Baby is breech, please help!!! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-28-2002, 02:12 PM
Kim

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do a search on this forum for breech babies -- my baby was still breech at 36 weeks. The babe turned on her own, but I researched my alternatives.

Try or look into these options:

*Moxibustion - an burned herb is held near the outside of your little toe. Supposed to be very effective if done by a skilled acupuncurist.

*Webster Technique - call the chiropractors in your area to find out who does this technique. Again, very effective if done by a skilled chiropractor. They don't like to do the webster before 36 weeks in case the baby tries to turn around again.

*Visualize your baby turning around. Do you know which way your baby is facing? If so, rub your belly in circles as if your baby was diving forward.

*The ironing board (or use pillows) to get your butt and feet off the ground. It's really uncomfortable, but try to do this for at least 15 minutes a couple of times a day. :

*The external version should be your last resort because it has been known to induce labor.

Good luck to you and blessings on your birth!
Kim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2002, 06:07 PM

I've heard that an accupuncturist can help turn a breech baby. They burn a stick of moxa and the heat helps to coax the baby to get headed in the right direction. Good Luck!
Old 04-28-2002, 10:51 PM

Our DD kept going breech till 37+ weeks. I remember how harrowing that was. I did handstands
in the pool, lying down on the ironing board perched on the couch and had DH shine a flashlight and sing to DD a couple times each night. We actually felt her moving while he did this. Hard to say which finally did the trick--but she did turn head down.

I was going to try the Webster Technique if all else failed --though had trouble finding someone to do it. Also heard that there is a flower essence that is supposed to help with this (Bougainvillea??? not sure).

Good luck!!
Old 05-02-2002, 07:37 PM

Have you considered trying to find a midwife/doctor who would assist at a breech birth? It's probably not too late since many people switch caregivers in the last couple of weeks for similar reasons.

My second baby was breech and born at home (also a VBAC). My midwives assured me that many babies are breech for a reason and turning is not always best. They also told me that breech babies usually just "fall out". Well, they were right! My baby came out incredibly easy without even a tear and we found out the baby was breech because the cord wasn't attached to the placenta probably, sp the baby likely wouldn't have survived head-down.

Just a suggestion...
Old 07-15-2002, 10:05 AM

Here I am reading through these posts again because #2 is breech too!! I'm 32 weeks, so I've still got some time, but my OB doesn't think this one will turn on it's own since #1 didn't.

I am a bit frustrated and wondering what is wrong with me!! It's probably not a uterine abnormality since I did have a successful version and delivery last time. I don't think its psychological either, because I am really looking forward to this birth with my midwife.

I'm scheduled for a version at 35 weeks, but have the same reservations about it as last time (even though it worked). Mainly I'm worried about premature labor. I also think that maybe there is a reason that this baby is breech, and I don't want to interfere with that.
My OB will do a breech vaginal delivery this time around, but I really want to birth with my midwife. It is illegal here for her to assist with breech deliveries.

I found a great site for inspiration:
Heads Up! All About Breech Babies, Welcome to the new home of my all breech website!

Carolyn
due with #2 Sept 1
Old 07-15-2002, 01:05 PM

hi you two mamas!

my baby too was breech at 34-36 weeks. felt her go that way one night on the couch. what a event!

this will duplicate others suggestions-

1) visualization
2) laying inclined on ironing board ( i visualized at the same time)
3) homeopathic pulsatilla
4) played music on earphones at pelvic outlet
5) i too saw chiropractor-had craniosacral work
6) did moxi too at the accupuncturist.

just to cover my bases, i began researching docs in the area that would attempt delivery of breech babies, and talking to them about version. looking at my options if the baby didn't turn spontaneously helped me to not get freaked...

baby turned (hooray!), ended up with a cesarean birth anyway for other reasons its hard to do, but trust that your baby knows what it needs to do- even if it stays breech.

can't wait to hear your birth stories!

love and light

jaya
Old 07-15-2002, 02:29 PM

baby still has plenty of time to turn...
i was worried so we had dh talk to baby with his head in my lap, plus i've been doing yoga pretty much every day--hands and knees positions, etc.. . and then voila.. baby flipped over. you could try these , baby might just need a little encouragement plus my midwife says babies will sometimes turn and turn until the very end.
Old 07-16-2002, 04:48 AM

Two encouraging anecdotes:

When I was about 33-34 weeks pg, dd was still breech (frank breech). Because of all my preterm labor, OB wanted to do a version a little earlier than most, because he didn't want me going into labor with her breech, and it could have happened any time. As we were driving to the dr.'s office to get the version done, she turned herself around! It was reallly quite funny to watch, like something from and Alien movie, because she turned around in two relatively quick movements.

I was born frank breech, vaginal birth, my mother's first (and only) birth. I came out like greased lightning, too. By the time the doctor had worked up the courage to tell my mom that it might be time for a c-section, I was at +1 and coming fast!

Good luck

scifi-convention runners Kate, DH Drew 11/07, DD Cora 12/97. We , ,
Welcome to baby Fiona with a giant omphalocele, 6/17/10!
Old 07-16-2002, 05:12 AM

So, Suebee,what's the scoop? My first 2 were c-secs and I thot I had find a sympathetic doc. We discovered baby was breech and he said"you're lucky as I am one of the few docs that will deliver breech" but when I reminded him it was my first labor also he said no way. So, my fiance and I saw 3 other docs and one would perform a version but oNLY with the team ready for a c-sec as this may promote labor. I called my Bradley instructor who gave me number of area's ICAN leader who gave me number of Birth clinic in Michigan where there was a breech birth tape she advised me to ask if I could beg,borrow,buy or steal as I was NOT going to go to a hospital and I was going to make dh catch. We had just seen a video in class about a woman who at 36 weeks switched docs so she could have a breech vbac and so I figured I could too but time was running out as after 38 weeks the chance of turning declines. I tried some of the methods advised here but to no avail so off I trotted to Michigan and felt at peace and safe. My mw talked to me and manually turned the baby...she stopped for a contraction I didn't even know I was having! It wasn't anymore uncomfortable than my 3 yo leaning on my belly. Took about 5 minutes. And then I walked and squatted for an hour and got to know her better and asked if I could have my baby there. And she said if the baby goes back to breech, so what? We'll have a breech baby I almost wished the baby would go back to breech so I could flaunt it in the face of everyone who tried to dissuade me from my goal of a VBAC that not only did I have a natural VBAC, BUT a breech first time VBAC at that! In the end, I am glad he stayed head down as there were complications we had to deal with but I achieved my goal and I owe it all to my MW. In fact, she is my hero and I named our third VBAC(with same midwife), after her. We only had to drive 3 hours and as it was my first labor technically, I wasn't worried 3 hours would catch us on the road. I too had thot of tennessee but now I know Nancy Cohen is a mw so if Aunt Val can't do it, I'd go there!
Old 07-16-2002, 05:17 AM

i also want to add my son may have "known" I was afraid this doc would end up sclicing me, sympathetic as he preened to be. Plus, my brother,his preggie wife, 2 yo dd, and rottweiler were living in our basement and they were stressing me. they moved out and a week later I went to midwife. A week later I married my fiance and almost a month later we had our child. So the contractions were heavy for awhile and dh was afraid I'd start labor b4 we were able to get married, but ds was a smartie even while inutero!
Old 07-16-2002, 09:37 AM

I really think that breech can require a very individual response. I was very anxious and fearful of the transition to motherhood and I think I needed to spend that quiet communing time. There are so many relatively gentle ways to encourage turning - just don't go overboard like I did and make yourself a wreck with worry.

Good luck!
Old 07-18-2002, 09:36 AM

Baby was born breech but was fine! Thank you God!
Old 07-24-2002, 08:24 PM

Well, tomorrow I'll be spending the day at the hospital for an external version. They'll do it in the morning and keep me all afternoon for observation. If anyone wants more info about what it is like, you can e-mail me.
Wish me luck!

Carolyn
due Sept. 1 2002 with #2
mom to Julian 4.17.00
Old 07-26-2002, 10:38 PM

Hello,
My third child was breach up until the 36th week. Then he turned by himself. Then on the way to the doctor (I was 40 weeks), we were involved in a car accident. When I went in for my appointment, the baby had turned back into the breach position. My doctor told me that it was too late to do anything about it and I would have to deliver breach.
To make a long story short, I was a week late delivering a healthy baby boy who decided to come out butt first.

Overyonder
Old 07-27-2002, 05:25 AM

Wiyh #4 I did handstands in th pool 3 or 4 times. I could feel him doing 3/4 turns until finally he went all the way. With #2 I had to acknowledge that he was a boy and that was o.k.
(turned right then!)

User Tag List