Anyone ever had their wisdom teeth/tooth removed while pregnant? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-28-2009, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi I'm 19w2d pg with our 5th baby (4th living) and I have a wisdom tooth that desperately needs taken out. I am in so much pain from the pressure and my face is swollen on that side.

Has anyone had a wisdom tooth removed while pg?

I'm very concerned about drugs that are used. I don't even take Tylenol while pg (or anytime) so I'm very anxious about it. Any thoughts/comments/experiences would be appreciated.

TIA!

Tabitha, married to my best friend Steven - Mama to 6 little ones and another on the way!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 10-28-2009, 03:35 PM

I've never had a wisdom tooth removed while pregnant, but I have had the majority of the others removed while pregnant with DD1. I was around 3.5 months or so, and my teeth were steadily deteriorating -- they were ugly, painful, and tended to cut my tongue.

I, too, was worried about the painkiller issue. I hadn't taken anything during that pregnancy for pain, not even tylenol, and I was horrified at the idea of having so much put into my system to have the teeth removed (and then I might need some afterward to deal with the residual pain, too, ugh).

So, DH and I sat down and he let me hash it out, the pros and the cons. He asked "Do you think you can make it until after the pregnancy?" The pain was bad, but maybe I could have held out. What finally decided me, though, was when I realized that I preferred the idea of having local anesthesia at 3.5 mos. to possibly having a true emergency at 6-9 months.

I had to go to an emergency dental clinic because I had no insurance (this place was cheap enough for us to cover it, AND the guy was willing to help me while I was pregnant, which many places said was too high-risk). They used some form of tylenol for the local anesthetic, and he said the maximum was 5 shots because I was pregnant -- we used 4 shots for 16 teeth. The scrip he gave me for after-pains was tylenol-3, but I didn't use any of them and just tossed back a few tylenol PM to help me sleep. If I'd known enough about herbs, and what to use while pregnant, I might've gone for herbal tea to help relieve the pain instead of any pills at all.

Anyway, I said all that to say that what you really have to do is determine whether it would be better to deal with the issue now or to wait until after the birth. For me, the best option was to take care of it as soon as I could, because the potential complications later were horrifying (and it wasn't just the pain issue, my teeth were literally falling apart)... and I really felt much better after the extractions -- even the after-pains were less than what I'd been dealing with prior to the procedure.

HTH, and good luck to you in whatever decision you make about yours!

Nikole ~ mom of NJ (10/98), TJ (10/04), and AJ (12/09)
#3 of 7 Old 10-28-2009, 03:50 PM

I had a wisdom tooth removed when I was 5 months pregnant with my first. I didn't get the normal stuff most people get when having a tooth removed... I just got a few shots of local lidocain (which didn't take, by the way ). I was given a prescription strength tylenol for afterwards, which I tried not to take but I developed dry socket (excruciating). Basically, I felt every second of the orthodontist cutting the tooth out, and the slow healing time was nearly unbearable.

Overall, I would not recommend any pregnant woman get her wisdom tooth removed during pregnancy, just based on my personal experience. I am all natural and very rarely take medicines and all that stuff, but if another tooth has to be cut from my jaw ever again, I want to be knocked out cold.

it was that experience that proved to me I could give birth without pain meds, because if I could survive that intense pain and just have a nasty old tooth to show for it, surely I could handle birth and have a cute baby to show for it.

Wifey to Hubby, Mama to Boy (2004) and Girl (2009). 
#4 of 7 Old 10-29-2009, 01:18 AM

I had one pulled when I was pg with my third, in the 2nd trimester, which I believe is the ideal time to do dental work if it must be done during pgcy (I could be mistaken). It was a straight extraction, no surgery. They numbed with Lidocaine and I took Tylenol afterwards as needed.

There was no way I could have withstood the pain until after the birth. It was worse than any other pain ever.

I also think that if there is infection (which it sounds like may be the case with you) that that may be as or more dangerous for the baby than the meds during and after the procedure. Obviously there are many factors to take into consideration there, but its just something to consider.

What you may want to do is talk to your dentist about the situation, and find out what drugs he will use. Doing some research on those drugs in pregnancy can help you to feel more confident that they don't readily cross the placental barrier, or cause you to ask him to recommend something else.

They will need to do an X-ray of the area, or they can't confidently safely extract it. They'll cover you with the lead blanket, and they can just take one shot of the specific tooth, for minimal exposure.

Sorry you're in pain!! Tooth pain is the worst.

~ Colleen ~ Joyful Unschooling Pagan mama to hearts.gifenergy.gifsuperhero.gifjog.gif and babyf.gif
"When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead."
#5 of 7 Old 10-29-2009, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collinsky View Post
I also think that if there is infection (which it sounds like may be the case with you) that that may be as or more dangerous for the baby than the meds during and after the procedure.

Dental infections can get bad quickly, and can be dangerous to the unborn baby.

I don't have any experience with having wisdom teeth out while pregnant, but based on my experience getting them out, my preference would be to do it before I have a baby to deal with. Can you get a second, third, etc. opinion about your pain relief options?

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

#6 of 7 Old 10-29-2009, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I agree... I think it is probably infected at this point. I talked with my midwife and I'm trying TTO in the meantime. I'm hoping to make it thru the pregnancy, although that brings up other concerns for afterwards. I really do not want to leave my brand new baby to have a wisdom tooth extracted. And when I'm finished I would want to nurse and so I don't know if I'd really be any better off waiting until after the babe is born. However, I am terrified of any drug passing, even remotely, to the baby. My daughter has issues with her teeth that the dentists have said is because of something she was exposed to in utero. Plus she had a reaction to a vaccine, which is sorta off topic but those are some reasons why I'm so paranoid!

This is the second time I've had this pain/infection/whatever it is this year. It's been almost 9 months since the last time, but I know it will continue on until this stinkin' tooth is taken out. It's got just a little bit of gum covering it and I do my best to clean it out with some dental tools I bought, but it's really impossible to get down as far as those little germies go.

I made an appointment with the oral surgeon that I had already been referred to from my last dentist visit when I was in pain. I have the panaramic x-rays and I will not be consenting to any other x-rays so I guess if that's a deal breaker than I'm out!

UGH! I was up all night praying to God asking what I should do and what lesson I was to be learning from this.

Tabitha, married to my best friend Steven - Mama to 6 little ones and another on the way!
#7 of 7 Old 10-29-2009, 04:04 PM

I had 2 wisdom teeth removed when I was 9 weeks pregnant with my son. They only used novacane and I did not take any pain killers afterwords, not even Tylenol. It hurt for about a week afterwords and then everything was good.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page