slowly recovering from H1N1 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-07-2009, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
3 days so far of 101 fever and major aches and coughs and fatigue. I have it and all my 3 kids and hubby had it. We never take any fever suppresants or anything. Just double checking with you all,... it is ok for the babe that I had a 101 temp for 3 days (and counting), right? I had read in Anne Frye's midwifery book that a maternal oral temp of up to 104 is generally safe for the fetus (which brings me lots of relief).
#2 of 5 Old 10-07-2009, 12:44 AM

How pregnant are you and are you taking anything ??

Formally known as jazmommie
Momma to 4 Indigo kids ,22,19,11 and 3
#3 of 5 Old 10-07-2009, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaonthefarm View Post
3 days so far of 101 fever and major aches and coughs and fatigue. I have it and all my 3 kids and hubby had it. We never take any fever suppresants or anything. Just double checking with you all,... it is ok for the babe that I had a 101 temp for 3 days (and counting), right? I had read in Anne Frye's midwifery book that a maternal oral temp of up to 104 is generally safe for the fetus (which brings me lots of relief).
Where are you in your pregnancy? I can't tell since you don't have a signature. To be perfectly honest, I would not risk it. 102+ is the risky place to be as far as temps and likely you have gotten there without even knowing it. 104 is pretty high. Too high for alot of people and could cause seizures in some. There are some birth defects that can occur during the first trimester if your temp gets too high. Risks during the second/third trimester include premature labor among other things. Especially if it turns into pneumonia and/or bronchitis which is the real risk with the H1N1 and pregnant women.

I too have H1N1 and decided to go with the MW recommendation to take tamiflu and tylenol. Honestly, just taking tylenol would probably suffice. You really need to get that temp down.

Take care of yourself and your baby.

Lindsey: wife to Noah, Mom to Ethan 5 and Jonathan 2,  Baby Boy #3 due May 2012, 7 angels

#4 of 5 Old 10-07-2009, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. I forgot to say how far long I am: 19 weeks. And no, my fever never got near 102. The highest it has been is 101.2. Mostly, it hovers around 101 or 100. For me, my liver does not do well with fever suppresants. In my first pregnancy, I was told to take a fever suppresant for a slight fever (I wish I hadn't) and it sent me into intrahepatic cholestasis. So I am really aiming to avoid that. So, at 19 weeks, is a fever that hovers around 100-101 for 4 days ok for thebabe?
Thanks
#5 of 5 Old 10-07-2009, 08:45 PM

I had a fever when I was pregnant with DD2 and my midwife wasn't too concerned. If you are, you could try some cool showers and wash cloths on the forehead and armpits. Feel better soon.

Mama to : '05, '08, '10 and expecting our 3rd homebirth.jpgJanuary '13

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page