Middle name help. First name Elenor/Eleanor/Elinor UPDATE in post #29! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 10-04-2009, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey ladies! Today DH finally agreed that I could use the name I love and have my heart set on if it is a girl! I am super excited of course and we find out in 2 weeks so I will post back here to let you all know if it is in fact a girl. The name is Elenor/Eleanor/Elinor (not sure on a spelling yet) I do not have a middle name yet and want some help if anyone would like to try and help me. My last name is a single syllable. I would appreciate any help anyone could give.

For boys names we are not settled b/c we both like both names.
Ashton Michael
Brighton Matthew
(just wanted to let you know)

Thanks again mamas!

Michelle and Bill w/: Newton,our yorkie + 11yo DS, Mark, and on 2/10/10 ...Elinor!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 34 Old 10-04-2009, 06:22 PM

Eleanor Kathryn
Eleanor Charlotte
Eleanor Julia
Eleanor Nicole
Eleanor Amelia
Eleanor Louise
Eleanor Olivia

I loooove Eleanor!! Good luck picking a middle name and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a little girl for ya!

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#3 of 34 Old 10-04-2009, 07:24 PM

We have a trend of giving out children 2 middle names...and my elder DD is Laurel Eleanoir Lucylle. I've always loved the way the second two flow!

Good luck, I'm sure you'll get the perfect name chosen!

Chiromum and SuperChiroDad, joyful parents of: laurel eleanoir, cornelia philippa maximos lachlan pendragon and leonidas snowdon tigernach
#4 of 34 Old 10-04-2009, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well I don't know how you feel about using family names but I was just thinking that Eleanor Michelle would sound really nice and then I looked at your siggy. I have my mom's first name as my middle name and I think it's cool. She had never really wanted to give any of her kids her name, I'm girl #3 and I guess she just thought that it fit.

Gillian - Wife to an amazing DH, Mother to 5 wonderful kiddos.
#5 of 34 Old 10-04-2009, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys!

StawberryFields Oh thank you so so much for the finger crossing. I want it to be a girl so much just b/c I love the name so much. Crazy huh?

ChiroMum Oh I love the sound of that! It is so cute. I had come up with Rose or Grace. DH likes grace but, I will run Lucylle by him. It does just flow together! good job at picking that.

gillibean That is so funny that you thought of that! I did think that myself so, it could be a contender.

Michelle and Bill w/: Newton,our yorkie + 11yo DS, Mark, and on 2/10/10 ...Elinor!
#6 of 34 Old 10-04-2009, 10:02 PM

My daughter is Eleanor Teri.
I find that I needed a strong consonant to balance out the soft, vowel heavy first name. To me, Eleanor is a name that can go from strong to way too soft depending on the middle name (Eleanor Rose for example sounds a bit too Harlequin novel to me)

As far as spelling, I think the classic Eleanor is best, but Elinor and Elanor are both ok. I think Elenor just looks mispelled. There is also the original which was Alienor but it seems weird for non-French speakers (I just read Alien when I see it in English).

Single mom to E (2004) and D (2010)
#7 of 34 Old 10-04-2009, 11:24 PM

Eleanor Jane
Eleanor Linnea
Eleanor Mae
Eleanor Eve

I too would go with Eleanor or Elinor---Elenor will just have to explain it all the time.

Mama to P. born at home 10/09, and W. born in the hospital 2/13

#8 of 34 Old 10-05-2009, 12:14 AM

Considering your last name is one syllable and your first name choice is three, I'd go for a two-syllable middle name. One would be okay, but NOT three or more. That would be a 9+ syllable name.

If you like the "classic" middle name choices, I'd go for a Marie or something like Rose or something simple.

BTW - Out of the boy names, I give my vote to Brighton.

Aurora , happy wife to C., mama to 3 : and , lost 12/08 & our 4/24/10
#9 of 34 Old 10-05-2009, 12:56 AM

We're pretty sure ds2 is a boy, but if he were a girl, he'd be Eleanor Theresa.

Lisa , mom to Isaac (9/1/03), Violet (6/19/06), Simon (10/9/09); wife to Eric ; handservant to Grace :
#10 of 34 Old 10-05-2009, 02:39 AM

We have an Elinor Jean.

Elinor because it is a family name and because we were Lit majors and met in a Austen class; Jean because both of our moms' middle names are Jean.

Ivory, partner to Tom, mama to Ella (12/9/05), Alice (12/8/07), and our newest addition, Rebecca (4/1/10).
#11 of 34 Old 10-05-2009, 08:03 AM

Michelle!!! Hi!!! I have missed you! I like the name Eleanor. I think you should spell it classically bc it is a classic name. The other spellings, unless there is a reason to spell it that way, ie naming after a relative, look kinda unclassy, like you are trying too hard to be creative. You know? I love the idea of the middle name being michelle. It's very pretty together. Also, what is your maiden name? A lot of women use their maiden names as middle names for their child so that it can continue. Other names I like with Eleanor are kinda odd but I like the LL sounds...

Eleanor Lindsay
Eleanor Louise
Eleanor Elizabeth

Mommy to one champagne.gif
#12 of 34 Old 10-05-2009, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much to everyone for the advice! I am trying to listen to it all and to take your suggestions to heart. I really appreciate all the help. I didn't realize there were so many Eleanors out there already! I think that is wonderful b/c my DH is afraid it is an ugly name. He thinks it's too old sounding but, like I said, he knows how much I really love it and want it so...he is letting me have my way!

soso Thanks for the advice. I will try to keep that in mind. DH seems to like Grace as the middle name right now. I think with your theory that might be too soft too but, I HAVE to let him have a say with this since he is letting me have my way on the first name.

cileag I agree with you on the spelling. I think classic is probably the way to go. I really don't want her to have to explain how to pronounce it or anything else for that matter. I was thinking Mae as the middle name but, then all I could think of was Ellie Mae Clampet...lol

mrsbabycakes I agree with the syllable thing. I was looking for one or two syllables either way. I think it just flows better. I also LOVE Brighton but, DH is leaning more toward Ashton and as I said to a PP, I HAVE to let him have a say since he is being so great to me about the Eleanor name. I have always loved Brighton though but, luckily I like the other name too. Plus, Ashton is the name my DS came up with so, he would be tickled if that was the name of his little brother.

ivymae That is a nice name. Is Eleanor a name of one of the characters from an Austen book? If so, what one? I don't remember?? I love Jane Austen. Maybe that is why I love this name!

Lauren Hey there!! How's it going?? I hope everything is well with you and baby! I see you are in Germany! WOW! I have missed talking to you too. Thanks for the advice. I really agree with what you are saying. We will probably go with the classic spelling. I am not really trying to be creative. I really just love the name, as is. I think it is really pretty. My maiden name is Libertone so...I really don't think that is going to work...lmao. I do like two of your suggestions though. Elizabeth (my mom's middle name) and Louise. They both sound nice with Eleanor. I just can't wait to find out what the sex is....I wonder if it's my Eleanor or not??

#13 of 34 Old 10-05-2009, 11:14 AM

nak

i agree with a pp that for middle names it can be nice to look for family names. besides michelle (which i like!) are there any other names (your mom, gma. aunt, mil, etc) that would fit?

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#14 of 34 Old 10-05-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren31 View Post
I like the name Eleanor. I think you should spell it classically bc it is a classic name. The other spellings, unless there is a reason to spell it that way, ie naming after a relative, look kinda unclassy, like you are trying too hard to be creative.

Eleanor Ruth
Eleanor Faye
Eleanor Jean (my grandma was Jean Eleanor)
Eleanor Maeve (like Mae, but not)

Doula, WOHM, wife to a super-fun papa, mama to the Monkey ('07), and his little brother, the Sea Monkey ('09).
#15 of 34 Old 10-05-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter30 View Post

ivymae That is a nice name. Is Eleanor a name of one of the characters from an Austen book? If so, what one? I don't remember?? I love Jane Austen. Maybe that is why I love this name!
Elinor Dashwood is the main character in Sense and Sensibility. Also, Elinor is actually a very classic spelling, and it was not until Eleanor Roosevelt made that spelling popular that Elinor went "out of style".

Ivory, partner to Tom, mama to Ella (12/9/05), Alice (12/8/07), and our newest addition, Rebecca (4/1/10).
#16 of 34 Old 10-05-2009, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

pianojazzgirl My mom's middle name is Elizabeth, Grandma's Anne and Ceciel (sp?), MIL is Lynne (he thinks and I am not fond of her so....) Thanks for the suggestions! I have been running through the whole list with my sisters,mom, dad and DH.

ivymae OMG!! I can't believe this and I didn't remember that! That is my favorite movie ever! I can't wait to tell my sister this. (she is pregnant also) We were just taking about the Jane Austen books/movies b/c we both love names from different periods. I said I wanted to look up some names to the characters from the books and little did I know or remember, I already have one! This makes me happy. No wonder why I like this name! Thanks for the info.

kcparker Thanks so much! Every little name helps!

#17 of 34 Old 10-05-2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:

ivymae I said I wanted to look up some names to the characters from the books and little did I know or remember, I already have one! This makes me happy. No wonder why I like this name! Thanks for the info.
No prob. We joked that DD2 was going to be Marianne, but thought that was probably just a bit too geeky. There is also an Elinor in Northanger Abbey, who is sweet and well mannered, so I get the idea that Austen held someone named Elinor in high regard.

There are a number of other literary and historical Elinor's, and after a bit of research I fell in love with the name because of it's history. A warning though: most Elinor/Eleanor's are going by Ella or Nora now, which has became so, so popular. There are three in my daughters class of 12 kids! Elinor can be a big name for a tiny girl, but my DD1 goes by Elinor most of the time, so avoid being Ella C.

#18 of 34 Old 10-06-2009, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

ivymae I was thinking of the nickname Ellie...that is what one of my uncles used to call me. I know that is super popular right now too but, I love the name Eleanor so...I am thinking that will be what I call her the most. Thanks for all your help!

#19 of 34 Old 10-06-2009, 09:29 AM

Thread hijack ahead:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivymae View Post
We have an Elinor Jean.

Elinor because it is a family name and because we were Lit majors and met in a Austen class; Jean because both of our moms' middle names are Jean.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivymae View Post
No prob. We joked that DD2 was going to be Marianne, but thought that was probably just a bit too geeky. There is also an Elinor in Northanger Abbey, who is sweet and well mannered, so I get the idea that Austen held someone named Elinor in high regard.
Ivy, that's awesome! I didn't know you were a lit major! I majored in British Lit for undergrad. and grad school, and my honors thesis was on Alasdair MacIntyre and Jane Austen (a much better thesis than the grad thesis on Neoclassical Burlesque, 1650-1700 )

It's weird how Austen used names. I still don't totally get Mansfield Park (I have heard people say it was her favorite of her own books, but I don't know-- sometimes I think she just wrote it as a challenge to herself to see if she could write a novel with a virtuous but, IMO, entirely unappealing heroine). But the other Austen Fanny is Fanny Dashwood of S&S, who is quite nasty

My DD's middle name is Elizabeth after Elizabeth Bennett (of course!)

Aspiring to 1 Thessalonians 4:11.Wife to Dh, 2004. Mother to DD 3/07.
So thankful for our healthy baby boy, born Easter morning, 2010!
#20 of 34 Old 10-06-2009, 09:29 AM

My 7 year old niece is Eleanor Margaret. It's nice.

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
#21 of 34 Old 10-07-2009, 11:40 AM

My friend is due in a month with a girl and she is naming her Eleanor Marie
#22 of 34 Old 10-07-2009, 11:56 AM

We have an Eleanor Irene...DH picked the middle name, but I really like it. Good luck!

Keri, wife to Tony, mom to five DDs: M ('96), S('01), E('04), A('07) and J('10);
#23 of 34 Old 10-07-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Hey ladies! Today DH finally agreed that I could use the name I love and have my heart set on if it is a girl! I am super excited of course and we find out in 2 weeks so I will post back here to let you all know if it is in fact a girl. The name is Elenor/Eleanor/Elinor (not sure on a spelling yet) I do not have a middle name yet and want some help if anyone would like to try and help me. My last name is a single syllable. I would appreciate any help anyone could give.

For boys names we are not settled b/c we both like both names.
Ashton Michael
Brighton Matthew
(just wanted to let you know)

Thanks again mamas!
I vote "Eleanor" because it is the correct spelling...i am possibly biased by the fact that it is my name and that is how i spell it.

mama to two little men...3/25/2010 and 10/3/2013
#24 of 34 Old 10-07-2009, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

ciga That's good reasoning!

#25 of 34 Old 10-07-2009, 09:10 PM

The first name that popped into my head was Eleanor Josie. I think it sounds best with a two syllable middle name.

Others that might work:

Eleanor Lily
Eleanor Holly
Eleanor Rosie
Eleanor Violet
Eleanor Maggie
Eleanor Sophie
Eleanor Ruby
Eleanor Laura
#26 of 34 Old 10-08-2009, 01:19 AM

We considered Eleanor Beatrice and I still love it.
#27 of 34 Old 10-08-2009, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Oh I love the sound of that! It is so cute. I had come up with Rose or Grace. DH likes grace but, I will run Lucylle by him. It does just flow together! good job at picking that.
oooooooh! my first thought was, one syllable, and secondly, "rose" or "grace." weird, right? something classic and sweet.

i think w/ a 3-syllable first name, either something simple or another long name sound good. a short name is complimentary, but a long one can carry the flow. my first name has 3 syllables, and my middle 4 - it's like a river!

eleanor is gorgeous - great pick!

me+him for 15 yrs, welcomed our little one march 25th, 2010.

#28 of 34 Old 10-08-2009, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Ladies!! I love all the suggestions. I have 12 more days til I can find out what I am having and then I will let you all know and the name. I like to have the name pretty shortly after the u/s so I can start calling the babe by it's name.

Lexi I love Beatrice. That is very cute!

Peace+Hope that is so funny that you thought of the same two names we did. I am still not sure yet....just kind of waiting to find out to make sure.

#29 of 34 Old 10-20-2009, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

IT'S A GIRL!!!

I am so thankful for all of your help!! I am so happy b/c I am going to be having my little ELINOR!! Yay!! just wanted to update so you all know! Her name is going to be Elinor Michelle!!!

#30 of 34 Old 10-20-2009, 09:01 PM

Nice. I love it.

Single mom to E (2004) and D (2010)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page