Baby is breech, please help!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 45 Old 03-15-2002, 02:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello! I am 36 weeks pregnant and just found out that my baby is in the frank breech position. I would really appreciate any insights anyone can share with me about helping the baby turn, external version, experience with frank breech vaginal births, etc. Many many thanks!!!
#2 of 45 Old 03-15-2002, 08:49 AM

Hi There,

Both my birthing instructor, midwife, and yoga instructor recommend using a down ward dog yoga position to help facilitate a baby to turn. Basically get on all 4's (hands and knees) and then stick you butt up in the air and straighten your arms. basically you want to look like a triangle. you can keep your arms bent too. You may also want to try a modified shoulder stand too. Just get on your back and lift your legs up in the air. Try not to worry too much. Your baby still has time to turn. I know folks whose babies decided to turn a couple of days before delivery. Actually, my sisters turned the night she went into to labor. ALso, try sitting on a birthing ball. It promotes good posture and makes you lean somewhat forward-another good turning position. Hope that helps.
#3 of 45 Old 03-15-2002, 12:01 PM

Here's another thought or two: avoid sitting back/slouching - like when you are watching tv or reading...try to sit forward, or kneel. (I know this is hard when you are 36 weeks pregnant!). Also, you might try spending part of each day on your hands and knees - in the shower or bath, or washing your floors.

I know this can sound like odd advice, but like with the suggestions above you are trying to make your baby more comfortable in a different position. Hands and knees positions are more about turning a "sunny side up" baby back over, but they are apparently helpful generally in moving babies.

I just wanted to give you more things to try.

You can also do a "downward puppy" when the downward dog gets too tiring - this is the same as the downward dog, but you can kneel.

Good luck mama!
#4 of 45 Old 03-15-2002, 12:30 PM

find a good chiro and try a "webster technique"
also, I have heard something about moxibustion, but I'm not sure if it is to turn a breech or to induce labor.
then, people say to play music through earphones that had been placed right by your pubic bone and also flash a light right in that area as well - both will sort of attract the baby.
I am not speaking from experience here, but I've heard of people using those things.

Valeria
dd 05.17.2005
#5 of 45 Old 03-15-2002, 05:43 PM

My son was breach at 36 weeks and I tried just about everything to get him to turn: pelvic rocking 5 times a day, lying on my ironing board at a 45 degree angle for hours, playing music in strategic spots, shining a flashlight on my belly, doing handstands while holding my breath in thermal pools, visualisation of him turning, talking to him and asking him to turn around!
My doctor wasn't keen on me having a breech vaginal birth, and since this was my first baby I was worried about it. I asked my midwife and she didn't offer me much encouragement either. They way I saw it at the time, he either had to turn or I was stuck with a c-section. It was a difficult time for me. I read a lot about it and discovered that the external version had to be done by 36-37 wks at the latest, or the baby would probably be to big to turn. Well, that's what the medical literature said. I've heard so many accounts of babies turning at the last minute, in fact my sister's previously head-down baby turned breech the day before delivery. I guess I didn't want to take the risk that he wouldn't turn on his own, so I went ahead with the external version (against my doctor's wishes...he said it was too interventionist and he didn't like doing them). I had to spend the day in the hospital.....but it worked. End of story. It was not at all painful, contrary to what many people say, but I have to say that I didn't feel great about forcing my little one around. I mean, I felt like I was invading his space.
Looking back I'm glad I did it, because I don't think I would have had the courage or the neccessary support to have a vaginal breech delivery.
If you want to know more about the version, just ask. But I hope that some of the other methods will work for you.

Carolyn
#6 of 45 Old 03-15-2002, 07:55 PM
Kim

#7 of 45 Old 03-15-2002, 08:31 PM

I read somewhere to visualize the baby turning. Talking to your baby might help also.
#8 of 45 Old 03-15-2002, 09:56 PM

Saffron was breech till about 37 weeks. One foot up & one foot down. Definite c-section if she stayed that way. I had acupuncture. I used moxa on the point on my little toe on the outside just below the toe nail. I also stopped eating anything sweet & that included fruit, which was a bit of a bummer coz it was xmas & the middle of summer here. However, she turned at about 37 1/2 weeks
#9 of 45 Old 03-16-2002, 12:43 AM

Hey, Sue, is that you? I just got your email (assuming this is you) and came here to read up on breech babies. You've come to the right place. The mothering boards are a great resource.

What everybody said so far is great advice. Try not to stress, visualize, and get on your hands and knees everyday. I remember reading a funny story here a few months ago when my sister's baby was breech about a woman who's baby turned at, I think, 40 weeks or maybe even later. She was sitting Indian style giving her husband a blow job when she could feel her baby beginning to move towards the proper position. She got up and manuevered the baby with her hands until her baby was fully head down. Not that I'm suggesting you do this, I just thought it was pretty funny.

Good luck!
#10 of 45 Old 03-18-2002, 01:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wow, I had to check and make sure I wasn't chocomoco ours stories are so similar!

Bonnie was breech at 37 weeks and I was very concerned about it because we really wanted a home birth, but more than that I was willing to do damn near anything in the world to avoid a section. There was no one in my area that would deliver a breech vaginally for a first time mom.

Things I tried include:
a session with a hypnotist to help me talk the baby into turning.
same hypnotist, guided visualisation
Daddy talking to, singing and waving flashlights at the bottom of my uterus
pelvic rocking
moxibustion
my chiro wouldn't do the Webster. He wasn't familiar with it and didn't feel comfortable manipulating me to that degree.
I never heard of any dietary assistance.. I would like to hear more about that OceanMomma.
edited because I forgot about using my husbands electric razor at the top of my uterus to annoy the baby into turning.

I finally ended up with a version. Unlike chocomoco it hurt like hell. I hadn't met the doc who did it until he came in that morning to scare the crap out of me with arecitation of the possible complications of a version. So much for relaxing during the procedure! For me, it was worth it. It saved me a trip to Tennessee to see Ina May which was next on my list.

I not sure I would do a version again if I had to choose again. When Bonnie was born she had the shortest umbilical my midwife had seen in 30-some years. I could very easily have abrubted. Sometimes the baby has a very good reason for not turning.

Suebee, is there anyone in your area who would catch your baby if s/he stays breech? Can you go to Tennessee if the the baby stays put? Consider all your options and good luck!

There is a similar thread in homebirth you might want to read.
#11 of 45 Old 03-18-2002, 04:12 PM

We went with the external version.

My doctor won't perform a version UNTIL 37 weeks at the earliest, as it can send you into labor, and she doesn't like things to be any riskier than it has to be.

I experienced absolutely no pain, and Fiona was turned within 3 minutes. Her heartrate never even wavered (but she's a pretty laid back kid). In retrospect I'm glad we did it, it eased my mind (although I had to have an unexpected cesarean anyway due to other reasons).

I felt comfortable with the version (despite all the horrible scare stories I read about them online) because my doctor is/was extremely experienced in both the version technique AND the delievery of breech babies vaginally--so I knew she would not push me towards an elective cesarean.

Weigh all your options before you make a decision, and you might as well try some of the 'home remedy' type of things, as they don't hurt and are free.
#12 of 45 Old 03-19-2002, 04:50 PM

Our baby was also breech at 36 weeks. We tried a lot of the things other people have already listed. One that I didn't see was pulsatilla, a homeopathic remedy. My midwife feels that 9 times out of 10 there are emotional factors involved in a breech baby and to be honest, I think what got our baby to turn was dh and I tuning into our child and working through some of our fears. I also went to a cranial sacral practicioner who balanced some of the energy meridians in my body and "made room" for the baby to turn. Good luck

Christine, mom to ds Myles(3/02),dd Zoie(1/05), ds Sojourn(1/07) and dsd Saige(10/94).  Professional hand analyst, WAHM.
Discover your child's biggest challenge and truly Parent on Purpose
www.christinegulrajani.com
#13 of 45 Old 03-21-2002, 07:33 AM

I work with a lot of moms as their doula, and have heard that this works:

elevate your hips off the ground with your head and back laying flat - then put frozen peas or what ever other frozen veggies that are plyable on the baby's head. The baby will move away from the peas and head for the correct position. You will need to do it every day until the baby locks him/herself into position.

Also know that accupunture works. Actually can see the baby move!
#14 of 45 Old 04-25-2002, 07:17 PM

Location: In the foothills of the magical, misty Smoky Mountains.
I hope this is the right place to post this...

I just got back from an OB visit today. I am due on May 22. The ultrasound revealed that during the last month my son has turned to a feet first position. The doctor said today that if he hasn't turned back head down by May 17 he will schedule me at the hospital & give me an epidural & try to turn him. He stated that if they are sucessful at turning him that I would at that point be induced, if not I would be taken in for a c-section. Is there anything I can do to avoid this??? He stated that the epidural was necessary because turning the baby is quite painful. Is this true? Also if they can turn him why would it be necessary to induce?

My first child was delivered via c-section. My daughter was delivered vaginally with no pain meds but I was induced with her due to not dialating. I cannot stand the thought of having another c-section. It was one of the main reasons I was unsucessful at breastfeeding my son. I also would like to just experience a natural labor/birth process. I have done nothing today but cry over this, my heart is breaking please help!
#15 of 45 Old 04-25-2002, 08:32 PM

Oh Raihana, I can hear how upset you are coming through in your post. I have had no experience with this, so I have no advice, just a hug ((( )))).
Hopefully one of our other Mama's can help.

Thinking of you,
peggy
#16 of 45 Old 04-25-2002, 08:38 PM

i am a regular at a prenatal yoga class and this problem comes up alot. the sikhs swear by listening to the sound of gongs to turn a breech baby.

get a tape and listen listen listen. i don't know where you're located, but i know you can probably find tapes at golden bridge yoga in los angeles.
323 936 4172. maybe you can call them or try their website, or even talk to one of the prenatal yoga teachers about this. hope this helps.

best of luck!!!
#17 of 45 Old 04-25-2002, 09:09 PM

There is a chiropractic technique for turning breach babies - the webster technique? You could try doing hand stands in a pool. there is also lying on an ironing board with the foot end elevated on the couch. Have a serious talk with the baby and tell her/him that she needs to get with the program.

I'm sorry this is happening to you. I would ask your OB what is the benefit with doing a version before your due date. Maybe you had a few more weeks to wait then the baby would turn on its own.

Keep in touch and good luck!
#18 of 45 Old 04-25-2002, 10:06 PM

try going to the chiropractor. it is called the websters technique. it is an adjustment of the pelvis i had it done a few times because i was worried about having a breech baby again. he ended up turning though. i did have a natural vbac. anyways i think doing the version is a good idea. they do it in the OR incase there are problems. youn dont have to have an epidural but i would consider some kind of relaxant. i have heard and read that versions work best with a relaxed uterus it can be painfully uncomfortable.
i would request a heprin lock instead of a routine iv and dont let them induce you even if the baby doesnt turn . let your body go into labor naturally to insure a full term bambino.

i just reread your post and it made me kind of mad that your doctor has so little faith in the body. you can have more than on version done if your baby decides to turn back. and definately do a search on google about versions it does pose some risks. i speak of it lightly only because i am not faced with the decision. i think you should wait to have the baby (even after the version)until baby is ready to enter the world.

so go to the chiropractor , go swimming, do a head stand, lay with a couple of pillows under the small of your back so your head is down and you are at a 45 degree angle. this is supposed to disengage the baby from the pelvis so he has room to turn.. do a search on turning breech babies i bet you will find some promising ideas.
i had a c-sec with my first because he was breech so i read a lot about it because i was at a higher risk for a breech with #2. good luck sweetie and if you need someone to talk to you can PM me remember to stay as relaxed as you can. and dont let that doctor boss you around he is working for you and its your baby and your body. if you are not due until the 22 then you have plenty of time. i went into labor naturally with ds #1 and he was breech and it was better for him and my body to go into labor on its own instead of being induced or scheduled c.

good luck!
AngelaB
#19 of 45 Old 04-25-2002, 10:15 PM

I am a chiropractor and I would definetly try the Webster technique.It has worked for many moms. Hope this helps
#20 of 45 Old 04-26-2002, 04:06 AM

bump
#21 of 45 Old 04-26-2002, 04:29 AM

What great positive stories and advice. I wish ya'll were around when this exact thing happened to me. I tried most of the suggestions here, I read EVERY bookstore book and EVERY library book I could find and there are more suggestions here than in all those books. (I certainly didn't see anything about a blow job, too funny.)

I ended up with a c-section. I called everyone who I could think of, even Ina May. She wouldn't take me because it was my first baby. I felt bad about it for a long time, but you know what? It's been 4 years and I don't feel bad about it anymore. Someone along the way told me, you got pregnant to have a baby, not a vaginal birth. There was just a teeny tiny bit of wisdom there.

I really really did not like doctors (and like them even less after my c-section.) IF I have another baby, I know that will have a home birth after c-section (HBAC).

Good luck to you and your baby!
#22 of 45 Old 04-26-2002, 09:39 AM

I know of this working in 3 cases!!
Go to an acupuncturist and have them perform moxibustion on you... moxa is a pressed stick of the herb mugwort that is burned and held near the body to add warmth/energy to specific acu points and muscle areas... for breech babies it is held above the very last point on the Urinary Bladded channel, which is at the tip of the outside of the little toe...
Sounds crazy, but it has great success rate!! It's completely safe, comfortable, and non-invasive!
#23 of 45 Old 04-26-2002, 11:35 AM

guys,
heres' another thing i've heard of (never tried it myself, but it is harmless, so why not give it a shot) - pace something really cold (like apack of frozen veggies ot ice) on top of your uterus. teh babe will try to get its head away from the cold and might turn head down this way.

Valeria
dd 05.17.2005
#24 of 45 Old 04-26-2002, 03:45 PM

I have heard that COL Midwife... unfortunately my midwife wouldn't do it and refered me to a gyn who had a pretty good record of turning babes. It is very hard to find someone to deliver a breech on an untried pelvis. It's dumb but it's true. If Ina May won't I don't know who will or how you would find him or her!

I don't think WE here consider sections safer but the docs are convinced it is the only way to go... in part because they havn't learned their job and don't know how to catch a breech. I'm getting all wound up now so I should take a break.
#25 of 45 Old 04-26-2002, 08:03 PM

Suebee, As others have said, my advice is that I would try all of these other non-intrusive procedures before trying a version.

I had a version by a midwife (two different times) and once by a medical doctor ONLY AFTER I tried many many of the suggestions here. Both the midwife and the doctor HURT alot. The second time the midwife tried it, it hurt way less because I was prepared for the pain - the doctor never said anything about pain just started pushing! The second time the midwife tried it I also had had one shot of tequila (the only drop of alcohol I had all through my pregnancy and 4 years of nursing). That time didn't hurt much, but luckily my husband was there because I was saying Try it Again Try it Again (I wanted so badly for the procedure to work) and the baby's heart beat was slowing down. My dh brought me to my senses and said NO MORE.

I would have tried the many other cool suggestions made here but after three versions my poor dd said I AM OUT OF HERE WHAT IS GOING ON and was born 3 and 1/2 weeks early.

I couldn't find any doctor in my area to deliver a breech baby vaginally. Somebody told me it was because I lived in a big metropolitan area where malpractice suits are sky-high. They said if I lived in a smaller town, that I may have gotten a doctor to do it.
#26 of 45 Old 04-26-2002, 11:05 PM

I have heard that water helps. Swimming or floating or just hanging out I guess but submerged. SOmething about bouency (sp?). Good luck. There is noone here who will deliver a breech. The one DFr. who does it is retiring. I think my midwife woiuld do it but she doesn't have any experiance so they won't let her (the dr. in her practice) see that circular motion there. No experiance so we can't do it which means no experiance. . . .

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#27 of 45 Old 04-27-2002, 12:36 AM

do try a chiropractor, I have heard about a lot of sucess with the Webster technique.
My doctor turned my son when I was 36 wks (the reason they don't wait till you due date is twofold...if you go into labor early, they have a breech babe & as the baby gets bigger it's harder to turn it w/o risking damage to the cord or plasenta. they also can't do it too early or the baby just flips back!). My doctor gave me a muscle relaxer and pain meds before doing the version. From what the nurses said afterwards I understand that this was unusual (my doc was awsome and I guess he does somethings differantly because he usually specializes in only high risk pregnancies; he's a perinatoligist) and that usually it just hurt like hell (again, according to the nurses). I don't understand why they would use an epidoral though, knowing that it has very common side effects. Also make sure that your doctor plans to use an ultrasound machine to see whats happening inside as he does the version (lowers the risk of catching the cord and causing plasenta damage...causing an emergancy c-section). If you are not induced after the version there is a risk of the baby turning back but so what at worst you will have a c-section (sounds like you doc plans that anyway if you don't have the version) and at best it stays head down and you get a full term baby! by the way I did carry my son to 38 weeks when he came on his own and was born head first in the easist labor I've had yet.
Good luck!

mom to four lively children. birth and postpartum doula. midwifery student. choosing to enjoy life. :
#28 of 45 Old 04-27-2002, 02:13 AM

I heard something at work the other night, an OB in my town has a goofy non invasive method that works for turning breaches. Take a bag of frozen peas and lay it on your belly on top while you are laying down. if you put it near where the baby's head is the baby will turn vertex to get away from the cold peas. It has to be peas. He has told women to do this and at the next sono the babies have been vertex.

This is far from guarenteed, but the OB in question is Mr cautious and he asked me what I was trying to prove with my two natural and normal births. I told him my two mec delivery babies would not have benefitted from my having narcotics. so he's pretty mainstream in a lot of respects.

Just call him Dr. Peas
#29 of 45 Old 04-27-2002, 08:47 PM

I'm sorry to hear about your situation.
I've heard that a flashlight can help to turn a baby.
I think what you do is lie down relaxed and have someone guide the baby with the light. I have no idea if this works...
Your prob better off with the chiropractor.
#30 of 45 Old 04-27-2002, 09:06 PM

Have your partner talk to the baby, close to your belly, and down low, the idea is that the baby will turn to get closer to the sound, same thing with playing music through headphones and placing them down low on your belly.

Because I'm midwifery/home birth oriented I always think of midwifery today as a resource (a great magazine with a great website and discussion boards like this). I would think that you could get some support and advice there, even if you're having an OB birth. I think their web address is just www.midwiferytoday.com good luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page