Elderberry - how safe? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-13-2009, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, so just spoke to someone at M/W office about taking Elderberry when pg.
She said that NO herbal anything should be taken in pg, not even herbal tea.
I told her why I wanted to take it ( Immune boosting for Flu season ) she said that I should take the flu shots anyway.
Ok, so I should not take a berry extract that has been around for many years, but I should get a vaccination that has been tested in 60 pg women thus far???

Can anyone give me some info that shows that it is safe in pregnancy please?
The Eblderberry syrup that I have is from Honey Gardens and it has raw honey, elderberries, acv, propolis and echinacea in it.

Thanks so much.

Me and Dh partners.gif, Dd1bouncy.gif  Dd2dust.gif,Ds1joy.gif, 2flowerkitty.gif, 2hamster.jpgand lots of goldfish.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 10-13-2009, 08:03 PM

I'm just winging it here from my past knowledge, but elderberry is safe in pregnancy. My mw rec. it when I feel sick or sore throaty. I'm not sure about the echinacea, however. Seems like in my brain that is in the "not while pregnant" list.

I think there is a thread somewhere recently talking about ways to prevent the flu. I'm doing vit. c (emergen-c) and probiotics and fish oil, as well as prenatal.

The H1N1 vaccine is a class C drug, meaning it has not been tested even in pregnant animals to learn of its effect on fetuses. So, even though everyone is pushing it for pregnant women, you have to really ask yourself if you are a good candidate for it, or if you think you'd fare better just getting through the illness should you get it.
#3 of 7 Old 10-13-2009, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Moonglow, I was thinking that same thing as far as echinacea, but am pretty sure that elderberry would be something that would be safe.
I take RRLT also whilst pg, but if I was to listen to that nurse's advice, would be "scared " to take it.
I am totally with you on the h1n1 vax too, it just makes me really hopping mad that it is just being pushed, without any type of discussion taking place.
I will not be getting the vax, and neither will my children, so I am looking for preventative methods.
It's just a bummer that the brands of elderberry that I looked at today ( Giaim) being one of them, had the pg warning label on them. Wonder why that is?
Thanks for taking the time to post.

Me and Dh partners.gif, Dd1bouncy.gif  Dd2dust.gif,Ds1joy.gif, 2flowerkitty.gif, 2hamster.jpgand lots of goldfish.gif

#4 of 7 Old 10-13-2009, 08:52 PM

Just chiming in to say that elderberry extract has been a also been a lifesaver for my family for the past several flu seasons. We don't get vaxxed either, and I most certainly don't plan to while pg. I use a Sambucol formula that doesn't contain echinacea. When I checked on their website, they didn't want to say "safe" during pregnancy, but that was primarily because they haven't done done safety trials to determine absolute safety. I must admit, however, that I took it while pg with DS without even thinking about it. It had no negative effects on either of us, as far as I can tell.

Susan--SAHM/Freelancer, wife to Neil;  nonvaxing, CLW, cloth-diapering, homeschooling Mom to Benjamin, 5, and baby Daniel, born via VBAC!
#5 of 7 Old 10-13-2009, 09:01 PM

I'm taking Elderberry daily (without echinacea). My midwife (who is also a ND) says it's a great thing to take during flu season.

mumma to sweet 7 year old girl
and darling 2 year old guy

#6 of 7 Old 10-13-2009, 09:10 PM

Everything has a pregnancy warning on it, it's a legal thing so that you can't sue them if you take it and your baby comes out less than perfect. It doesn't mean the thing is unsafe. Tums have a pg warning on them, and I wouldn't be surprised if prenatal vitamins carried them...

slingboy.gifTaking care of 2 girls:energy.gifblahblah.gifb& a babyboy.gif born on his mama's birthday and a few chicken3.gif
#7 of 7 Old 10-13-2009, 11:11 PM

[QUOTE=SusanMy;14521420 When I checked on their website, they didn't want to say "safe" during pregnancy, but that was primarily because they haven't done done safety trials to determine absolute safety. [/QUOTE]

which would make it a "class C drug" if herbal stuff like this was regulated (at all, by anyone) by the FDA.

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

User Tag List