Subbing.

Sarah, with 3.5 yo DD Charlotte + brand new baby Eleanor Jane April 28, 2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2009, 11:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just wanted to add to this great thread that some homeopaths are also recommending Nux Vomica 30c or 200c as the primary homeopathic remedy for H1N1. I can say that despite having been exposed several times through spring/summer/fall, we haven't had anything serious BUT have used Nux when indicated. FWIW, I have used homeopathy at home with my family for well over 10 years with much success. I personally have found more success with a single indicated remedy over the oscilli...but I would certainly use it as well if I wasn't sure of the needed remedy.

Cindy, loving wife of 15 years
homeschooling mama to 4 wonderful girls, and 1 boy!  praying for #6, sch, due 4/14/2013!

Old 10-30-2009, 09:49 AM

I'm a bit curious about how everyone who says they had the flu knows it was swine flu? A lot of the descriptions sound more like a cold to me.

I like the mind to be a dustbin of scraps of brilliant fabric, odd gems, worthless but fascinating curiosities, tinsel, quaint bits of carving, and a reasonable amount of healthy dirt.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beppie View Post
*** I also took Apple Cider Vinegar daily, from 1-3 Tbsp. with juice (Midwife recommended that as it helps the body be alkaline. Apparently colds/flu thrive in more acidic environment? correct me if I'm wrong)
How would apple cider vinegar help if the flu thrives in more acidic environments? Vinegar is an acid: wouldn't that make your body a MORE acidic environment?
Old 11-01-2009, 12:36 AM

subbing

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

Old 11-01-2009, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegoat View Post
I'm a bit curious about how everyone who says they had the flu knows it was swine flu? A lot of the descriptions sound more like a cold to me.
For us, my DD went down with flu symptoms. Dr did a flu test that didnt subtype it as H1N1, but came back positive and she hypothized that due to the % that came back H1N1 here when they were sending off for subtyping, that it was probably H1N1. The next week I went down with fever, chills, bodyaches, headaches, sore throat, chest crud etc, that now 4 weeks later I am still trying to totally rid myself of. My other DD and DH went down ill with same symptoms as well.

My Dr guess that since my DD had the flu, chances were we did too. I do not have anything to compare it to, as this was the first time in my life I ever had the flu and indeed, it was the sickest I have ever been.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:11 PM

just subbing. Interesting thread to read others responses to it.

Me and Dh partners.gif, Dd1bouncy.gif  Dd2dust.gif,Ds1joy.gif, 2flowerkitty.gif, 2hamster.jpgand lots of goldfish.gif

Old 11-04-2009, 02:40 PM

Bumping this thread because I am starting to get very worried and would like any more stories to quell or substantiate my fears

Mom to DD born 1989 DS born 1993 and grandma to
DGS born 2005
Old 11-04-2009, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boigrrrlwonder View Post
How would apple cider vinegar help if the flu thrives in more acidic environments? Vinegar is an acid: wouldn't that make your body a MORE acidic environment?
http://www.eating-veggies.com/applecidervinegar.htm
I thought the same thing, so I googled it. It's interesting how vinegar would work to bring your body back to being alkaline. Another site I clicked on did mention immune deficiency if your pH is out of whack. Who knew!? Now to choke down some apple cider vinegar...yuck.

Mama of 2 sweet boys, Miles (Jan 3/07) and Avery (Nov 28/09) My fast and furious HBAC
Old 11-04-2009, 11:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jess152 View Post
http://www.eating-veggies.com/applecidervinegar.htm
I thought the same thing, so I googled it. It's interesting how vinegar would work to bring your body back to being alkaline. Another site I clicked on did mention immune deficiency if your pH is out of whack. Who knew!? Now to choke down some apple cider vinegar...yuck.
does it have to be the unpasteurized kind? or will regular vinegar work?

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:06 PM

I'll relay our most recent experiences. I am 26 weeks and have a DD3, DD11, and DH.

My DD3 had a low grade fever (99.5-100.5), runny nose, cranky, and slight cough. Twenty-four hours later, I had a runny nose, sore throat, slight cough, and headache. On the same day at almost the same time, my daughter saw her pediatrician while I was on the phone with my OB (their policy for symptoms). The diagnosis for my daughter was that she was not H1N1 but a cold. For me however, they felt I was H1N1 and prescribed Tamiflu.

I picked up the prescription but asked to speak to the pharmacist. I told him I didn't like the idea of Tamiflu in my pregnant body and told him my symptoms. I asked him how I would know if it was a cold or the flu? The pharmacist said that the flu brings on an onset of symptoms very suddenly, one after the other making you feel worse and worse by the end of the 1st-2nd day. Knowing that my window for Tamiflu was 48 hours, and it had only been 24 hours, I waited to see what happened the next day.... My symptoms actually improved - runny/congested nose but no sore throat and no cough now.

During the first 48 hours of this cold, I took vitamin C and Oscillococcinum and every time I did, I felt better. I realize there are many people who believe Oscillococcinum is bunk because it is duck liver and it is just mind over matter. But every time I gave it to DD3 with her fever, the fever has gone down and 4.5 hours later goes back up. When I take it, my nose clears up and my headache subsides for the next 4.5 hours.

You have to take Oscillococcinum every 6 hours and it takes about 90 minutes to do it's immunity stimulating magic. It works to lessen your misery but isn't a cure. I've used it many time in the past with similar results. I recommend it to pregnant mamas who get cold or flu symptoms to cut down on the severity of the illness.

We just received Sambucus from our Coop today and we'll see how that does at keeping viruses away as well as healing our colds.

(edit in: I didn't take the Tamiflu)
Old 11-05-2009, 06:42 PM

Regarding the apple cider vinegar. YOu really should take the raw stuff. Mix a tsp or so of acv, with some honey and warm or room temp water. It doesn't taste bad at all that way, imo.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:27 PM

A day after I posted my reply, my DD12 was dismissed from school for chills, aches / muscle pain, high fever, cough, and sore throat. That day 50% of her homeroom was out sick.

I gave my daughter Oscillococcinum every 6 hours for 2 days, plus oranges and lots of liquids. After the first day, her fever decreased to 99.5 and by the 3rd day, the fever, aches/pains and chills were gone. By day 4, all she had was the runny nose and cough. She recovered much quicker than her classmates.

The rest of us took elderberry extract and we did not get sick.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:32 PM

What is Oscillococcinum?? What does it do and can you take it while pregnant??
Where can I get it from??

Tee wife to Peter! Mama to Angel baby and Miracle baby born February 23rd 2010
Old 11-10-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFox View Post
What is Oscillococcinum?? What does it do and can you take it while pregnant??
Where can I get it from??
Oscillococcinum is a homeopathic flu remedy. Per my midwife, it is safe during pregnancy. I've seen it at my local Whole Foods, or you can order it online at most drug stores (like vitacost or such).

Amanda, mama to Owen (11/05) and Connor (10/07) and Aria (12/09) Recycled Wool Longies and Reusable Baggies

User Tag List