Did you avoid all caffiene? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-20-2009, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We just found out I'm pregnant yesterday

My question is:
Did you avoid caffeine, and especially coffee with your pregnancies?

With DD, I was so sick I couldn't keep anything down. My coffee pot got dusty, but than during my 2nd trimester I allowed myself one cup a day.

Now, I feel fine thus far. I'm hoping it stays that way - I have sore sore sore sore SOOOOOOOORE [can not stress this enough] boobs and I'm pooped, but not sick. A little weary of some things, but not coffee

So, my question is:
Did you completely give up coffee?
Did you have a cup or two?

I'm just wondering because to be honest, I forget what being pregnant is like even though it was only a few months over two years ago!

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2009, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
I won't lie--I drank coffee this pregnancy. In fact, I have a cup right now!

My first pregnancy, I avoided ALL caffeine, even chocolate. Which is my all time favorite food, so it was a huge sacrifice. I feel a little guilty that I did not completely give up caffeine this time around. But one cup every few days seems ok with me for some reason. And up until the second trimester, I hated the smell and taste of coffee.

I'm not saying it's good or bad to drink coffee during your pregnancy, but I wanted to be honest and admit that I have

"Medical propaganda ops are, in the long run, the most dangerous. They appear to be neutral. They wave no political banners. They claim to be science. For these reasons, they can accomplish the goals of overt fascism without arousing suspicion.” — Jon Rappoport

Old 10-20-2009, 10:33 AM

In my first trimester I pretty much avoid all caffeine. I can't say that some didn't slip through here and there (chocolate, etc) but for the most part I wasn't drinking coffee, caffeinated teas, etc.

Then much later in my pregnancy I start to relax a little and have the occasional single cup of coffee or diet soda. Maybe a couple times a week? If there is a decaf/caffeine free option I take that instead, and if I am going somewhere really heavy on the caffeine (Starbucks, etc) I always get a decaf.

Once the baby is born I scale way back on the caffeine again for the newborn nursing period.

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
Old 10-20-2009, 10:40 AM

I did just because I did not want it. It was not worth it to me in the first trimester. I eat dark chocolate everyday now though. Be careful about Decaf coffee though- sometimes it's decaf bc of chemicals and you should ONLY drink natural water pressed decaf.

Mommy to one champagne.gif
Old 10-20-2009, 10:40 AM

One cup of coffee per day every day this pregnancy...it's my first, though, so I don't know if it's had any effect on the baby, but I couldn't deal with the headache! I have read that 500mg or less of caffeine per day is fine during pregnancy. I think a cup of coffee is about 300mg? I switched to a smaller mug, too, to make sure it really is only "one cup."

Birthed a beautiful baby boy, Ethan, 11/11/09.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I gave it up. Just now at 5.5 months I've started having some green tea. Before that, however, I would have a sip of my husbands mocha (just a sip) maybe a couple times a month....and if someone made a chocolate dessert, I'd eat a little of that. But that's just me. I think my body is a little more sensitive to caffeine than others, plus it's my first pregnancy, so I'm probably more cautious. My other concern, besides the caffeine, is that your body absorbs less of your vitamins when you have it, plus my particular midwife really advises against it too. Everyone is different though. My friend just waited until she was out of the 1st tri and started back to a cup a day at 15 weeks.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I became very sensitive to caffeine a few years ago, so I've been drinking mostly decaf for a long time. Caffeine hasn't been an issue for me this time around. Coffee doesn't even appeal to me much, actually.

I think I occasionally drank caffeinated espresso drinks when I was pregnant with #1 - but not every day. I know that many women do it, and the babies are just fine, but I tried to avoid it.

Mama to Marcus (1/05) and Arianna (3/10). hbac.gif

Old 10-20-2009, 11:09 AM

I avoided all caffeine last time, but this time I have one cup of black tea per day. The research I've read indicates that amount has no negative effect.

Chai, DS (3/05) and DS (2/10)
Old 10-20-2009, 11:14 AM

I am currently drinking a BIG mug of half decaf coffee. I have one every morning.

Then sometimes in the afternoon I'll have a cup of black tea, but not usually.

Grace - wife to Jeff and mama to Nigella (11/08) and Orrin (01/10)- expecting a new addition (05/12)! Life is a whirlwind, but I'm learning to enjoy the ride!

Old 10-20-2009, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I never drink coffee, but I cut out tea in the first trimester, shortly after discovering I was pregnant (before that, I was drinking it to settle my stomach in the morning and to give myself an energy boost). I resumed drinking tea late in the 2nd trimester. I never gave up chocolate. In fact I make sure to have a little dark chocolate every day.

Now mom to a boy born January 2010. 
Cautiously expecting Dec 2014!

12/08 (6 weeks),  1/13 (11 weeks), &  12/13 (9.5 weeks)
Old 10-20-2009, 11:21 AM

yes and no. I try not to have coffee or soda in the first trimester just in case. If I have to because of m/s I know a cup of either or wont hurt. Then in the second and third trimester Its safe to drink up to 2 cups (normal size cups not the venti at starbucks lol) a day.

BFPChart2.gif

Old 10-20-2009, 11:31 AM

I spent time weaning myself off of all caffeine before I got pregnant, so it really wasn't a big deal for me at first. (If I hadn't been able to do that, I probably would have allowed myself about a cup a day.) Plus, I heard about a study showing a link between increased risk of miscarriage and as little as two cups of coffee per day during the first trimester, so I avoided it completely during the first trimester.

Now that I'm in my second trimester, I'm more comfortable with a little caffeine now and then. Coffee smells horrible to me now, but I'll let myself have 1-2 glasses of tea or soda, spaced out through the day so baby doesn't get a big jolt.

Enjoying every minute with our new son, Henry, born 2/9/2010 :
Old 10-20-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinGirl View Post
Plus, I heard about a study showing a link between increased risk of miscarriage and as little as two cups of coffee per day during the first trimester, so I avoided it completely during the first trimester.

Now that I'm in my second trimester, I'm more comfortable with a little caffeine now and then. Coffee smells horrible to me now, but I'll let myself have 1-2 glasses of tea or soda, spaced out through the day so baby doesn't get a big jolt.
From what I recall the risk of miscarriage was correlated with 20oz or more of coffee per day. But now that I go looking for links, it seems that better designed recent trials don't find any connection at all. Caffeine intake does not affect birthweight or length of gestation which makes me feel better about having my soda or tea.

I would be most concerned to stay hydrated with real water as well, and watch out for the refined sugar we all like to put in our caffeine.

ohhh and I found this helpful link:

http://www.nichd.nih.gov/news/releases/caff99.cfm

BFPChart2.gif

Old 10-20-2009, 11:51 AM

During my 1st trimester in both pregnancies, I only drank green tea and an occasional (once a week) half caff latte. Now that I'm in my 2nd tri, I drink either one cup of hot chocolate, green tea or half caff latte a two to three times a week. They say to avoid no more than 120mgs of caff during your 1st as it could increase your risk for a M/C.
Also, I had horrible headaches during my 1st trimester that my doc told me to have at least one serving of caff today to help get rid of the pressure from the headaches.

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
Old 10-20-2009, 12:13 PM

I limited it to 1 cup/day with DD1. With DD2 I maintained what my Dr said was the safe limit throughout my entire pregnancy (I believe it was 200mg total). This time, I am a bit sicker so coffee does not sound good yet. However, I dont think twice about have a couple cups of green tea a day, and fully plan on a small cup of coffee or two a day when my stomach allows. I am pretty careful to keep it under the 200mg recommended limit. I feel pretty comfy with this given no history of miscarriage and 2 very healthy and uneventful pregnancies. Right now I am just trying to get enough down to avoid caffiene headache.

I will say, I love my coffee more than most anything else I consume.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:28 PM

nope. I'm a coke/chocolate addict.

I freely admit it. I did cut down on both but I'm very ugly when I try to give up either of my addictions.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:33 PM

I drink at least one coke a day, with no shame. In fact, I pretty much need it to stave off migraines. I actually drink more soda now than before I was pg, because my midwife helped me to figure out that it keeps these migraines away (they apparently get worse with pregnancy).
I also occasionally have a treat from a coffee house. As long as I don't overdo it, I see no reason to not indulge!

Sabrina loving wife to Nate , frazzled mom to Gabriella (1-23-07) and Robert (2-9-10) My bed and heart are overflowing!
Old 10-20-2009, 01:45 PM

No coffee during the first trimester, then after I would have one 1/2 cafe/decaf drink per day. I worked full time so it helped me get going in the morning.

E married to J, angel1.gif 7/08, DD 10/09, DS 5/12

http://minimummama.blogspot.com/

Old 10-20-2009, 01:46 PM

Because there is a positive correlation with caffeine use and miscarriage in the first trimester, I waited until the second trimester to drink coffee again, but not just any coffee! Espresso. And I started with drinking HALF of a single latte, and am now drinking a full single.

One of the immediate benefits was that I am no longer constipated. It's amazing. I guess it could also just be second trimester acclimating, too.

I recommend sticking with espresso. Regular coffee has more acid, and espresso is cleaner and you always know how much caffeine you're getting. Each cup of coffee is different. In one cup of coffee, you may be getting the equivalent of 3 to 4 shots of espresso! You never really know. With espresso, you have a much better idea about what you are putting into your body, and it's a real treat!

First time mama to sweet *~....:: Eden Magnolia::....~*  4/3/10
Old 10-20-2009, 01:48 PM

Oh and I wanted to mention that I had a similar first trimester to you, Mammarific, with no morning sickness but TERRIBLE exhaustion. I know that coffee may have helped, but I think its wiser to refrain as much as possible during such a precious time of the embryo's growth.

First time mama to sweet *~....:: Eden Magnolia::....~*  4/3/10
Old 10-20-2009, 01:59 PM

I am a coke/coffee/chocolate addicit as well. I cut down both while pregnant but did not eliminate them. I went from probably 5-10 cups a day down to 1-2 cups..

right now I have a small cappuncio with lots of milk every morning (or black tea)

some days I will also have a can of soda, but rarely.. maybe 1-2 times a week ..

and I eat a few small pieces of dark chocolate (think 1/4 of a bar) every day or three. ..

I should add caffeine helped a TON with constipation and headaches.

DS1 Dec 2009 fuzmalesling.gif DZ Twins July 2012 babyboy.gifbabygirl.gif

Old 10-20-2009, 02:22 PM

I ate chocolate almost every day through the first trimester , but didn't start drinking coffee again untill about a month ago. Since then, I've been having about a half mug of coffee in the mornings, and make up the rest of the mug with soy milk.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:23 PM

I had 1-2 cups per day.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:04 PM

I cut it out for the first 20 weeks last time. This time I never cut any out at all. Love my coffee.

Aimee
x2 11-07 and 12-09
Old 10-20-2009, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I avoid it in the 1st trimester, but after that I just watch my intake. I am not a pleasant person in the morning until I've had my 2 cups of coffee!

A, wife to R and mom to 3 boys: D~ 10/05, J~ 8/07, and B~ 12/09 and welcoming a new little one in May 2015
Old 10-20-2009, 04:10 PM

I cut back, but I didn't give it up. I started to go that way, and ended up with screaming headaches that made my morning nausea worse, so I kept, at a minimum, 2-3 caff items in my daily intake. I actually had found a coke at breakfast helped tone down the nausea for me!

However, keeping in mind that I cut myself down to about 1/3 or my normal daily intake, I think I did pretty good for myself.

Angie, proud Army wife to Dan, mom to Kat (4/00) and Gracie (11/09)!!
Old 10-20-2009, 05:12 PM

I don't have any caffeine early on in the pregnancy, but I will occasionally have a pop with caffeine later on. I don't like coffee but I love my Dr Pepper. I don't drink it daily but sometimes I do indulge when I really need one.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
Old 10-20-2009, 06:02 PM

I avoid it first trimester - unless I have a migraine, as I feel a cup of coffee is far less harmful as a headache cure than ibuprofen or something stronger. But that was two cups total the first trimester this pregnancy.

Now that I am in the second trimester, I am drinking one (8oz) cup in the morning. I want more, but I am concerned, 1) about the latest studies that seem to indicate that it can cause problems and, 2) more importantly (at least for me) that more coffee will cause other issues, like dehydration or give me false energy so I will be inclined to overdo. The single cup doesn't seem to do that, just helps me wake up and focus.

FWIW, I did the same through my first two pregnancies, and both girls are perfectly healthy and normal. I did give up coffee again for awhile during my second pg when dd2's twin was diagnosed with a congenital heart defect, but according to the pediatric cardiologist, even that was optional. I just wanted to feel like I was doing everything I could.

Wife to Thomas, WAH mama to Sofia Rose 8/04, Ellen Marie 10/07, her twin sister Amalie Joy lost 7/07 , and Maya Grace and Hannah Miriam 4/10
Old 10-20-2009, 06:19 PM

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
I'm concerned about the added risk of miscarriage with extra caffeine so I reduced my daily travel mug of black tea to a travel mug of green tea every other day. One thing to remember with caffeine is that when they talk about a "cup" they only mean 8oz so if you don't drink your mug out of a standard size coffee mug (mine are probably 1 1/2 times the size!) then you need to take that into account. If the average cup of coffee has 150mg of caffeine and you're having a travel mug full that's 16 oz, you're relaly getting about 300mg of caffeine which is the recommended limit.

Me + DH + Daniel (7/5/10)
Old 10-20-2009, 06:25 PM

I continued to drink a cup of coffee most days during all four pregnancies. No concerns, no regrets

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.

User Tag List