U/S question: 1 gestational sac, two yolks, 1 baby? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-30-2009, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What's the deal with this? I have only one gestational sac measuring 6 weeks, as I expected, but two yolks, one larger than the other. There was one embryo/heartbeat that looked fine. The doctor didn't say anything about the second yolk being a big deal, but she wants me to come back in 3 weeks for another ultrasound. They're sharing a gestational sac, so could it be a blighted ovum?

Shayla ~ Crunch-tastic UC mama of 3 nature kids and a moon baby

#2 of 7 Old 09-30-2009, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
No clue. maybe the yolk sac was just split somehow?

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#3 of 7 Old 09-30-2009, 04:36 PM

Is that how you get identical twins? I am not sure.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#4 of 7 Old 09-30-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidzaplenty View Post
Is that how you get identical twins? I am not sure.
That's what I was thinking too. You might have identical twins!

Was the bigger yolk sac the one with the heartbeat? The smaller one might just be developing slower. (there's usually a bigger twin and a smaller twin)

Also, not to scare you, but were the yolk sacs joined at all or completely seperate? If they're joined/close enough to be touching it might be conjoined twins, which could explain only one heart beat, as some conjoined twins share vital organs like that.

ribbonrainbow.gifMarried to my photosmile2.gif / geek.gif husband, trying to keep up with mybabyf.gif born 1/2010, and we have one dog2.gif
#5 of 7 Old 09-30-2009, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicfrost View Post
That's what I was thinking too. You might have identical twins!

Was the bigger yolk sac the one with the heartbeat? The smaller one might just be developing slower. (there's usually a bigger twin and a smaller twin)

Also, not to scare you, but were the yolk sacs joined at all or completely seperate? If they're joined/close enough to be touching it might be conjoined twins, which could explain only one heart beat, as some conjoined twins share vital organs like that.
Hm, well, the dr. didn't really say which yolk sac belonged to the baby. The yolks aren't touching at all. One is on the left, and one "appears" to be on the rear wall of the chorionic/gestational sac, from the perspective of the u/s.

I guess this is why I have to go back in 3 weeks. Probably it's too early for the dr. to tell what's going on...which doesn't stop me from over-thinking it!

#6 of 7 Old 09-30-2009, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
From what I understand there are a lot of twin losses... that is, one baby is lost, but the other goes on to be a singleton. It never used to be as noticible, but with the early ultrasounds these days, many people know if they're having twins and lost one. I wonder if the doctor was trying not to mention it in case the other baby was an early loss? not necessarily a great thing to do, but I could see it happening, since it wasn't obvious that there was a second baby...

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#7 of 7 Old 09-30-2009, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvysen View Post
From what I understand there are a lot of twin losses... that is, one baby is lost, but the other goes on to be a singleton. It never used to be as noticible, but with the early ultrasounds these days, many people know if they're having twins and lost one. I wonder if the doctor was trying not to mention it in case the other baby was an early loss? not necessarily a great thing to do, but I could see it happening, since it wasn't obvious that there was a second baby...
This is kinda what I'm thinking. I've heard about all the "vanishing" and "disappearing" twins and during the u/s she did a LOT of poking around (I guess trying to see around the embryo?) and finally she said kinda under her breath something like "okay, there's only one..." I don't know why I didn't ask what she was talking about. I was mostly just happy to see that h/b!

I used this same dr. two pregnancies ago and she did an early u/s with THAT pg too, and the result was only a yolk sac, no baby at all, which put me two weeks earlier than I should have been. She didn't mention that anything could be wrong, but I did have to come back the next week, she just didn't tell me why. It was moot when the next u/s showed a tiny bean and h/b.0

So I guess this time around I'm early enough that a second baby might not be visible yet (although that's not likely), maybe she wants to do another u/s in 3 weeks to be sure one way or the other before she tells me about it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page