need to double my water intake?

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
#2 of 8 Old 09-28-2009, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liquids is fine, it doesn't have to be plain water. Obviously the healthier the better but whatever it takes to keep you hydrated really. You will also get water from many foods, especially fruit and veges, and that counts too.

IMO the best way to monitor hydration is urine colour (unless you drinking a lot of beetroot juice or something). If it is pale yellow your fine. If it gets darker, drink more.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 8 Old 09-29-2009, 02:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I agree - liquids is fine. I tend to drink a lot of water anyway, as I'm a runner. But, you can totally do juice, milk, herbal teas, green juice, smoothies, etc. I personally think soup counts too.

First special delivery - April 2010 :
#4 of 8 Old 09-29-2009, 09:43 AM

From what my dr said, all liquids (well not all, but I'm sure you can figure out which ones are not on the list are good, and that there is also water content in our food. The best indicator is your urine colour like katelove said.
Also a big congratulations to you Sihaya from an old ddc buddy!

Pam, momma to Sofie Avye Seth
#5 of 8 Old 09-29-2009, 11:27 AM

My OB said water or gatorade was good to qualify for "liquids" when it comes to hydration. I was drinking over 100 oz of water a day & was told to make sure I get some gatorade in there as well.

Stephanie, mom to 3 big girls ('94, '99 & '02) and to my little guy (12/30/09) intact & CD'ed!
#6 of 8 Old 09-29-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katelove View Post
Liquids is fine, it doesn't have to be plain water. Obviously the healthier the better but whatever it takes to keep you hydrated really. You will also get water from many foods, especially fruit and veges, and that counts too.

IMO the best way to monitor hydration is urine colour (unless you drinking a lot of beetroot juice or something). If it is pale yellow your fine. If it gets darker, drink more.
I agree with all of this. Making sure to get a certain amount of oz is sometimes easier to track, but hydration needs do change depending on how much heat your are in and your activity level, so it's good to check urine color as well.

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#7 of 8 Old 09-29-2009, 04:23 PM

I really don't like to drink calories or get too much sugar, so for me liquids = water or herbal tea. Other stuff will hydrate you, but I really don't think very many of us want to be drinking enough juice or other sugar-containing beverages to stay hydrated. Even with 100% pure fruit juice, I think its better to eat the fruit itself and then drink water (unless we are dealing with a UTI situation...then I am the first one lining up to drink a bottle of the cranberry)! Just my opinion.
#8 of 8 Old 09-29-2009, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
My mw always said to count all liquids, but the Hypnobabies material stresses that it must be water in addition to everything else. I used to be able to drink 100oz of water plus everything else, but right now I'm taking a lot of liquid supplements or supplements in juice/milk and I just can drink 20 8oz glasses of fluid in a day. Not to mention that peeing 4000x a day is incompatible with mothering a toddler.

As far as urine color, I am taking all kinds of supplements so my urine is always technicolor regardless of how much water I'm drinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minsca View Post
Also a big congratulations to you Sihaya from an old ddc buddy!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella.rose View Post
I really don't like to drink calories or get too much sugar, so for me liquids = water or herbal tea. Other stuff will hydrate you, but I really don't think very many of us want to be drinking enough juice or other sugar-containing beverages to stay hydrated. Even with 100% pure fruit juice, I think its better to eat the fruit itself and then drink water (unless we are dealing with a UTI situation...then I am the first one lining up to drink a bottle of the cranberry)! Just my opinion.
I hate fruit juice. I only drank it last pg if I felt a UTI coming on or needed prune juice to help my regularity. Unfortunately, it is the only way I can get down 4 of the supplements I'm taking now, so I have to drink 2-3 8oz glasses of it a day. If I could get them down by mixing them in water, I'd much rather do that, but it's puke-worthy.

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page