So frustrated I could just cry! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-22-2009, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am 28 weeks now. I have been unhappy with my current MW and have been trying to switch to a different practice. After 4 weeks of calling and waiting for them to "approve" my transfer, I have basically been told they don't have any openings anyway. UUUMMMM>>> you could have told me this 4 weeks ago! So now I either have to stay with my current MW or HOPE another practice will take me. Which has to be unlikely at this point.

My current MW is difficult to get in touch with to say the least. I have SPD, my pubic bone is seperating, and it hurts like HELL! For whatever reason she doesn't seem to be taking me very seriously. She prescribed me percocet, which infuriated me, because I didn't ask for narcotics. I just asked for her to call me back, but now I feel like she is treating me like a whiney drug seeker! I asked the nurse today if she would be willing to write me out of work on disability. My husband and I have already discussed the pros and cons of it. She said "no, she wasn't comfortable doing that"!!! WTF!!! There are days when I can hardly walk or I'm crying in pain and she's not comfortable with that!?? I said "it's my paycheck, not hers"....the nurse seemed sympathetic.

I would like to tell you what my "work" is. I am an RN in the ICU. I am on my feet 12 hrs a shift for 3 straight days. I lift, pull, push...you name it. We are also the "designated" H1N1 unit for those patients needing ICU. And we have mandatory flu vaccines (seasonal & h1n1) and pregnant women have been threatened if we try to refuse to care for h1n1 patients. I think I have VERY good reasons for being signed out of work!!! Plus 3 kids at home don't make it better.

Sorry, I just needed to vent because obviously there is little I can do about it at this point! Any suggestions beside going completely off on my current MW.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 10-22-2009, 01:24 PM

That's sucks... I hope you can get it sorted out.

Always,
Jill

Mom to DD (6/08), DS (3/10), and babyf.gifdue 6/12

#3 of 9 Old 10-22-2009, 01:39 PM

She doesn't sound very nice or caring. I hope you find someone else soon.

*formerly apecaut*, Mom to A, Calliope (stillborn 40 weeks 6/22/07), A and O
#4 of 9 Old 10-22-2009, 02:08 PM

Unfortunately, I'm not sure that switching practices will help. My OB pretty much says "welcome to pregnancy" if SPD is mentioned. They just have no idea how bad & debilitating it can be. I can't imagine being in your shoes - there's no way I could handle being on my feet for that long. I'm lucky enough to be a SAHM with my own small business that I do out of the house, so I am able to rest a lot. But I still get to the point of tears and unable to move in the evenings if I over do it, even just by doing a few too many loads of laundry!

Have you tried a chiropractor? My last pregnancy was way more painful than this time around and a truly feel that it is because I started chiropractic visits earlier this time in anticipation of the pain. Find one certified in the Webster technique, it's amazing how much better you feel after a few adjustments. The very first visit last time, I hobbled in barely able to shuffle along, then walked out like a normal person. It was incredible. Have you been to the kmom site? There's tons of good info there too...

http://www.plus-size-pregnancy.org/pubicpain.htm
#5 of 9 Old 10-23-2009, 01:49 AM

I'm with Noel_P! I finally have a midwife who believes me when I talk about SPD, but I know how unsympathetic providers can be, too! My OB used to tell me it was normal round ligament pains from being pregnant...uh, yeah, right...

Find a chiropractor! Last time around I couldn't even lay down to fall asleep I was in so much pain! I cried myself to sleep in a semi-reclined position so that I could lay down in my sleep when I wasn't conscious of the pain...then I found my chiro *sigh!* Very big improvements!!!

Good luck!!!!
#6 of 9 Old 10-23-2009, 03:00 PM

If you work at the hospital - you have a great resource, go ask the L&D and NICU nurses who the best OB's are and switch over to one of them. When ever I've needed a new doc, I've done this, and it has always been well worth it!

PS - as a chiropractor, I definately recommend that you go for a couple of consults and find one you like. They can be a huge boon to pg (and the average delivery time of a chiropractic patient is significantly lower than that of a non-patient. I'm married to one, so I can get adjusted far more often than most, but my first delivery was 2 hrs from first contraction to last, my second was 90 minutes. The 'official' average is about 60% less than a regular delivery.
#7 of 9 Old 10-23-2009, 03:19 PM

Ahhhh! To be married to a chiropractor would be awesome! I came home from my first adjustment during this pregnancy and told my DH that he needed to go to school and become one.
#8 of 9 Old 10-23-2009, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

I talked to a MW at a different practice yesterday on the phone and she was super nice. She completely acknowledged SPD as a REAL issue and confirmed it can be very painful. She set me up with an appt. next week and said the first thing we need to do is sign some medical disability papers! Thank goodness. I had me records sent this morning from the old office. YEAH!! It just felt good to finally have somebody LISTEN and say it is definitely a REAL diagnosis

As far as a chiropractor, I have gone to one and am afraid to go back because I couldn't walk for 2 days after that visit. I also went to a PT a few days ago and it made it worse for a day and then the same as before. I am getting a TENS unit next week.
#9 of 9 Old 10-23-2009, 05:14 PM

I did the PT last time before the chiro and it was horrible, made my pain much worse as well. Sounds like you might have had a bad chiro - if you find one experienced with pregnant women it can be really nice

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page