Pregnant Vegans ~ Fall/Winter Thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 122 Old 11-18-2009, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks, Cocoanib! It's such a relief to be in their care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juise View Post
racheloperasinger -

Did they say anything about your Rainbow Light Prenatal Vitamin? Last pregnancy my MW took one look at them and said that she couldn't understand how a prenatal could be one a day since it isn't possible to absorb all of the vitamins at once, and told me to take one in the morning and one in the evening.

Is the one packet of Emergen-C to help balance that? I usually have 2 packets a day, I hope I'm not overdoing it.

It depends on how my day is going if / when I have been able to stomach a vitamin.

I'm also wondering now if I could just cut the Rainbow Light in half and take half in the morning, half in the evening..
That's a good question. I should ask about that, because I think there is a not-one-a-day version too.

Yeah, the emergen-c is definitely to make sure that my vitamin c levels are more constant, since it's so water-soluble and you just pee it out so quickly. My midwives told me no more than 1000 mg per 24 hours (or 18 hours if I think I really need it) because it can trigger uterine movement. I don't know if that's pertinent for early pregnancy or not. And my hypnobirthing teacher told us that vitamin C can help you hold on to your bag of water longer during labor. Sounds good to me!

I hear you. I didn't take any prenatal vitamin for weeks and months, ever since 7 weeks pregnant, when I discovered that my morning sickness was a little better without it. I only got back on it, like a couple months later. I hope it didn't do any damage, but I do eat a pretty good diet.

Check this out: http://www.rainbowlight.com/Categori...1-f59a935097c4 Rainbow Light Prenatal "Petite". Worth a shot! Good luck and hang in there through this trimester. I swear sometimes the first trimester is one of the number one deterrants to the idea of us having one more. Not labor, not postpartum, not lack of sleep, just frickin' morning sickness and fatigue!! Feel better soon!

Rachel, mommy to Ella (10/19/06) and Kaia (1/4/10), wife to Michael . Just another vegan, attachment parenting, homebirthing, UU & Buddhist, CLWing, bedsharing, vegetable gardening, Bay Area crunchy mom!
#62 of 122 Old 11-25-2009, 08:32 PM

Hi, I just found this thread!

I am a longtime vegan, newly pregnant (found out a few days ago) with my 1st at the age of 38. EDD (based on online calculators) is July 30, first prenatal appointment is in 4 weeks time.

I've been pretty nauseous for the last 2.5 weeks but managed to keep food down so far, just not all that motivated to eat.

Interested in the discussion on supplements, I've been taking folic acid and making sure I've been good about my nutritional yeast, blackstrap molasses, ground flaxseed, and fortified soymilk and tofu (not to mention all the fruit, veg, whole grains and legumes).

I'm not sure whether I should be taking a complete prenatal vitamin or not. I think I probably should because I travel a lot for work, and it's hard to make sure I get good balanced meals when I'm on the road.

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

#63 of 122 Old 11-25-2009, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somegirl99 View Post
Hi, I just found this thread!

I am a longtime vegan, newly pregnant (found out a few days ago) with my 1st at the age of 38. EDD (based on online calculators) is July 30, first prenatal appointment is in 4 weeks time.

I've been pretty nauseous for the last 2.5 weeks but managed to keep food down so far, just not all that motivated to eat.

Interested in the discussion on supplements, I've been taking folic acid and making sure I've been good about my nutritional yeast, blackstrap molasses, ground flaxseed, and fortified soymilk and tofu (not to mention all the fruit, veg, whole grains and legumes).
I'm not sure whether I should be taking a complete prenatal vitamin or not. I think I probably should because I travel a lot for work, and it's hard to make sure I get good balanced meals when I'm on the road.
Congrat's!!
Looks like you're on top of your nutrition. Awesome! I was a nutritional wreck from about 6-12 weeks, but now I'm back on track. I started taking a prenatal when my eating and supplements took a nose dive. Even though, I'm on track again, I continue to take my prenatal and last month added in a calcium/ magnesium/ vit d supplement. I usually do that before bed and the prenatal sometime during the day. In addition, I have a green smoothie with super green protein powder or green juice every other day. I'm also drinking nettles and rrl.

Lovin my sweet babygirl 3-17-10love.gif and expecting another in March! love.gif

#64 of 122 Old 11-26-2009, 03:33 PM

Thanks Cocoanib! Maybe I'll look into some green smoothies, sounds like a good idea.

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

#65 of 122 Old 11-27-2009, 12:47 AM

Hi, can I join? I'm actually vegetarian/former vegan. I was vegan for three years then compromised to veg for my meaty partner and my 6yo dd who LOVES eggs and cheese. We don't do any animal milk, just soy/rice.

I recently found out that I'm pg. My apparent EDD (online calculators) is around July 25. I don't have a midwife yet; I'm feeling out homebirth midwives in my area. I really want a homebirth, but live in a sh!tty dark apartment and am depressed just thinking about birthing here . . . we were planning on moving to a beautiful, light-filled farmhouse where I would love to birth my new little one, but my partner has neglected for a week to turn in the application . . . so we'll see if that's going to happen or not. Sorry, I'm ranting.

Anyways, the reason I'd like to join is that I'm really struggling with my diet and feeling like I'm totally protein-starving my tiny little jelly bean. I'm sure that part of it is the first trimester thing--I have been really nauseous all day and even at night (like my nausea will actually wake me up and keep me awake) and don't want to eat ANYthing, especially soy which has been a big protein source for me in the past.

I'm taking Emergen-C and sharing my daughter's chewable multis (which are high in Folic acid); I just started the Floradix iron supplement and think it's very good. I'm trying to make myself take a shot of chlorella in water daily, but it's not very tasty (actually I think it's really gross) and since I'm on the verge of retching all day, I'm skipping the chlorella til the nausea passes a bit. I also always take calcium, sometimes take my oils, and have been chugging coconut kefir like it's manna from heaven. Oh, I'm also doing red raz leaf tea almost every day, when I think of it.

So . . . I don't want nut butters, I don't want tofu, I don't want soysage, and even the thought of eggs or cheese turns my stomach. Seitan has never sat well with me (I think I may have a slight gluten prob) I don't know what to do! I've been eating green leafies, at least. A bitter salad with balsamic and sea salt has been helping the nausea. But seriously, last night even beans and rice was too much. So Silk vanilla soy yogurt is pretty much all I can handle lately, and I ran out today!

So I'd like to join your thread, if that's okay. I really need some support/ideas from other preggie veg-heads coz I'm kind of at a loss here. I feel like all I can handle is green vegetables and a bite of fruit. I do eat lots of whole grains, but I have to FORCE it down and then feel gaggy afterward (seriously? brown rice? I can't handle brown rice?!). I'm very frustrated and feeling guilty because I know that good nutrition is key to pregnancy and healthy labor.

This is my first veg pregnancy, and I don't know any veg mamas IRL. So let me in, please! Can you see I need some help here!?

Happy and in love with my family!
#66 of 122 Old 11-27-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craft_media_hero View Post
Hi, can I join? I'm actually vegetarian/former vegan. I was vegan for three years then compromised to veg for my meaty partner and my 6yo dd who LOVES eggs and cheese. We don't do any animal milk, just soy/rice.

I recently found out that I'm pg. My apparent EDD (online calculators) is around July 25. I don't have a midwife yet; I'm feeling out homebirth midwives in my area. I really want a homebirth, but live in a sh!tty dark apartment and am depressed just thinking about birthing here . . . we were planning on moving to a beautiful, light-filled farmhouse where I would love to birth my new little one, but my partner has neglected for a week to turn in the application . . . so we'll see if that's going to happen or not. Sorry, I'm ranting.

Anyways, the reason I'd like to join is that I'm really struggling with my diet and feeling like I'm totally protein-starving my tiny little jelly bean. I'm sure that part of it is the first trimester thing--I have been really nauseous all day and even at night (like my nausea will actually wake me up and keep me awake) and don't want to eat ANYthing, especially soy which has been a big protein source for me in the past.

I'm taking Emergen-C and sharing my daughter's chewable multis (which are high in Folic acid); I just started the Floradix iron supplement and think it's very good. I'm trying to make myself take a shot of chlorella in water daily, but it's not very tasty (actually I think it's really gross) and since I'm on the verge of retching all day, I'm skipping the chlorella til the nausea passes a bit. I also always take calcium, sometimes take my oils, and have been chugging coconut kefir like it's manna from heaven. Oh, I'm also doing red raz leaf tea almost every day, when I think of it.

So . . . I don't want nut butters, I don't want tofu, I don't want soysage, and even the thought of eggs or cheese turns my stomach. Seitan has never sat well with me (I think I may have a slight gluten prob) I don't know what to do! I've been eating green leafies, at least. A bitter salad with balsamic and sea salt has been helping the nausea. But seriously, last night even beans and rice was too much. So Silk vanilla soy yogurt is pretty much all I can handle lately, and I ran out today!

So I'd like to join your thread, if that's okay. I really need some support/ideas from other preggie veg-heads coz I'm kind of at a loss here. I feel like all I can handle is green vegetables and a bite of fruit. I do eat lots of whole grains, but I have to FORCE it down and then feel gaggy afterward (seriously? brown rice? I can't handle brown rice?!). I'm very frustrated and feeling guilty because I know that good nutrition is key to pregnancy and healthy labor.

This is my first veg pregnancy, and I don't know any veg mamas IRL. So let me in, please! Can you see I need some help here!?
Welcome, congrats, and I'm so sorry to hear you're having such a rough time. I'm just starting to really feel a bit better now myself (12.5 weeks).

I understand not being about to stomach brown rice. During this preg, as well as my last, I only could really tolerate cool, slightly crisp foods. The thought of the hot steam rising off of food even turns my stomach a little now. The fresh stuff is what I craved. I always enjoyed apples with almond butter, grapes, bitter greens, pickles (Bubbies with the live cultures are wonderful), carrots and celery (which I try to have a dip with, like hummus).

Sounds like you're actually doing pretty well with food and nutrition...I do remember last preg not eating much of anything (except apple sauce) for about 2 weeks. I have found drinking my greens (I love Kyo-greens) in a little OJ to be doable.

Give yourself a little break...you'll get back to your normal diet when your body feels up to it. Plus, your good diet leading up to this point really helped to fill your nutritional stores up.

Take Care and Congrats again!

Vegan Momma to DD1 (4.5) and DD2 (1.5). Gardening, creating, cooking and hoping for a change of scenery soon!

#67 of 122 Old 11-28-2009, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthetrail View Post
Welcome, congrats, and I'm so sorry to hear you're having such a rough time. I'm just starting to really feel a bit better now myself (12.5 weeks).

I understand not being about to stomach brown rice. During this preg, as well as my last, I only could really tolerate cool, slightly crisp foods. The thought of the hot steam rising off of food even turns my stomach a little now. The fresh stuff is what I craved. I always enjoyed apples with almond butter, grapes, bitter greens, pickles (Bubbies with the live cultures are wonderful), carrots and celery (which I try to have a dip with, like hummus).

Sounds like you're actually doing pretty well with food and nutrition...I do remember last preg not eating much of anything (except apple sauce) for about 2 weeks. I have found drinking my greens (I love Kyo-greens) in a little OJ to be doable.

Give yourself a little break...you'll get back to your normal diet when your body feels up to it. Plus, your good diet leading up to this point really helped to fill your nutritional stores up.

Take Care and Congrats again!
Ah, thanks for the welcome and reassurance.

Today was pretty rough as well. DD and I had leftover fried oatmeal with rice milk for brek and then managed a little pita and salad for lunch. I have been eating quarter portions as anything more sets me off. I was nauseated and had NO appetite until 5:30, then a huge craving for my fav pad prik tofu with white rice and green tea. So the fam and I went to our Thai restaurant, and I was hugely relieved to be able to eat what I consider a normal portion for dinner. Funny thing, spicy and bitter have been okay at most times--I got the tofu as spicy as they make it, and it was delish! Now I'm wondering what it would cost me to get pad prik tofu take-out every day for the next two months

I've got wheels tomorrow, so I can run around and get a new blender, re-up my soygurt, and in general just pick up whatever produce I think I can handle at the grocery store.

Thanks for the suggestion on taking the greens in orange juice; I will try that. I think the chlorella is great for nutrition, but I'm just *bleht* on getting it down.

#68 of 122 Old 11-28-2009, 02:34 PM

craft_media_hero, do you think you can eat beans, chickpeas or quinoa porridges? quinoa is a complete protein I think and there's so many beans... quinoa can also be baked into muffins or banana bread.

hh2.gif

#69 of 122 Old 12-01-2009, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceane View Post
craft_media_hero, do you think you can eat beans, chickpeas or quinoa porridges? quinoa is a complete protein I think and there's so many beans... quinoa can also be baked into muffins or banana bread.
Well, I feel silly for not realizing that quinoa is a complete protein I have a cannister of it, and tho the hot cooked grain thing is grossing me out lately, homemade baked goods sounds yummy! Do you have to cook it before adding it to a muffin recipe?

I've just recently leveled up to being able to eat beans after five o'clock, lol. Thank all the powers that be! I'm a bit picky about it still, but a black bean burrito is doable at this point. Seriously, I was wondering how I was going to get any protein at all for a while!

#70 of 122 Old 12-02-2009, 01:04 PM

Hello all, I have a few questions for you.....yesterday, I had a visit with my midwife and found that I had gained 10 pounds last month (I am 26 weeks along), putting me at about 25 pounds gained since the start of this pregnancy. She was very concerned about this gain, saying it could be a precursor to gestational diabetes and her recommendation was that I cut carbohydrates and increase protein (specifically by drinking hemp protein smoothies, eating more hummus, and some raw food bars) she said eating a pb&j sandwich for lunch and having kashi cereal with almond milk for breakfast (just an example of what I had eaten that day...certainly not what I have on a daily basis) is way too many carbohydrates and I shouldn't have too much in the way of whole grains. I understand some of what she is saying, but I thought that complex carbohydrates are essential and that I should eat plenty of them (she said not to eat rice, cereal, oatmeal, quinoa, bread..etc on a regular basis and that I am not to eat more than one fruit per day). The most surprising thing she said, and I am not sure about how true it is, is that most of the people who go to their practice that end up with GD are vegans (because they eat too many carbohydrates). Just seems hard to believe.....

Anyway, I was wondering how all of you do with gradual weight gain and if you altered (or were asked to alter) your vegan diet in any way during pregnancy (more vegan protein sources, less grains and fruit?)
#71 of 122 Old 12-04-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolette507 View Post
Hello all, I have a few questions for you.....yesterday, I had a visit with my midwife and found that I had gained 10 pounds last month (I am 26 weeks along), putting me at about 25 pounds gained since the start of this pregnancy. She was very concerned about this gain, saying it could be a precursor to gestational diabetes and her recommendation was that I cut carbohydrates and increase protein (specifically by drinking hemp protein smoothies, eating more hummus, and some raw food bars) she said eating a pb&j sandwich for lunch and having kashi cereal with almond milk for breakfast (just an example of what I had eaten that day...certainly not what I have on a daily basis) is way too many carbohydrates and I shouldn't have too much in the way of whole grains. I understand some of what she is saying, but I thought that complex carbohydrates are essential and that I should eat plenty of them (she said not to eat rice, cereal, oatmeal, quinoa, bread..etc on a regular basis and that I am not to eat more than one fruit per day). The most surprising thing she said, and I am not sure about how true it is, is that most of the people who go to their practice that end up with GD are vegans (because they eat too many carbohydrates). Just seems hard to believe.....

Anyway, I was wondering how all of you do with gradual weight gain and if you altered (or were asked to alter) your vegan diet in any way during pregnancy (more vegan protein sources, less grains and fruit?)
This all sounds suspicious to me, personally. I don't have time at the moment, but I'm curious to see what kinds of information someone skilled in Google-fu can turn up.

Here's one site about avoiding GD while eating a vegan diet:

http://www.vegfamily.com/dietician/1004a.htm

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#72 of 122 Old 12-04-2009, 08:09 PM

i just wanted to pop in and say that i found a new mw who said that the fact that I'm vegan indicates that I am very aware of what goes into my mouth

Nicolette, your mw's advice doesn't sound right to me either. whole grains are a lot different from complex carbs, which I think play more of a role in GD than anything else. does she check your pee for glucose?

also, i think it's fairly common not to gain weight evenly. during my last pregnancy i would gain lots of weight one month, then nothing the next, but overall i gained a decent amount and my baby was really healthy, and in the 50th percentile for weight. i talked to other mamas who've had this happen too.. and each time, my ob would yell at me for my weight
#73 of 122 Old 12-04-2009, 08:31 PM

Nicolette, I'm dealing with the same thing. Ugh, it's beyond a nightmare! Basically what I can gather is that GD is all about counting carbs (I found a carbs-per-meal spread here - you have to scroll a little bit to get to it). But yeah, what I'm finding is that even whole grains - and legumes/beans! - have TONS of carbs. I'm kind of going out of my mind trying to deal with it.

Backstory - I've gained 36 lbs so far and I'm 30 weeks - this is a much higher weight gain for me than my first. I also just *barely* squeeked by on my glucose screening - their cutoff was 140 and I scored 137. Looking at the symptoms of GD, I realize that I kind of do have some of them. So I've been trying to keep better track of my diet to see what's what. Well, what's what is that it SUCKS to have GD and try to eat vegan! I had been eating eggs this pregnancy and occasional cheese, but seriously without relying on soy WAY too much I don't really understand how anyone could do it vegan. I'm sure it's possible, but I don't get how. Also, my husband has a wheat sensitivity and doesn't do dairy, so cooking for our family right now feels impossible! He can't have regular pasta, I can't have brown rice pasta (too many carbs), he can't have seitan/field roast/almost any faux meat....ugh...sorry to hijack, I've just been reeling with this info and feel unbelievably defeated and frustrated.

Just to give you an idea, 1 C of cooked quinoa has 39 grams of carbs - and if I'm supposed to be around 45 g for lunch and between 45-60 g for dinner, that's a BIG hunk of carbs! 1 C of brown rice is 45 g carbs. 1 C of whole wheat spaghetti is 37 g. Black beans are 41 g per cup, lentils are 40 g/C and chickpeas are 45 g/C. The ezekial whole wheat sprouted seed bread I get is 15 g per slice! Since you have to count the carbs of everything you eat - not just the grain portion - it really can add up fast. Almost everything has carbs (except for some dairy like string cheese).

I almost don't understand how one gets enough calories on this diet? I'm tracking my foods in SparkPeople to try to get a handle on it, but it's super frustrating (I would use BabyFit but SparkPeople's database has WAY more vegetarian foods already entered - barely any in BabyFit).

I'm also looking into getting a glucometer - upon my midwife's suggestion - to keep a better eye on my blood sugar levels. Just waiting for my ND to call in the prescription...

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#74 of 122 Old 12-04-2009, 11:19 PM

It's not really the number of carbs that is the issue, it's the glycemic index. Foods with a high glycemic index (e.g. sweets, bread, potatoes, rice) will raise your blood sugar very quickly. Foods with a lower glycemic index (e.g. beans, lentils, barley) will have a much smaller effect on your blood sugar.

Here are a couple of charts of glycemic index, you can google for more:
http://www.carbs-information.com/gly...food-chart.htm
http://www.myfit.ca/glycemic_index.asp

#75 of 122 Old 12-04-2009, 11:22 PM

Thanks for the info, it helps to know I am not the only one dealing with this. Sprouthead, yes, the urine strip comes out negative every month. One more question for those who have already done the Glucose Tolerance test.....the directions say not to eat anything that morning. But the midwife said that I should eat and then tell them I have not eaten when they ask me. She also told me to bring a bottle of water in my bag and drink it in the bathroom before they take my blood. Seems so sneaky, anyone advised to not follow the test directions???
#76 of 122 Old 12-04-2009, 11:49 PM

So, I had GD with my last pregnancy, when I was not vegan. I always tested negative on the urine test strips, had no other clinical symptoms, and only gained 22 pounds. So, you don't have to match any set of symptoms to get the diagnosis.

I never did get any bad readings on my blood glucose though, it seems that glucola was just really rough on my system. There are a few out there (I believe Micheal Odent was previously mentioned) who don't really believe in the label itself. I don't know that I ever would have know I *had* GD if I hadn't taken their test...

Anyhow, I was really cautious about counting carbs, but I also didn't know how many great foods are available that fit the bill. I used/wished I known about bran crackers (no carbs, just fiber), hemp bread/bagels (really low carbs, lots of protein), loads of almond butter, hummus, sweetening tea with stevia or agave (there is a soy yogurt sweetened with agave now...yum!), non-soy protein powders, adding almond meal to rolled oats/steel cut oats for breakfast/anything to boost protein and fat.

Anyhow, I think the best way to really know what is going on with your body is to use a blood glucose monitor frequently...and find out how your body responds to different foods. I don't believe glucola is an honest measure of how your body is dealing with blood glucose/insulin sensitivity.

Best of luck...goodness knows my swiss cheese fingertips need it too!

Vegan Momma to DD1 (4.5) and DD2 (1.5). Gardening, creating, cooking and hoping for a change of scenery soon!

#77 of 122 Old 12-04-2009, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info, it helps to know I am not the only one dealing with this. Sprouthead, yes, the urine strip comes out negative every month. One more question for those who have already done the Glucose Tolerance test.....the directions say not to eat anything that morning. But the midwife said that I should eat and then tell them I have not eaten when they ask me. She also told me to bring a bottle of water in my bag and drink it in the bathroom before they take my blood. Seems so sneaky, anyone advised to not follow the test directions???
It's possible you could "help" yourself by eating some protein that morning...it would be a bit less of a shock to your system...but that all depends upon how you feel about the test itself (whether it's an accurate picture of your body's chemistry).

Water will have no effect...unless you drink A LOT!!! I imagine it would have to be enough to somehow slow your body's assimilation of the glucose? I have never read anything regarding water changing your response.

What I can recommend is getting enough sleep (I read somewhere that getting <6 hours one night can make anyone seem pre-diabetic) and trying not to stress. High cortisol and adrenaline (epinephrine) can make your body go fight-or-flight and keep your sugars high for survival. Your body will call upon sugar stores in your liver (glycogen) to maintain a perceived need for energy.

Our bodies always seem to be a little ahead of western medicine,eh?

Best wishes for a relaxed test and good results!

#78 of 122 Old 12-05-2009, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craft_media_hero View Post
Well, I feel silly for not realizing that quinoa is a complete protein I have a cannister of it, and tho the hot cooked grain thing is grossing me out lately, homemade baked goods sounds yummy! Do you have to cook it before adding it to a muffin recipe?

I've just recently leveled up to being able to eat beans after five o'clock, lol. Thank all the powers that be! I'm a bit picky about it still, but a black bean burrito is doable at this point. Seriously, I was wondering how I was going to get any protein at all for a while!
yes, but you could also grind the raw quinoa in a coffee grinder/food processor and use quinoa flour in addition to regular flour. there's a recipe in veganomicon with cooked quinoa and also here:
almond quinoa muffins

hh2.gif

#79 of 122 Old 12-05-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
I was told to eat a high protein breakfast that morning, about 2 hours before I drank the drink (which I did at home). I had beans and eggs and salsa, still scored borderline.

I've heard conflicting things about the glycemic index. Some sources I find say pay attention to that, some I find say pay attention to the carbs over that. My plan is to get the glucometer and start figuring out what my personal situation is so that I can plan better and know what affects my body.

Those are some great suggestions, Onthetrail! Can you find bran crackers just at a regular health food store? Any brand you recommend over others? Gonna have to pick up some almond meal at TJs today!

#80 of 122 Old 12-05-2009, 01:54 PM

Keeta! You're famous I saw your tree/belly picture in this month's Mothering mag and knew it looked familiar

Jen knit.gif crafty mama LLLactivist to DS1 (2010)bouncy.gif and DS2 (2012)blahblah.giffamilybed2.gif nursex2.gifribbonjigsaw.gif
#81 of 122 Old 12-05-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelinifer View Post
Keeta! You're famous I saw your tree/belly picture in this month's Mothering mag and knew it looked familiar
I know, it's so funny! One of the MDC mods actually contacted me to suggest submitting it to the magazine. I did and never heard another word about it until a Facebook friend told me she saw me in the magazine! My print subscription got messed up so I didn't receive one, had to go buy it. Pretty funny though!

#82 of 122 Old 12-05-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelinifer View Post
I saw that too! I was like, hey I know her from the vegan thread

Lovin my sweet babygirl 3-17-10love.gif and expecting another in March! love.gif

#83 of 122 Old 12-06-2009, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeta View Post
I was told to eat a high protein breakfast that morning, about 2 hours before I drank the drink (which I did at home). I had beans and eggs and salsa, still scored borderline.

I've heard conflicting things about the glycemic index. Some sources I find say pay attention to that, some I find say pay attention to the carbs over that. My plan is to get the glucometer and start figuring out what my personal situation is so that I can plan better and know what affects my body.

Those are some great suggestions, Onthetrail! Can you find bran crackers just at a regular health food store? Any brand you recommend over others? Gonna have to pick up some almond meal at TJs today!
Keeta, sorry to hear about the results...but read this if you get a chance (it's Michel Odent's info re GD)
http://rixarixa.blogspot.com/2008/01...ent-on-gd.html
It is still hard for me to decide how I really feel about GD...it's so hard disengage the whole western medicine thing when it's not just about your health! But then again, is starving your body of healthy, unrefined carbs really good for your baby? I try to believe that our bodies which are growing babies need more available energy than someone who is not pregnant and supporting a new life.

Definitely go for the glucose monitor. It seems some people's bodies are just more sensitive to some foods than others.

The bran crackers are some european brand (the only ones I've ever seen). They are wrapped in clear plastic (smallish packaging) with a blue label, if I remember correctly. I really enjoyed them with a large slathering of almond butter and some fresh fruit on top (in lieu of preserves). Made for a nice evening snack.

If you begin to enjoy the almond meal, check out these blogs (some ask for eggs in the ingredients...I don't know if you're willing to give a little during pregnancy...I've been using a few here and there to allow for muffins!)

http://www.elanaspantry.com/recipes/ (Great baked goodies, great cookbook even though it's not completely vegan. Lots of eggs, especially)

http://www.thespunkycoconut.com/ (Her cookbook is great, even though it's also not completely vegan. The almond muffins are great with cherries, I subbed agave for the honey)

Oh and congrats on the pic in the mag!

#84 of 122 Old 12-07-2009, 01:40 PM

wow. i've been absent from this thread for quite a while now. it's hard to believe that i'm second in line!

welcome to all of the new mommas-to-be! it's great seeing so many veg*ns on a pregnancy board!

update for me:

my horrid morning sickness returned, and i've been sick (vomiting) pretty much about three or four times/days every week for the past three or four weeks now. i haven't been able to stomach fluids well throughout my pregnancy (feel like i have to get sick any time i drink more than a few sips here and there), so i'm now on bedrest due to low fluid levels - my own and the baby's amniotic fluid levels. on a scale of 1 to 10, the ultrasound tech said that i'm a 6.5. apparently they hospitalize and IV women who drop down to a 5. so, no work this week until i have another ultrasound on thursday to check for any improvement. i've been instructed to drink lots of fluid, take it easy, and basically "be a slob"! i'm just super-glad that i don't already have any other kiddos at home (aside from our fur-babies)!

aside from all of that, i'm doing alright. i'm currently 35 weeks but only measuring about 29. the little guy is a bit small - in the 25th-29th percentile for his gestational age - but nothing too concerning. they said he weighs about five pounds at the moment which really doesn't seem TOO low considering that he still has another month to grow before his edd. hopefully everything will be alright. fingers crossed.

well, i need to go find some breakfast. best wishes to everyone on their baby journey!
#85 of 122 Old 12-08-2009, 06:18 PM

ds is currently trying to wrestle with me but i just wanted to share this clip: http://www.pbs.org/saf/1110/video/watchonline.htm

the clip labeled "the desert's perfect foods" talks about foods that help regulate people's insulin naturally.. wasn't sure if it would help some of our mamas here? i wonder if conflicting research is due to the fact that people's bodies really do respond to foods differently, and everyone probably just needs to find what works best for them.
#86 of 122 Old 12-09-2009, 01:29 AM

i'm new round these parts but wanted to say hi! i'm 36 weeks pregnant with my first kiddo. due date is 01/01/10 or so.

i'm not even sure what to call myself diet wise anymore. i've been vegetarian since i was 11 (i'm 34) and vegan since i was 22 but we recently got some pet chickens and i have been eating their eggs. i still *feel* like a vegan because i won't eat anything else with animal ingredients in it but since i get to control how these chickens live their lives, i feel very at peace with eating their output. they had organic bok choy today - life can't be that rough. it's a funny position to be in because friends will invite us over for dinner and ask if i have dietary restrictions and i tell them i'm vegan but then will make them cookies or something else that has egg in it. (that's another funny story... i've been doing vegan baking for so long i have had to force myself to use eggs in recipes instead of flax or ener-g egg replacer) sometimes labels just complicate things. i should probably just switch to calling myself a conscious omnivore but that would likely confuse things even more.

anyhow, enough about that. the pregnancy has gone smoothly and pretty comfortably so far. no complaints except that i can't play on my trapeze anymore! soon enough though! i'm excited to be here! i've been reading the forums for several months but just created an account yesterday.
#87 of 122 Old 12-09-2009, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usagi View Post
i'm new round these parts but wanted to say hi! i'm 36 weeks pregnant with my first kiddo. due date is 01/01/10 or so.

i'm not even sure what to call myself diet wise anymore. i've been vegetarian since i was 11 (i'm 34) and vegan since i was 22 but we recently got some pet chickens and i have been eating their eggs. i still *feel* like a vegan because i won't eat anything else with animal ingredients in it but since i get to control how these chickens live their lives, i feel very at peace with eating their output. they had organic bok choy today - life can't be that rough. it's a funny position to be in because friends will invite us over for dinner and ask if i have dietary restrictions and i tell them i'm vegan but then will make them cookies or something else that has egg in it. (that's another funny story... i've been doing vegan baking for so long i have had to force myself to use eggs in recipes instead of flax or ener-g egg replacer) sometimes labels just complicate things. i should probably just switch to calling myself a conscious omnivore but that would likely confuse things even more.

anyhow, enough about that. the pregnancy has gone smoothly and pretty comfortably so far. no complaints except that i can't play on my trapeze anymore! soon enough though! i'm excited to be here! i've been reading the forums for several months but just created an account yesterday.

You have a trapeze? That is too cool! Do you perform professionally on them or use them for fun?

Jen knit.gif crafty mama LLLactivist to DS1 (2010)bouncy.gif and DS2 (2012)blahblah.giffamilybed2.gif nursex2.gifribbonjigsaw.gif
#88 of 122 Old 12-10-2009, 10:08 PM

Just for fun these days. I've never been able to support myself on it solely but did used to perform with a local circus in San Diego. Fun stuff.
#89 of 122 Old 12-11-2009, 11:06 PM

Hi and welcome usagi!
A trapeze, raising bok choy eating chickens...you sound like fun!

#90 of 122 Old 12-14-2009, 05:47 PM

So, how much protein does a pregnant vegan need anyways? I am particularly on the small side, fluttering around 100lbs before pg, haven't weighed myself yet *shrug*

Are you all eating more protein than usual? I've been mostly eating what I normally would, with a bit larger portion sizes. Just kinda doin what comes naturally, kwim?

The worst of the nausea is mostly over, I think. lol. I'm pretty much able to eat normally after noon these days. I do try to eat healthy, but I've always been a bit skimpy on the protein side, and now with food aversions . . . I never can tell if I'll be able to eat beans, and still can't really do nuts yet (maybe in pesto, heheh).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page