Craving sweets - 8 weeks - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-03-2009, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey y'all,

I read in the Childbearing Year herbal book that a craving for sweets can signify the body craving more nutrients and minerals.

I am nauseated all day. I went to the Cafeteria where I work today (which usually has yummy soups, fresh salads, and hot plate of the day) and was just revolted at the selection. Either the food there is going down or my nausea is keeping me from eating what I need.

I came home and started to prepare supper for my family. Baked chicken stuffed with pesto and provolone cheese, fresh green beans, and some spaghetti on the side. Sounds good right? Well, I couldn't eat it It didn't taste good to me at all, even after I stood there and prepared it.

DH took me to DQ about two hours later.

Darla dishes.gif Jimguitar.gif Wrenflower.gif Papahat.gif Grandma dog2.gifNana Anne jumpers.gif & the Great Cosmic Mimi om.gif
3 houses - 2 blocks in the old neighborhood = 1 eclectic/traditional tribe!
#2 of 6 Old 12-04-2009, 12:09 AM

I too am 8 weeks and am in the same boat. Nothing sounds good. I can eat simple carbs including white breads and potatos. But seriously? anything with a ton of flavor or that is whole wheat or too nutrient dense in my bodies book is not allowed to cross my lips!! My doc said its perfectly normal and to try to eat the best I can but not to force myself to eat anything and then make myself sick. She says that the first trimester your body generally only wants things it can process easily and quickly, so white starches and sugar. And its completely true...I try really hard to eat at least a piece of fruit a day but even that is a struggle sometimes. I always eat a really healthy whole food diet but I simply cannot stand to eat anything at all from the nasuea so I am sticking to what Ican stand to eat!
#3 of 6 Old 12-04-2009, 01:51 AM

I've been reading lately that when you're craving sweets, it can actually be a sign that your body wants protein. Although it's really hard for me to make that leap from 'ooooh that frozen cookie dough looks good' to 'hey how about a chicken sandwich'. LOL When I was dealing with morning sickness, it actually really helped if I could make myself eat some protein in the morning (eggs, sausage) but half the time all I wanted was waffles which did not help at all, and chicken sandwiches which I normally LOVE disgusted me for a couple of months in the beginning. I did find that I could eat the vegetarian versions of chicken and sausage just fine w/o being grossed out, and it had some good protein in there to help w/ the morning sickness. But man it is rough for that first little while when you know you need to eat but you are scared to eat at all b/c everything just seems so awful.
#4 of 6 Old 12-04-2009, 12:35 PM

I was also told that craving for sweets indicates a need for protein. It worked for me in first trimester. Meat is fairly difficult for your body to digest. Beans, yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs and nuts also work. Try a handful of almonds!

mama to Rassa, born 12/9/09
#5 of 6 Old 12-04-2009, 03:59 PM

I have a pretty over active sweet tooth to begin with, but pregnancy really does me in. IME, the first tri is all about survival. Baby is very small, and will get what it needs from you. Stay hydrated, and eat what stays down. If it's white toast and potatoes, at least it's some calories and will keep you going. And even cookies usually have some egg in them. All three pregnancies I've started the day with an ice cold soda : It was the only think that stayed down and even remotely settled my stomach.

Amanda, mama to Owen (11/05) and Connor (10/07) and Aria (12/09) Recycled Wool Longies and Reusable Baggies
#6 of 6 Old 12-04-2009, 10:29 PM

Maybe some sort of protein bar/drink or meal supplement would be a good compromise?
I totally agree that while it is the least appetizing thing, protein REALLY helps with the nausea and exhaustion.

Mom to Lizzy born May 2007 & expecting Baby#2 June/July 2010

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page